Be a Superhero with TeamCFC. Help us perform miracles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
my input dropped over the past week as my computer hasnt been on because ive been away, not like i make a huge impact though :)

BCLG100 said:
my input dropped over the past week as my computer hasnt been on because ive been away, not like i make a huge impact though :)

Don't sell yourself short, every single folded work unit counts. Just think, maybe one work unit that you send in from your system just happens to be the one that leads to a breakthrough that wipes out <insert random nasty disease here> forever!

I finally got around to install a webserver on my old laptop, so now it is doing something besides folding. If my contribution takes a little dent, it will be because of that. My main computer should be able to get more folding done, though, since exams do a very good job at keeping me from gaming. ;)

I just saw this this morning
Folding fact #25
Genomics and hard drives: We have about a billion DNA bases in our genome. That's less than 1GB of storage! The genetic differences between humans and chimps is less than a million DNA bases -- small enough to easily fit on a 1.4MB floppy!
This is inherently wrong. Just going off of the stated fact that we have about a billion DNA bases in our genome, that could not equal ~1 GB of storage. There are 4 DNA bases adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C), and thymine (T). In order to display these distinctly, you would need 2 bits. So in effect we have 2 GB of storage in our DNA not just 1. Still a marvelous feat, but this is coming from people who have figured out how to use someone's processor to do work for them. :lol:

BCLG100 said:
erm what?

I assume he means that's how to scrunch it so it'll fit on a 3.5" disk.

well the 3.5" disk is referring to the relative difference between our genome and chimp's genome. But this too would need double the space. Compressing data doesn't always cut the size in half though, so I'm clueless as to what he's talking about.

I was indeed talking about data compression. It doesn't always cut it in half, but sometimes it can even go higher than 50%, so they may well be compressing the data.

I'm pretty sure they were simply thinking in terms of one bit per base.. I would actually have thought it would be more than two bits per base, but with four bases I see we have it covered with 00 11 01 and 10 - right?

That's what I was thinking fe-quacker. effective doubling the storage space needed (before any compression which the never mentioned)

If we make such a sequence with just two bits per base, how do we know when something else is going on?

Example: We need a marker to explain that we're starting a new sequence. With only 2 bits we're already out of our four options. If we use 3 bits instead we have extra codes ready to mark various things. And if we use 8-bit bytes we're really cooking ;)

fe-quacker
:rotfl:

Anyway ... something interesting is that putting it into binary makes it easy to explain copy errors. Suppose you have

10 10 01 00 10 00 00 11

And you accidentally copy it as

10 00 01 00 10 00 00 11

Then that doesn't make too much difference, it may still work ok.
But if you accidentally miss out a number, or add one in, it all goes haywire:

10 10 01 00 10 00 00 11
Add one in:
10 11 00 10 01 00 00 01 1

Genetics is fun!

Oh, and ... 835th and counting!

Sophie 378 said:

Anyway ... something interesting is that putting it into binary makes it easy to explain copy errors. Suppose you have

10 10 01 00 10 00 00 11

10 00 01 00 10 00 00 11

But if you accidentally miss out a number, or add one in, it all goes haywire:

10 10 01 00 10 00 00 11
Add one in:
10 11 00 10 01 00 00 01 1

Genetics is fun!

Oh, and ... 835th and counting!

omg i read that as blah blah blah blue blah redblah :D but am glad were moving up :

Sophie 378 said:

10 10 01 00 10 00 00 11

10 00 01 00 10 00 00 11

Are you saying that there are no paritiy bits in the genome? :eek:
No wonder we cease to function after a few years! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom