[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

I always thought Industrious was overpowered, so I moved the Wonder Production to a newly created trait that primarily focuses on that. Ramesses has this trait, called "Inspirational". And no way is Industrious worthless. You mean to tell me building Forges, Factories and power plants at double speed is worthless? :confused:

It was a bit overpowered, but only on early difficulties. And most leaders who have Ind also have a second trait that just plain sucks. Like Protective or Spiritual (I'm sorry but... Spiritual is a worthless trait for me. And seems to be for a good bit of people, as civic switching isn't going to occur that much.)

If you're going to change traits, it's best to look over all the leaders and reorganize the traits. Now that Ind is weaker, it might be best to give Qin and others a stronger second trait. Maybe give more leaders the two new traits you created.

And... don't forget. You made Financial way more overpowered. Faster buildings were removed from Financial because Financial alone is the most powerful trait.

:lol: And the fact that sunday, is the 21st, not 19th. :p

:suicide:

Hey, leave me alone... I had 9 Samuel Adams' in me when I made that post.
:cheers:

EDIT: There, I fixed it... HAPPY NOW!?!?!?! ;)

XD

Now, on a serious note, could you impliment a civic system like this?

Hello and thank you for this great mod!

I have reached gunpowder era now and there are a few things that I suspect are mistaken or perhaps it's my lack of understanding :mischief:

- English Redcoats have been renamed as Musketmen, which is the same name of the units they are substituting (EDIT: but weren't they supposed to substitute Riflemen?)

- The small icon for Brewery (at least when unlit) has a strange white border in the city build panel.

- Armory gives a "Free Free Upgrade"

- As far as I know it's "terra cotta" and not "terra cota".

- I completed Via Appia and I received two road constructors. I couldn't find any civilopedia entry for them. Is there a way to have more of them?

- Ditto for Roman Roads: do they come with the Via Appia wonder only or can they be built?

- Upon founding Zoroastrianism I see the Juidaic clip with the Hindu music. (I suspect that it is quite difficult to change the clip but perhaps you can come up with a religious-sounding alternative for Zoroastrianism ;-)

- I couldn't upgrade Horse Archers to Light Cavalry even though I could build Light Cavalry

Requests:

- Do you think you could also implement a mod to the Railroad to make it grant more MP? (I could do it myself but I am proposing this for the main build)

- I am a bit concerned about the quantity of wonders that need one or more Christian buildings to be built... This somehow tilts the balance of the religious feature in Civ4. Do you think you could downplay that a little, maybe making it dependent on the state religion at the time?

- Free Market reducing hammers is quite strange. I would perhaps make it increase pollution or unhappiness or (gasp!) inflation, and maybe make it give +1 gold to towns .

- Organized Religion, I'm okay with -25% units, but I would make an exception for missionaries.

- Emancipation: I think I would substitute the -25% to worker production with an increase on maintenance cost for workers, if this can be done, or for all units if not.

- Nationhood: I would apply the -10% to trade routes only for international trade (of course, given the name ;-)

- Supreme court looks inviting, but the Palace as requirement is really tough. In many of my games my capital city is a holy city and builds a good number of wonders, so I usually build the Wall Street and the National Epic there. What happens if I move the capital to another city, build the Supreme court there and then I move the capital back to where it was? Do I lose the effects granted by the Supreme Court?

I think that's all for now. Thanks again for your magnificent effort :)

XD

Now, on a serious note, could you impliment a civic system like this?
Spoiler :

Thanks for the the offer of Civic ideas, but I have to say "no" on your Civic examples.

Here's why:

- Absolutism is the same as Despotism

- Based on the other kinds of "Legal" civics, Judicial doesn't belong in there. Your example is saying you can't have Free Speech when you have a Judicial system of law? :confused:

- The Independant (whatever the last word is) I would assume would be the same as Emancipation

- Barter Economy is the same as Decentralization

- There's not much of a difference between Animism and Paganism. If somebody wanted to split hairs about it, then yes there are signifigant differences, but as far as game play goes... not much of a difference. I would personally use something different.

- I never did like the "Education" and "Healthcare" civic options alot of people use. I understand the need for people to want to add bold new content to their mods, but throwing something in there just to throw something in there isn't what I do. Those civic options don't seem important enough to warrant a whole new Civic option to me. And when you actually look at the civics, they all look identical, except for some very minute details like and extra health here, extra happiness there, etc. It's splitting hairs.

For a few months, I toyed around with adding extra Civics, but in the end I decided on making the existing Civics more varied than just adding new ones. To me, the Civics have to be just right. You can't just throw anything in there. The Judicial civic option in the example above is a prime example. Although the Civic category is called "Legal", in the game it doesn't necessarily mean a form of law. If anything, it should be renamed "Social". So looking at it, it doesn't make sense.

I re-arranged the Civic screen so that in the future I can add a Civic option if I chose to. Right now I haven't come up with something worthy enough to add to the game, but once I do, I will be adding a Civic option.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Hello and thank you for this great mod!

I have reached gunpowder era now and there are a few things that I suspect are mistaken or perhaps it's my lack of understanding :mischief:

- English Redcoats have been renamed as Musketmen, which is the same name of the units they are substituting (EDIT: but weren't they supposed to substitute Riflemen?)

Ah, I see. It's a typo, I'll fix it.

The Redcoat is supposed to replace the Mustketman instead of the Rifleman. I did it that way to be more historically accurate, IMHO. The English have a flavor unit for the Rifleman now, instead.

- The small icon for Brewery (at least when unlit) has a strange white border in the city build panel.

I'll look into this.

- Armory gives a "Free Free Upgrade"

Yes that is correct. It's just the way the game labels things. The name of the Promotion is "Free Upgrade". Since the Armory gives you that promotion for free it says "Grants you a Free Free Upgrade Promotion". See? ;)

- As far as I know it's "terra cotta" and not "terra cota".

Looks like a typo. That'll be fixed.

- I completed Via Appia and I received two road constructors. I couldn't find any civilopedia entry for them. Is there a way to have more of them?

No, I don't think so. See the included Via Appia readme. I want to get rid of the constructors all together, since they're just workers and nothing special.

- Ditto for Roman Roads: do they come with the Via Appia wonder only or can they be built?

That's the whole point of Via Appia: It changes your existing roads to Roman Roads within your cultural bordes. Again, see the Via Appia readme.

- Upon founding Zoroastrianism I see the Juidaic clip with the Hindu music. (I suspect that it is quite difficult to change the clip but perhaps you can come up with a religious-sounding alternative for Zoroastrianism ;-)

I just haven't made a movie for Zoroastrainism yet, that's all.

- I couldn't upgrade Horse Archers to Light Cavalry even though I could build Light Cavalry

Requests:

- Do you think you could also implement a mod to the Railroad to make it grant more MP? (I could do it myself but I am proposing this for the main build)

I could. It could be like a modern version of the Via Appia. Do you have any specific ideas on how to?

- I am a bit concerned about the quantity of wonders that need one or more Christian buildings to be built... This somehow tilts the balance of the religious feature in Civ4. Do you think you could downplay that a little, maybe making it dependent on the state religion at the time?

I plan on diversifying the religions in the game in a future patch. All the Wonders that require Christianity play in to that. But I'm not going to undo it, just to put it back into the game in the near future. So it'll stay for now.

Once I divirsify the religions, it'll all come together.

- Free Market reducing hammers is quite strange. I would perhaps make it increase pollution or unhappiness or (gasp!) inflation, and maybe make it give +1 gold to towns .

I had to give it a negative trait. All Civics have a drawback of some sort. I consider the decrease in production a game representation of out-sourcing. If I can come up with something better, I'll use it instead of the production hit.

- Organized Religion, I'm okay with -25% units, but I would make an exception for missionaries.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't allow you to do that in it's present form. That would require some work.

- Emancipation: I think I would substitute the -25% to worker production with an increase on maintenance cost for workers, if this can be done, or for all units if not.

Good idea. I'll look into that. :goodjob:

- Nationhood: I would apply the -10% to trade routes only for international trade (of course, given the name ;-)

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can do that just yet. I only remember seeing a TradeYield modifier, not a ForeignTradeYield modifier.

- Supreme court looks inviting, but the Palace as requirement is really tough. In many of my games my capital city is a holy city and builds a good number of wonders, so I usually build the Wall Street and the National Epic there. What happens if I move the capital to another city, build the Supreme court there and then I move the capital back to where it was? Do I lose the effects granted by the Supreme Court?

I see your point. The reason I did it that way was because every nation's supreme court (at least that I'm aware of) is located in their capital city. If you relocate your capital... well... :mischief:

I
think that's all for now. Thanks again for your magnificent effort :)

And thank you for your constructive feedback! :goodjob:

You brought up some very valid points, and I'll take them into consideration for an upcoming patch.

I didn't say exactly like that. I was just using that source as an example.

I didn't say exactly like that. I was just using that source as an example.

I know you didn't say exactly like that, those were just examples. I was just pointing out what I didn't like about those examples, in an attempt to give you my frame of reference, which is: I'd rather focus on improving upon the existing Civics rather than throwing just anything in there just to have more Civics than the next guy.

I have an idea for a new Civic option, but until I get it just the way I want it, I'm leaving it out for now.

I know you didn't say exactly like that, those were just examples. I was just pointing out what I didn't like about those examples, in an attempt to give you my frame of reference.

I have an idea for a new Civic option, but until I get it just the way I want it, I'm leaving it out for now.

Fair enough man. :lol:

I guess I can keep my fingers crossed for whatever you've been thinking about. :mischief:

Hi and thank you for your reply.

I just haven't made a movie for Zoroastrainism yet, that's all.
I can understand, I was just suggesting to change the mp3, which is now the same as the Hinduist. I admit I am not an expert on the matter but it shouldn't be very difficult to find some kind of chant.

[Railroad w/ more MP]
I could. It could be like a modern version of the Via Appia. Do you have any specific ideas on how to?
Actually I think I wasn't too clear on that... I was just suggesting to increase the MP given by the standard railroad. I'm not asking to give them unlimited moves, but I think the default number of moves is too little.

However I could see a national or world wonder modeled upon the Trans-Siberian, increasing movement on Railroad by 100% or something like that.

[-10% hammers on free market]
I had to give it a negative trait. All Civics have a drawback of some sort. I consider the decrease in production a game representation of out-sourcing.

I think free market boosts production for one thing. The main drawback of free market is that it is environmentally hostile and that it might exacerbate the gap between the wealthy and poor sections of society. So I think inflation might come handy to represent this.

[Nationhood and foreign routes]Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think you can do that just yet. I only remember seeing a TradeYield modifier, not a ForeignTradeYield modifier.
Ok, then maybe there is a way to add one national trade route subtracting one or two foreign? I'm thinking Autarchy here (economic independence as a national policy).

I see your point. The reason I did it that way was because every nation's supreme court (at least that I'm aware of) is located in their capital city. If you relocate your capital... well... :mischief:
You aren't wrong either.
Hey, what about a replacement for the Palace? "Palace + Supreme Court". It wouldn't add to the national wonders cap and it would provide the same, I think.

Patch v0.02 is released! See Post #2 for download info.

Good i just downloaded (first person) your patch, thx. I am going to use some of your stuff in a MOD, hope you dont mind?

I don't mind, just give me credit for what ever you "borrow" from HiTM. :)

when I try to load my savegame with the new patch, it says "Failed uncompressing game data" and it quits :-(

The mod itself loads ok, I can launch a new game just fine.

It crashes when I try to play a game. Not a pre-fabricated scenario; a world map that was actually in the game to start. What gives?

It crashes when I try to play a game. Not a pre-fabricated scenario; a world map that was actually in the game to start. What gives?

See Post #3. It's also documented in the "Known Bugs" document that comes with the modpack.

This also includes pre-fabbed World Maps that came shipped with BtS. It's because the DLL is set up for 24 civs, not the standard 18.

when I try to load my savegame with the new patch, it says "Failed uncompressing game data" and it quits :-(

The mod itself loads ok, I can launch a new game just fine.

It's possible old save games aren't compatable. I honestly didn't try loading an older save game with it. You should be able to start a new game and play just fine, though.

Well I'm almost done with a full game (Noble, Large, Terra, Normal Speed) and I'm loving it.

Lets see, I started as Willem van Oranje who, unfortunately, spawned in the smack middle of the continent. No navy for me. No major interaction seemed to occur until the Renaissance era, by which time I was in the lead by a wide maragin. A series of wars weakened me though, as I had to put effort into military and not domestic needs. I was on the virge of collapse at one point when my westerly neighbor, Isabella, decided to launch an invasion while my armies were helping my religious allies in a crusade far north. I managed to pull together and barely hold on to my cities, making piece by giving her a tech (I was far ahead). Following this I dropped from first in score to third, as the other major nations had begun to colonize the new world and I couldn't without a single naval city.​

I realized that I couldn't let these newcomers overtake me and when the Romans, to my west, demanded technology of me and declared war on my refusal, I had to capitalize on the opportunity. For almost 200 years we waged a war, and I captured three major cities along with two lesser coastal cities in the tundra to the south. This put me in second, beneath the rapidly strengthening Inca. I noted that a good friend of mine was at war with him (losing) and when I received a notice saying that Capac had built SS casing before I began the Apollo Program, action was done. I sent in my now massive army of tanks and recaptured the two cities that my friend Churchill had lost and returned them, then surged forward. This war lasted another hundred years and ended with surges of modern armor that took three of his cities and burned a fourth.​

The war was forced to an end when my good old friend Isabella decided to try getting back at me again. I was able to hold her off with the pitiful home garrisons as she was slightly behind in technology. The Romans also made a bid to get back at me but were equally behind and so the war is somewhat stalemated right now.​

I also noted that Gilgamesh, my neighbor to the northeast and the other major colonizer, was jumping between first and second with me, and building a ship of his own.​

Now we come to where we are now. All he has accomplished are the casings, as he is behind in key tech fields needed for the ship. The war is pretty stagnant, though the Romans are worrying me. The year is roughly 1930.​

Well I'm almost done with a full game (Noble, Large, Terra, Normal Speed) and I'm loving it.

Glad to see you got it working, and having fun with it! :goodjob:

For those of you who are playing the Earth map, there are a few oversights I forgot to correct before publishing. They'll be updated in the next patch.

Have you thought about making an East India Company corporation?

I thought about it, but couldn't think of something unique enough to differentiate it from the other corporations.

Any ideas?

Top Bottom