1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MobBoss, Dec 17, 2009.

1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

The story is good, it's just entirely predictable. Schindler's List was predictable too, but quite good.

2. Yeekim

Yeekim Deity

"Most"? I don't think that was anywhere close to being a rule.

3. BasketCase

BasketCase Username sez it all

Well, I do.

Moving on. Discovered a BIG problem with this movie. Turns out those who watch it get, quite literally, a fatal case of the blues.

Audiences experience 'Avatar' blues

:eek:

Y'all might wanna take some Prozac with you to the theater for this one........

4. Karalysia

Karalysia Deity

I went high and it was really trippy. All those crazy colors and lights.

5. Huayna Capac357

Huayna Capac357 Deity

:eek: It wasn't that pretty!

6. BasketCase

Tell me about it. And people used to think I was the one with no social life??? I'm pretty sure the person who commits suicide over a damn movie is the one with the problem. :gripe:

Edit: Dammit. Worse news:

Re-edit: On the flip side, the following is credited to "templepriest" from some randm web site:
    Spoiler :

I don't understand Jake at all. First he's in the Army, then he's in the Na'Vi.

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The sex scene is obviously going to be in the dvd/blueray release in order to drive up sales. It's not like Cameron didn't know that they couldn't include it in the theatrical release and keep the pg13 rating.

8. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

9. Racsoviale

Racsoviale Smoke me a kipper!

Did anyone else think of Dune when you watched this movie. There were certain scenes I remember where I was thinking of the Dune universe.

And now when I think about the entire premise reminded me a lot of the development of Paul Atreides to Muad'Dib in the first Dune book. And the following deliverance of Arrrakis...erh Pandora through Dese...jungle power and the native freme... Na'vi.

Im not saying i didnt like it, I did, but I just kept thinking of Muad'Dib all the time.

10. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

While its catchy, its also hugely incorrect. Jake was a Marine....and if you refer to any marine as being 'in the Army' be prepared to have a sore jaw. Those guys tend to take such things to a whole other level....

11. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

there ya go

12. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Yeah, there are def. some similarities there. I've read the entire series though - the themes in Dune kinda get overshadowed by much larger themes in subsequent books - which is probably why I didn't make the connection.

When I was watching Avatar I was reminded mostly of Dances with wolves.

13. holy king

holy king Deity

they were us-troops in the movie?

14. Merkinball

Merkinball Deity

I am totally shocked that a Leftwing radical would ever use a movie produced in Hollywood to promote his political agenda.

15. Loppan Torkel

Loppan Torkel Deity

A bit ironic, isn't it!?

16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

17. BasketCase

It wasn't sex. It was Jake and Miss Blue Hottie plugging their USB cables together.

18. MobBoss

MobBoss Off-Topic Overlord

They were never identified as such, but the term 'marine' was indeed used repeatedly.

More than just the US forces have troops designated as 'marines' if you didnt realize this.

19. Glassfan

Glassfan Mostly harmless

I understood that these guys were mercs working for a private company. US troops are answerable to the President and the constitution, while mercenaries recognize no responsibility but to their employer. Jake wore a USMC T-shirt throughout the movie, but most mercs are ex-US/ex-Brit military anyway.

So I finally got to see the movie (and is my hinney sore). I thought it was a cross between Pocahantas and Fern Gully. But the special animation was excellent, and now I've got these cool glasses. Did that badass merc commander play Pickett in Gettysberg?

20. Atticus

Atticus Deity Retired Moderator

You got it wrong. The "definition" is claim for monopoly of legal violence, and that's not what they were doing. They were just practicing violence. Non-existence of state doesn't exclude possibility of violence. Someone might even say that there has to be an instance claiming the monopoly of legal violence to prevent the illegal violence, i.e. there has to be a state to prevent people using violence.