AZ-06: Jolly Roger

Aye, i'm up for how many turns? 15 or is it 10?

I'll get the sa'e at 15:00 Gmt+1 and play my turns.

Thin's t' do:

1) Scout better the triple gold and see if thar's a reasonable way t' get a decent city planted thar. (1N o' pigs looks best as thin's be right now, but it could change if thar's some resources on the un'eiled terrain). It looks like Jungle all around the 3 gold hills and irrigation will be a pain thar.

2) Mine that copper. Linkin' it up can wait (or mayhaps not).

3) Me guess we bein' size one means we''e whipped a worker.

4) Make a workboat and scout eastern island (we can later use it t' hook up a sea resource or send him explorin').

Research: After Ah tis' roads (if not researched), pottery, mysticism, meditation, priesthood if we keep on with the Oracle slin'shot thin'ie.

Looks like a hea'y production site will be difficult t' find. Tis' a pity we can't cottage those floodplains for commerce with city #2 or #3. Gar.

We will grow to size 2 next turn. We also have a chop coming in. Perhaps instead of the warrior make the queue 1) scout 2) work boat and that way we can quickly get an idea where the 2nd city should go. Before it gets founded we should tech Sailing for the coastal trade route. Other than that I would grab Pottery and then head down the Oracle->CoL path. I like the idea of REXing with Financial on archipelago maps, but we need to find some trading partners. I find if you can beat the AIs to the juicy seafood locations, then they will instead spam useless tundra cities and crashland their economies.

Arrr, alright, round played lads.

I took the liberty t' play 20. If you don't like it, just join the queue for crossin'swords with me.

I shifted production towards a scout in Nidaros before pressin' continue. Mayhaps our belo'ed pirate leader is right and the isle is larger than Me think.

T1-> Nidaros grows. Worker chops a forest.
T2-> Nidaros: Scout->workboat. Worker starts minin' the bronze. Scout heads soth t' explore.
T4-> Scout finds what's left o' a panther.
IBT: Initial scout is a'enged.
T5-> Nidaros grows
T6-> Research: Ah-> Wheel
T7-> Reach the southermost tip o' our island. Scout sees another Island Sw.

It looks like best spot for city #2 is doublegoldpig (1N o' Pigs). Worker mo'es t' Pigs as he has finished the Bronze Mine.
T8-> Scout gets t' Easternmost goldenhill and sees another island Nw.
T10-> Nidaros Wb-> Spear (as minin' the bronze apparently has linked it t' Nidaros and we already had hammers in'ested in the build). Wb mo'es Ne and starts explorin'.
T11-> Worker finishes pasturin' Pigs as Nidaros grows. Worker mo'es t' mountain 1SW o' Nidaros t' mine it.
Tundra in the Island Ne. We must be quite North. Howe'er thar's a patch o' Grassland in the Island. Shift Wb East t' in'estigate.

IBT: Scout gets eaten by a Lion that just appeared :mad:
T12-> Research Wheel-> Pottery
Aye, t15-> Nidaros grows and is unhappy. It'll only be for 1 turn though as the Spear is next t' completition.

T16-> Nidaros Spear->settler.

MM Nidaros t' get research cut in 2 for production o' Settler increased in 1 (8 turns)

IBT: Judism Fiadl.

T18-> Research Pottery-> Sailin'

Worker finishes the mine and chops 20 hammers int' Nidaros.

T19-> Nidaros whips 2 citizens t' mighty the Settler. 38 Hammer o'erflow Iirc.

T20-> Nidaros: Settler-> Axe (in 1 turn).

Settler and Spear be grouped and lea'e Nidaros for Doublegoldpig. Worker starts cottagin' Fp

Spoiler for known world and possible dotmap
Spoiler :

Greetings from our capital in 2200BC:

Ye'll ne'er get me buried booty!

Attachments

• AZ-06 Jolly Roger BC-2200.CivBeyondSwordSave
    60.6 KB · Views: 75
Ok, I'll play this tonight if I get feedback, but a few questions:

First, am I up for 20 turns or 15? I don't think this was ever laid out.

And next, what is our game plan? I'm a new civ player (8-10 games played total so far), and although I can win on monarch, my strength comes from intuition and micromanagement, not any kind of high level planning.

Is our plan to beeline the oracle, take metalcasting, avoid masonry, and lightbulb theology? Or take CoL with the oracle and focus on pumping out craploads of settlers? Or do we want the great lighthouse? Or can we get both?

I guess it's 15 from now on. But I'm new on Succession Games.

On the plans, although both of them would be nice, I don't know if we can both get GLighthouse and Oracle.

The original plan was to get the Oracle (for Metalcasting) and Bulb Theo with the profet.

Research like it'd be something like Sailing->Med->Priest (some 7+6+6 turns at the current rate).

After the current Axe I'd partially build another (for Barb duty) and then a worker at size 4 as we need to send one to city #2 to get those pigs and gold linked.

But I don't know if everyone here agrees on that plan.

The workboat should continue scouting and we should scout the islands SW and W as them being more central, chances are they'll have prime real estate.

I agree with Indibil's dotmap (though being pirates we should use 'x's and not dots to mark spots). Take 15, Zargon. I think the main task now is to get Sailing out quickly and start claiming those nearby islands. Getting The Oracle for MC and then going for The Colossus seems to be in line with our plan.

The problem with the Colossus is that we will not take the full benefit, though.

We're beelining for Astronomy (for Privateers) after all. However, it will become stupidly cheap in Nidaros with a forge and maybe worth denying it to the AI.

Arrr, well, the trick t' the pirate translator is t' not use any punctuation besides commas
I thought about makin' my report one enormous sentence, but instead I'll just endline after e'ery sentence

turns 1-3: Finished the one axeman, and put 15 hammers int' another
Switched t' a worker
turn 4: stonehenge Biafal
Floodplain cottage finished, swapped the mine (1/3/0) for the cottage (3/0/3) Worker Eta up a turn, but 16 beakers vs 13
turn 6: Damn good thin' I didn't try and found the city a turn early (see SS 1)
Frederick makes his appearance from the south
turn 7: Sailin' in
Mysticism next
bad luck scoutin'
I turned back t' check on southern islands, but found thar's no shortcut
turn 8: worker done, buildin' galley next
turn 10: met William
turn 11: Mysticism in, Meditation next
turn 13: Whipped the monument in Uppsala
turn 15: finishin' choppin' a forest on a grassland hill that will be 1/3/1 after a mine
Capital is at size 6, one unhappiness
Tis' set on a granary right now t' funnel the choppin' hammers int' that
Next turn it should be switched t' a settler, and the turn after that beat the settler out o' them
I'm thinkin' this settler ought t' go 3N 1E o' the capital
A galley is out, but we shouldn't send the settler off the island until we have an axeman t' send with him

If the galley finds seafood on the southeast side o' our island, it might be worth sendin' him down that way
Just remember we don't have agriculture yet

I didn't notice before, but how does "choose religions" work
Are the religions handed out randomly, or what
Christianity was founded in 3600 Bc
That will take a lot o' wind out o' the sails o' a theology slin'shot
It won't found us a religion (unless I misunderstand choose religions), and we won't have a religion t' use for theocracy

Maybe we could shift gears and do a ci'il ser'ice slin'shot
meditation > priesthood > writin' > oracle Col > mathematics > polytheism > great prophet ci'il ser'ice
If the great prophet tech preference in the war articles is still correct in BtS, that should work, as long as we don't pick up masonry
That will net us berserkers and bureaucracy

Ahoy, red X is probably the best spot for the 3rd city
Green X could be good dependin' if thar's any seafood t' be had
Yellow X might be worthwhile, but is probably worth delayin'
Blue X is probably the best 4th city Aye, me parrot concurs.

Attachments

• jolly10000.JPG
    jolly10000.JPG
    265.5 KB · Views: 109
  • jolly20000.JPG
    jolly20000.JPG
    355.5 KB · Views: 88
  • jolly30000.JPG
    jolly30000.JPG
    319.3 KB · Views: 81
  • jolly40001.JPG
    jolly40001.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 100
  • AZ-06 Jolly Roger BC-1600.CivBeyondSwordSave
    77.5 KB · Views: 62
So how are the founding cities of religions determined?

You still have no choice over the city that founds it but you get to choose which religion is founded.

Edit: and got it :)

^^Some leaders have a preference for certain religions ( Isabella and João for Christianity, Asoka for buddhism,.... ). The others that don't have a preference ( Shaka, Monty,... ) I assume that is random ( there is a thread buried in the BtS forum about it....). That can give us some intel: if you see Christianity founded in the first 20 turns of the game , you know for certain that Izzy is in the boat with you....

Ah, so founding a religion is a random event? Ok.

Nor a random event Zargon.

Let's say you're the first to Theocracy (which we are tring to do). As Christianity and Confucianism have been founded (by the researchers of Meditation and Polytheism) you'd be left with either of the n religions left to 'discover' (Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, etc...).

The fact that the religion usually triggered by researching a 'religious' tech first is chosen doesn't mean you aren't the first to that tech. It's only that it's highly possible that someone chose the religion with another tech.

It adds some 'spice' by not knowing who got to Philo or Divine Right, actually.

I can't load the save 'atm', where's the exploring workboat?

It's sitting on the fish directly north of the capital, heading west.

The galley is on the east coast of our island, heading south.

I decided that seeing what was on the islands west and south of us were more important than heading further east.

edit: s/west/east/

Top Bottom