BNW patch en route

Can someone please explain to me why more aggressive AI in the early game is a good thing?

*sigh* Not everyone is interested in constant war!

I never pointed out the war-mongering part, I was just mentioning the speed being faster.

In fact I was the lowest on the pointiest sticks table, zero , perhaps.

I was playing full cultural and spreading 'Nike Philosophy' to every city on the Donut World!

I never pointed out the war-mongering part, I was just mentioning the speed being faster.

In fact I was the lowest on the pointiest sticks table, zero , perhaps.

I was playing full cultural and spreading 'Nike Philosophy' to every city on the Donut World!

Sorry, that wasn't really addressed to you specifically: more to the person you quoted. I always forget that quotes don't nest on here they way they do on other forums. If you haven't noticed a more aggressive early-game AI, then that gives me some hope. I really don't see why it needs to be any more aggressive early-game than it is now (as in, pre this patch).

Sorry, that wasn't really addressed to you specifically: more to the person you quoted. I always forget that quotes don't nest on here they way they do on other forums. If you haven't noticed a more aggressive early-game AI, then that gives me some hope. I really don't see why it needs to be any more aggressive early-game than it is now (as in, pre this patch).

Haha. No need to apologize. There was no huge jump in the aggression. The war started by the Huns was justified because I was smothering their religion. :lol::mischief:;)

In comparison to earlier patches, not a very aggressive approach by the AI, then again I was not playing with city states and according to one of the posts that had updates, only the city states were becoming more aggressive, though, I am not sure about it.

But the new great artist, scientist and worker icons look great now. (out of context but happy about it)

So far, in four games i played post-patch, the AI has been pretty efficient in murdering my cities. Germany is insane. By turn 50, it has 3 cities up in 2 of my games. Absolutely ridiculous and i was playing on King. I also got wrecked by a HUGE Attlia force consisting of 5 Battering Rams, 4 Horse Archers, 3 C.Bows after seeing this very same force wreck the Dutch in 4 turns 10 turns before.

And the turn times are fantastic. Thanks for the patch:D

Yes, Bismarck's been spamming cities everywhere in my game. I mentioned that I beat that first attack (which had lots more units outside my sight range off)? That was on the fourth attempt (twice because of misclicks on my part - one that moved the archer out of the city instead of attacking with it, and one which traded a resource to Kamehameha for the default 30 gold rather than the 130 I needed to complete the Wall).

No chance I'll survive the second attack - I have Iron Working but can't safely work my newly-acquired iron, and I'm a long way behind on getting Civil Service to match those Landsknechts.

The AI does still lose a lot more units than most human players would taking those cities, however.

what is this! Got first game after patch, play as pacha at small pangaea, immortal diff, i met nobunaga at turns 10, he say that my army is weak at turns 13, WTF, just how big should my army be on turn 13?
Just to make it worse he denounce me on turns 17! And now i'm facing a double DOW at turns 44, when i have a warrior, a spear, and a slinger. Just how big should my army be on turn 40ish?

This is unlikely to be related to the patch - I had much the same two days ago with Elizabeth on the same difficulty (though no denunciation, just the declaration). If you have an aggressive civ nearby who happens to want your lands, it's always been the case that this can happen. Oda's known for it.

In my post-patch game, the AIs I've encountered are conforming to type, with no apparent personality differences compared with pre-patch (except Suleiman, who's usually a bit nutty but seems positively passive this time around. Then again, he's the weakest civ by score of those I've met and the only one weaker than me at this game stage).

Gandhi, Suleiman, Kahemahaha all have DoFs with me, Gandhi and Sully for the second time.
Sejong doesn't seem to much like me (he covets my lands and is steadfastly neutral), but is non-aggressive (towards me. He did once ask me to attack Polynesia, but I declined and he doesn't seem to have attacked himself).
Bismarck: See my screenshots. He is Bismarck...

Either that or they have specifically made Oda more aggressive.

Sounds typical Oda to me. He's rare in my games, and rarer as a close neighbour, in fact I'm not even sure I've had him as a neighbour since vanilla, when the AI was more aggressive generally. But when he has been my neighbour in the past (on lower difficulties than Immortal), I recall this kind of behaviour.

Of course, the few people reporting highly aggressive AI early in the game might just have happened to start next to several highly aggressive/expansionist AI.

Yeah, Oda has always been an insanely aggressive neighbor. If he thinks his army is bigger than yours, he will attack you in the first few turns after meeting, no questions asked.

On higher difficulty settings, especially if you don't start building your army up from day one, you will look puny to him and he can attack you in the first 20-30 turns. He doesn't usually succeed, though, because taking cities with warriors is pretty damned hard.

I havent played much (had to work and stuff) but on one game this morning Oda was going towards my lands with at least 4/5 units (could not see much in fog of war) and backed away when he approached my city. I had like 2 archers with 2 promotions and enough money to rushbuy a wall. My city was protected by a river from that side.

Can more people post some screanshots about early attacks. I`m quite interested as i like the ai to be agressive but not to much that he will turn into a runaway civ.

Also did the AI get a happines nerf on this patch. Or is it for BNW next week?

Also did the AI get a happines nerf on this patch. Or is it for BNW next week?

If it did, then about time...Sick of seeing the ai with ludicrous amounts of :)

Killed my hotseat game...but when I went to set a new one up there was a "save game config" option, which kind of made up for that.

Otherwise, looking forward to the new AI....

If it did, then about time...Sick of seeing the ai with ludicrous amounts of :)
Just played a game. When I reached the Renaissance Siam was expanding wildly having 70 happiness... and we were about on equal level with technology.

Found a new trait that I extremely dislike: you cannot change the production anymore when it is another player's turn. Quick changing because of a mistake or changing production because another player got to that wonder first isn't possible anymore.

^

The above is easily the worst part of this patch and not sure if its intentional. In multiplayer you can't even trade with players either if you have ended your turn in hybrid mode leaving you stuck. Not being able to quick change is quite annoying

^

The above is easily the worst part of this patch and not sure if its intentional. In multiplayer you can't even trade with players either if you have ended your turn in hybrid mode leaving you stuck. Not being able to quick change is quite annoying

actually it make quite a sense to me. this will happen only if you're at war and turn mode will change to sequentiall. so you and your war opponent will have the same ammount of time to actually play and game will be fair. if it would turn out as you suggest, the first one doing turn would have advantage of having additional time to adjust lesser game functions.

I love the news that the AI may be more aggressive because one of the main hopes (including MadDjinn's) was that we would all have to play at lower difficulties - and then having to learn in working our way up the ladder. Woo hoo.

actually it make quite a sense to me. this will happen only if you're at war and turn mode will change to sequentiall. so you and your war opponent will have the same ammount of time to actually play and game will be fair. if it would turn out as you suggest, the first one doing turn would have advantage of having additional time to adjust lesser game functions.
Well it would be quite useful if you see during another player's turn his army assembling near your borders - that one extra production turn could be vital, especially early in the game. And being forced to wait until the turn is over despite you were too late in producing that wonder means you'll waste the production of that turn. You won't be compensated for that turn as it was no longer possible to get closer finishing the wonder. It also prevents you from changing to build another wonder, wasting a valuable turn.
And it is difficult to talk about being fair if you consider all the boosts that the AI receive.

Ive just finished my immortal game. I`ve played it peacefully just to see how my opponents were expanding and to see how agressive they were. I must say i`m impressed with the small amount of time i put in the game. Rome lost on of its citys by Japan who attacked it from far away and could not recover after that. Its units must have been searching for a weak spot to attack. Boudicca, William and a religious civ (Theodora pink one?) were doing a bit better then me but not much. They had slightly more citys and a bigger population then me.

In the end i got destroyed by Japan. I sighned a friendship treaty with them which might have saved my but for like 30 turns. As soon as the treaty was ended they attacked my closest city. I was outgunned but i got surrounded and destroyed in like 6-8 turns. Only flaw i could see was that he had some unupgraded units. Warriors and charriots. That might be because he had no iron and rechearched the knight upgrade probably when he almost finished me. In the last 2 turns i saw one knight which puppeted my city. I saw a nice flanking attack by 3 pikeman who made short work of my composite bowman on a forested hill. Japan`s units were a bit like a big blob but he did put his archers behind his front row ow melee units. And one horseman was agressive from the flanks. He did not care much if i picked some units off and did not retreated them on low health.

Boudicca destroyed the yellow/orange polynesians (might be wrong name) just before Japan started to attack me. When Japan attacked i asked my 2 neighbours to support me by attacking Japan but they were like "2200 gold, 2 horses and some luxury resources just isnt good enough.

Nice game. I hope my future games will be just as exciting. Only issue i had was that Japan was just to expansive which i hope will be nerved when they get less happines in brave new worlds. Score wise i was last or second last most of the game but could hang on. I could have expanded more agressively but i had a neighbour with a big army (Japan). not doing much close to my border. He did not have many civs around him which could trouble him.

It looks like there's an issue with existing hot-seat games because of some other multiplayer changes that were made. Our engineering lead would like to see if this fixes the issue for you with your current hot-seat games. Back-up the current file located within the Civ V folder (mine is located here):

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\sid meier's civilization v\assets\UI\FrontEnd\LoadScreen.lua

And then unzip and copy in the attached replacement file.

Please let us know if this takes care of the issue for you.

Just tried it...after clicking Next Turn it now says "Waiting for players" and cranks the CPU....using GMR....

Well it would be quite useful if you see during another player's turn his army assembling near your borders - that one extra production turn could be vital, especially early in the game. And being forced to wait until the turn is over despite you were too late in producing that wonder means you'll waste the production of that turn. You won't be compensated for that turn as it was no longer possible to get closer finishing the wonder. It also prevents you from changing to build another wonder, wasting a valuable turn.
And it is difficult to talk about being fair if you consider all the boosts that the AI receive.

i don't quite understand your point here.
first of all, don't bring AI here, we are talking about multiplayer human games here.
hybrid turn mode means once players are at war, game will change for them into sequentiall playing. first one plays, after him second one. so what i¨m saying is good is, that once first one click on next turn button or runs out of time, he shouldn't be able to do anything while the second one is playing, because these two players should have the same conditions. if you want to change what you're building or anything else, do it in your time.

Camfrlas,

This is not a private forum. People can talk about whatever they want. Like the AI.

Top Bottom