Autocensor Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
CFC has an autocensor in place to prevent people posting swear/cuss words. We have modified this autocensor in a manner that it now prevents people making a post with these words in it. It does this by a workaround of the vBulletin software, that changes the word to images, however changes it to enough images that the post can't be posted.

You will get an error message telling you this, and if this appears, please go back and remove the offending word(s) and try posting again.

Remember: Our view is that people can make their points without resorting to such language.

:hatsoff:
I couldn't be happier about this, as I hate infracting for swearing, having such a filthy mouth myself in RL.

Just remember people that avoiding the autocensor is as infractable as ever ;)

When it kicks the post back for editing, does it highlight the words that need to be removed in any way?

That is a good point, because sometimes what looks like a swear word isn't ...

Examples:
I am thinking of breeding my stud dog to my :):):):)
The share price has dropped because it is now cum dividend.

As long as it doesn't discard the entire post. Not that I use that kind of language anyway.

When it kicks the post back for editing, does it highlight the words that need to be removed in any way?
If you're using quick reply, it doesn't, if you click "go advanced" you can see the smilies replacing the banned words in the preview.

As long as it doesn't discard the entire post. Not that I use that kind of language anyway.
It stops you from posting the entire post.

edit: works

Dammit, the damn thing works!!

Well, as I usually post in Forum Games and in [civ3] C&C I won't be seeing much of it, but still… I guess it's bad. I mean, good, even though it clashes with a certain… Celtic heritage of mine. ;)
:hatsoff:
I couldn't be happier about this, as I hate infracting for swearing, having such a filthy mouth myself in RL.
You're Finnish, so that lets me guess at a lot of words beginning with 'P' and ending in 'erkele'. Uncyclopedia is very informative.
Mathilda said:
Just remember people that avoiding the autocensor is as infractable as ever ;)
Sounds like a challenge :mischief:

Double win for my suggestions! :smug:

This is absolute merda.

Your view is that people can make their points without resorting to such language is stupid (not a censored word... yet).
This doesn't need to be a contest to see how many cuss words you can put in one sentence, but acting like the no cussing club is also pretty ******ed (will this get me an infraction? whatever, it would just prove my point).

That is all.

Spoiler :
I :)smiley-faces:) HATE CENSORSHIP!

This is absolute merda.

Your view is that people can make their points without resorting to such language is stupid (not a censored word... yet).
This doesn't need to be a contest to see how many cuss words you can put in one sentence, but acting like the no cussing club is also pretty ******ed (will this get me an infraction? whatever, it would just prove my point).

That is all.

Spoiler :
Thanks for that mature response....

I, for one, would rather see this than the silly infractions for tripping the autocensor.

This is absolute merda.

That is all.

Spoiler :
That's because you are 17 years old. Don't worry though, you'll grow out of it. :)

Fyi they caught it even when I did it in morse code. Good luck :cool:

This is absolute merda.

That is all.

Spoiler :
I hope you're just trolling us. But then again, I've just read your signature… you'll grow out of this, don't worry.

You mild-mannered old people don't know how incredibly semantically flexible some of the curse words are. For one word I can count eight different verb meanings, 6 different noun meanings, 1 interjection, 1 adverb, and that's just without adding suffixes to the word, or using it in a compound. You can create complete sentences out of it. Sure, it's certainly incredibly offensive and has no place on a family friendly forum, but there is absolutely nothing linguistically unrich about it - the only word that has more different semantic meanings is the word "set."

CFC has an autocensor in place to prevent people posting swear/cuss words. We have modified this autocensor in a manner that it now prevents people making a post with these words in it. It does this by a workaround of the vBulletin software, that changes the word to images, however changes it to enough images that the post can't be posted.

You will get an error message telling you this, and if this appears, please go back and remove the offending word(s) and try posting again.

Remember: Our view is that people can make their points without resorting to such language.

Personally, I think this sort of measure is ill-advised. If you have a forum policy against profanity that people are breaking left and right, I'd consider that a moderation problem, not a technical one.

Beyond that, this is an international forum, and a single profanity filter will be grossly inappropriate. Will you censor "bloody" or "shag" because of the U.K. (apparently not)? "(F-word, rhymes with duck)" or "B-word, (dictionary definition: Female dog)" for the U.S.? "chin* (dictionary definition: approximately 'weak point in armor')", "Japs", "Nips", or "goo* (a word commonly used similarly to 'gunk')" for various Asian countries?

Where does it end? Pretty soon we'll be restricted to using a 25-long "acceptable words" list (Yes, I know, rampant hyperbole here). Pure silliness, if you ask me. Indeed, as typing up this post reveals, certain legitimate words can't be used here, even when they're the most appropriate ones to use.

You should really post a complete list of words we aren't allowed to use, so that we can know whether or not to say

"Oh, look, I've found a (insert word for weak point of armor, starting with ch and ending with that thing you put on paper with a pen) in your armor!"

But such a post wouldn't make it through the filter.

Any sort of word filter is bad. As Elephantium said, if people are breaking forum policy than that is a moderation problem, not a technical one.
And while it might sound ok now while it's just baning the F word it won't stop there. I know a forum where they banned the word Apple.

And while I mean no offense I must state that in my opinion if the staff feels that they have to take physical measures to enforce the forum rules. That tells volumes about their capability, or perhaps a lack there of.

I am making the following statement over several posts, because your silly filter insists that I have somehow used 84 images in my post. This has to be the worst idea in the history of forums, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom