1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beto O'Rourke is our next president.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Nov 9, 2018.

1. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

With privilege comes responsibility. Out of the 45 years I've been voting, I've probably only been called to jury duty around 8 times and only actually served on a jury a couple of time. If you can't handle that minor responsibility then maybe you don't deserve to have a say in government. Just saying.

2. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

See I don't get this. Where the hell did this idea that voting should be treated as a privilege in any way, shape or form come from? "Oh if you can't even go to the trouble of registering to vote, you shouldn't be allowed to vote!" The US should have automatic voter registration and compulsory voting. The idea that voting is a privilege is cancer.

HoloDoc likes this.
  3. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

OK, Maybe right is the better word. I'll agree on the automatic registration but not on the compulsory voting. I do wish they'd make it a national holiday or spread it across and entire week to not inconvenience anybody. And I have no respect for the strategy of not registering so you never get asked to do jury duty.

4. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

So if voting every other year, your chance was 1/3. For me it's been 3/4, with the one time I wasn't when I moved shortly afterwards, so maybe they tried to get me but couldn't.

$25/day is far below minimum wage if I have to take the whole day off.

5. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

small sample size. I wouldn't care if it was higher, the principle is still the same to me. Just the way I feel. There is no definitive right or wrong, just some old farts opinion. I would feel no different if it cost me a days pay, but I'll concede that it's not really a burden in my situation. And in 5 of those 8 i was sent home before 11 a.m. due to no trials requiring a jury that day.
    Of course, I'm old enough that I actually took my chances in the lottery to go to Viet Nam, (i don't care if i never win another lottery) so jury duty seems like a better way to do my civic duty.

6. Mechanicalsalvation

Mechanicalsalvation -

It sounds to me that its better to have privileges (while giving them some value) then feeling of obligation to participate in democracy. At the end it doesnt perhaps matter. The only thing which counts is genuine interest of the citizen for his country and its folk.

7. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

They are voting their interests. They've just got a greater interest in having a president and party in charge that airs their particular reactionary grievances, than in having things like jobs, health care, subsistence income, or relatives dead from opioid overdoses.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

The new Suburu Forrester for 2019 has an AI that tracks the driver's eye movement to alert them to being distracted. It will apparently post an alert on the dashboard when the driver eye rolls in response to a passenger's remark. :rolleyes:

I've been registered for decades and have only been called for jury duty once. It paid $16 a day and I did not get a trial. :(

HoloDoc likes this.
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

This will certainly reduce the number of teen aged drivers.

10. Bamspeedy

Learn something new everyday. Apparently only four states only use voter registration lists, most use a combination of voter registration and drivers liscences. I just find it odd the three times I've been called were within a year of voting in the 4 times I've voted over 25 years. Some use different lists for state and federal cases. Some areas may have higher percentage of jury trials in proportion to the number of people, so it's not comparable to compare a person from rural WI, to one in Chicago, to one in AZ.

11. HoloDoc

HoloDoc Chieftain

Not warning them would reduce the number of drivers far quicker.

12. Timsup2nothin

I'm thinking that either my joke sailed over your head or you are choosing to ignore it.

13. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Come now Lex... you know where... :yup:

14. Bamspeedy

Signing up for the draft had never been a 'right', but a requirement. Voting had always been described as a right.

Nobody ever fought for me to be forced to vote. But run for office on that platform, and you'll certainly get me out to vote.....against you.

I'll be voting in 2020, drivers license due to be renewed at that time anyways so renewing my information for jury duty will be another reason to dread going to the DMV.

15. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

And if not president then definitely that next Howard Dean.

16. Timsup2nothin

I'm kinda thinking "next senator from the great state of Texas." His not quite concession to Cruz speech can effectively double as the launch of a campaign against Cornyn. With all the campaign infrastructure he has in place he can run ten times the campaign he just ran.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

It would be super funny if Texas' Senate delegation consisted of O'Rourke and Cruz.

18. Timsup2nothin

Heck, Arizona's is very likely to consist of Sinema and McSally...a lot sooner than 2020. I think their race was a lot less acrimonious than O'Rourke and Cruz though.

19. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Slippin' Jimmy Supporter

I would imagine a former prominent poster's dashboard would be posting permanent alerts.

Dachs and Birdjaguar like this.