B05 - For Honor, For Japan

Pre-Turn:
Literature still hasn't been sold and Polytheism is a monopoly, so I buy. For the cost of 5gpt and Lit, I obtain CoL, Philo, MM, Poly, Maths and 82g. We are doing min research on republic right now; I sold polytheism around so everyone should hopefully go after monarchy and this will slow tech pace on the long run.
Portugal is up currency and that's it. Suits me well, we'll grab it by the sword.

I do renamings so that everything is fine for now, but let's be careful. Feel free to give more appropriate names, or to move the House of Takeda Shingen if you please.
A bit of MM and build twitching, nothing major.

T5.
Egypt starts on SoZ, Portugal on TGL.

Zulus are selling workers, I buy both for philo and Lit so-so deal but they are backwards and far-off, the more power they get the better off we are right now.

T7.
Mayas and Portuguese have the Republic.

T8.
Our Dis-grid is unprepared, but the Hon-grid is way, way ready and launches the assault on Portugal.

We go 6-1 at Lagos, capture a catapult, kill a king unit and get the furs within borders. I cannot move Tokugawa in time so the city is abandoned.

We also get one elite.

T10.
There have been 2 archers spotted entering Oporto from the South, so mind them when you dispatch troops. We should soon have a reasonable force to go after the dishonorable Portuguese cities.

The map tells us one thing, which is just about my luck: we'll have to occuppy our Honorable cities with infra for a short while, nearly every city on the continent walks the dishonorable path. With a swordsmen army on the Honorable grid, we're good to go through our neighbors until something major happens, like swiss mercs.

Attachments

• B05_Beorn_1000BC.SAV
    151.3 KB · Views: 75
Roster:
B -
ThERat - UP
M60 - On Deck
Classical -
AtK -
Abaddon -

we got an army!!:woohoo:

but most of the cities pointed out on the map are dishonorable...does this mean a break on honorable cities and military for dishonorable? :hammer:

got it, let's get the dishonorables fight...honorables slack :lol:

question: are we going to go for republic since we have few cites and quite a lot of troops?

If we go for monarchy, we'll have the same problem anyways, only we'd have 7gpt less in support. Staying despots for another while isn't that bad but we have quite a few food boni that could use a republican treatment.

I'm for republic. We can control how fast we do wars later on to soothe WW.

ok, will try and get that then via the war...will play tomorrow..now watching soccer :rolleyes:

save

Pre-Turn
well, we need more dishounoured troops, maybe an army :mischief:
and we can have another honorable city

1. 975BC
2 archers appear, move out sword army
dis guys move on to Oporto

2. 950BC
2 archers now on dis tiles and army next to them, can't attack I guess

3. 925BC
archer move on the right tiles
attack Oport killing 5 units and Prince Henry is left inside

4. 900BC
defeat 2 more units and raze Oporto gaining a dis slave
we now own horses, speed is everything with this funny setup, we need horses

5. 875AD
Portugese would give up currency and a slave
their spear is currently steering onto our iron and we have no proper movement to prevent that
will go for peace next turn

6. 850BC
as expected the spear climbs the iron mountain
defeat 2 more units in Emerita, but fail to take city
settle for peace gaining republic (we chip in 20gold)

time to revolt, 2 turn anarchy

7. 825BC
well, it's anarchy

IT Mayan's demand 21 gold, no way mister
they actually declare on us, ok, phony war with WH, but we can always send our army to burn them

8. 800BC
we're a republic
reduce lux to 20%, but we have far too many troops

well, I stop here since we need to decide what to do, we can't afford all those troops
at 20% we can only afford 10% science at the moment. What do we do now? Disband troops or wait another 20 turns to redeclare war on Portugese with a really big army.

How about W-NW of Oporto for our last honorable town: wheat, cow, river BG's, everything to make up for the distance.

About Mayas, I certainly would send our army down just to stir up some trouble. Too bad Portugal went for our iron while no one useful was around. This feels like a game of chess :lol: Good save getting republic.

Our honorable core has to build markets and libs to support the dis cities - is there any way at all we might get currency? The mayans perhaps? This is a priority, we need these buildings. Dis towns on swords and horses all the way. Portugal has to fall in 20 turns.

M60 UP for 12 turns, unless Rat wants to cash in his 2 last turns - feel free.

Hon infra, perhaps a few disbands since we don't need the military there (archers, warriors, etc.) and dis troops to take out Portugal and Netherlands within the next 40 turns.

Btw do swords upgrade into sammies or just horses? If it's just horses, now that we have them I would focus on a mounted military, otherwise please yourself.

Since the requirements was only iron, it kept me wondering. I should have known better though, this is like for the infamous horse ->war elephants -> Cavalry ;)

ok, BeF, I need a clarification. Your rules are we cannot move honorable troops diagonally. Can they attack diagonally as long as they do not move diagonally upon the completion of combat? So as an example, can I make 4 diagonal attacks on a stack of 5 and then use an honorable unit to attack the last one. A technicality, but by that means no units make a dishonorable move.

I thought we can't which makes things even more difficult but that's how I played during my turnset

This is how I would play it as well. It would pretty much, or almost anyways, negate the challenge. Unless you are ready for them to Seppuku.

http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads12/B05_B_550_BC.SAV

Preturn- All ok.

IBT- Military advisor warns of uprising near Slums of Kagoshima.

690BC- Trade Zulu Republic for Currency, 96 gold and 3gpt. Trade Dutch Republic for Construction and 79 gold. Into the MA. Science to 50%, Feudalism in 23.

Build a couple markets in between.

550BC- The Mayans finally showed up, so the army kills 2 regular JWs. A Mayan spear in trail. Army at full strength took a licking, down to 6hp, but appears safe enough.

We are at tech parity, but can’t maintain 50% science for too long. Maya will talk, but Smokey thinks we’re paying him for peace. Go figure. Workers near tomb of Takeda need to irrigate cow so we can grow that faster once the aqueduct is complete.

Never did see signs of the barb uprising.

That's a lot of foreign troops around Emerita, I guess Henry has kept himself some compagny while our war was over. Too bad there's no barbs in sight, we could use the gold, even if it costs a unit or two.

Towards more dis-horses and hon-infra for the next 10-15 so that we can give Henry a final go, methinks.

Roster:
B -
Rat -
M60 -
CH - UP
AtK - On Deck
loz -

Top Bottom