August 2020 Developer Livestream Discussion

The -8 to revolts is unnecessary. The other changes are welcomed.
Might be more relevant in domination now. Given amenities were already more scare there

To my knowledge the only way to reach a deep negative in amenities is to ruthlessly fight every other civs and bankrupt yourself - which will happen quite, quite rarely.

Even if you are aiming for domination it doesn't mean you need to playing ruthlessly. If the player is careful, and take some time to deal with the amenities & gold, avoid the -8 is not that hard.

Which logically follows that cassius belli will matter more then, as a surprise war might not be economical.
Still an option since your opponent suffer as much as you on surprise war. But yeah in industrial era it may be stupid to declare a surprise war - attacking with 3-4 units you get -1 amenity, which can soon hurt your economy.

+5 faith for Grandmaster Chapel.

Actually I'm already building this one 100% of the times, unless I'm playing Hungary or Sumeria.

They always buff things that are already strong, while leaving the weak ones( e.g. Intelligence Agency which I build 0% of the times) unchanged.

Is +5 a small amount? I don't think so. If you get 50-60 faith per turn at that time, +5 means 10% of the total faith generated.

Its very small if you are invested in generating faith.

To my knowledge the only way to reach a deep negative in amenities is to ruthlessly fight every other civs and bankrupt yourself - which will happen quite, quite rarely.

Even if you are aiming for domination it doesn't mean you need to playing ruthlessly. If the player is careful, and take some time to deal with the amenities & gold, avoid the -8 is not that hard.
Clearly, you are intended to just build more ECs. You do really have to work to get to -8 though.
8 amenities is sixteen citizens. Having sixteen excess citizens per city is a crazy amount.
ECs are the tax on the wide empire, which is fine.

Clearly, you are intended to just build more ECs. You do really have to work to get to -8 though.
8 amenities is sixteen citizens. Having sixteen excess citizens per city is a crazy amount.
If there is a spy mission in the entertainment districts or city center that can lower amenity for a certain amount of turns it will be cool. But building EC make it more likely for enemy spy to reduce your amenity may be not a good idea.

I'm not sure what people want from the Audience Chamber. It does precisely what it's supposed to do. It fills a niche, but that doesn't mean it does so poorly.
I agree. In my opinion it was really only Foreign Ministry that was lacking. Now that it gives Diplo Favor it has use to me considering I've never really levied units.

I'm not sure what people want from the Audience Chamber. It does precisely what it's supposed to do. It fills a niche, but that doesn't mean it does so poorly.
If it's +2 amenity in city with governors, and somehow relax the requirement of governor a bit (like after removing governor you can still keep the benefit for 10 turns, or give an extra governor's title), it will be a lot better. Currently it just give so little.

You can say the same thing about the Foreign Ministry and the Grand Master's Chapel, and they got buffed. GMC is so much better than the Audience Chamber, and somehow that is the one that got the love. The only things that don't do "precisely what it's supposed to do" are bugged things, so I'm not sure what you are trying to get at here, because there are horrific buildings and wonders that literally no one builds, and you can still say it does "precisely what it's supposed to do". The point of balancing is to get stuffs that don't see a lot of plays come into play more often.

What I understand about ECs is that it works in the same way as IZs, is that area bonuses don't stack with one another? With the district being kinda weak before unlocking Zoo, I'm not sure if people are willing to build this district in multiple cities early on.

And Wide play got a little tougher. You're going to want to be very strict with population control now.

I won’t make suggestions, because apparently I’m don’t know what I’m talking about far too often... but as a frequent empire builder, I certainly will not be more strict with population control. For me, population is always up up up. This just means I will have to play more aggressively in stealing city locations, and possibly even start a war. Maybe actually build a scout in the ancient or classical era.

If it's +2 amenity in city with governors, and somehow relax the requirement of governor a bit (like after removing governor you can still keep the benefit for 10 turns, or give an extra governor's title), it will be a lot better. Currently it just give so little.

It's not meant for players who shuffle governors to and fro. And +3 housing is a huge deal if you value high population cities. If you don't, then that's an issue with the game's fundamentals, not the AC itself.

You can say the same thing about the Foreign Ministry and the Grand Master's Chapel, and they got buffed.

Not all niches are created equal. "I want to play with fewer, more developed cities" is a game-defining decision that anyone can make regardless of Civ. "I want to levy city-state units for cheaper" isn't a game-defining playstyle and it's a bonus very few Civs can get meaninful mileage out of.

And all the civs with Amenity bonuses. Think of the Aztecs now.

Actually I find Ottoman vastly underrated for this reason.

Amenities and strategic resources are the only hard caps in the game, and both vital, and Otto gets huge buffs to both (plus some very good military). Does another civ get buffs to amenities, strat resources, and its entire military?

They need to buff EC now.

What this does is buff the best pantheon in the game, which already got buffed due to the buff to feed the world. Like @Lily_Lancer said, they often buff stuff that is already very strong.

Still, I like the change. Spices things up.

Last edited:
Talking about amenities, Pete said that he found himself "trading a lot more actively" to keep amenities up.

I wonder, with this "a lot more active" trade, how long will it take them to realize how sorely lacking is their trade screen and their Resources tab in the Reports? Or will they still find them acceptable as they are?
Acceptable not to know at a glance which luxuries are actually required and which are already had by you or the AI. Acceptable to leave the trade screen and go to the Resources tab to check and then come back? Every time. Acceptable not to be informed when a trade deal expired and what was traded and with whom?

Top Bottom