Australian Summer Patch discussion thread

Just playing my first game after the patch.
So barbarians are even stronger than before and some people are HAPPY about that? Seriously?
In round 4 my capital was surrounded by barbarian riders. They do not attack the city in every round, but any unit that leaves the city is killed instantly.
That means building units is the only sensible thing to do for many many rounds. How can anyone find this good?
In my future games I will turn off barbarians completely. They were already overpowered before the patch, now it's just insane.

edit: ...and I am only playing on level "king".

So barbarians are even stronger than before and some people are HAPPY about that? Seriously?
In round 4 my capital was surrounded by barbarian riders. They do not attack the city in every round, but any unit that leaves the city is killed instantly.
That means building units is the only sensible thing to do for many many rounds. How can anyone find this good?
In my future games I will turn off barbarians completely. They were already overpowered before the patch, now it's just insane.

Yep, I love the fact that Barbarians are more of a threat.

At least you can switch the bastards off : )

The notes refer to something like Barbarians going on a rampage if their camp is taken. I don't have the exact wording in front of me. Sometimes if you want a laid-back game it is better to avoid them altogether.

Just played another deity as ghandi. The AI seems to have bad amenity issues as it is but as I pop in to take a capital most have barbs pillaging them, probably rioting civilians. We know the civs do not fix their lands in a hurry. This also means they cannot build units in a hurry. AS Ghandi causes double weariness maybe he is a great warmonger to use.

Mine was working last I checked...

That's interesting. Can you verify the G key (default) toggles your grid? Using any mods?

stealing land with sheep and cows is awesum!

Is there a certain number of tiles it will steal total or for each city? The first couple pastures it bombed all surrounding, but I believe the third it only took 2 hexes.

Is there a certain number of tiles it will steal total or for each city? The first couple pastures it bombed all surrounding, but I believe the third it only took 2 hexes.

Like the Poland culture bomb, it will only nab tiles that are workable by the city. So if that sheep is right next to the city center, you're going to get all surrounding tiles, while a sheep in the third ring will not.

yeah but it is still possible to steal land from AI and CS. oh look your city is within my city radius and there is an empty cow there. BOOM it's MINE NOW!

I seems to me that the AI has been significantly improved, it's still not great but it really seems like they made progress. Gives me hope that we will continue to see gradual improvement as patches are released.

I find that if you remove city states and barbs and max out major civs the AI stays far more competitive. Civs will roll other civs when they are not distracted by barbs. I remove the CS to make more room for major civs, also I find AI envoy placement to be very wasteful and puts it as a large disadvantage.

So drop a level...or play more conservatively. As your cities don't bombard from the get go and barbarians are more aggressive again, you have to build more units immediately at the beginning of any game. This was obvious from the first play videos that youtubers did before the game was released four months ago!

That's interesting. Can you verify the G key (default) toggles your grid? Using any mods?

Yes it is the G key.
I have only downloaded two unofficial mods, both since being able to do so through Steam; but that was after I started my latest game and the mod that I've left enabled won't kick in till I start a new game.

Last edited:
Noticed 1 undocumented change. Setting land units to heal in water tiles no longer heals them. They must be on land. In the previous versions, I would jump into the water to heal, then back to attack when at full health.

Had enough testing.
Barb spawn is stronger which just encourages more military early but can also slow immediate attack.
Getting past that amd onto a civ is Ok but the Civ does build more archers now so nastier there.

From there it goes downhill
Archers not always in city walls and when they are there not always attacking and when they do they attack the wrong unit..... So more archers but same intelligence.
Not sure walls come up faster either
Lots of DOW if weak and not that many turn up to say hi.
It does seem the enemy is striggling with barbs and is just as easy to kill as ever with some apalling moves.

In essence , harder to start,easier to finish IMO

Another ROFL experience: Wanted to test the new earth map, decided to play as Russia thinking "i will surely have lots of space to settle".
The moment my first settler leaves the capital two things happen: The Romans (!!) build their SECOND new city right next to my capital AND Norway and Sumeria declare war on me.

Till today I used to play on level "king", but I will have to go down to "prince" obviously.

Another ROFL experience: Wanted to test the new earth map, decided to play as Russia thinking "i will surely have lots of space to settle".
The moment my first settler leaves the capital two things happen: The Romans (!!) build their SECOND new city right next to my capital AND Norway and Sumeria declare war on me.

Till today I used to play on level "king", but I will have to go down to "prince" obviously.

I hear you on the lack of space. I pretty much always play on the biggest maps available and miss the Civ IV days where it felt like an age of exploring almost on your own early on. Granted, city states do take up a chunk of the map...but surely that means that maps in V & VI should have been bigger than in IV. And all the maps in VI are larger than they were in V...except the large and huge maps! Which are smaller :mad:

I guess that cities do take up much more tiles than they used too; which probably makes the maps feel smaller even where they haven't changed. To be fair...

T

That's because devs with their infinite wisdom have made the AI basically cluster around the player in close proximity other than randomly spreading them across the map.

If you edit two files and change a couple of values that'l help.

You might try being more aggressive towards nearby barbarian huts. Nearby = within 15 hexes or so of any of your cities. If the hut is a lot closer to another major civ, you might be able to get away with ignoring it until you settle something closer. If you leave nearby huts alone, eventually they will probably try to overrun your cities. Go after them as soon as you seem them pop. I've been known to completely restart a game if my starting warrior is moved off in the wrong direction and a scout appears at my border. That is one of the most vulnerable periods and if left unchecked you will have a lot of barbarians knocking at your door.

On the plus side, with the new research requirements for horseback riding it seems that the barbarians are not immediately fielding horsemen like they used to. I am seeing a wave of warriors and slingers first. That's new.

Top Bottom