Australian Civ

this is great work and a great civ to play as, thanks for making this :)

but i want to suggest 1 thing... in that screenshot where it has the units fighting the flag in the ui is just a green background with the australian flag pasted over it, i know its only a minor thing but it would look better if the whole thing was the australian flag

Charcoal said:
Yeah, that's my fault.
I'm also using hte Aus Civ mod as a "play" mod.
I've added in a unique building, and forgot to comment out/delete all the references to it.
I'm uploading a new v2.6 as I type this.
just follow the link in the first post, and it should work fine.

Sorry.

Well I am happy to say that all is working well now :D . I like what you have done :goodjob: . Are you open to suggestions of additional Australian leaders?

Tacitus said:
this is great work and a great civ to play as, thanks for making this :)

but i want to suggest 1 thing... in that screenshot where it has the units fighting the flag in the ui is just a green background with the australian flag pasted over it, i know its only a minor thing but it would look better if the whole thing was the australian flag

If the whole flag is the Australian flag, near the top, it gets very warped and looks ugly.
That way (with the actual flag on a green/gold background) was the best was I could come up with.

GeneralX said:
Well I am happy to say that all is working well now :D . I like what you have done :goodjob: . Are you open to suggestions of additional Australian leaders?
I'm open for anything :p

I should package and upload the newest version. Changes the text for the SAS, to SASR and nerfs them a bit.
actually it makes them a bit stronger, but a pre-req of flight and more cost, or possibly some other things :p

So now this question melds a couple different topic areas together, but does anyone know of any earth maps that have the australian civ included? vastly preferrably in Australia....

Hydrogeek said:
So now this question melds a couple different topic areas together, but does anyone know of any earth maps that have the australian civ included? vastly preferrably in Australia....

I don't know of any.

And if they are, they've been "not nice" and not told me that they have...

I don't particularly care what you do with nearly anyhting I make, just tell me when you plan to ;)

I thought adding Flight as a pre req tech would make it harder to get. But I've just looked at it and the Industrialism that it replaces costs the same and Flight doesn't depend on it...

So, I might:

-Strength: 27
-Moves: 1
-Req'd Techs: Flight and Rifling
-1-2 First Strikes
-Immune to First Strikes
-+%50 vs Machine Gun (Attack)
-+%33 vs Tank (Defence)
-Starts with Amphibious, March and Commando.
-Based off the American Navy Seal.

it seems hard to me, cause if you get the marine tech, you can trade it and everyone would get their marine, except you...

Charcoal said:
I'm open for anything :p

Could you include Lachlan Macquarie as a great leader (perhaps with traits of Expansive and Organised? :)

Hi mates... my first post. This place looks unreal!!!!!

Uhhmmm yeh the lighthorseman is uniquely Aussie, the SAS is a big no no.

Nicely polished work. I used this with 2 changes.

I dumped SAS and used ANZAC instead which I put in place of Infantry. I removed the bonus vs gunpowder and dropped the strength to 16 making them half the price to produce and giving them only immunity to first strike instead.

I also changed the the leader skills with Howard as Financial and Organised while Hawke was set as Industrious and Philisophical (on reflection after my first game, changing one of his to Creative instead would probably be an appropriate balance).

Actually Howard's 'creativity' trait was the reason I made any changes and the unit was just a case of while I was at it. While I appreciate the irony of choosing the trait for such a bold liar, I just couldn't stomach it's inappropriateness. Jokes lose their impact 12 hours into a game. Excluding his one-dimensional methodology, the man is anathema to culture and giving him half-price theatres is more irony than I can bare.

Thanks Charcoal. I was hoping someone would do a polished Oz.

John Howard traits should be:

1. Liar
2. Reptilian

Hawke should be:

1. Adulterer.
2. "Silly Old Bugger" (what he called a member of the public once that dared to ask him a question)

The special unit should be:

1. Can of VB - throw at the enemy, they get so pissed they become Australians.
2. John Howard lips - that kiss George Bush arse and so get units at half price but have to shadow all the US military moves.

The national flag should be the Union Jack with a small southern cross on the label - made in China by some half starved Chinese on 25c a year.

If I think of anymore I'll let you know or maybe not.

John Howard??? You're kidding me!

What's Howard done for Australia, apart from destroy access to higher education, drive Australia deeper into debt, and turn the country into a US satellite? Oh, did I mention the dismantling of wages and conditions and the ugly resurgence of racism?

This wrecker would not get a guernsey on my team of Aussie national heroes.

If you wanted to include a Liberal politician, why not Menzies? He virtually founded the modern Liberal Party and presided over a long period of great prosperity.

Personally though, I think there should be a Aboriginal leader, since 99% of Australia's history is black. I don't actually know the names of any early Aboriginal leaders but I believe there were one or two who gained some fame for their resistance to white colonization.

Also, rather than having a recent leader to represent multicultural Australia, I'd probably go with Governor Macquarie. He was a farsighted individual who to some degree can be seen as a spiritual founder of modern Australia.

LastSoldier said:
Hey looks Great! How about the unique unit being a Digger? They can have defensive bonuses..

Actually, the WWI diggers were used by Britain as elite shock troops. So they should get offensive bonuses IMO. I also agree with the other guy that ANZAC should probably be the Aussie UU.

BTW, did you know that tiny Australia (which at the time had, from memory, a population of something like five million) had more battlefield fatalities in WWI than the United States? An amazing but little known fact.

screwtype said:
Actually, the WWI diggers were used by Britain as elite shock troops.

That’s an interesting assertion. What evidence do you base this claim on? :confused:

screwtype said:
Personally though, I think there should be a Aboriginal leader, since 99% of Australia's history is black. I don't actually know the names of any early Aboriginal leaders but I believe there were one or two who gained some fame for their resistance to white colonization.

That’s because there aren’t any leaders of the Aboriginal people as such. The Aboriginals were, and in many respects still are, tribal. They didn’t have a “king” or tribal chieftain, they had elders. One tribe was separate from another and at times in dispute with each other. Just because one Aboriginal was an elder in one tribe did not mean that they had leadership of other tribes. What traits would you give them anyway? Let’s not kid ourselves. The Australian aboriginals, as unique and special as they are, were not a “Civilization” in the true sense of the word. They were tribal hunter/gathers with a rich spiritual and cultural life but nothing more.

Top Bottom