[Beyond the Sword] History In The Making

IS there any issue with this mod if your Civilization directory is not in C:/ ?

My directory is 'F:\Games\Civilization IV\Beyond the Sword\Mods' cos I like to keep my Windows install and games completely seperate. My game CTD with an error message about three quarters of the way through map setup in Custom game mode.

I was told FfH had an issue with not being in the default C:/ dir., but that works fine.

Its one of the usual Microsoft "beyondthesword.exe has had to close. Sorry for the inconvenience. Would you like to send an error report to Microsoft?" or somethin to that effect.

In fact, for some reason my build version still says 3.02 or whatever and I know the latest patch is 3.13. Whenever i run the patch though, it says 3.13 is already installed. I go ahead and do it anyway but it seems like its extracting to the C:\ drive, because it leaves an 'assets' and 'warlords' folder on my C:\ drive.

Could this be the cause? I dont know why the patch is installin to C:\ when Civ is on the F:\ drive.

Did you read the supplied Readme with HiTM? I bet you didn't... because your answer is in there. :mischief:

Sounds like your copy of BtS is jacked up on your computer. I'd uninstall everything and re-install a fresh copy just to make sure.

Is it intended that the Scythian Chariot of Persia DOES recieve tile defense bonus? It is unusual for mounted units to get this bonus. BTW I have been in war with Ahmadi Nigad four times now and his chariots have given me hard time hiding in jungles and forests on hills where my spearmen can't do much against them.

That's why they're unique... the get tile defense bonus. ;)

By the way on which personality is Ahmadi's LH based on.

Umm... he's based on the real life Ahmadinejad, who else? :p

The guy acquired Hinduism from me quite early, was pleased with me but then suddenly he DWOed me though I was more powerful than him. He was in war with Alexander two times so far as well. All that in classical era alone.

That's because you and Alexander are INFIDELS!!! :lol:

You or Alexander don't happen to have a Peace Treaty with Israel, do you?:mischief:

About Ahmadi Nejad (by the way it is two separate words/names). I meant which XML LH you started with (Monty, Napoleon, ...). The guy is nuts. He also keeps refusing to talk for a longer time than others (stone-headed like Bismark).

I figured it out, it does work, it just takes 15 minutes to load the map, and once im in there it lags pretty bad. Im playing on Odyssey speed and Planetary size. Can my computer not handle it? If not its wierd because I can play CoD 4 and Oblivion max settings with 40 FPS on Oblivion and 130 on CoD 4 with very minimal lag. I wouldnt imagine Civ 4 has higher standards than those two.

Grave, in your second post you state the following....

"OPTIONAL UNIQUE UNIT AND UNIQUE BUILDING MODULE INCLUDED IN v1.5."

Does this mean that these are all within v1.5 and I do not have to do anything to ADD them? I really want your changes you made. I just want to make sure I do not have to download anything else.

Thanks!

- manooly

Never mind Nejad. The guy needed some sense to be put into his head. I got no means to get it there other than on the tip of an arrow. He didn't seem to take it well though oops!! Well, he's in a better place now, and his cities got a better leader. :lol:

Grave, in your second post you state the following....

"OPTIONAL UNIQUE UNIT AND UNIQUE BUILDING MODULE INCLUDED IN v1.5."

Does this mean that these are all within v1.5 and I do not have to do anything to ADD them? I really want your changes you made. I just want to make sure I do not have to download anything else.

Thanks!

- manooly

Yes they are all included in the one HiTM 1.5 download, although you may also want to install the 1.51 patch.

Hey Grave! first off let me say your mod is amazing!! I posted my issue over on the Tech Support section but I figured I'd ask you because you seem to be quite the overall guru. I'd really appreciated your "2 cents" if you have a second. I'm willing and desperate to try anything. Maybe a simple change in my .ini file? Just not sure. Anyways, here it is......

I've been trying to figure out why my laptop with 2GB of RAM and an AMD 64 processor continues to lag and cause very slow/choppy lag. Civ4 use to run flawlessly for me, but as of late is has became rather slow (even on Standard size maps). I use to run HUGE maps without any lag or slowdown. The one strange thing I noticed last night while playing is when it started to get slow, I hit the "Windows" button on my kepyboard which brought me back to the desktop. I let it sit for a minute and then went back into the game (Civ4 with BtS installed on a Standard size map). The lag disappeared and it was smooth again for a while. If I keep doing this it seems to "clear it's mind or something". I am not a computer guru, but I do know enough to be dangerous. Does anyone have an explanation for this or maybe even a fix? Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

BTW: I notice the biggest slowdown and lag when I have a bunch of Jungle tiles exposed. Not sure if this helps or not. Are there any VERY low resolution terrain mods I can load and try? I already have the "LOW Terrain Graphics" selected within the settings.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

- manooly

I appreciate everyone's patience with my mod. I've updated it to correct the problems with forests and workers.

Note, that if you do wish to produce a non-expanded-city radius (as I've been unable to reproduce these crashes), go into CvCity.cpp and change the getNumPlots() function and comment out the clauses for radii 3 and 4. Also, change CvGlobals.cpp such that NUM_CITY_PLOTS equals 21. That won't totally remove this mod, but it's much easier than maintaining two fairly different DLL files.

If users would please try making a city in ancient times and then building a lighthouse. This has caused crashes for some users in previous versions of the mod, and the crashes may be caused by founding a city in Medieval era or later where the lighthouse comes free. Or, if this CTD happens in earlier eras upon founding a city, tell me.

manooly Do you defragment your hard drive on a regular basis? You should. It will really help.

Grave, everything works fine now with the patch. I did set my graphics to medium settings to avoid slowing down or a video memory allocation failure. You must have put in alot of high end graphics for units, for my computor to get the MAF. But no matter I can't tell much difference between high and medium graphics, and the victims cities still burn and smolder quite nicely as my troops razes them :).

Hey Grave! first off let me say your mod is amazing!! I posted my issue over on the Tech Support section but I figured I'd ask you because you seem to be quite the overall guru. I'd really appreciated your "2 cents" if you have a second. I'm willing and desperate to try anything. Maybe a simple change in my .ini file? Just not sure. Anyways, here it is......

I've been trying to figure out why my laptop with 2GB of RAM and an AMD 64 processor continues to lag and cause very slow/choppy lag. Civ4 use to run flawlessly for me, but as of late is has became rather slow (even on Standard size maps). I use to run HUGE maps without any lag or slowdown. The one strange thing I noticed last night while playing is when it started to get slow, I hit the "Windows" button on my kepyboard which brought me back to the desktop. I let it sit for a minute and then went back into the game (Civ4 with BtS installed on a Standard size map). The lag disappeared and it was smooth again for a while. If I keep doing this it seems to "clear it's mind or something". I am not a computer guru, but I do know enough to be dangerous. Does anyone have an explanation for this or maybe even a fix? Please let me know if you need any other information from me.

BTW: I notice the biggest slowdown and lag when I have a bunch of Jungle tiles exposed. Not sure if this helps or not. Are there any VERY low resolution terrain mods I can load and try? I already have the "LOW Terrain Graphics" selected within the settings.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks for your time!

- manooly

The funny thing is, that I personally do not have the problem, but I saw something that could it be connected with.
I don´t know, if this is a HiTm prolem or a BtS general problem, since i play BtS only with the HiTm mod.
I noticed, that after hours of gaming, my RAM (2GB) became nearly full, even when I was not playing a huge or even large map or something, just hours of gameplay (and no other "big" applications open, only beyondthesword.exe, which consumed nearly the whole ram).

When I save my game, quit BtS/HiTm and reload it seconds later, the same savegame uses much much less memory.
Maybe the memory allocation doesn´t set free no longer used RAM but always gets more and more.
As I said, could be a General problem with BtS (and is easily fixed by reloading), so PLEEEEAAAAASEEEE Grave, no delay in the next version. :( :(

Zoid

I noticed, that after hours of gaming, my RAM (2GB) became nearly full, even when I was not playing a huge or even large map or something, just hours of gameplay (and no other "big" applications open, only beyondthesword.exe, which consumed nearly the whole ram).

When I save my game, quit BtS/HiTm and reload it seconds later, the same savegame uses much much less memory.
Maybe the memory allocation doesn´t set free no longer used RAM but always gets more and more.
As I said, could be a General problem with BtS (and is easily fixed by reloading), so PLEEEEAAAAASEEEE Grave, no delay in the next version. :( :(

Zoid

What you describe here is a classical memory leak syndrome. It is unfortunately a known issue with civ4 and its expansions. It is quite a shame because it exhibit poor programing.

Trevort, thanks for your response. Yep, I just defragged and I do it quite often. Very strange when I go to the desktop and then back into the game it seems to "speed up".

Its a good mod but imo it needs an earth map (not just an ancient civs one)

But good work nontheless

Now it works for me also. No CTDs so far. BUT:

The Atomic Bomber, when used to bomb a tile or city crashes the game now (it didn't used to). Does anyone have the same problem? I tested it by adding it through the Worldbuilder.

Couple of Question:

How do you change FLAVOR units for a Civ? Example: I play with Alexander (a Greek myself) and I' d like to use the Apache instead of vanilla Gunship. The greek military uses them so... :)

If it's just me having the issue with the Atomic Bomber and as i wouldn't like the game to crash when AI uses it or when i use it, how do you remove it?

Thanks in advance. A wonderful mod for Civ4. I play this game since Civ1. Never been so adicted to it. Keep up the good work.

Any prospects for HiTM being made "compliant" with the World of Civilization module Mods format so that it could be included in that project too?

Top Bottom