[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

It looks very nice Grave! Excellent work!
I was waiting for this. Quietly of course. It’s best not to rush good things.:)

Downloading now.

Thanks!

Alof of your units are in there, they really help set the diversity mood of the game.

Incredible and I was here for it all!

... do I get a t-shirt?

Anyways, don't worry about that nuke, I redirected my SDI defenses and neutralized it.

Downloading now...

:lol:

I cant start a custom game in this mod. Im using a huge map with 17 ai on warlord as germany. custom continents random personalities..ect ect. this is the second mod ive gotten for bts that crashes on me but at least the other ones start...ive already reinstalled bts and i have vista btw. Can you help me out here because vanilla civ is too lacking in units for me.

Hmmm... That's exactly how I play, too (except I use the Romans). I never ran into the problems you mention.

Is it a CTD? What exactly happens?

I don't know if Vista has anything to do with it, but maybe it does. I don't have that OS, so I don't know for sure.

Tried out the new stuff, alot better, i will be taking alot of stuff from here(maybe even a base), hope you dont mind?

Just as long as you give me credit for the things you "borrow" I don't mind. ;)

great work grave ! dig the main menu music :)

Yeah, I kinda like it, too. :)

If you check out the Readme, you'll see that I provided several different main menu music files to choose from. So if you get tired of one, you can just use one of the others I provided. :)

what is the ideal speed to play this mod on?

You could play it on any speed you want. However me personally, I prefer playing Marathon games.

Well from a balance perspective, this is my dillemna;

I want a nice long game wherein I enjoy building "Hussars" and by the time I have an army of them, they aren't obsolete. However, at the same time I do not want that to mean it takes 60 turns to build my first barracks.

I've found each mod addresses balance/speed differently and sometimes not until I have invested a long time, do I realize that there was a fatal flaw in the balancing.

Well, what you could do is start an Advanced Start game, test out building Hussars, and see how you like it.

I'm not afraid of criticism, so after you play for a while and you have a suggestion on how to improve balance/speed, post it up. :)

Just so you know... I did reduce the cost of some buildings just for that reason. I saw it silly that it takes sometimes 80 turns to build a simple little Market... made no sense to me at all. But there's always room for improvement, and I expect to make a few more tweaks to buildings/techs so that they can be built in a timely (and historically accurate) timeframe.

Hey grave i'm downloading the mod right now and i can't wait! I was just thinking in a patch or add on or whatever u wanna call it i think it would be sweet if you were switching government types and you were to switch to another type there would be longer lasting effects. For example (a real world one) when the Russians switched from communism to democracy, there economy was shot to hell. I think this would be quite an add on or whatever you call it and would put quite a twist on the game

P.S gj on getting the mod out :goodjob: :clap: :worship: :yumyum: :wavey: [party] :banana: :cheers: :thanx: :bounce: :sheep: :beer: :salute: :rotfl: :dance: :rockon: :ack: :nope: :drool: :hatsoff:

No, wait, I take back the dancing cow.

When I try to play via "Play Now!" it crashes before loading.

When I play a custom game I can play, but it crashes when I found my first city. :cry:

When I try a scenario, it crashes partway through loading.

Tried custom game again. Crashed before the game even started.

WHAT THE HELL :mad: :mad: :mad:

This made fix your bug
[/SIZE]

Roamty to the rescue (again!).

Thanks for this.. I'll check it out later tonight. I figured it would be a silly, stupid mistake on my part. :p

Hey grave i'm downloading the mod right now and i can't wait! I was just thinking in a patch or add on or whatever u wanna call it i think it would be sweet if you were switching government types and you were to switch to another type there would be longer lasting effects. For example (a real world one) when the Russians switched from communism to democracy, there economy was shot to hell. I think this would be quite an add on or whatever you call it and would put quite a twist on the game

In a way, that's exactly what Anarchy does. You really can't do anything until the anarchy period is over. As far as economical turmoil like you're suggesting, that would take some coding skills, something I'm sort of lacking.

No, wait, I take back the dancing cow.

When I try to play via "Play Now!" it crashes before loading.

I just tried this a couple times... no crashes at all on my end.

Give me more specifics:

- What settings did you use?
- What Civilization did you pick?

When I play a custom game I can play, but it crashes when I found my first city. :cry:

Again, I tried this again and nothing bad happened. In fact, this is the mode of play I usually prefer, and Custom Game is how I did all my testing.

I haven't seen any CTD's yet.

Give me more specifics:

When I try a scenario, it crashes partway through loading.

Tried custom game again. Crashed before the game even started.

WHAT THE HELL :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok, I did get CTD's when loading a scenario. Honestly, I never, ever used a scenario before, so I didn't even bother testing under them.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it may have something to do with the fact I changed the number of Max Players in the SDK. I know scenarios are a little different than playing a custom game in that aspect, which may be why the CTD's occur. Scenarios are actually kind of set up like a Save Game, so if the version (or maybe even the SDK) is different, I could see how a CTD would happen with those.

HISTORY IN THE MAKING
KNOWN BUGS LISTING
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

- The last couple of Corporations don’t show their correct icon in the Civilopedia. This is purely a cosmetic error and will not affect gameplay. The Font files will need to be corrected once I figure out why they’re not linking to the correct icons.

This made fix your bug

Unfortunately, that didn't work. :(

The only Corporations that are affected are Aluminum Co, Burger World and Civilized Jewlers. If you go to the Wonders Pedia screen and do a mouse-over on those specific corporations, you'll see the messed up Game Fonts.

The Zoroastrianism holy shrine doesn't appear to be build able - I assume the Great Prophet is supposed to have the ability, but it doesn't. Furthermore, the shrine's requirements say it can only be built in the Jewish holy city.

The Zoroastrianism holy shrine doesn't appear to be build able - I assume the Great Prophet is supposed to have the ability, but it doesn't. Furthermore, the shrine's requirements say it can only be built in the Jewish holy city.

Damn! :mad:

I did use the Judaism XML to copy/paste in order to create Zoroastrainism.

Thanks for finding this, I really appreciate it!

I just tried this a couple times... no crashes at all on my end.

Give me more specifics:

Again, I tried this again and nothing bad happened. In fact, this is the mode of play I usually prefer, and Custom Game is how I did all my testing.

I haven't seen any CTD's yet.

Give me more specifics:

Ok, I did get CTD's when loading a scenario. Honestly, I never, ever used a scenario before, so I didn't even bother testing under them.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but it may have something to do with the fact I changed the number of Max Players in the SDK. I know scenarios are a little different than playing a custom game in that aspect, which may be why the CTD's occur. Scenarios are actually kind of set up like a Save Game, so if the version (or maybe even the SDK) is different, I could see how a CTD would happen with those.

Let's see. Netherlands first time. Random next two times to make sure that civilization choice wasn't the problem.

Size the first time: small, second time also small, third time large

Terra
Noble difficulty
Everything else default

For the customs it was the same as the smalls, except I added two players and clicked raging barbarians for one of them.

Nothing I change seems to have any effect.

If it's any help the last thing I saw on the last attempt before crash was "Map Setup."

EDIT: I just tried again and it also crashed at map setup. At least we've got a place to start looking.

Well, what you could do is start an Advanced Start game, test out building Hussars, and see how you like it.

I'm not afraid of criticism, so after you play for a while and you have a suggestion on how to improve balance/speed, post it up. :)

Just so you know... I did reduce the cost of some buildings just for that reason. I saw it silly that it takes sometimes 80 turns to build a simple little Market... made no sense to me at all. But there's always room for improvement, and I expect to make a few more tweaks to buildings/techs so that they can be built in a timely (and historically accurate) timeframe.

its is not an 'advanced start'. Its just that I want to be able to use my hussars (or whatever) for a while before they are obsolete. Yet, at the same time, when tech and buildings are slow the game gets unbalanced a little, especially if you don't take the right research and fall behind.

My first game with the mod went this way;

I had an awesome starting position with Japan on the same continent, but plenty of room to expand. I found zoaristirism and build five cities. I have 2-3 units in each city and had the wonder that gave me free walls, and a few other wonders.

japan had switched to slavery. I suspect now that they mass rushed a bunch of units because all of a sudden he shows up with 20-30 units. There is no way I could have come close to producing that if I had just spent the entire time producing units.

They then proceed to dismantle my empire and I quit. This is strange because never in playing the game, have I had such aggression early on in the game or such overwhelming odds. something doesn't seem right.

Additionally, the console shows with these words, something about tech stealing etc, during battle. not sure why. Some place in the middle of screen with red font.

Let's see. Netherlands first time. Random next two times to make sure that civilization choice wasn't the problem.

Size the first time: small, second time also small, third time large

Terra
Noble difficulty
Everything else default

For the customs it was the same as the smalls, except I added two players and clicked raging barbarians for one of them.

Nothing I change seems to have any effect.

If it's any help the last thing I saw on the last attempt before crash was "Initializing Map" or "Map Init."
I forget which.

That's really odd. I just did all the settings you listed, and didn't get any CTD's or errors at all. I can't seem to repeat any of your errors.

Did you do anything else to the mod that would keep it from loading correctly? Did you change the directory name at all?

If you can get into a game, first thing to do is to save it, then post it here and I'll take a look at it.

its is not an 'advanced start'. Its just that I want to be able to use my hussars (or whatever) for a while before they are obsolete. Yet, at the same time, when tech and buildings are slow the game gets unbalanced a little, especially if you don't take the right research and fall behind.

It sounds like personal preference to me. I do plan on adjusting some of the units/buildings more as time goes on. I played a full game mainly for bug squashing, and didn't see much of a problem with grossly falling behind building things.

My first game with the mod went this way;

I had an awesome starting position with Japan on the same continent, but plenty of room to expand. I found zoaristirism and build five cities. I have 2-3 units in each city and had the wonder that gave me free walls, and a few other wonders.

japan had switched to slavery. I suspect now that they mass rushed a bunch of units because all of a sudden he shows up with 20-30 units. There is no way I could have come close to producing that if I had just spent the entire time producing units.

They then proceed to dismantle my empire and I quit. This is strange because never in playing the game, have I had such aggression early on in the game or such overwhelming odds. something doesn't seem right.

Maybe they just didn't like you. :lol:

The difficulty level you played has a big part in your handicaps against the AI. Same with the game settings.

Slavery doesn't affect unit production in my mod, only the worker speed. So the AI must of been stockpiling units before switching to Slavery.

Additionally, the console shows with these words, something about tech stealing etc, during battle. not sure why. Some place in the middle of screen with red font.

That would be the Enhanced Tech Conquest Mod.

That would be the Enhanced Tech Conquest Mod.

So we're supposed to be seeing onCityAcquired=True, isConquest=True, and lPossibleTechnology=[] and the other text? It seems that all that should be displaying is the "You find nothing worth learning from the inhabitants of Ur" text.

So we're supposed to be seeing onCityAcquired=True, isConquest=True, and lPossibleTechnology=[] and the other text? It seems that all that should be displaying is the "You find nothing worth learning from the inhabitants of Ur" text.

Yes, you're supposed to be seeing that. Jeckel set it up that way so you can see the what's going on with the game when you capture a city. It is strange when it's the AI capturing another AI city, I'll admit.

I can see if he'll do an option in the INI file to allow seeing that text to be optional, but it may be a while until he gets around to it.

Top Bottom