• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

BirdNES 3: When Worlds Collide

To Delhi Sultanate
From Gujarat Sultanate

Burn in hell, lapdog of people who believe in cows and elephants.

To Gujarat Sultanate
From Delhi Sultanate

AS OF YET, we will not engage in hostilities with any nation, Muslim or Hindu. However, we would wish for you not to take such a hostile attitude to us, it would be very unseemly for us to need to intervene at a later date.

We are merely rebuilding ties with the Hindus, we are not, say, putting them in charge of the nation. It is for the common good to simply make peace so that anarchy will not come. And you would be wish to follow that.

To True Muslims of the Delhi Sultanate
From Gujarat Sultanate

Anyone want to join the war against Rajput? We can't allow cow-people to take over Muslim land.

To Barbak Shah
From Gujarat Sultanate

We will support you to your throne if you help us! We will make you commander of all Delhi soldiers who join us if you join us in war with those loyal to you and one day you may become the real Sultan of Delhi!

Player stories that were contributed to this update are usually italicized, but some of the longer passages or if appropriate for other reasons, they are in quote boxes. I think they improve the update enormously and made my job easier and more enjoyable. Thank you for contributing them. Players generally will find that those who sent very short orders with little descriptive material have shorter sections in the update. I try to work with and expand upon what you provide. They more you tell me about your nation and what's happening, the more I can include either through your stories or my own.

Update 1: 1491-1495​

Our story begins in the east where the day breaks and the sun rises to illuminate the world.

The Forbidden City
The Hongzhi Emperor and his wife, the Empress Zhang, sat comfortably in the gardens deep within the Forbidden City much like the previous Ming Emperors had done for over 100 years. It had been almost 60 years since the reforms of Emperor Hongxi and his Xuande had turned China inward and away from the world beyond the borders. Confucianism was in ascendant and peace abroad in his kingdom. The eunuchs of the inner court and bureaucrats of the outer were powerful and conservative forces for the status quo, but Hongzhi was would not be deterred. He would turn his nation around to once more look beyond itself. He would support traders and their desire to freely access foreign goods; he would open more coastal cites to foreign ships and he would ferment discord among his barbarian northern neighbors. And he would build a navy to deal justice to the Wokou.

In the garden the afternoon sun was warm and shade appeared before any discomfort was felt by the royal couple. As they drank their tea a minister of the secret police read reports collected by agents. His plans were already stirring enthusiasm form the merchants and resistance from the courts.

As the minister read from the journal of Liu Xang, the Emperor ceased stroking his wife’s hand and listened:

“The northern steppes were a cold place was Liu Xang’s first thought as he pulled his cloak closer around himself for warmth. He had passed the northern most border post and the Great Wall several weeks ago. Now he was on endless plains and that stretched out in the distance. Perhaps they were wrong he thought. Perhaps there are no tribes here.

Suddenly he saw it. Smoke rising in the horizon. It must be a camp. Suddenly he didn’t know whether he should be relieved or terrified. He would have to parley with the barbarians. The money bags tied to his belt jingled as he dismounted.

Once he had reached the camp he spoke in the barbarian tongue and quickly arranged a meeting with the ruler. A ragged and dirty looking man dressed in some sort of animal fur and covered in scars.
“What do you want?” he snarled

Liu Xang drew himself up imperiously and tossed three bags of coins onto the floor in front of him. The taels from the third bag spilled out just as he had planned having loosened the string beforehand. He smirked inwardly; he had a flair for theatrics. The barbarian ruler eyed him speculatively now. “What is this?”

“This is gold.” replied Liu Xang. “The Emperor Hongzhi sends his greetings. He has sent me as his loyal servant to bear emissary to your people, for the Son of Heaven desires war. A tribe to your east has laid great insult upon the Empire of the Great Ming and their existence on the fringes of the Middle Kingdom is an affront to us. The Son of Heaven commands that you consider war against these upstarts who have sullied his honour and he will fill your coffers with more gold then you could spend in this lifetime or the next.”
The barbarian lord nodded his eyes still transfixed on the gold coins scattering the dirt floor. “We will crush them.”
Liu Xang smiled the Emperor would be pleased. “

And he was pleased. After that, there was brief pause while a man and a woman entered the garden dressed as townspeople of some low rank. At a nod from the minister they began:

“Praise to the Emperor!” shouted Shiu Chien as he burst through the doors of his house.
“What is wrong with you!” exclaimed his harassed looking wife
“Praise the Emperor” Shiu Chien said a second time and out of the folds of his dusty robes he produced a piece of paper bearing the imperial seal on it. “Do you know what this is? It is a passport! The Emperor has granted three thousand passports for us to travel abroad and engage in trade.”
“He has?” his wife asked incredulously
“Yes I will be leaving immediately from Guangzhou and heading south to Malacca. Quick pack my things no time to waste! My competitors will be leaving soon as well.” Shiu Chien said breathlessly racing out the door as quickly as he came in.
“Well I never.” said his wife still looking shocked.

When the two had completed the short dialog and departed both the Emperor and his wife smiled and nodded in pleasure. It had been both informative and entertaining. Hongzhi was quite pleased with himself and did not notice the scowling eunuchs standing in the shadows.

Okinawa
Sho Shin even rewarded the messenger with a few silver coins before he was dismissed. The news had been good on two fronts. First, Chinese ports were loosening their restrictions and more welcoming to Ryukyu merchants. That alone was worth the bits of silver. Second, his new fort on Taiwan had taken root and was beginning to send much needed resources home. The recent improvements to his own harbors would surely begin to pay off. He felt powerful and, in his own way, an equal to the great Emperor of the Ming himself. Sho Shin had never seen the Forbidden City, Peking or, for that matter, the coast of China, but he was sure Hongzhi’s walled home could not much more grandiose than his own magnificent palace of cut stone and carved wood rooftops. Perhaps he would invite the Emperor for a visit once they were on more personal terms.

Indonesia
The Sultan of Malacca had plans, big plans. The spice trade from the eastern isles provided a steady flow of ships and money through the narrow straits between Malaya and Sumatra. He knew the rich cargoes were headed for India, but beyond that the world was less clear and the nations ill defined. Mahmud Shah was confident that if he stayed strong he could build a great empire that would last for generations of his children and grandchildren, but he would have to begin now. China was awakening and rumors of merchants and ships from Ming traveling south were trickling their way down the coast. His navy was growing, but he could not afford silly mistakes like the one at Aceh. His ill informed advisors had told him the northern end of Sumatra was empty of all, but peasant farmers and a few traders and suitable for a great port and expansion of his power. His expedition there found it to be not quite so empty and not embracing of his leadership. It was a thriving port with a powerful king and troops of his own. In fact it was there in Aceh that the words of the beloved Prophet had first reached this part of the world. His expedition returned home unbloodied, but red with embarrassment.

Delhi
Sikander Shah pondered what he was about to do. Being actual sultan was not as he had dreamed about as a youth. There were troubles he had never anticipated. His family was as much a problem as his enemies. His uncle, Alam Khan had ambitions to rule as did his older brother Barbak Shah. To make matters worse, the Hindus were chaffing under their harsh Muslim overlords and unrest and civil strife a daily part of Delhi life. There were too many battles to fight and today he hoped to ease the anger of his Hindu people so he could take on his own family without distraction. To begin he used gold. Bribes could go far in winning friends and influencing those opposed to him to look at the world a bit differently. That had cooled the ardor of rebellion among many of his family. Today’s proclamation was a step to curb the people.

“My fellow Muslims and Hindus, citizens of the Great Delhi Sultanate. I have asked you to attend to this rally for an important announcement, one that will change Delhi for the better. We are implementing a new policy to reestablish friendly relations with the Hindus of our nation. This policy should've been enacted before, before the violence and destruction. However, it was not. We must not repeat that mistake, to bring ruin upon our nation. They have been oppressed for too long. The Prophet wouldn't have approved of such treatment, he meant for fellow humans to love one another, he would wish for an end of the violence. We must approach this in this way, we must follow not only the way of Mohammad, but Hindus must also follow their beliefs of non-violence. I understand that many of my fellow Muslims will not like this policy, and that Hindus will be skeptical and may still be resentful. However, we must be willing to accept each other, and forgive. We should not shun those different from us, indeed we should embrace them. Our beliefs may be different, but the embrace will surely guide our souls to a better place. We need not act out our violence; it will not help us meet Allah, or whichever God you believe in. I ask all of you, to join me in this hour, to resolve our long-standing feuds, and unite. We must come together as one, for the greater good of not only our nation, but our God. Allah Bless You. “

Ardabil Capital of the Safavids
“The winter of 1490 was a cold and dreary time in the hilly city of Ardabil, the seat of Safavid power. Just years prior Ardabil had presided over a rising state of conquest and expanding influence. The great Sheikh Heydar, descended from the ancient glory of the Safiviyeh Sufi Order, had put his religion on the map against infidels of the Mongol ilk. Campaigns had expanded the realm of the forerunner Safavids to the banks of Mesopotamia to the mountains of southern Persia. Aided by the red-turbaned Turkish horsemen who now commanded the battalions of the Safavid military, the Qizilbash, the Safavids were rising to become the pre-eminent power of the region.

But it had all gone wrong two years ago, when the Qizilbash and their leader Sheikh Hayder were decisively defeated on a campaign in the Caucasus Mountains by the forces of Yaqub and the Aq Qoyunlu Dynasty. In the following months, the Aq Qoyunlu viciously pursued the remnants of Hayder’s army, killing his heir and son Ali. The remaining of Qizilbash retreated into the mountains and behind the city walls of Ardabil in preparation for a final assault from the Aq Qoyunlu that never came. The urgency of the Safavid domain died down as word came that the Aq Qoyunlu had disappeared back into the Caucasus Mountains.

Now, over a year later, the chieftains of the Qizilbash gathered in Ardabil to plot their next moves. Many wondered what would become of their fledging country now that their beloved leader was in Allah’s hands.

The messenger came on horseback, alone. He rode through the snowy night and onto the city’s streets. Ardabil had been devastated by the Mongol conquest, but it had again become a hive of activity with the rise of Sheikh Hayder. Tonight, however, the streets were quiet and almost abandoned in the harsh cold. The messenger passed easily through the guards at the city gates, but he had a harder time when he arrived at his destination.

The ancient complex of the Sheikh Sufi al-Din was one of the only illuminated areas of the city by this point in the night. Embers from lamps and fires glowed from inside the complex walls and the low hum of conversation could be heard. There were guards stationed at the entrance, with stately red headgear and an alertness that distinguished them from their city gate counterparts.

“By the grace of Allah, what business do you have here in Ardabil?”
“I have important news, and, Allah-willing, the men inside these walls must know of it.”
“And by what station has Allah bestowed upon you to give it?”

The messenger dismounted from his steed and took off his traveling hood to reveal a red turban underneath. The guard bowed, the messenger reciprocated, and entered the complex.

Akçay was not a giant of a man. He was wizened, with a full length of beard, his small gaunt face almost disappearing under the seeming weight of his enormous red headgear. But he was a giant in this hall, commanding the full attention of the Qizilbash commanders and city governors in the room. He had been the most trusted of Hayder’s lieutenants, and had tutored the dead heir Ali the arts of war.

His voice, although seemingly meek, echoed through the hall with the colors of his meaning. “We should not be so impetuous as to push needlessly into the heart of the lands of Shaitan. I have authorized the purchase of cannon for the siege of the Shaitan’s capital, but first we must to turn the attention of the Persian nobles who must carry Allah’s right to govern, as well as our dealing with those who profess Allah’s… By the name of Allah, who goes there?”

He swept into the hall with a swift gait, and stood at the other end of hall and called out, “My name by the gift of Allah is Savas al-Ardabil and I come to bring auspicious tidings.”

“Very well, as Allah wills it, proceed.”
“Firstly, the leader of the forces of the Great Shaitan on Earth has been damned by Allah to a dishonorable death. Y’aqub ibn Uzun Hassan is dead.”

A great hush swept the hall, followed by rampant whispering between the tribal chiefs.

“Calm yourselves! An enemy has fallen and Heydar, may Allah bless him in heaven, remains unavenged by our hands, but let us hear the full extent of our visitor’s news!” Akcay moved in quickly to restore order in the court.
“We must move to strike now as the tribes of the White Sheep lay weak and leaderless!” Altan, a fiery and temperamental young war chief interrupted.
“Silence! Y’aqub may be dead but who is to lead us undivided into the heat of battle? Heydar and Ali have fallen on the field and nobody commands the throne except..”
“Except?”
“I will inform the court later. Continue by the name of Allah, Savas.” “In addition, the Ottomans have responded favorably to our advances of alliance. I have the reply here.” The messenger walked to Akcay and handed him the sheets of correspondence.

To all of the points of your proposal we can find no fault. It would be a disservice to Allah and to our people if we refused a single plank of the Safavid proposal, so we will see to it that we fulfill our immediate end of the negotiation. We can exchange our gunpowder knowledge in a fashion that will benefit the Safavid in their conquest as it has benefited the Turk.

[signed] Sultan Bayezid II of the Ottoman Empire

Akcay read the reply of the Sultan to the hall.
“Who was addressed to?” Altan inquired.
“I wrote this letter and signed it with the seal of Ismail ibn Heydar.”
“ibn Heydar…”
“Yes, our Sheikh Heydar had another son who Sheikh Ali designated as his heir to me before his fall. Because of the rampant onslaught of Y’aqub, he was hidden from even our chiefs to protect him in his infancy.”

Now he is three years of age and we may bring him back into the court of Ardabil with the death of Y’aqub. He will assume command of the Qizilbash when he comes of age in the next decade. It is he, brilliant son and direct descendent of the Sufi, who will avenge his father’s name and finally destroy the hateful Aq Qoyunlu.”

“And what of our promised help to Ottomans even as we engage in our jihad against the Sheep?” Altan continued.

“The Ottomans are capable generals. They will make good use of the Qizilbash without our direct guidance.

“Very well. The Qizilbashi will continue to train, even with no threat of attack at the moment from the Aq Qoyunlu. It is my hope that the Ottoman promise of handheld gunpowder follows through soon enough.” Akcay cleared his throat.

“Now, two more items that are of note. To further augment our prowess in the arts of war, I have ordered the purchase of cannon to supplement our riders in the art of siege. The Qizilbashi are the kings of the open field, but we must take the walled cities of Tabriz and Baku if we are ever to become the masters of Azerbaijan.”

Murmurs of assent filled the hall, earning even the nod of the oft-dissatisfied Altan.

“And, Imam Alai will inform you of the latter.”
“It is benevolent of our lord Allah to see that the descendents of the great Safi al-Din have survived and carry on in the blood of our Sheikhs. Our warriors and carriers of the great jihad have sworn proudly and without shame to his name as a descendent of Allah’s prophet and honored the holy words of the Twelve Imams. We have rightfully scorned those who claim to profess reverence for the so-called “Rightly Guided” or other such blasphemies…

“But now, as darkness descends on the world, we must have tolerance in our faith. Though they may believe heresies that muddle their faith, they too bow guided by right towards Mecca in reverence of Allah. We are surrounded by the servants of Shaitan, so who are we to ask of those who fight Shaitan of minor errors in their judgment? As we seek to gain allies as Allah permits us, we should be gentle teachers and guides to those who have stumbled from the path, but do not offend in the name of Allah and lose the trust of the enemies of Shaitan. Go now, warriors of the jihad, to the cities and villages of your domain and speak to every and all, from noble to peasant, of the love that you carry in your heart for Allah and his servants. Stay your sword as he is the merciful, and earn their trust. Go now, servants of God!”

The men in the hall bowed their heads to the teacher of the faith and prayed as the night passed away.

In the Archives of the palace of the Sultan
The chronicles of Sultan Beyazid II were growing in length and complexity and sometimes the archivists themselves were confused about what was afoot in the Sultan’s mind, but the latest documents from the court were clear enough. In the north war as being waged against the remnants of the Great Horde by both Crimea and Muscovy pushing the Sultan’s reach further into the heart of the steppe lands and in compensation the generosity of the Beyazid had permitted Russian traders a small enclave in Constantinople. The northern borders seemed well secured. To the east the rising power of the Safavids was coalescing against the declining Ak Koyunlu Turkomans. In his wisdom the great Sultan was sending aid to the Sufi lords, but to what end? The recorders of history did not know. Money traveled south in unmarked leather bags carried by men who would just as soon slit your throat as talk to you and who were, on top of that, of dubious character. Though unsaid, all suspected that the gold was at the root of the unrest among the Mameluk lords. Praise be unto Allah for his wisdom and guidance. But the most interesting gossip among the scribes pertained to the secret visits of Christian emissaries to bow before the Sultan, most thought them German or perhaps Hungarian by the cut of their clothes and roughness of their speech. A small group wagered on them being Italian or French because they were well-dressed and well-mannered. After the visits subsided, the Sultan and even his harem were joyous and kind for weeks after.

Cairo & the Red Sea
Al-Ashraf Sayf al-Din Qa'it Bay Lord of the Mameluks knew his situation was precarious. His Amirs were a contentious lot of squabbling generals, each with an army of their own and apt to go after one another (or him) as much as any foe. A war might help and so it was done. Aden would fall to the Mameluk sword and give him one more link in the great chain of trade that flowed from India through Cairo and thence to Europe. And it came to pass that in late 1491 5000 men and 5 cannon assaulted Aden from the land and with treachery and deception slew the defiant defenders in the protecting forts. To save themselves and their homes the inhabitants of the city surrendered. The loss of only 750 men brighten Al-Ashraf’s day and softened the disturbing news from the north. His northern lands were in disarray as the Amirs flaunted their independence and defied his leadership. Rumors of Turkish gold persisted.

Across the Red Sea in the Ethiopian capital of Amhara the news of the fall of Aden was taken hard. Egyptian control of the vital port brought the Mameluks to close for comfort. The disappointed king rethought his military plans and then proceeded with his other plans.

“For a long time, the state of Christendom in Ethiopia had been in free-fall. Communications between the Greek and Egyptian Patriarchs had been totally cut off with the Islamic conquest of Egypt and the great Middle Eastern World. Heathens had begun flowing in within Ethiopia’s very borders! Yet now, it seemed, there was a light. Contacts had begun to be established with countries far to the north, eager to acquaint themselves with the Ethiopian King, whom they called “Prester John”. Emissaries had already been sent off to greet several new of these northern countries in their own homeland. Armies were being amassed for the reclamation of old Christian territory, and some that would be newly captured for the Lord. And now the icing on the cake: a great center of learning was being constructed, the first of its kind in this area of the world. It would fuel the nascent fires of the theological and military classes of Ethiopia. This could very well be Ethiopia’s first step into greatness. No longer would her patriarch be derided by the ecclesiastical men of the north. We would amass a great library. Progress!”

Pêro da Covilhã had arrived in Ethiopia in 1490 and had so impressed Eskender that the Emperor refused to allow him to leave. But based on Covilhã’s extensive knowledge, he sent emissaries to Spain and France bearing gifts in hopes of diplomatic ties.

West Africa
“Mahmoud Kati surveyed the land ahead, noticing that his company was getting closer to the ocean that was still off quite a ways in the distance. They had left well over a week ago but it appeared that within the next day or two they would finally reach their destination. The first leg of their journey had been following the Niger River to the southwest and now for the past fifteen days his group had turned directly west and headed towards the Atlantic. Mahmoud’s party consisted of a number of workers as well as a small contingent of soldiers. Mahmoud had told the officials the soldiers wouldn’t be needed, for they were just setting up a trading post weren’t they? The officials had insisted however, that the troops were necessary in case there was a conflict. Mahmoud sincerely hoped it would never come to that, for his own safety, and because merchants would never want to conduct business in a place where they didn’t feel safe. He sighed, and turned his thoughts instead to how nice it would be to finally get out of the blazing sun beating down on them.”

By 1494 a small fort was established on the coast in hopes of establishing contact with ships traveling along the shore. As he waited for the news of its success, Sunni Ali spent to improve the well being of his kingdom, especially in the fields of education and agriculture. Small universities were built in Timbuktu and Gao.

The Court of Ivan III
1492 had come and gone without incident; without incident if you don’t include the war against the Great Horde as an incident. Church calculations had predicted that 7000 years after creation the world would end and 1492 was the year of destruction. They would have to rethink their interpretation of scripture. In any case, Muscovy lived and prospered. The war of the western Steppe had been a brief, but bloody affair. Levies were raised and thrown into the frey with the regular army and then sent home when the fighting was done. The soldiers of the Horde were caught between the Crimean Turks moving north and Muscovy moving south. The brave among them fought well and killed many of the invaders; the weak fled and disappeared into the vast empty lands. Each side was true to its word and the land divided such that both felt satisfied.

Tales of the embassy to the Sultan and intrigues of the court.

The last of the gifts and supplies had been packed, and on the next morning the big embassy set out from Bakhchisarai to Moscow on horse, accompanied by the nukers[1] of Khan Menli Giray himself.

The big embassy was a great success by anyone's measure, for the Muscovite ambassador was received at the court of as great a sovereign as the Turkish Sultan himself, and furthermore had been heard out gratefully and agreed with, if only in word, on the matter of the traders and the evils done to them and also on the matter of the alliance - truly, this alone was a great victory even if nothing else were to come from it. But it would not have been possible without Menli Giray; and the Muscovite ambassador had talked with him both before and after they had traveled to the city of Constantine, to his complete and full satisfaction: the Muscovite hosts and the hosts of Crimea will march together against the offsprings of Akhmat.

And yet, the dyak Feodor Kuritsyn, the most trusted and well-learned of the Great Prince Ioann's ambassadors, a well-off and fairly treated man of respectable and enviable age, was unhappy and almost on the brink of despair, though none of those that accompanied him could tell. He was afraid; and it was not because the route of the homeward bound embassy was plagued with Tatars, Cossacks and other bandits. He had already heard; he already knew.

He had already been warned by an exhausted and nearly dead courier who raced to Bakhchisarai from Moscow on the command of Elena the Moldavian, that Mister Leoni, the Jew he had personally hired and brought from the city of Venice to heal Ivan the Princeling, had been executed by the command of the Great Prince; and that he had been executed because Ivan Ivanovich, the heir of the Great Prince and the fondest hope of Feodor Kuritsyn and many other like-minded people, had died - either from the disease or from the healing.

And that meant that there was no clear heir anymore, and that Sofia the Despotess was on the rise. That meant that she would now do her best to make her son Vasily the new heir, and along the way would destroy all those who had opposed her when she was weaker and would have to stand in her way now that she was stronger; and also that her allies will use this opportunity to settle their own accounts, and that Gennadiy Gonzov, the archbishop of Novgorod, will once again try and remove all those whom he called heretics.

And that meant that they would all try and destroy him: Feodor Kuritsyn. He thought that they would not try to do so explicitly; not at first. But quietly and over time, they would destroy him in the eyes of the sovereign and would remove his allies from the court, and then, and only then, savouring their victory...

Or maybe they won't wait? Maybe they will immediately attack him?

Feodor Kuritsyn was unhappy and, indeed, on the brink of despair. He was tortured by the demons of doubt: perhaps he ought to flee? He had many friends in the Phregian[2] courts; perhaps he could hide out in the German land, or in Venice?

He cast those thoughts aside with a slight but determined smile. Flight was an option best left to young and empty, pointless persons, of the kind that had often rebelled against the Great Princes in the past and fled to neighbouring sovereigns, only to die from poison or to be returned to Moscow for their execution by rulers unwilling to provoke the Great Prince Ioann, who was truly the Great and also the Terrifying.

He had no time for flight; he was hurrying to Moscow by his own decision - for his soul was free and his faith was its fortress[3], the faith in the justice of the sovereign whom he served. He would arrive at Moscow and report about the big embassy. He would also talk with Elena Stefanovna, and with the Metropolitan Zosima, who liked archbishop Gennadiy like a mouse likes a cat. Perhaps he will survive. And if not, then he had lived for long enough as it is.

The horses rode through the steppe, the sounds of their hooves and the lights of their riders' torches disturbing the quiet of the night. The dyak Feodor Kuritsyn was hurrying home.

Notes: [1] Mongol bodyguards. [2] Somewhat similar to "ferengi"; the common secular term for either the Italians or for the Europeans west of Poland and Hungary in general. [3] Paraphrased from a philosophical treatise/mystical text written by Feodor Kuritsyn.

The Great Prince ordered the servants (for all the boyars in the room were but the servants of the Great Prince, to say nothing of those beneath them) to leave the room, and gestured for the other two men that just arrived to come closer to the ivory throne.

Ioann Vasilyevich was dignified and solemn; he was bored with this occasion deep inside as with something that he had already thought about and resolved to his sufficient satisfaction, but nonetheless was grimly patient as with all other matters. Zosima the Metropolitan was visibly tired and resigned; he was very old and ill; and he was also fed up with this matter and with everything else. He too was already decided. Gennadiy, the Archbishop of Novgorod, was inscrutable, dull and haughty; but in his heart he was satisfied, yet also somewhat frustrated.

That said, the two quarreling monks were not very pleased at being in the same room, and moments ago, when they both had arrived at the same time, they were both surprised and displeased with each other's presence, and also - anxious. But a few moments was enough for them to regain their composure and to understand what was to happen.

"Wise and much-learned men, faithful servants of God - Our heart was being torn from seeing your rivalry which is so damaging the Christian Church, and therefore We have called you both here today so that you may make peace," - started the Great Prince, looking at the space between the two elderly monks.

"Truly, your words are wise, sovereign," - slowly said Zosima - "I too have come to think that the two of us should forgive our mutual offenses and work together to save the Church from its many enemies."

"The Orthodoxality of Novgorod and Orthodoxality of Moscow are the same, and it is indeed intolerable that they should quarrel, especially at such a time," - agreed Gennadiy - "The Hebrew heretics have been using our minor disagreements to gnaw away at the Church, both here and in my city. Indeed, they even spread ill rumours and say that the Metropolitan is on their side!"

"This I intend to disprove shortly, brother," - replied Zosima, who knew that the heretics were definitely not the ones spreading those rumours - "The time of patience has ran out: I shall condemn them as you have advised me and as I truly should have done long ago."

"Truly, your wisdom is commendable!" - declared Ioann, who had spent many hours over the previous month persuading Zosima to accept this compromise - "Indeed, if the Church is at last in agreement, We too feel We must help this sacred cause. Latin and Hebrew heretics seek to overthrow the Church which has been Our ally and the ally of Our forefathers, and to spread their vile and calumnious doctrines that are abhorrent in every way. Know, Gennadiy, that We will not only approve the punishment of those heretics whom you have sent ahead to us, but will also grant you a special permission to seek out and destroy the shameless heretics, be they Hebrew or Latin, wherever and how ever you see fit, with the full help of local powers, outside of the Court, on which you ought to consult with Ourselves."

The Latin heretics were a mocking joke and a trap; Gennadiy was often accused of being one himself.

"I rejoice that you have seen fit to accept my humble proposal, o great sovereign," - stated Gennadiy - "As for the Latins, I myself assure you that Veniamin and his Dominicans are not overstepping their bounds. They are ofcourse heretics and not to be trusted; they are under my constant surveillance; but nonetheless they are somewhat less heretical than the followers of Sacharia. And besides: the Latin lands had always been drowning in heresies even worse than the original one; in our land, such have been almost unheard of until this dire time, and therefore the Dominicans have more experience in combating this disease."

"We do not doubt that God himself and your wisdom had inspired you to seek their assistance," - replied Ioann - "And are glad to see that you are not blind to any transgressions they might plan."

And so they talked for a while more, and in the end Zosima complained of ill health and departed. He was strangely content. He would write an epistle against the heretics and he would publish the calendar he had made for this eighth millennium, unexpected to many but not to him and by now not to Gennadiy either. He would work, for now. But soon, he will retire in peace, and none would stop him.

When they remained alone, Gennadiy said: "Great Prince! It is good that you have persuaded Zosima to rein in his pride, and that you have allowed me to take measures against the heretics that confuse your people and the Court and lead them against the Church with their false wisdom and heathenish astrology. But you know as well as I do that they are but a few madmen and charlatans who will be forgotten no matter what I do with them within a few years. The real matter at hand is different, and the true enemies of the Church are different as well."

"I know," - replied the Great Prince laconically and smiled.

"Great Prince, allow me to bring Princess Elena the Wallachian and the dyak Feodor Kuritsyn, and their co-conspirators to task for their connivance and intrigues aimed against the Church and yourself. There is no way to resolve this but to destroy that vile band, for they are aimed at power and will stop at nothing, and will use heretics and overly ambitious boyars and if need be foreign sovereigns to climb their way to power."

"That may be so, but your conscience is not free either, Gennadiy."

"They lie who say that I have joined the Latins or intend to steal Novgorod from you; for I am no thief and no heretic, and do not believe that I have any reason to be either, unlike those others who refuse to be anything else, and yet remain under your protection."
"I will not allow you to burn my faithful servants and relatives at the stake.
Not yet.
Not before I become fully assured of their treachery."

Poland
Casimir of Poland was alert to the conditions of his neighbors. Muscovy was allied with the Turk. Kalmar was falling into revolution as Sweden tried to stand on its own. Bohemia was breaking away from Hungary. Death and change n Pomerania had opened the door to Brandenburg aggression. Even his support was waning among the factions of his nation. The answer appeared simple: prepare for war; prepare the weapons of war; prepare his generals for war.

Hungary
Janos Corvinos was not well thought of among the neighboring kings, many of his own countrymen or even his step-mother, Queen Beatrix. Self preservation was the order of the day. His scheming step mother had already been sent south to Venice where, as far as he was concerned, she could rot away the rest of her life, which he hoped was short. Guards loyal to him would keep her there. He had bought off the debt of Ladislaus of Bohemia owed to his father and granted him the title of King, for the time being. And he spent lavishly on the “Black Army of Hungary” to keep them loyal and aggressive against any who would attempt to disrupt his rule. He made it very clear that disloyalty by the nobles would be punished, brutally.

Brandenburg
Few living outside of the north Central Germany recalled the fine points of the Treaty of Prenzlau from 1448 or the Brandenburg claim contained therein on the Pomeranian throne should the line become extinct. Bogislaw XIII had eleven children with several who married into prominent families of the Empire. The deaths of three of those children created quite a stir among the local nobility. A carriage accident, a boating tragedy, and a sudden illness seemed a bit unnatural. Rumors flew as folks wondered who would be next. Bogislaw XIII who was a wise and gracious ruler saw conspiracy everywhere and especially in Brandenburg. Joachim I Nestor was insulted and promptly marched his army north to settle the matter and restore order. The 1000 troops surprised Bogislaw and most of his family at church. Discussion and abdication followed and Pomerania joined the new enlarged holding of Joachim I. that was not all that the Elector of Brandenburg accomplished in that time. He was a favored patron of the arts and education and the University of Berlin founded. He actively solicited the great cultural and artistic minds from all over Europe to come to Berlin to teach and study.

“His father's printing press in Nuremberg was amongst the most successful in Europe and Albrecht himself was just starting to gain recognition for his own skill. His woodcuts in the Nuremberg Chronicle made the publication one of the most popular in Germany with circulation almost unheard of in a time when few men could even read. Despite all this, even when young Albrecht was approached by a man sent by the Elector of Brandenburg himself, asking him to head a whole department in a new University he could not help but feel honored. He would be provided with everything he could need to jump start an enormous printing press, and would have famous colleagues from all over Europe to help him. Albrecht's life had already been looking up, but suddenly it seemed his dreams were coming true. As Albrecht gathered his supplies to get ready for his journey, he was told they had a detour to make before heading to Berlin. He would be traveling to Venice, and taking his art with him. He was to meet with and try to convince one of the most famous artists in Europe: Giovanni Bellini, to accompany him.

Drurer Self Portrait 1484

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giovanni_Bellini

Bellini's studio in Venice was like nothing Albrecht could have imagined. Beautiful works of art were everywhere, and the brilliant artist worked with colors that Albrecht had never even seen before. As Albrecht showed off some of his work, Bellini admitted to being being impressed; He even admitted that he had seen a copy of the Nuremberg Chronicle before and being amazed that Germans could produce such beautiful works of art. Bellini would accompany Albrecht to Berlin for a time, but he offered no definitive answer on how long he would stay. “

Austria
“Maximilian sat in his study in Vienna, examining a map of Hapsburg lands and claims. As Holy Roman Emperor, he was aware that this map did not quite show his full power, but it was sufficient for giving an idea of his strength, what little there was: Austria, Tyrol, Styria, Carinthia and the Burgundian Inheritance. Corvinus remained on the Hungarian throne to the East, a titan menacing Hapsburg sovereignty, holding Bohemia as well, an Elector of the Empire, where the Hapsburgs held no Electorate. Maximilian could not help but question, as gold flowed from his coffers to the Dutch, and to points East, how long he could afford to maintain complete independence for Austria. Would the Hapsburgs need to rely on the Valois or the Jagellion for their independence, or would Hapsburg wealth and ingenuity preserve them? Maximilian remained a young man, but could not help but feel old, as the entire legacy of his family weighed down on him. Time was Maximilian's enemy and his grail, a limit constraining him, and the one thing urging him on to bigger things. Time could crush Austria, or time could build a new Empire. Maximilian feared which it would be.”

His plan was simple. He would bring the recalcitrant Dutch into the Hapsburg fold with “home rule” or actually, rule that was closer to home for them. A governorship would be established in Bruges with all the trappings of government and his son, Phillip, as governor as soon as he reached his age of majority in 1496. A council of representatives of the Free cities would be set up to advise the governor on matters of taxation and economics.

"My lords, Gerben Baanders, the new Stadtholder representing the Duchy of Brabant, has come today as a representative of Maximilian of Hapsburg. He brings us news of the efforts to give us our say in rule." Gilbert Erkens, one of the dissident minor nobles in the Burgundian Inheritance, sat as he finished speaking. Erkens was known for his arrogance, having more than once caused serious friction with Maximilian and his wife Mary, prior to her death. Now, however, he was unable to gain any hold over his fellow nobles, as Maximilian had promised them some independence in matters of trade, and participation in decisions on taxation. Baanders had been sent with an agreement for these representatives to sign, guaranteeing their assistance in the matter at hand, and outlining fully the conditions of the New Government. It seemed, for the time being, to have pacified the majority of the Dutch, with only a few dissidents such as Erkens refusing to accept the treaty. Maximilian would be in the Netherlands to meet with the council throughout the winters of 1491, 1493 and 1495, and it was hoped that much progress would be made on the sticking points preventing the Dutch fully co-operating with the Hapsburgs, but that remained to be seen. “

Copenhagen
King Hans was disturbed from talking to one of the royal architects when his brother Frederick entered the room. Hans let Frederick stand and wait just long enough for the brother to show signs of impatience before leaving the architects table to walk the fortifications with his brother.

As soon as they came outside and out of hearing range of the sentries, Frederick began talking: "Brother, I fear that we might need a standing army to control the southernmost fief within our borders on Jutland - Slesvig. The unrest is visible as soon as I turn my back to the subjects down there..."

Hans nodded at his brothers' concerns. The fiefs of Slesvig and Holstein were indeed an issue to be dealt with. But not now. "I can understand your concerns, brother, but I have more important things on my hands. The Union cannot afford the expenses of maintaining a standing army in Slesvig. I have another issue that needs my attention, and your council."

Frederick murmured an agreement. He knew what came next. Ever since the Swedes refused to turn up at Hans' "Håndfæstning" in 1483, Hans had been vying to make the Swedes bow to the Danish throne once again. This Sven Sture "kingpin"-figure did only complicate this goal. Nevertheless, Hans started out:

"I am thinking of taking contact to other nations to help bring Sweden back in the pen where they belong. If we can secure the backing of stronger allies, we can formulate an ultimatum to this Sven Sture that he can either accept, or face a power far superior to that of his own kinsmen."

Frederick frowned. This was a new idea to him. Still walking the fortifications, the King and his brother discussed the idea back and forth for a while, before reaching a conclusion: A royal messenger would be sent to Russia. After having decided upon this, they pondered over more immediate precautions against the Swedish uprising. This talk led to the following royal decree:

Decree on The Recent Uprisings in Sweden
I, Hans of Denmark, hereby decree the following by my royal seal and by the power that has been vested in me by God and by the subjects under the Kalmar Union:

§1: All trade with or support of the faction of Swedish Separatists will be considered an insult to the Crown and may imply restrictions on passage through waters under the Kalmar Union as well as restrictions on merchants' access and trade opportunities in lands under the Kalmar Union.

§2: Similarly, allowing vessels, merchants, forces of the Swedish Separatists will be considered an insult to the Crown and may imply the same restrictions as mentioned above (§1). This also applies for diplomatic relations with the court of Sven Sture, allowing passage for or hiding members of, the court of Sven Sture.

§3: Soldiers and Mercenaries that seek to serve under the rebel Sven Sture are considered peace less and may be killed without punishment within the lands of the Kalmar Union.

§4: This decree will be in effect from the Year of 1491 and until the death of either Sven Sture, or until the King of the Kalmar Union, currently Hans of Denmark, decides to end it.

Signed and Sealed,
Hans of Denmark,
King of the Kalmar Union and under God.

Italy
Italy had seen war, too much war and the intrigues that led to war, and so when five years of peace came all were grateful. The King of Naples kept his crown and perhaps his head too. The Pope embraced him and called him “son” and allowed him back among the faithful. The king of France called him ‘brother” and promised not to invade. He had paid dearly for his throne and was now deep in debt, but he was alive and he was king.

For Agostino Adorno of Genoa, the struggles were internal. Sometimes it seemed that the nation was at war with itself as factions feuded and struggled for power and while he couldn’t prove it or even point the finger at any nation in particular, Adorno was sure outsiders were influencing the affairs of Genoa and spreading corruption and dissent. In an attempt to “disarm” those working against him, he began a program of publically recognizing those nobles and public leaders who worked for the good of the people and stability of the state. Gold and proclamations accompanied such recognition.

In Milan war was expected and prepared for. It never came, much to the disappointment of important people. But Ludovico Sforza was quite a bit richer now and that improved his disposition immensely.

Rome
It was a busy time for Innocent VIII. He publically and officially supported Janos Corvinos as king of Hungary in spite of his bastardy. He annulled the marriage of between the Duc d’Orleans and Jeanne de France much to the gratitude of Charles, King of France. Some say he was bought. Money had long been a concern of the Pope’s and simony and payment for indulgences had become routine and commonplace as ways to fill the church coffers. And few could ignore that he accepted 40,000 ducats from the Sultan of the Turks to detain the Sultan’s brother in Rome indefinitely. The mistresses, the children, the parties and hunts, they were all part of being Pope and he loved it so. Then at sixty he tumbled from his horse…

Where am I?
The Palace, obviously. But there were some things that weren't right. It was too hot for winter, for example. And there was a different air in the Palace. Missing was the laughter of courtiers, the wild caprices of palace life. Silence. And suddenly, the personal apartments. Everyone was there, Lorenzo Cibo, Antonio Pallavicini, Giovanni Battista... And Lorenzo had the silver hammer. He knocked the unseen figure on the head once, "Giovanni!". Another time, "Giovanni!"
"Wait! Who is it that has just died?"
The Chamberlain of the Cardinals turned around and looked Innocentus straight in the eye, "Why, it is the Pope. His dying is the culmination of the Church's sins." With that, Lorenzo Cibo turned around and raised his hammer for the third time.

"Your Holiness! Your Holiness!" Innocentus opened his eyes with a start and saw the open sky. The neigh of a horse could be heard as he started up, he was lying on the ground, on his back. "Your Holiness, you took a great fall there and went out for a while. Are you alright?"

Where do I start?
It was three weeks since his fall, and while his body recovered from the pain, the dream played clearly in his mind. As the latest generation of secular Popes, Innocentus believed he was beyond all spirituality but this dream awakened something in him. He picked up his pen and wrote on the sheet:

My dear friend,
Surely what I saw was a sign from God? Surely there was something he was telling me? I do not know how to interpret the dream, and I daren't say anything to anyone in the Palace. Do come back to Rome, for I sorely seek your advice. Yours most tru-

"Your Holiness! Your Holiness!" The pageboy came in with a large book of accounts. Usually, Innocentus would have told him to turn around but today he didn't feel like it. "Just put it on the desk, boy, and leave me." The boy looked as surprised as surprised could get - because for three years he had been the Pope's pageboy, in many more ways than one. He quietly left the apartment wondering why today was different from all those other days. Innocentus sighed and looked through the ledgers and their figures. Then suddenly, it became clear to him. He picked his pen up and wrote on another sheet:
My dear friend,
I have had my Eureka moment. God wants me to bring the Church back to what it was before! It may sound completely ridiculous, but the Papacy depends on providing the spiritual in exchange for the temporal. Our good lives are paid for by prayer and solemnness. This Church will be revived and I will see to it that change happens. Like Paul on the Road to Damascus, I was blind but now I could see. Do return to Rome now, for we have much work to do.

The assembled Council of Bishops and other clerics talked amongst themselves. The agenda of the Fifth Lateran Council had come as a surprise to many, particularly from a Pope who was once notorious for his secular ways. Spiritual rejuvenation? Catechism? Addressing corruption? Something had changed in Pope Innocentus VIII - and who knew where it would go?

Lateran V - Ecumenical Council of Reform 1493
The agenda of the Fifth Lateran Ecumenical Council:
1. Re-acknowledging the spiritual purpose of the Supreme Pontiff as well as Papal Superiority over the Christian Church
2. Discussing, summarizing and codifying Church doctrine in the form of a Catechism
3. Discussing, and ruling on the potential usage of the vernacular in providing the Liturgy of the Word (namely, priests preaching in the vernacular based on translations from the Latin)
4. Reevaluating the requirements and prerequisites to be ordained into the clergy, for Deacons, Priests and Bishops - with a particular emphasis on the necessity of the knowledge of Latin by Priests and Bishops
5. Rectifying corruption within and standardizing collection practices for Church finances outside the Papal States.
6. Addressing the abuses of indulgences, particularly the conduct of quaestores ("pardoners") and discussing methods of enforcing the prevention of such abuses

The Council was not subdued. Few accepted the Pope’s epiphany as anything more than a sham, a way to squeeze more money into the coffers of the Pope. Too many comfortable practices would be put in jeopardy if the full agenda was brought forward and addressed. Too much power would be lost and none gained. Such changes would be the undoing of their lives. And they told him so. Within three weeks the council had collapsed and the church officials departed for home. The Pope and a handful of those who saw strength in his revelation and piety in his changed life stayed and talked deeply about the Church, its future and what they could do to change what had gone before.

England
Money was on the mind of the English king. He needed more of it and John Morton, Henry’s Lord Chancellor, was just the man to get it. Over dinner one night he created Morton’s Fork, a tax policy for all time:

"If the subject is seen to live frugally, tell him because he is clearly a money saver of great ability he can afford to give generously to the King. If, however, the subject lives a life of great extravagance, tell him he, too, can afford to give largely, the proof of his opulence being evident in his expenditure."

Here Comes the Tax Man
It would have been fitting if it had occurred on a dark and stormy night. Preferably some lightning would have sizzled across the sky and thunder would have rolled around like pigs in mud. The owl would have screamed and the crickets would have cried. But no, this day was pleasant. Birds were flying, the sun was shining, grass was growing, but the tax man was coming—the equivalent of a modern-day audit. Phillip Sittow woke up, completely unsuspecting, just as Lord Chancellor John Morton liked. After a pleasant morning lazing about, he thought he'd ride into town. Suddenly, a herald:

"My Lord Phillip, Sir Edmund Dudley (tax collector for Morton) has come seeking an audience with you." Quickly, thoughts ran through his head: was he really due that early? Well, he supposed so. Was the hiding of valuables accomplished? Yes, mostly. Well, if he delayed the Councillor’s man, there would be trouble later. He might even have to go to the Star Chamber. Better to get it over with.

When Dudley entered the manor, Phillip smiled nervously. "Very sparse surroundings," the taxman remarked idly.

"Ah yes, times are hard, but I give what I can to the king, long live the king." Was it going to work? The taxman thought, turned a bit, walked through the manor casually.

"Well, you clearly have been living frugally. You can therefore afford to give generously to the king." He scribbled down a sum, one that was far too large, and gave it to Phillip.

"The king appreciates your contribution to the realm." And he left, just like that.

Morton was unpopular, but he did refill the King’s coffers and having turned the money issues around for now, Henry focused on his enemies with a vengeance. Peace with France was a boon and a bulwark against outside interference as he hunted down and eliminated those who opposed his rule. His Star Chamber of judges enabled him to skip traditional justice in dealing with troublemakers; his appointed Justices of the Peace gave him reach into every shire in England and no enemy of the king was safe from detection and punishment. He even stretched his hand into Ireland’s Pale to enforce his rule.

Scotland
James IV was pleased with the gifts sent by Charles of France and with Henry of England busy with his own affairs, he felt free to act without retribution from nosy neighbors. John McDonald, Lord of the Isles, was forcibly removed from his home and secured in the Scottish lowlands to live out his days far from the political intrigues of the clans and lords of the north. Next, he declared education an important part of Scottish life and funded it for those who would administer his bureaucracy. Having heard what the Elector of Brandenburg had done, in 1495 he founded a new college in Aberdeen called St. Mary’s.

Portugal
In the spring of 1491 Bartolomeu Dias sailed from Lisbon to the Cape Verde islands. It was from there that he would chart a course west. On June 22 his two ships weighed anchors and departed for what he hoped were the Spice Islands of Asia.

“Bartolomeu Dias couldn't have been any happier: he was finally doing what he had dreamt about so much! Travelling towards the west, finding a new, shorter route towards the Indies, had been something he had wanted to do for a long time. After so many years, the Portuguese king had been convinced (despite the advice of several people) to fund an expedition. The king had made it clear that any lands found would be part of the Crown, as well as the 50% of the benefits earned from the products brought, but for Dias it was more than enough, for he wanted to be known as the man that gave Portugal all of their wealth in the future.”

After 22 days at sea, first light brought the first hint of a horizon that was more than endless ocean. By noon landfall was assured as a dark strip of land stretched continuously from the northwest to the southeast. As darkness approached the two ships hove to and anchored for the night afraid to venture too close in the falling darkness. The voyage had been shorter than expected. In fact, it had been shorter than his voyage south along the coast of Africa. Could the Indies have been that close all this time? Tomorrow would tell.

Forest, not unlike that of West Africa came down to the shore. In some places wide sandy beaches stretched invitingly and in others the waves lapped the shore directly. Dias chose a wide beach with a stream flowing forcefully as the place they would land. The fresh water was the best they’d had since leaving the Cape Verdes and after they were sure they were alone, most of the crews came ashore. The forest was dense and wet and difficult to penetrate so little effort was made to go inland. Other than birds and monkeys there was no sign of life and certainly no men appeared. Hunting proved difficult and fruitless so after refilling the water casks the pulled anchor and sailed south looking for something more.

For 20 more days Dias sailed slowly along the coast in search of either habitable land or people or anything that would please King Joao. After 10, they came to great bay fronted by islands and it was there that they saw their natives of this endless shore. They were a dozen or so fishing among the rocks in canoes of tree trucks and they fled as soon as the two ships were spotted. The high hills on the horizon told Dias that the bay was not a passage so they anchored to see if curiosity would bring the natives back. The great rainforests of further north had lessened to more open tropical savannah that lined the coast. Before dawn the following day a small party went ashore to be there if the natives returned and they did. When the caught sight of the Portuguese the natives again fled in their canoes and disappeared down the shoreline of the great bay. One canoe had been abandoned in their haste. They were a primitive people who wore no clothes and their weapons were of wood with stone tips. They were brown skinned, not black like the Africans and painted their bodies as civilized people donned different garments to set themselves apart from one another. The explorers saw no smoke or other signs of a village or town. The next ten days brought little change, just more sailing to the southwest. Then Dias called it quits and they turned about to retrace their course. Fish and fresh water were plentiful and sustained them in the disappointment and on a few of their forays into the dense forest fruit was found, birds or strange animals killed and broke the monotony of their diet. A cairn on the beach marked their original landfall and it was noted in the ship’s log as they passed it going northeast. Few islands broke the never ending stretches of sand and jungle. Numerous streams and small rivers flowed from distant forest covered hills into the ocean and from time to time a few of the primitives would show themselves and stare at the ships as they passed. Every attempt to make contact failed. Each day Dias hoped for an end to the wet, hot green of the forest and the steady diet of fish and moldy bread.

After a thousand miles he got it. Great clouds began piling up in the east as storms rolled in frequently forcing the two ships to scurry for shelter along some lee shore. After a week of it, all were ready to sail home, so with the first break in the storms Dias ordered a new course north by north east where he hoped to find the Azores and an easy sail to Portugal. Eight weeks later a beaten and disappointed crew dropped anchor in the Azores where they refurbished their ships and spirit before sailing to Lisbon. He had little to report to the king. He found less than he found in Africa; not even any gold or slaves. The king was disappointed. Twice now his plans for sailing to Asia had failed.

Winter 1491
Bartolomeu Dias was disillusioned. From what the cartographers had told him, the lands they had found didn't match up with the charts the Venetians had sold them several years ago. Although there might be a chance that, simply, the Venetians didn't know about these lands, it was more probable that they were something different from the Indies. In fact, it made more sense for this not to be Asia; many of the cartographers had proved to him that the distance of the Spice Islands going towards the west was far longer. He supposed that he could be glad that this land was found, or else everyone would have died.

For three years the king assigned Dias to teach at the new Navigator’s school he had founded. Word of Columbus’ voyage was announced in 1492 and of his failure to find the riches of the Indies. Dias was anxious to see maps of the Italian’s voyage to compare with his own.

Spain
Siege of Grenada:
Muhammad XII's refusal to surrender his lands to the crown of Christ was the final act of resistance from the Islamic occupiers of God's own land. True to their word, Ferdinand and Isabella set out for conquest, to cleanse the lands of heresy and filth. By the sword of all those men who's faiths are unmatchable by the Muslim-kind that reside in the lands of their lord. Thousands strong they march, to siege and demount Muhammad from his throne, zealous rage and careful propaganda drew out the volunteers and the army quickly grew. Blessed by priests, the cannons fire, ripping through stone buildings, or anything in the way. The cavalry carry with them the sign of Christ, metallic crosses and swords engraved with images of the saints. Behind his men, Muhammad cowers, the almighty power of the true faith overwhelms him, and in his weakest moment God showed his mercy. Surrendering his crown, his lands and rights, Muhammad came under the command of the Catholic monarchs, whom showed great pity and mercy. God rules all men, so may it be seen that Muhammad is no exception, in his defeat the lord gave him a miracle, freedom to remove himself from Spain with his life. And the men of Spain chant an old battle cry, “Deus Vult”, and a truer statement cannot be made, Spain is ascending, God wills it.

It was a bloody and desperate fight and costly to the conquering Spaniards, but Granada fell and all Christendom celebrated for the victory of God over his enemies.

The Alhambra Decree:
Spain pronounces itself the most Catholic Kingdom and allows the church to expel all non-Christians, and the conversion of all non-Christians whom wish to remain within the kingdom of Spain. This is an effort to make the Spanish monarchy the closest followers of God, and the upholders of all Christian law.

Exploration in 1492
After the success of Portugal’s voyages west, Christopher Columbus was granted permission to explore the western ocean in search of a sea route to the Indies.

Captain’s Log
Date: May 12th in the year of our Lord 1492.

After 35 days at sea since departing the Canary Isles, at two hours after midnight land was sighted at a distance of two leagues. A wide white sand beach glowed like paradise in the moonlight and stretched without gap as far as we could see north and south. Our three ships hove to until morning and after giving thanks to Lord Jesus, I took a small party ashore. My two captains, Rodrigo Escovedo, secretary of the whole fleet, and Rodrigo Sanchez of Segovia, and said that they should bear faithful testimony that I, in presence of all, had taken, possession of the said land for the king and for the queen.

From the beach we could see, at some distance, tall dunes covered in grasses, and beyond those great trees that stood taller than our masts by twice, and just as straight. Long needles crowned their glory. Two hundred paces took our small party of 14 to the top of the dunes so that we could gage the nature of the woodland beyond. The pine trees towered above us and the cool shade of them beckoned us from the already hot morning made hotter by our armor. Presently many inhabitants of the island assembled, and I said that we might form great friendship, for I knew that they were a people who could be more easily freed and converted to our holy faith by love than by force, gave to some of them red caps, and glass beads to put round their necks, and many other things of little value, which gave them great pleasure, and made them so much our friends that it was a marvel to see. They afterward came to the ship's boats where we were, swimming and bringing us fruit, small birds and feathers, darts, and many other things; and we exchanged them for other things that we gave them, such as glass beads and small bells. They took all, and gave what they had with good will.

It appeared to me to be a race of people very poor in everything. They go as naked as when their mothers bore them, and so do the women, although I did not see more than one young girl. All I saw were youths, none more than thirty years of age. They are very well made, with very handsome bodies, and very good countenances. Their hair is short and coarse, almost like the hairs of a horse's tail. They wear the hairs brought down to the eyebrows, except a few locks behind, which they wear long and never cut. They paint themselves black, and they are the color of the Canarians, neither black nor white. Some paint themselves white, others red, and others of what color they find. Some paint their faces, others the whole body, some only round the eyes, others only on the nose. They neither carry nor know anything of arms, for I showed them swords, and they took them by the blade and cut themselves through ignorance. They have no iron, their darts being wands without iron, some of them having a fish's tooth at the end, and others being pointed in various ways. They are all of fair stature and size, with good faces, and well made. They should be good servants and intelligent, for I observed that they quickly took in what was said to them, and I believe that they would easily be made Christians, as it appeared to me that they had no religion. I, our Lord being pleased, will take hence, at the time of my departure six natives for your Highnesses that they may learn to speak. They showed us a spring and small lake not far into the woods and we re-provisioned our casks and refreshed ourselves after so long at sea.

In the following days, we sailed north along the coast from the land of the Waccamaw, for that is what they called their land. For a 115 leagues we sailed (1 Spanish league = 2.6 miles) north along the intermittent beach and low coastal shores. From the land of the Waccamaw we entered that of the Pamahsawuh, Nottoway and Powahatan and many more too numerous to name. And when we rounded a great cape into a broad bay fed from a river larger than any found in Spain, we lingered. The cape we named Ferdinand for our lord and sovereign and the river, Isabella for the unending generosity of our Queen. The bay was rich in fish and oysters and the peoples here known as Anacostank and Patuxent amongst themselves were friendly and readily accepted our gifts. We repaired our ships and visited their villages. The endless forest of giant trees was of wide variety and stretched west and north beyond what we could see. We feasted on deer and fish and tasted many plants that made us wonder what ever possessed these people to ever eat them. They had no metal or woven cloth and lived in hovels of bark and sticks. Their weapons were no match for ours and we were careful to reclaim any which they handled.

Repaired and renewed in spirit we sailed north once again for 100 leagues until we crossed the latitude of Lisbon and then turned east for Spain. The six we had chosen to present to your majesties, alas, took sick and died during the return voyage, but we preserved such artifacts that might prove of interest to you and the court.

France
Charles was bold in his pronouncements:
-We agree to protect the territorial integrity of Duchy of Savoy
-We confirm our historic alliance with Scotland
-We pardon the Duke of Orleans and have him married to Anne of Brittany
-We agree to crown Ferdinand King of Naples (by proxy) and take for ourselves the title “Emperor of France, Brittany, Burgundy, Naples, and All Those Lands Which We Hold By Right”
-We make peace with our brother Henry of England
-We accept the titles “Emperor of Constantinople, Trebizond, and Serbia” from Andreas Palaiologo

Letter from Florimond Robertet to Father Pierre of Fresne, Priest

You will forgive me, I know, dearest Father, for not writing to you sooner. For no doubt you have heard of the great happenings in Paris, on account of which I have been exceedingly busy, so that even if I were one of the Centimani, I would not have enough hands to do all the work. Such are the events that I was a part of, that you will forgive me if I speak of them only briefly, knowing that the fame of such events has already spread throughout Christendom, so that I suppose that even the deaf have heard of it.

Such is the majesty and splendor of our own King that even the Mohammedans had heard of his glory and had sent, as a sign of their friendship, the head of the Holy Lance, which had been in their possession since the city of Constantinople had fallen to them. But the King debated within himself, whether the Lance was truly the Holy Lance, or not. For he knew that there existed other lances claiming to be the one which pierced Christ’s side, one in Nuremberg and one in his own chapel, and one in Constantinople, where many living witnesses had seen it before the Turks captured the city. So too did some close to the King’s heart say that the Sultan, as a Mohammedan, may have sent a false lance head in order to fool the pious and so hold them in derision.

It was then decided that Crown Cardinal d’Espinay along with some notable clergymen, and myself, who on account of my knowledge of Greek would act as an interpreter if it was needed between the Cardinal and the Turks, would go to Marseilles, where the Turks would bring the relic. Along with us we took an outline of the piece of the lance at the royal chapel. When we arrived, we discovered that the lance the Turks brought was missing its tip, and when we compared it to the outline of our own lance, we found that they fit exactly, showing that they had once been one. Immediately, we knew for a fact that this was in truth the Holy Lance, of which previously we had held but a piece and we began making preparations to take it to the King with all due ceremony.

We finally set out for Paris with an escort of nine hundred knights, and many more prelates and priests, and an innumerable host of men, women, and children following us, as if we were Moses with all the hosts of Israel following us. At night, usually we were forced to conduct Mass outside, in a large field, for the crowd clamored to be shown the spear that pierced our Savior’s side.

One day I expressed my marvel at the size of the crowds to one of the knights who accompanied us. And he told me a story, which he had heard from his squire. In Marseilles, when we left the city, there happened to be a blind beggar by the gates. And as we passed with the relic, he saw, so it is claimed, a bright light, in the shape of a lance. And from it flowed both blood and water. And immediately, his eyes were open and he was able to see. And the report of the miracle spread abroad, and many gathered together, either because they wished for a miracle themselves, or hoping to see one with their own eyes.

Now whether this story is true or not, I know not. But it does not surprise me, if it is true. For is it not reported that Saint Longinus himself was blind? And when he smote the side of Christ, blood ran down that holy lance, so that some of the most precious blood of our Savior stained his hands. And when Saint Longinus touched his eyes, as happened by chance, his eyes were immediately opened, and he could see. Therefore he became a Christian, from that day until his martyrdom.

In this manner, we arrived at Paris. And when we had arrived, we found that we could not enter the city! For such a throng greeted us that not even a mouse could move between them. And all manner of knights and ladies, noblemen and women, priests and laity, and all the guilds of France came out. And there arose a dispute among them, for each guild wished to lead the processions, and each nobleman likewise, and so also the priests. And this continued until the Cardinal commanded them to proceed or withdraw under penalty of excommunication. And so we started; the guilds leading, and then the priests, and the cardinal holding the relic, and after him all the nobility, according to their rank. And along the route were banners and flowers, and all manner of decorations and the people knelt down as the Lance passed in reverence.

And so we arrived outside of the palace, where the King greeted us. And he reverenced the relic, and kissed it. And the Cardinal held the relic up before the people and gave a benediction. Then the Lance was taken to Sainte-Chapelle, where the rest of the Holy Lance rested, along with a piece of the True Cross, Christ’s crown of thorns, and the Image of Edessa, and many other relics.

This is the account of the arrival in Paris of the Holy Lance, which pierced the side of Christ. I saw these things with my own eyes. I pray that you will be able to come to Paris one day, and if so, I will beseech the King to allow us to visit his chapel, that you may glimpse with your own eyes such a precious relic. Until that day I shall keep you in my prayers and hope you do the same to me. Farewell.

At the fall of Granada and Ferdinand & Isabella’s conquest of all Spain, they issued the Alhambra Decree expelling all non Catholics from their lands. The Moors fled to Africa and the Jews either went into hiding or turned to France whose king welcomed all those who brought knowledge and wisdom under his wing.

A letter from Florimond Robertet to Father Pierre of Fresne, Priest

I have received a painful and sad piece of news, death Father, and one which hurts me deeply. For the contents of your letter to me could not be read but with many tears, so many that the oceans themselves could not contain them. For I had heard that a mutual acquaintance of ours had written to you many things, attempting to sway you against the King. For he wished to stir up trouble against the King amongst the church, and, like Callistratus speaking nonsense to the sensible, said that the King had converted to Judaism and other such fables that not even children believe. But I suppose that these lies have their root in the King’s actions, which I confess that even I, the most loyal of his servants, questioned. For when his royal brother, the King of Spain expelled the Jews from that land, their happened to be one among them by the name of Abraham Zacuto, one whose knowledge of the heavens was like one of the Chaldeans. And the King invited him to France, for wherever there is a manner of letters in Christendom, the King desires him in his court. And when he had arrived in Paris, the King was so taken with his knowledge and his speech, that he made him a Royal Astronomer, and gave him a stipend and allowed him to settle in Paris, both him and some of his countrymen.

Now for this reason, some men, seeing the favor the King bestowed upon a Jew, complained to him, that it was beneath a Christian King to do such a thing. But the King replied with many fine words, asking them whether if Virgil stood before them whether they would give him patronage, though he was a pagan, or whether Plato, or Aristotle, or any of the Greeks or Latins who were not Christians but pagans. At these words they dared not say anything, for they knew not only did the King have many works from the best of the pagans, but also many churchmen, whose conduct was beyond reproof, esteemed these works greatly. For as the great Doctor of the Church, Augustine said, “just as the children of Israel, after being captives in Egypt, were instructed to despoil the Egyptians of their gold and silver, so too should Christians take what is best and most useful from the writings and words of the pagans.” So you see, dear Father that far from being a Jew or a Lover of Jew, His Majesty is a faithful son of the Church, who is only doing what she commands all the faithful to do.

I have written these things to you, dearest Father, knowing that you are a righteous man and will no longer allow such slander to be spoken before you. Give my greeting to all those in Fresne who are our mutual friends. I will give your greeting to all those in Paris who you know.

Tenochtitlan

The noble warrior general Zlantopec led his share of the warriors to attack from the East and as the waited he asked the priests to bless his soldiers in the name of the great Tezcatlipoca that the warriors would fight as if they were ten! The glorious war loomed ahead and he, Zlantopec, would rise in status as he led the victorious Aztec warriors.

Zlantopec watched as the priests led forward slaves who walked proudly as they were chosen to be a gift to the gods to bless this campaign. The priests began to speak their prayers.

"Oh great and powerful Tezcatlipoca see the offering we make to you of ten strong slaves!" some of the priests brought the first sacrifice forward to the high priest and held his arms tightly as he knelt before the high priest. "We give their life's blood to you powerful Tezcatlipoca!" A cheer went up among the warriors as the high priest carved the sacrifice's heart from his chest and held it over the bonfire for a moment before tossing it into the flames. "Give our warriors the ferocity of the jaguar and the speed of the eagle in this coming war!" another sacrifice was made.

By the end of the ceremony the Aztec warriors were in the blood frenzy and ready to crush the weak Texcoco people so they would know who their masters really were. Zlantopec smiled as he led the first of many successful attacks before the collapse of the Texcoco. The stars spoke of the rise of the great Aztec empire.

Pirate News
Nicholas Verner was worried about the increase in pirate activity in the western Mediterranean. Spain and Genoa seemed to be the primary targets. His reports showed over 1,700 in lost tax revenue, but worse was the loss of wealth to merchants like himself.

In Asia over 2000 gold was lost to the Wokou from the Chinese, but several of the pirate ships were captured by the Ryukyu.
Note: Losses to pirates shows up as negative other income in the stats. Taxes/Tribute/Plunder: 21521/2500/0/-2560

Bank News
--The house of Lee has opened a new office in San Marino, Italy and is proud to offer the services of 2,000 Dutch Musketeers. Price upon request.

--House of Zilberschlag has opened an office in Rome to serve its Italian clients.

In the future, any bank announcements you wish to make may be included with your orders using words you prefer, or they may be posted in the game thread. More detailed financial information will show up in your stats.

Update 1: 1495

Attachments

• Posted Map update 1 cloaked.png
    Posted Map update 1 cloaked.png
    70.4 KB · Views: 384
The first maps of the new world have worked their way through the world, but alas are somewhat incomplete. More accurate ones will soon be sent to Spain & Portugal. Over time, as trips become more frequent, the game map will show a more accurate placement.

Attachments

• Public Dias 1.png
    Public Dias 1.png
    2.6 KB · Views: 135
  • Public Columbus 1492 png.png
    Public Columbus 1492 png.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 185
To: Pope Innocent VIII

"Dearest Father,

It is with great pleasure that We bring you news of Our most recent project:
We have sent for stonemasons and artisans to begin construction of a new church in the city of Copenhagen. We humbly request the permission to this project, and to dedicate the church to Saint Eric the Holy, the old king of Sweden who was brutally murdered centuries ago, and about whom history tells us that where his decapitated head landed by the hand of the assassilant, a spring of the purest water broke free.

If everything works out in best of order, the new church dedicated to Saint Eric the Holy will stand completed exactly three years from now. We will of course inform You of any eventual delay.

Your loyal subject in The Faith,
King Hans of the Kalmar Union and under God."

To King Hans of the Kalmar Union
From His Holiness Il Papa Innocentus VIII

My dear son,

Hearing of your dedication to the one True Church pleases my heart greatly. The more buildings are constructed the the greater glory of the Almighty, the better things will be.
This new church in Copenhagen, would it be a replacement for the current cathedral where the Bishop of Copenhagen sits - or would it be another church altogether? My only worry is that such a glorious church as this will compete with the bishop's seat in Copenhagen and will confuse the flock as to which is the cathedral.

I remain,

His Holiness Il Papa Innocentus VIII

To Pope Innocent VIII
From Ludovico Sforza of Milan, your most humble serveant.

We were grieved to hear the terrible news of your fall, we hope and pray for a rapid recovery. As a gift to our loving Lord and his Church, we have sent a caravan filled with 1,000 gold coins to Rome. We hope the Lord continues to look kindly upon our endeavors.

To His Holiness, Pope Innocent VIII
From Agostino Adorno of Genoa, your most humble serveant

Dear father,

I feel sorry for you, yet feel joy that you have seen a vision from heaven and have revived.
I have sent for 1000 pieces of gold to you to honor your name and the name of our lord. We hope that the Lord will continue to look kindly and with mercy upon our works to spread his name.

I have noted, dear father, of many unaligned Italian states. They work for no lord and are often molested by bandits and robbers. So many poor, small towns that can only aford a small church. I ask you blessing to annex some of the villages and help them work not only to survive but for the greater good. With the routes secured, a pilgrim can walk without fear from bandits from London to Rome.

To Ashikaga Yoshizumi

For too long has the Empire of the Great Ming tolerated your insults and disrespect for our word. Time and time again you have failed to take action against the wokou. Time and time again the Son of Heaven in his glorious and righteous benevolence has forgiven you who are wretched and unworthy of being spared a single second of his thought.

Now we find ourselves in a familiar situation the wokou have attacked yet again. Yet again have you failed to take any action to restrain these barbarian sea scum who arise from the dredges of your islands. The time has long passed when we would tolerate such an affront. You have spat in the face of the Son of Heaven himself. You have laid personal insult upon the Hongzhi Emperor.

This will no longer be tolerated. Effective forthwith we are issuing the following Imperial Decree enclosed within this document.

Imperial Decree

The port of Ningpo is here by closed to all Japanese tribute missions. All Japanese ships in harbor are to be seized by order of the Son of Heaven along with their cargo. All Japanese sailors and merchants are expelled immediately from the Middle Kingdom and their passports revoked. No further tribute from Japan will be allowed.

Furthermore our vassals of Korea, Rykyu, Annam, Ayyuthya and Cambdia are forbidden to engage in trade with Japan. Any Japanese vessel that attempts to enter our port or the port of any of our vassals will be destroyed. All Japanese persons engaging in trade with our vassals will be expelled from their lands. Your title as Shogun is revoked by the Son of Heaven. You are a rebel ruler, a barbarian lord. You have no authority, and you rule without consent of the Middle Kingdom.

This decree is in effect until you Ashikaga Yoshizumi personally appear before the court of the Emperor in Peking. You will kow tow before him and humble yourself in his presence and apologize for your insult profusely. You will take immediate and deceive action against the wokou. If you meet these conditions the decree shall be lifted.

All direct communication with Japan is terminated following this message. Should you wish to contact us do so through our vassal in Korea or Ryukyu. The Middle Kingdom will not be sullied by your vile words and placating lies any longer.

Signed,
Chancellor Kao Fan of the Secretariat of the Empire of the Great Ming
Loyal Servant of the Son of Heaven

To: Spain

We would like to know if you might be interested in an alliance between our two countries for the betterment of Christianity in the world. Send me a message through our ambassador. (PM me).

To: Albert of Bavaria

Do not despair, child of God, and fear not the embrace of darkness that envelops you. Why stand in the light that blinds when it is in the mothering comfort of darkness that the servants of God may accomplish the greatest of deeds? Do not flee from the kiss of the shadow, for it comes to help you by if you heed to his plan and not futilely battle it with the destructive torches of fiery light.

Assuredly you are not of the forsaken, and while God fosters his many children, sometime even the most favored may slip from His eye when the darkness comes to do his share of nurturing.

If you cannot stand the grasp of darkness, remember, it is always darkest before the glow of dawn.

The Raven

To: Ludovico Sforza of Milan

Once, there was a great Sultan, who ruled over a gigantic domain and lorded over much of the wealth of Africa. As he loved God, and cherished him over all the world, he embraced the beauty of charity to honor him that is a great practice in all of the faiths that honor the patriarch Abraham. But the great Sultan, although wise in the ideas of state and God, was nevertheless deficient in his judgment of people before the eyes of God. The Sultan’s charity found its way to unseemly men, who had professed to him that they truly knew God when they knew only lies and deceived him with their blasphemy.

The Sultan had to beg after his great voyage of charity in order to return home. You would do wise to learn from the Sultan and not step closely in his path.

The Raven

Those who rise to great heights built upon strands of fools are destined for great falls. All glory is fleeting.

The Raven

Dear Father,

First of all, Our dearest apologies for not explaining the entirety of the project. The church in question will indeed be a new church and not interfere with the bishop seat of Copenhagen. It is merely to provide another place for the prayers of the faithful and to strengthen the Faith in these lands, so far north of the Holy Seat of Yourself. We hope that we have not confused Your Holiness. We take it that You do not have any protests against dedicating this church to Saint Eric the Holy, then. If this is not the case, We humbly ask of You to send word to Us, and We would be honored if His Holiness Yourself would pick out a patron saint to bless the church and watch over the faithful.

We have also heard of the tragic accident that has happened to Your Holiness, and We pray that it has no grave consequences to Your Person.

Your Son in Faith,
Hans of Denmark

To: The Lords of Europe

A little bird has informed us that a sage is traveling across Europe claiming to dispense knowledge. He has been described as Azerbaijani in appearance and build.

The Safaviyeh know of no such man who claims himself to be one of the kuzgun. We advise the lords of Europe to ignore his advice. No knowledge is free, so heed the words of this claimed sage at your own cost.

Savas al-Ardabil
Loyal Servant of the Safaviyeh

To: Sven Sture

Sven Sture,

We send this envoy to avoid further disputes among The Union. Know that We have the loyalty of the Norwegian Nobles to your north, and the Danish court here, to your west. We have also tied bonds with the Rus, and they are ready to assist Us, should you be as unwise as to take the wrong action.

Thus, We present you with the following ultimatum:
If you surrender your crown to Us, King Hans of Denmark, and accept the coronation of Our first son, Christian, as earl of Sweden, We shall avoid further reprisals, your court and life shall be spared, as well as the lives of those who have sworn fealty to your crown, as they will then have sworn fealty to Our crown.

If you choose to act otherwise, We will see no alternative to subjugating your court and followers. The armies of Denmark, Norway and Russia will in unition march on your court.
You will not be spared and neither will any nobles in your court. Furthermore, the population of all Swedish Fiefs where resistance is met will be decimated.

The fate of yourself and your people lie with this choice, so choose wisely.

King Hans of the Kalmar Union.

To: Sophia, Grand Duchess of Moscow

We greet you, Most Excellent Lady, in the name of your brother, Andreas, who resides close to our own heart. For truly, though he spent but a short time in Paris, at our side, we recognized him as one who shared our own soul. And night and day he spoke nothing but of you to us and the splendors of your court. So within us burned a desire to speak with you, for whoever is good and wise and great we desire to know, so that perhaps we too may be known as such. For truly it is said, “A man’s friends show a man’s soul.”

But it is not only you we wish to speak with, but your most noble husband as well. For your brother spoke many fine words about him, so that we suppose he must have sprung from Odysseus’ line so like him is he in intelligence and diplomacy. Speak with him, we pray, on our behalf, with many flattering words, for we would call ourselves most blessed in Christendom if he would call us his brother.

All those who love your brother in France send greeting. We also send our greetings with our own hand. Your brother is well, for in our greatness we have secured for him the Despot of Morea where he now rules under the Mohammedans. Fear not, for he has not abandoned the Lord, for the Turks allow him to worship the True God. Undoubtedly you have received word from him about these matters so we will speak no more of it. Greet your most noble husband on our behalf and all the nobles of your realm.

We send this letter by the hands of certain noble ones among us, together with merchants as well. Greet them, we pray, as you would greet us. If they ask anything of you, then know it is being asked by us. And if you hold anything against them, forgive it, we pray, for our sake. But if not, we will speedily repay you lest these little matters which are not fit for even a servant to pay attention to comes between us. But we know that the merchants, at least, desire to gain goods from your hand. We confess ourselves ignorant of the sending and receiving of goods, for do we not wave our hand and the goods we desire appear? But know that they carry our blessings, for we earnestly desire to see on our royal table the wealth of your land.

By our hand we have sent many gifts[1] to you. Though we know they are but dust when set beside the wealth of your realm, value them, we pray for our sake. Farewell.

[1]gifts totaling 100 gold

From: Ioann Vasilyevich, Great Prince of Moscow, Master of the Entire Rus
To: King Hans of Denmark, Norway and Sweden, Sovereign of the Kalmar Union

We hope that this envoy reaches You in good health and Your realm in peace and prosperity. Our recent correspondence had left Us most pleased and satisfied; truly, nothing is a greater guarantee of peace and justice throughout the Christian World than the friendship and understanding between two great Sovereigns, and it is surely the will of God that we and our descendants should forever remain friends and allies.

[...]

Before long, Our trusted men will begin to do that which we have agreed upon previously, with regards to the German merchants and related matters. May avarice be punished; may injustice be rectified; may right and truth be restored through our mutual efforts.

[...]

We have been told that the impudent Sven Sture had gone against God and all good reason, and rebelled against his rightful Sovereign. Send Us the word, and We shall raise Our own Big Regiment and send it to fight the traitors wherever We could reach them, under the command of Our most trusted warlord: Daniil Schenya. Rest assured that We shall remain true to the agreement on the Finnish lands, and will seek no selfish gain there; Your loyal subjects, if truly loyal they are, shall need fear no offense or molestation.

May You succeed in all that You attempt.

---

The Great Western Embassy.

A small squadron of specially requisitioned sea-worthy ships led by the boyar Andrey Chelyadin and the dyak Ivan "Volk" Kuritsyn had departed from Ivangorod in 1496 and traveled west through the Skaggerak, bearing mead, furs, jewels, Damascene swords and silk plundered from the Tatars, and other gifts and goods. This fleet visited Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Bruges, Calais and London (along with some other ports) before turning back home in 1498, having left behind two special couriers at Calais who then traveled to Paris.

---

In London, the boyar Andrey Chelyadin and his retinue received a royal audience; upon arrival he bowed and spoke thusly: "Great King Henry! I pass on to you the bow of King John of Russia, and also the bow of the entire Russian land. Know that the land we have arrived from is distant, and that the master whom we serve is a powerful but greatly burdened ruler, as all truly great rulers are in this hard time; yet your good fame has spread as far as the great city of Moscow, and the word of your wisdom and justice had reached the ears of our king, whose soul was immediately filled with respect and admiration: therefore he has sent us here, to bring you those gifts and to register his respect.

Indeed, his respect is so great that he considers himself most unfortunate that he is not a relative of the His Majesty, and would wish to rectify that, for he had heard that Prince Arthur is a praiseworthy and eligible young man, whereas he himself has been blessed with a beautiful daughter, Theodosia, who shall soon ripen."

And after that they also talked about the wise policies of King Henry and the indubitable profitability of allowing Russian merchants to trade in London, since - as it turned out - much of the fur, wax and hemp, and other goods, that arrived to England from Germany truly originated in Russia, but were bought by the Hanse at cheap prices in Novgorod and sold at unfairly high prices in London and other cities, and allowing (indeed if possible encouraging through privileges) Russian merchants to conduct this trade would surely be the right thing to do, as those of the courtiers who had received their own fair share of Russian mead and Tatar jewelry were quick to agree.

---

In Bruges, the dyak Ivan Volk and his retinue received the audience of Philip, the son of the Emperor Maximilian. They bowed and passed on the bows of the Great Prince and the entire Russian land, and gave gifts, and held such speech: "The Great Prince Ioann greets you and your puissant father, having always been a close friend and ally of the German kings and emperors of the God-blessed lineage of Habsburgs. We have been sent here to bring you his bows and his gifts, and also his humble suggestion that you should allow Russian merchants to trade in the cities under your governance as any other foreign merchants or perhaps with some additional privileges; for already, many Russian goods arrive here, yet the ones to profit most from them are neither our Great Prince nor you nor your father, but the greedy and frivolous merchants of the Hanse. If you were to accept this, it would not only spread and reinforce your well-deserved fame as a wise and just ruler, and not only would increase your wealth and the wealth of your loyal subjects in this land, but would also humble the proud and insolent cities of northern Germany as the Great Prince once humbled Novgorod, and would eventually force them to repent their sins and become your loyal subjects in deed and not just in jest as they are now."

They also mentioned Elena, the eldest daughter of the Great Prince Ioann - a new Helene like that of Troy, except inasmuch as where the pagan Helene brought strife, the Christian Helene would fortify the love and friendship between the two mightiest sovereigns in the Christian World. Elena Ivanovna had truly come into her own by this age, as had Philip; surely they will be a great and glorious couple, especially since, as is widely known, the Russian princess has been unshakably in love with Philip for years now despite having only ever seen his portraits and heard his descriptions.

Also, the dyak and his assistants used the opportunity to hire willing masters of various arts (mainly the gunsmiths, bladesmiths and armourers, but also shipwrights, book printers, weavers and painters) to come to the Moscow court from Flanders, as per the Great Prince's command.

---

From: Ioann, Great Prince of Moscow, Master of the Entire Rus, Prince of Vladimir, Novgorod, Ryazan, Bulgaria, etc.
To: Charles, Emperor of France, Burgundy, Naples, etc.

We greet You, brother. We pray that Our envoy had found You in good health and Your realm in a state of peace and prosperity. Please, accept Our most sincere bow as a sign of Our respect and also Our gifts, meager though they may be before the fabled splendour of Your court.

Words cannot describe Our joy at having received Your greeting from Our most beloved wife, and having heard of Your desire to be called Our brother. Truly, it is God's will that we and our descendants should establish firm bonds of friendship; for if as some say, sincerely or out of desire to please, the Great Princes of Moscow are the greatest rulers of the East, the Emperors of France are surely the greatest rulers of the West, and our brotherhood will be such as shall unite the Christian World and protect it from all those who would spread strife or seek to attack it.

Please, if there is anything You wish from Us, or have any designs that should strengthen this sacred brotherhood and undermine its enemies, write to Us and We shall respond, and shall assist You in any way We can, so We swear by God, may He keep You well and healthy and grant You success in all that You might attempt.

To: Ioann Vasilyevich, Great Prince of Moscow, Master of the Entire Rus

We are pleased that our two nations can coorporate in this matter. We are pleased to hear that You have taken action against the Hanse merchants already. We have already begun writing an official decree that will strip from the Hanse merchants any such privilegues that they might hold, and, in addition, pay a tax to the crown amounting to four percent of the value of the goods they are carrying, to the Danish crown, should they want to enter the lands or seas of the Kalmar Union. We would like Your honest thoughts on this action, and whether the restriction is harsh enough to be effective. We weight Your advice in this matter very heavily, as You have been, and is indeed, a kind and brilliant ally to Us.

It has not gone unnoticed to Us that your fleet has passed through our waters of Skagerrak, and we applaud Your efforts to outmanouver the Hanse, for that is what We assume you are doing. You have our blessings in this effort, too.

We have also recieved rumours that You have plans for Your daughters to marry soon. We are most delighted on Your behalf. We, as You might know, have been blessed with a son, Prince Christian of Denmark, in 1481. As he begins to reach maturity, We are starting to look for a suitable bride for him. If You do not have plans for both of Your daughters yet, We would be honored that one of them married Our firstborn son, and it would indeed tie our nations even stronger together.

I await Your answer with anticipation. May the further dealing between The Rus and the Kalmar Union be as fruitful as they have been until now!

King Hans of Denmark, Sweden and Norway, and under God.

Top Bottom