Bhall...

There's no 'edge'. Whether through magic, dimensional twisting, or a mystical rutabaga, you can just keep 'walking' in any single direction you wish, and you'll eventually wind up in the same spot.

That's how I envision it, anyway. Play Nikis-Knight's map if you want further help envisioning it ;)

How big do you think Erebus is?
Does one have to walk for 1000, 10 000 or 100 000 miles to get "around" it?

I have no clue. Big enough to hold all nations.

Been reading the Lore on Erebus, and I do hope that someday they change Oceans to Mist ;) (which would answer your question of where the Oceans go to. There aren't any.)

According to the Lore, the plane of existence for Erebus is the "Heaven" of Oghma. There are lots of important details about what everything is, but it boils down to: This is a construct of one of the Angels, it does as the Angel wills it to do. Hence, it can easily be flat, Cylindrical or Donut shaped.

The reason we can safely say it isn't round: In a round world, you can circumnavigate the poles in fewer moves than you can circumnavigate the equator. That simply isn't an option in Civ, so the world simply isn't round. Your options are:
Flat (typically regarded as just a section of a whole world)
Cylindrical (sides connect, top & bottom block you off. Closest Civ comes to approximating a round world, you assume that the area of the poles where it actually is different than the equator are not accessible)
Toroidal (My personal favorite for maps. You can wrap top to bottom and side to side. However, this means your world is Donut shaped)

The cylindrical map is supposed to approximate the sphere by claiming that the poles are too hostile for anyone to travel. Remember also that distance = speed x time, so assuming that it's harder to travel on colder climates than warmer ones, the "enlarged" areas are actually accurately represented, and units just take longer to travel. Of course we are imagining large ice caps here, not the ones on Earth that are about to disappear in 10 years. Why are large ice caps so hard to imagine anyway? This is the end of the age of ice!

Torodial maps can be donut, they can also be spherical, albeit with "distorted" dimensions as usual. Either way, I STILL cannot accept that Erebus is flat. I can't imagine a flat world, nor could I imagine Bhall falling through the ground into hell. There is also another problem though.

When the Bannor were in Hell, there weren't really humans, but rather souls, without flesh, but with souls that can be injured, captured and tortured again. But they can't be "killed", because they're already "dead". Perhaps this need clarification: once a human enters hell, the flesh becomes "shade-nature", the very physical nature of everything changes. Once you enter a portal back to the mortal realm, you become "substantial" again, and then you can be killed just like normal. If my interpretation is correct, Bhall could not have literally fell through the ground into hell, for that would imply that hell and Erebus have the same "nature of existance" or "rules of physics". Similarly, demons cannot just burst through the ground into Erebus and burn up the whole place. They have to be summoned by a portal, an alternate and parallel dimension of existance that cannot be reached via any amount of physical travelling, just like travelling any distance along the surface of the Earth will not get you to the moon.

She did literally fall, but not due to gravity. Something like, when she embraced Agares' plan, she was pushed from the "heavenly" plane, through the mortal to the "hellish" planes. Pushed or fled, "fall" may not the the best way of putting it as a physical action, but she passed through the physical realm on her way to her new home.

You have to assume there are some rules beyond physics that effect all dimensions of temporance whether or not they share the same common physical laws.

The big rule of FfH is that the gods will is manifested in Erebus, intentionally or unintentionally. Their agreement to withdraw from direct action in creation created the godslayer, their fears created the horsemen, and bhalls corruption was physically manifested as well.

You are right that hell and Erebus don't share the same reality (you can't dig down x feet to get to hell), but Bhalls fall created a physical connection between those two worlds. And the bulk of braduk was dragged down to hell with her.

Resurection!!!
Aren't the Horsemen the Archangels of some of the gods?

Sorry, you're right. On the list of the Archangels I saw the Avatar of Wrath for Camulos and didn't look any farther.

If Bhall made a hole in creation when she fell, does that mean that the undying flame is similar to/can be used like The Fane of Lessers?

Sorry, you're right. On the list of the Archangels I saw the Avatar of Wrath for Camulos and didn't look any farther.

Y'know, I've never really liked the AoW being Camulos' archangel. Everything before was beyond the gods, their very fears made manifest and then it ends with... what, another archangel? And why should he be so much more powerful than the ones already roaming? We've already got Sabathiel running the Bannor, Cassiel working with the Grigori, Brigit chilling out in the Ring of Carcer, and Hyborem and Basium at each other's throats. An archangel at that point is... anticlimactic. Originally, IIRC, the Avatar was actually the wrath and fury of all those who died in Armageddon manifesting itself into an abominable horror of pure hatred. I prefer to still think of him as that, rather than a "mere" archangel.

Yeah, same here. I've considered changing it back when I finally get around to releasing my modmod. Camulos might need a new archangel then though. On the other hand, it might be more appropriate for their to be no archangels in the anarchy that is the Chaos sphere. Maybe he made his angels/demons all at once instead of making the strongest one first, and whichever demon is on top on any given day could vary widely. We do already know that his hell is a constant war between numerous powerful demons who all want to kill the god and usurp his precept.

When is this fabled mod coming out? It sounds very fun.
Does each of the Riders sort of represent a deadly sin or something? Or is it the Riders of the Apocalypse? A mix?

I think it is fairly clear they are the riders of the apocalypse. Buboes is War (I mean its the name of his sword!), Stephanos is conquest, Yersina is pestilence, Ars is death.
I had to do a bit of digging to connect Stephanos to conquest since the most common renditions of the horsemen are War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death. Conquest was kind of forgotten and replaced with famine at some point.

They aren't deadly sins, they are the Gods' worst fears manifest

Yeah the horsemen are themaically based on the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Though there is something int he game that is thematically based on the 7 deadly sins (lust, envy, gluttony, sloth and wrath are well connected though the links between the final 2 and pride and greed aren't as strong).

Would that be the respective falls of Gods?

I'm thinking;
Lust: Aeron (for Gabella)
Pride: Bhall (Agares playing her off against the good Gods)
Mulcarn: Sloth
Wrath: Camulous
Greed: ...I'm thinking Esus
Gluttony: Ceridwen
Envy: I think Agares (of the one)

which leaves Mammon the odd one out, unless the lack of foresight is seen was seen as a dent of his pride?

Nope, its the Sheaim planar summons.

Wrath: Minotaur
Gluttony: Manticore
Lust: Succubus
Envy: Reveler
Sloth: Tar Demon
Pride: Mobius Witch
Greed: Chaos Marauder

Top Bottom