Autumn 2017 Patch General Discussion

City Patron seems really cool in theory. However, if your city is brand new when you're making new districts, and you don't have much production anyhow, 25% might be a very small bonus. It'll be fun to try though.

It will make building late-game cities more viable as you can get a first district up quicker with a couple of trade routes.

I'm not sure this is a bug. It always felt like a bug you could actually save them, tbh. So to me this sounds as if this is what is intended.

It was my take that this was one of the intended benefits of pursuing early exploration, and why I frequently defend Norway's design as a flaw with the game, not their design. I feel like probably now with another early naval civ coming out that they decided to fix it. -But I always sort of thought we'd see a big overhaul to naval/exploration/city-state in the first expansion; along with Carthage and please sweet Dido with it even if everyone will hate you for it. :queen:

I can't wait to try out these new civs though, I don't even care if the game's still broken, that water lily is gorgeous.

It is a new game, I'm Indonesia.

And do you mean, you could end the turn while having envoys stacked up and ready to be sent? I can end the turn just fine when there's no envoys.
Yes. I got a new envoy, and decided not to use it and ended the turn.

Just started my first game after patch. As China spawned next to Scythia, literally right next to them. We were 5 hexs from each other. Testing further.

Edit: game two, spawned within 4 of a city state settler. Settings were Emperor/Small/Pangaea.

I'm dead serious about the leader animations -- does anyone else like the new "blurred" actions? Maybe my fps is off or something.

It's so bad I'm about ready to turn off animations completely.

The blur is the one thing about this update that I don't like, so far.

I haven't found a way in the options to turn it off, either.

I got a 50% discount coupon in my Steam inventory for the Digital Delux edition. What for? I can't buy the digital delux because i already have the standard edition, and can't use it for the DLCs alone either...

possible undocumented bug fix. Units don't seem to jump around as badly as they used to when quickly selecting units.

My first impressions so far:

Indonesia
1. Super fast pantheon is sweet, but if I was not playing as them, I would be peeved to loose certain key ones. (No idea if it is OP or subtly OP yet, but it could be ultra strong in the right strategy.
2. I cannot think of a more useless Civ landlocked. Harald has nothing on them. Had to reroll a game.

Khmer
1. I have early game concerns with these guys. They take a little while to get going. They do not have any early game benefits. All their benefits come early/mid-mid game. That's not particularly good on Immortal and Deity.
2. On a Prince game I had to actually fight a little hard to get a religion, with Egypt, Arabia, vs 2 others I have not met yet. (fractal map) The Civs that value religion are too aggressive in chasing that in my opinion. Why does the AI for Arabia have to get religion number 2, when they automatically get the last one? That may need to be adjusted.

Other things:
I wonder if Disgustipated is going to turn off barbs again. I am tempted to do so again. They feel even worse than before. In my Khmer game they really, really hampered my game and slowed me down tremendously. I'm sorry but I cannot enjoy the game as much as others when barbs are 80% of my concerns at all times. Their spawn rates are still too aggressive. I could not tell much because I cannot see every civ yet, but I wonder if the AI Civs are struggling with them or not. Only I started a war, no one else even went after a citystate. Alexander is too friendly and denounced me after I started a war, not sure if that is agenda to blame or what. Normally in the past, he never denounces war and will be your friend until the end when it is his turn to die.

Deal making is no longer broken it seems. This is good. I don't want to jinx it but it seems even better than when it was working before the last patch broke it!

I turned barbs off on my Indonesia game to see what difference that makes in regards to the AI.

That was only ever a UI bug though, the bonuses were still being applied correctly under the hood.

Sounds like you took a look behind the scenes?

tobacco gives one faith? Did it always do that?

Pretty sure so.

I got a 50% discount coupon in my Steam inventory for the Digital Delux edition. What for? I can't buy the digital delux because i already have the standard edition, and can't use it for the DLCs alone either...

You and me both. Pretty crass lol

Yes I'm sure it's not mods
Did you clear out .sqlite files, .json files, .log files, save files, and all the
other old crud in the My Games/ subdirectories after downloading the
update, installing the dlc, and then turning the computer off first?

I don't think they expected it to be unpopular.

Do you like it so far? Maybe my monitor needs its settings changed. It's a good monitor with no problems with any other graphics, including WoW and so forth. But a complete blur just makes my eyes hurt. Across the room it isn't as bad, but I obviously don't play Civ from across the room....

I'm dead serious about the leader animations -- does anyone else like the new "blurred" actions? Maybe my fps is off or something.

It's so bad I'm about ready to turn off animations completely.
I turned animations off a long time ago. I suppose I’ll have to turn them on to check it out, but to me they are just cosmetic, resource-intensive fluff.

I wonder if Disgustipated is going to turn off barbs again. I am tempted to do so again. They feel even worse than before. In my Khmer game they really, really hampered my game and slowed me down tremendously.

ha, speaking of barbs. They haven't bothered me much. But as Indonesia, I started with only 1 viable city on my home island. It wasn't a bad city site, 6 sea resources (though 4 are pretty far outside the city radius) and a river. My nearest neighbor who I wanted to conquer was completely besieged by barbs to the point that I didn't have much chance of conquering him early with archers because there were too many horsemen for my archer force. It just takes a while to get to shipbuilding, what can I say. I always struggle on island plates maps, and this is no exception.

I wasn't entirely happy with falling to last place, and it seemed like it would be difficult to crawl out of since attacking Norway looked difficult, so I am restarting on an Earth TSL (the Firaxis version) as Indonesia again. This will probably be really challenging again because of the small land mass, we'll see. I kept barbs on.

You mentioned hordes of barbs, I can tell you Norway was getting swarmed by them hard. My island was too small for so many barbs, but not theirs. Nearly every square was occupied by a barbarian horseman, horse archer, or barb scout.

edit: Okay the Earth TSL I start on a 2 square island LOL. :lol: Maybe I'll try a game as the Khmer. I'll give that as a challenge game for someone. I dare anyone to win a deity or even emperor game as Indonesia on the Firaxis TSL Earth map. No way I'm doing that unless I lower difficulty level.

Ok call me thick if you like. I didn't play for about 6 weeks and couldn't have forgotten everything. I could almost swear I never received a builder from a goody hut. But now I just did...

Those new pics in the Great people screen are beautiful. But you do have to scroll further than before to see them all for the record.

So it looks like City Patron pantheon + religious colonization basically means founding new cities with 25% off their first district.
Minor correction: +25% production actually works out to a 20% reduction in build time, so it's 20% off. Just like a +100% production bonus gives you things in 50% of the time, and a 50% production bonus gives you things in 67% of the time. :)

Anyway, it seems quite weak to me.

Ok call me thick if you like. I didn't play for about 6 weeks and couldn't have forgotten everything. I could almost swear I never received a builder from a goody hut. But now I just did...
Ok. You're not narrow. :)
Yes, you can get builders, traders and very rarely, a really, really
good free tech very early, like cartography.

welp, I have rebooted numerous time, but I still don't get the new Civs :(

It says I have the new content but for some reason, no SEA. Any ideas?

I had the same issue.
The DLC was displayed as “installed” at Steam (the box was checked), but not as “already owned”, when in the shop. (When clicking “purchase”, I was notified to already own the DLC, though).
Neither the new civs nor the scenario did show up in the game.

My solution:
Uncheck the DLC in the list. It gets uninstalled.
Check the box again and download the DLC a second time.
This worked for me, the DLC was correctly installed and usable afterwards.
I hope, this helps in your case, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom