1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] August Update Video Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Aug 17, 2020.

1. King Rad

King Rad Warlord

I like the random trees, especially the tech ones. I also think that the eurekas revealing the place of the tech on the tree actually makes sense. Civ is not a historical sim; it's more of an alternate history. As was pointed out, the development of specific technologies was often random, but also, the development of certain techs often led to trying to discover specific uses for that tech. Hopefully, the random tech tree will somewhat simulate this. There's not guarantee that a specific tech will be discovered, but a eureka would give you an idea that something was out there, and you might want to start researching toward that even if you're not sure what you're going to discover along the way. I think this pretty much sums up how much of the developments through history have occurred. And, at least so far, since we haven't actually played with this on, I think this is another great addition to the game that I will enjoy playing.

oedali, Josephias and 8housesofelixir like this.
  2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

But until recently we couldn't see the other direction. The first people to climb on the backs of horses didn't have the satisfaction of knowing that effort would result in Abrams tanks thousands of years later. They tried stuff to fulfill immediate needs, not to forge a winding path to some future objective.

3. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Warlord Supporter

Apologies if this has been asked but what do the characters behind Anton in the video mean? I don't recall them being there in the previous video and I tried scanning them with Google translate but no luck.

4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

It looks like we're seeing only part of the last character in a longer text, but maybe someone who can actually read hanzi or kanji (not sure which it is) can say more.

5. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

We can clearly see the last character, which means to transform. The one before it is cut off, but if nothing important is cut off then the 2 characters together would mean change, noun or verb. At least that is how I interpret what Google Translate gives me. My vocabulary in Chinese is extremely limited but I speak enough that I get some of the conventions and thus Google Translate is actually extremely reliable, but take it as you will. I am fully prepared for a native speaker to inform me of my mistakes. =)

As far as I know, the meaning should be identical regardless if it is hanzi or kanji, it is only the pronunciation that changes.

borad, Noble Zarkon and Zaarin like this.
  6. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

Eurekas and Inspirations could do with a rework. At the moment too many of them are a bit lame.

For instance, settling on the coast as a tech boost is fine, since settling is expensive and you won't always settle your first city on the coast.

But consider the Currency tech boost. There is no opportunity cost to it. You'll always get a trade route with Foreign Trade and naturally use it.

The tech boost for Currency should very obviously be "establish an international trade route".
    ---

The game has some great boosts, like requiring a wonder to boost the Theatre Civic, but many other eurekas/inspirations are boring and nearly impossible NOT to get, which to me makes them pointless.

These "boring too easy to get" boosts will detract from the shuffle mode experience.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Datgingah, Kjimmet, oedali and 2 others like this.
  7. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

In case you guys still interested about it, the phrase behind Anton is 変化 (henka, or bianhua in Chinese) which means change or transform in both Japanese and Chinese. The words themselves are written in the Japanese style of Chinese characters (kanji) so the context should be a Japanese one.

The words are seemed to be written on the lower part of a scroll, similar to a typical calligraphy piece, so I would speculate that the whole scroll has an idiom/set phrase writing on it, and 変化 is the last part of the whole idiom.

The lower left part of the scroll writes アントン, which reads anton - you can possibly tell this is the katakana transliteration of Anton's name, or how Anton's name should be write in Japanese. I assume that's his signature in Japanese; and since the writings on the scroll in general is also not very good (I'm sorry to point that out, Anton) it is very likely that Anton wrote the whole scroll by himself.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Meluhhan, borad, Kmart_Elvis and 10 others like this.
  8. AntSou

AntSou Emperor

:lol:

Low key burns are the best kind of burn.

9. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Poor Anton! He only wanted to be cultured! :lol:

I do like that the Firaxis team shows their faces and rooms in these videos though; it's more personable somehow, and that's comforting given the current pandemic.

10. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

I feel sorry to point that out, and I understand/want to say that ink brush calligraphy is very hard to master even as a Chinese/Korean/Japanese etc.

We generally considered those who can write good-looking words using ink brush as very literate, cultured people, it's fine if your writings don't look right initially.

Meluhhan, Equilin, AntSou and 5 others like this.
  11. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

As a Korean, I confirm that calligraphy is hard. No number of visits to the free "paint your name in ink" events in Seoul made me any better at it either. :lol:

Meluhhan, Equilin, Datgingah and 5 others like this.
  12. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

My parents have our name painted (in English letters) by one of those street artists who do the ornate figured calligraphy (or did in the 90s) on the streets of Seoul. They got them for both sets of grandparents, too.

Morningcalm likes this.
  13. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

Anton may have been using chinese characters to hint that China was getting an alternate leader

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  14. 8housesofelixir

8housesofelixir Emperor

That's Japanese style Chinese characters - compare 変化 (Kanji) and 变化 (simplified Chinese) or 變化 (traditional Chinese), Anton's writing is the former style. He also used Japanese to sign this piece of calligraphy.

If following this path of reasoning then it is Japan that will get an alternate leader

Meluhhan, racha, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Only if the Divine Wind never happened. :lol:

Meluhhan, Zaarin and Myomoto like this.
  16. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

I don't mean to rain on the parade , but doesn't "revealing through Eureka" kind of defeat the purpose of hidden techs ?

or you can just go to war :)
    Half-jokes aside, I agree that the interest of the game is exactly this, having some hopes of an alignment that is sometimes challenged.

agonistes and nzcamel like this.
  17. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

This has been discussed a bunch if you want to scroll up the thread, but to summarize:

Tech order is still random, and while you may reveal where a tech you want is, you still do not know which techs are before it, thus making it difficult to purposely get the Eurekas for the correct techs along the path. Furthermore, you now want to achieve the Eureka early so you can start planning ahead, which changes your priorities a bit.

Also the randomization aspect is still part of this mode, even if the hidden feature were totally rendered useless by Eurekas.

18. tzu

tzu Chieftain

Anton's message:

计划赶不上变化 - Jì huà gǎn bù shàng biàn huà.

---

计划 - jì huà
    plan
    project

赶不上 - gǎn bù shàng
    can't keep up with
    cannot overtake

变化 - biàn huà
    change
    variation

---

Plans always fall behind changes.
    Plan never varies as fast as change.

Meluhhan, Hawke9, CoconutTank and 4 others like this.
  19. Pietato

Pietato Emperor

So what you are saying is that the player is a Soothsayer Vampire. Canon!

Meluhhan, Equilin and CoconutTank like this.
  20. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Push into strategy game territory: select natural wonders
    Pull away from strategy game territory: random tech trees

Which is it, primarily, a sim or strategy game? Make up your mind, Firaxis.