Benin Warriors (31/03/08)

Thanks for the comments, everyone.

PS BTW, wasn't there a 19th century ditty whose chorus went something like:

"The Bight of Benin! The Bight of Benin!
One comes out where a thousand went in."

-O.

There may well have been! Although it wouldn't have rhymed well - unless it was sung by New Zealanders - since I'm told that the name should be pronounced "Binnin".

These are great, they almost look like fantasy units... are they historical?

They're quite historical as far as I can tell - follow the link in the OP to see the artwork that I based them on. Of course the nature of that artwork made it rather hard to tell what the actual troops really looked like, but I did my best.

Oh, and didn't you say you were done with Africans for awhile (not that I'm complaining, I keep hoping for more generic Africans like your African Archer and Javelineer)?

I thought I was done, but it turned out I needed these as well. Hopefully now I'm practically done.

Wow, these guys are awesome, Plotinus. The West Africans in my epic mod will be eternally grateful. ;)

Maybe Steph's just reading Henri Bergson?

:mischief: Is absinthe still legal in France? ;)
-Oz
Even if it were legal, I don't drink alcohol. I'm crazy enough without deing drunk, imagine what it would be if I was drinking!

Very nice work Plotinus. They would be cool in some sort of African fantasy scenario/mod. :goodjob:

:mischief: Is absinthe still legal in France? ;)

-Oz

No. It's one of the only places where it is still illegal in Europe. But you can still order good absinthe from France. :smug:

Even if it were legal, I don't drink alcohol. I'm crazy enough without deing drunk, imagine what it would be if I was drinking!

It merely removes the higher brain functions (when used in higher amounts).

Alcohol is a depressant, so maybe..... well, I don't know.... :mischief:

Wasn't it Dr. Johnson who wrote that, "To make a beast of oneself is to rid oneself of the pain of being a man?" :mischief:

If you consider balance a higher brain function. Yes alcohol is a central nervous system depressant and can impair judgement.

Wasn't it Dr. Johnson who wrote that, "To make a beast of oneself is to rid oneself of the pain of being a man?" :mischief:
I sure hope somebody wrote that! It's a gooder.

As to drink, the best quote IMHO is the Porter in Macbeth:
"Lechery, sir, it provokes, and unprovokes; it provokes
the desire, but it takes away the performance. There-
fore, much drink may be said to be an equivocator
with lechery: it makes him, and it mars him; it sets him
on, and it takes him off; it persuades him, and dis-
heartens him; makes him stand to, and not stand to; in
conclusion, equivocates him in a sleep, and, giving him
the lie, leaves him."

On the other hand, Abe Lincoln, according to an apocryphal tradition, upon coming to from a week-long binge said "I freed the what?" :lol:

Top Bottom