[RD] Big Brother or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Facial Recognition

I do loss prevention at a supermarket. I would love to get some facial recognition cameras, but they are very expensive.

Some of the malls were found to have this installed in their mall directories. After an outcry about privacy, they had to be removed.

I do loss prevention at a supermarket. I would love to get some facial recognition cameras, but they are very expensive.
Nobody seems new to OT. Welcome.

California is passing a law (or already passed one) that bars the police from using facial recognition technology in most instances.

Nobody is old to OT entonces welcome back.

A lot of first place cities are banning it in various forms.

I don't have a problem with it, but do object to some of it's uses.

Constrained to public places, it's barely different than we've experienced for years now. They've long had security cameras/footage to match with plane tickets to know you were there.

What I don't like is actual anti-privacy practices like China forcing this to use the internet anywhere, or people being docked just for being present at a place.

Devil's in the details of how its used, but past trends don't leave me hopeful.

In this instance is big brother the government or a private entity?

The link 404's me, but often the distinction doesn't mean a lot in practice since in most cases if the government wants something, it will get it. I suppose not having it in private hands marginally reduces the risk of illegal access just on the grounds of somewhat fewer error points.

I'm opposed to surveillance generally, and I'm opposed to anything which expands the role, authority, or power of the police particularly, so yeah, I don't like this.

Not a fan but starting to realize my only hope is to shape the fascist states you guys are going to create so they have some semblance of recourse to the law and justice. If the US and the proliferation of "Ring" devices tell me anything we are building our own prison even in the free nations.

Not a fan but starting to realize my only hope is to shape the fascist states you guys are going to create so they have some semblance of recourse to the law and justice. If the US and the proliferation of "Ring" devices tell me anything we are building our own prison even in the free nations.

On the contrary, this level of potential control of population/limitation of freedom is a very convenient step if one's path leads to authoritarian governance.

The only "recourse to law and justice" that counts are those that the ruling party wants to count. I'd rather the West didn't do its best to low-key emulate China until it stops needing to be low key about it, personally.

Foucault's (metaphorical) panopticons have been 'round for a long time. :shifty:

Foucault's (metaphorical) panopticons have been 'round for a long time. :shifty:

Nice reference. It seems to be scaling much faster now that individuals are en masse placing them in and on their own homes. Its obviously only a few clicks from being at say NSA's disposal. Anyways the idea and roots have been around for a long time, the practical reality is becoming fact in obviously oppressive states like China and less obvious ones like the US.

Nice reference. It seems to be scaling much faster now that individuals are en masse placing them in and on their own homes. Its obviously only a few clicks from being at say NSA's disposal. Anyways the idea and roots have been around for a long time, the practical reality is becoming fact in obviously oppressive states like China and less obvious ones like the US.

I mean, I would argue we're already there. Between the anxiety everyday people experience at spending time on facebook and seeing the (mostly fake) luxuriant lives of their peers to the phenomenon of finsta's and fwitters - the process of maintaining an official insta/twitter account for employers and a secondary insta/twitter as a place for you to tell the world how you really feel about things - it's rather apparent that the panopticon as described in Foucault completed its process of moving out of the Army barracks and the becubicled office and has been in the "public sphere" for quite a while at this point.

I mean, I would argue we're already there. Between the anxiety everyday people experience at spending time on facebook and seeing the (mostly fake) luxuriant lives of their peers to the phenomenon of finsta's and fwitters - the process of maintaining an official insta/twitter account for employers and a secondary insta/twitter as a place for you to tell the world how you really feel about things - it's rather apparent that the panopticon as described in Foucault completed its process of moving out of the Army barracks and the becubicled office and has been in the "public sphere" for quite a while at this point.

Hmm I certainly do not consider my Facebook account as pertinent to my employment. Of course I don't think credit scores pertinent for 99.99% of jobs either yet here we are, so maybe you're right and I'm just old and it all passed me by. A Privacy amendment would be nice, international law on it would be better.

Hmm I certainly do not consider my Facebook account as pertinent to my employment. Of course I don't think credit scores pertinent for 99.99% of jobs either yet here we are, so maybe you're right and I'm just old and it all passed me by. A Privacy amendment would be nice, international law on it would be better.

The US is an at-will employment country. This means that, broadly speaking (i.e. with some caveats relating to contract-violation in some (but not all!) states), so long as the firm isn't running afoul of NLRB union-protections, or protected class statutes, they can fire anybody, for any reason (viz. with no "cause" necessary), at any time.

Additionally, only 10 states have banned firms from including credit-checks as a criterion for hiring. So, yeah. We may look down our noses and scoff at China's absurd "social credit" program. But between credit checks for renting apartments, and credit checks as a precondition for employment, and turning over social media credentials to interviewers (an actual thing a lot of firms require of prospective hires during the hiring process!), we de facto have the same thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom