Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States

wow, I didn't know McDonalds pays so well in the USA...I think I want to work there ;)

We all don't like to pay taxes, that's pretty human. We're all selfish creatures and do not like to share.
However, I rather see my taxes spent on education/research etc than on some useless military adventure. In Singapore, a big part of the taxes are spent on the useless military aparatus. Singapore isn't even at war with someone, the military is just a big black hole (and I suspect a big black hole to reward government loyal people). On the other hand, poor old folks with no education, no housing etc are given a pittance of support in the range of $200/month.

I rather have a more inclusive and sharing society. I know America is not as well, which surprises me as religion seems to be far more ingrained in people there. Seems that christian values of sharing and giving aren't really part of that, it's unfortunately more the bigotry and narrowmindedness that comes out (at least when I look at neocons)

However, I rather see my taxes spent on education/research etc than on some useless military adventure.

There is a fundamental difference between complaining about taxes and complaining about where your taxes are going. The former is idiocy unless you are genuinely highly taxed. The latter is perfectly normal and people of all political persuasions do it.

I rather have a more inclusive and sharing society. I know America is not as well, which surprises me as religion seems to be far more ingrained in people there. Seems that christian values of sharing and giving aren't really part of that, it's unfortunately more the bigotry and narrowmindedness that comes out (at least when I look at neocons)

Nobody in America is against sharing. We're talking government mandated things where they take money and give it to other people. It should be up to the giver, not the government, as to what and how much to give.

There are certain things that should be left to the different forms of government (defense, protection, roads, etc) and whart should be left for charity.

There is a fundamental difference between complaining about taxes and complaining about where your taxes are going. The former is idiocy unless you are genuinely highly taxed. The latter is perfectly normal and people of all political persuasions do it.

Yeah and I suppose you have figured out just how much is highly taxed. Anyone can and should complain about taxes if they feel they are getting a bad deal.

The person who complains about taxes as such is analogous to the child who complains about having to do chores; it's just whining about not wanting to own up to one's responsibilities.

And nobody's punished for making more money. It's a marginal tax rate. You always take home more if you make more.

Cleo

The person who complains about taxes as such is analogous to the child who complains about having to do chores; it's just whining about not wanting to own up to one's responsibilities.

And nobody's punished for making more money. It's a marginal tax rate. You always take home more if you make more.

Cleo

That is a very common thing that many people do not understand and it is very difficult to convince people of. I once had to scan some pages out of a textbook to make an otherwise fairly intelligent guy see it.

Nobody in America is against sharing.

There are plenty of people who are against sharing. If you can't acknowledge this, then you can't be helped from your illusionary world.

Now, either some form of government is permitted to coerce one-sided exchanges when needed, or the materials being exchanged get pried from cold, dead hands. Choose one.

Cleo

The person who complains about not having free healthcare or unemployement benefits is analogous to what?

That map looks wrong. It seems to be listing counties I know voted Republican by large margins as democratic.

The map is which counties voted more or less Democratic or Republican than 2004.

Cleo

Top Bottom