[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

I hear ya. We're so blessed you're making this mod... instead of these cowboys.:rolleyes:

Well, thanks.... but I'm not trying to insult Cross Cowboy. He's been an instrumental part in isolating some UI bugs. :goodjob:

I just can't, for the life of me, understand why certain people get a slew of errors just by installing a patch/interim fix, when just before doing so they had no errors at all. Then you have many others (myself included) that can play a bug free game from start to finish.

If you do a file compare in WinMerge of the patch/fix before applying it to HiTM, you'll see that many changes are minimal at best. Certainly nothing that would cause Earth shattering errors, let alone making vanilla BtS act buggy.

I purposely made HiTM a no-brainer to install, because I understand alot of people aren't that computer savvy. I guess the best thing to do (if you're having weird problems) is to simply delete HiTM and reinstall everything from scratch. Install v3.00, then apply the patch, then the interim fixes. While doing that, make sure the cache is cleared.

Other than that, I have no other suggestions/remedies to offer up. I don't know if Vista is a problem or not. It shouldn't be, though. It's just an OS :crazyeye:

I have a few mods in the BtS Mods folder, so if I place the v3.01 patch into the BtS/Mods folder how will it know which mod to attach itself too?

Will installing the Patch ruin a current game game I have running?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions. I'm trying to learn this tech stuff, but its not easy. :sad:

History in the Making v3.00 is required for this patch! Please see this link to download HiTM v3.00!

Installation instructions:

Quote:
- Download patch
- Extract to either your DESKTOP or to your BEYOND THE SWORD/MODS folder
- When asked to overwrite any files, select "yes"

- Installation of patch complete!

I have a few mods in the BtS Mods folder, so if I place the v3.01 patch into the BtS/Mods folder how will it know which mod to attach itself too?

Once you double-click on the patch (self extracts) and extract the patch to your Desktop, you will see a HISTORY IN THE MAKING folder. This is the patch. Just cut/paste that folder to your MODS folder. If HiTM v3.00 is already there (which it should be) you will be prompted to overwrite any existing files. Just hit "yes" and the patch will overwrite all the files that need to be updated.

Will installing the Patch ruin a current game game I have running?

Yes, since a new CvGameCore.dll file is included. When you include a new DLL file with an update, most often than not it will not be backwards compatible. You're welcome to try it out, it may work... but if you're really enjoying this game and want to finish it, I suggest you complete the current game before applying the patch.

Downloaded the patch, 3.01 today.

Can't figure out how to attach a screen print so I will type out the error mesage I keep getting.

On the top middle of the screen I keep getting the following read out....

"bugoptions failed writing ini file mods history in the making\bug main interface.ini"

It says this 6 times on the top portion of the screen.

I can continue to play, but it is annoying seeing this pop up every turn.

If I happen to look into a city the error message will disappear for one turn, but pop up again on the very next turn.

What is going on? Any clue? It did this for 3.0 as well.

I got 3.0 to work; but I can't seem to get the Civ colors to change. I like the US dark green and Rome Red. I go to the Global INI in XML and change the colors, start the game and the colors are the same as it was before I changed them... any ideas?

Thanks for defending me Grave, not sure why someone would take a swipe at me for simply saying im having problems. Im stumped too why some do and some dont have problems. I had everything working great and now nothing is right. I have followed your directions to the "T" in putting in the patch and the other 2 files, but everything is crazy in it. Ive dumped the cache too, but something is just not going right. I wonder if the file I DL, got corrupted or what not.

Also, dont think that my problems mean Im against you or your mod! Your mod is the reason Im still playing Civ 4 and im bummed I cant get it to work. Once again, I wonder if this could be a vista issue since some of the folders are a bit different. I do know when I copy over that Assests file, that it breaks my BoTS and I have to re-install it. I have no idea why, but the error gets so bad I have to ctrl alt del shutdown the program to get out of it.

Anyways, even though atm I cant enjoy it, I still appreciate all your hard work and taking time out to help us. Im gonna keep at it and see what I can do.

I have installed the new patch only and things are good so far. Was working on the bug where I cant get unrestricted leaders to work and took a screen of it which is custom1stscreen. Then I just started checking boxes and when I got to No barbarians I noticed that gave me the ability to have unrestricted leaders, even though I dont have that one checked...thats custom2ndscreen. Any ideas why that would be happening?

Also, is there a way to enable mouse scrolling...I could have sworn I saw an option for it somewhere but now I cant find it haha :)

Another update, when I select the choose religion option, it not only allows me to choose the religion, but also makes me go to war perm with any civs I come across...wow are my wires crossed somewhere or what?!

Attachments

• custom1stscreen.jpg
    custom1stscreen.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 139
  • custome2ndscreen.jpg
    custome2ndscreen.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 141
Downloaded the patch, 3.01 today.

Can't figure out how to attach a screen print so I will type out the error mesage I keep getting.

On the top middle of the screen I keep getting the following read out....

"bugoptions failed writing ini file mods history in the making\bug main interface.ini"

It says this 6 times on the top portion of the screen.

I can continue to play, but it is annoying seeing this pop up every turn.

If I happen to look into a city the error message will disappear for one turn, but pop up again on the very next turn.

What is going on? Any clue? It did this for 3.0 as well.

I really need to see your log files. Please make sure you read the Bug Reporting post in this thread before posting up a bug! ;)

I got 3.0 to work; but I can't seem to get the Civ colors to change. I like the US dark green and Rome Red. I go to the Global INI in XML and change the colors, start the game and the colors are the same as it was before I changed them... any ideas?

I'm not at my computer that has HiTM at the moment, but you should be able to do this in the CIV4Civilizations.xml file, or what ever it's called. Just find the tag that defines the color of the Civ and change it. I believe Russia is red and the Incans are dark green? Just swap the tags around...

Thanks for defending me Grave, not sure why someone would take a swipe at me for simply saying im having problems. Im stumped too why some do and some dont have problems. I had everything working great and now nothing is right. I have followed your directions to the "T" in putting in the patch and the other 2 files, but everything is crazy in it. Ive dumped the cache too, but something is just not going right. I wonder if the file I DL, got corrupted or what not.

Also, dont think that my problems mean Im against you or your mod! Your mod is the reason Im still playing Civ 4 and im bummed I cant get it to work. Once again, I wonder if this could be a vista issue since some of the folders are a bit different. I do know when I copy over that Assests file, that it breaks my BoTS and I have to re-install it. I have no idea why, but the error gets so bad I have to ctrl alt del shutdown the program to get out of it.

Meh... it's all good in the hood. :p

Do you have full admin rights to BtS on your computer? Maybe that's the problem. There is no way in HELL that a mod should be able to corrupt your original copy of BtS. The files have absoutely no relation to each other at all.

Just one more reason for me to keep away from Vista! :lol:

I have installed the new patch only and things are good so far. Was working on the bug where I cant get unrestricted leaders to work and took a screen of it which is custom1stscreen. Then I just started checking boxes and when I got to No barbarians I noticed that gave me the ability to have unrestricted leaders, even though I dont have that one checked...thats custom2ndscreen. Any ideas why that would be happening?

Also, is there a way to enable mouse scrolling...I could have sworn I saw an option for it somewhere but now I cant find it haha :)

Another update, when I select the choose religion option, it not only allows me to choose the religion, but also makes me go to war perm with any civs I come across...wow are my wires crossed somewhere or what?!

Ah, I know what's wrong....

You NEED to download the second Interim Fix to correct this. This has to do with Civ4 not liking it when you re-arrange the game options on this screen. You will see that Assimilation, Culturally Linked Starts, Barbarian City Challenge, etc are all mixed into the options? They need to be at the bottom of the lists, otherwise you may check off "No Barbarians" but you will get something different. It's as if the game labels them on thing, but when you check it, it applies to another set of rules instead.

I had to recompile a new DLL for the second Interim Fix. But, I did not change anything with any of the SDK files except for one thing, and that is the order in which the options load in one of the C++ files. In other words, the code in v3.00's DLL and in the Interim Fix are the EXACT same (spare moving one line of code).

So this Interim Fix should solve your issues. It will be included in the next patch anyway, so might as well download it... :lol:

Well, thanks.... but I'm not trying to insult Cross Cowboy. He's been an instrumental part in isolating some UI bugs. :goodjob:

Hey, I wasn't trying to insult... I do get CTDs however after installing patch 3.01. The subsequent hotfix(es) do not seem to addres this...

i put in the assets folder where you said to and these are the 2 errors I got...which is better than before. These happen right at the xml(uncached) part of the loading screen.

Also, I wish I didnt have Vista...man does it cause problems...I miss XP which IMHO, worked very well...sigh

Attachments

• xml error 1.jpg
    xml error 1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 133
  • xml error 2.jpg
    xml error 2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 120
@GRAVE You might like to know,that FileFront is and will be keeping going. Its original founders bought it back at the last minute....
Spoiler :
FileFront has been acquired by the original founders of the site and will NOT be suspended as previously announced. This is NOT an April Fool's Joke.

After learning about Ziff Davis Media's plan to suspend FileFront at the end of March, the original founders of FileFront made the decision to buy it back from Ziff Davis Media.

We're happy to announce to the gaming community that as of today, April 1st, 2009, FileFront is a completely independent company again and is no longer part of Ziff Davis Media. All previously suspended services should be active and working again. We thank Ziff Davis Media for their cooperation and willingness to keep the site and community alive.

Due to the very unfortunate timing of this event and related announcements on March 24th and April 1st (April Fool's Day), we'd like to make it perfectly clear that:

1) 1) The March 24th announcement about FileFront suspending its operation was NOT an early April Fool's joke.

2) This announcement about the original founders buying back FileFront from Ziff Davis Media is also NOT an April Fool's joke.

3) We're making this announcement on April 1st because the deal was completed today and we want to bring all services back online immediately.

4) We would NEVER suspend FileFront as an April Fool's joke.

5) We are happy to be back!

FileFront has existed in one form or another (originally as FileLeech and Voodoo Extreme's downloads) since 1997. In the last 12 years, FileFront has become the gaming community's most comprehensive and trafficked library hosting millions of files for thousands of games while requiring no registration and providing uncapped download speeds. We look forward to improving FileFront and serving the gaming community for years to come.

Welcome home. Game On!

Email us, founders@filefront.com

How is Pirates Mod working? When I add barbarian ships with cargo space with world builder they never have a crew. And I've never seen an invasion.

Oh and how do I stop AI autoplay? ctrl+shift+x seems to be unlimited. cannot stop, even not by loading a save game. :D

Im not sure then how to stop it...I wonder why so many things are different for others? Also Grave, I have no idea why, but everytime I put in the 2nd fix, the assets, I get nothing but errors, and have to totally re-install BoTS. Im putting it in the HiTM mod folder, in that assets, yet for some reason it totally messes up my BoTS. Its so werid. I wonder again, if this isnt a Vista vs XP error...grrr

Im not sure then how to stop it...I wonder why so many things are different for others? Also Grave, I have no idea why, but everytime I put in the 2nd fix, the assets, I get nothing but errors, and have to totally re-install BoTS. Im putting it in the HiTM mod folder, in that assets, yet for some reason it totally messes up my BoTS. Its so werid. I wonder again, if this isnt a Vista vs XP error...grrr
Trick question: is that the mod folder under C:\Users\"Cross Cowboy"\Documents?

Hi there.

I hope this is the correct place to report HITM CTD's - Heres mine.

Ive just started my first 3.0 game with Egypt. Anout 30 turns into it it consistently crashes. From the timing and the feel of it I *think* its an issue with first contact with a civ, but it CTD's right after pressing enter, so i do not know for sure. (This is the first civ that ive bumped into so im not sure if its civ specific or just a general contact issue).

I reloaded the auto save and went through it a couple of times with exactly the same result.

The save attached is the save right before the CTD - Just press enter and you will experience it.

I run Vista 64 (Whoops) and start the game with the CIV 4 mod chooser. I don't remember a similar problem on 2.x versions, though its been a while since ive played.

Gut feeling is that it relates to a specific civ, but i know nowt really :) Im gonna play variants etc, see if i can be more usefull - ill post if i have anything to add.

Good job on the Mod though.

Attachments

• Just about to CTD for grave BC-2680.CivBeyondSwordSave
    79.4 KB · Views: 62
Update - loaded auto save and founded a city instead of pushing forward, and still got a CTD in a couple of turns.

update 2 -

Started new game as the Japs, met animals no problem, then got a CTD about 50 turns into game.

See attached file for game just before CTD, let me know if you need anything else.

Attachments

• Jap before crash BC-2640.CivBeyondSwordSave
    83.4 KB · Views: 157
C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\HISTORY IN THE MAKING\Assets

That is the entire listing it takes me to get to my HiTM assets. Well i guess not the assets part as that means im in the folder.

Top Bottom