BNW patch en route

I have preordered it 3-4 days ago but I didn't get the 1 giga download. I think the purchase was "too late" for them, but hey, what a damn crappy logic, steam/firaxis! If you had kept me informed about this quite bizarre modus operandi I'd have purchased the expansion earlier. :gripe:
(Sorry for my f* up English syntax)

Pre-downloading is more of a Steam policy to reduce load on the servers at release. Firaxis/2K only has to give them the final product to distribute. Not sure what amount of time is required by Steam to get the pre-download.....

CS

Heh, I mean the extra BNW secret not ingame files.

Yep, weeks ago... It even started with a 1GB download, but when it was around 80 MB it suddenly turned into the 88 MB and finished...

Maybe for those who just recently preordered BNW (3-5 weeks ago) won't get the update?

Its possible. I preordered about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I did not get the update. Its also possible we will get it over the next couple of days.

Its possible. I preordered about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I did not get the update. Its also possible we will get it over the next couple of days.

I hope so. I preordered around June 10th or so.

Oh wow have you guys noticed how much less time turns take to process? This has always been a huge gripe for me. I'm so happy to see this fixed.

I've noticed that the Rock of Gibraltar is sometimes not spawning next to a mountain now. Is that intended?

It broke mine.

It could differ among users. None of mine were affected.

As for the preorder dilemma; I don't really know what to say. I preordered mine on Steam when it was first announced. I don't remember when that was.

Just a question, are those who are experiencing broken game saves using mods? Because I can easily see how that would cause a problem.

Just a question, are those who are experiencing broken game saves using mods? Because I can easily see how that would cause a problem.

Either using mods or playing multiplayer it seems. Single Player saves don't seem to be broken (but some bugs do happen, not sure if related to being pre-patch).

Just updated and ran straight into a crash in my saved game (attached). When Nobunaga pops up to suggest a research agreement I negotiate and the spinning globe icon appears and the game hangs. After mashing the escape key a popup appears saying Civ5 has stopped working.

Attachments

• Nebuchadnezzar II_0038 BC-2480.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 31
Played a game against the computer... seemed like they were much more aggressive. Could be my imagination? All 3 other players on my continent accused me of taking land they considered theirs and building cities too aggressively after I built my 3rd city... weird

While I'm very disappointed that Firaxis have not cleared up the Farm replacement crash (related to reloading the landmark system) I am very pleased that there are now non-truncated tuner statements. That is a huge boon to modders.

Another oddity I have found is that the new db loader somehow will not parse the sql reincrement file (thanks lemmy101!), which really leaves the db in shambles.

First off, thanks Dennis for being around after the patch released and you're giving some amazing support to a patch I really appreciated being uploaded now rather than next week. The farm replacement crash is a real biggie for modders; if we reload the landmark system to allow new (modded) resources, the game crashes if we then build a plantation or mine where there's already a farm.

The other question that's not been answered by anyone - and is not obvious from the files - is that can modders still use the old, pre-BNW UAs in modded civs - for example, a civ using France's old UA of +2 culture per turn?

Oh - and about the Motherland Calls - which I now suspect NOT to be in the game despite the XML files being there. There are no art assets for it, as far as I can see.

Played a game against the computer... seemed like they were much more aggressive. Could be my imagination? All 3 other players on my continent accused me of taking land they considered theirs and building cities too aggressively after I built my 3rd city... weird

I haven't noticed more aggression than usual except when already at war, and we were promised an increase in aggressive city attacks. One of my neighbours was Bismarck, so I got to see it in action:

Spoiler :

It's still not perfect - the AI wouldn't retreat wounded Warriors adjacent to the city square to replace with healthy ones, I saw a few Warriors fortified when they had space to move forward, and the AI is still easily distracted by the odd sacrificial unit sent its way. But it certainly uses a coherent mix of attackers and is quite good at focusing fire and at shooting before attacking.

Plus, when that attack was beaten off, after quite a clever feint with an attack on Boston (clever, because in the past the AI has shown no adaptability in city targeting - it will set a target city and attack that city and nothing but that city until it's captured), the AI returned with:

Spoiler :

The other question that's not been answered by anyone - and is not obvious from the files - is that can modders still use the old, pre-BNW UAs in modded civs - for example, a civ using France's old UA of +2 culture per turn?

Wouldn't one be able to find out from the new Traits xml?

I haven't noticed more aggression than usual except when already at war, and we were promised an increase in aggressive city attacks. One of my neighbours was Bismarck, so I got to see it in action:

Spoiler :

It's still not perfect - the AI wouldn't retreat wounded Warriors adjacent to the city square to replace with healthy ones, I saw a few Warriors fortified when they had space to move forward, and the AI is still easily distracted by the odd sacrificial unit sent its way. But it certainly uses a coherent mix of attackers and is quite good at focusing fire and at shooting before attacking.

Plus, when that attack was beaten off, after quite a clever feint with an attack on Boston (clever, because in the past the AI has shown no adaptability in city targeting - it will set a target city and attack that city and nothing but that city until it's captured), the AI returned with:

Spoiler :

This is actually fairly impressive for the ai. They have come a very long way over the last few years. What difficulty is this on?

They're not in the new traits XML - which is why I'm asking.

Oh... well then, that is an important question.

Is it just the French and Arabian ones missing, or are others such as the unused Philosophy trait missing too? I pre-ordered on Greenmangaming, so can't check myself.

Been playing a new game with the patch and my favorite mods (haven't gotten BNW files yet tho) and I'm enjoying fast load times, quicker turn processing, lower GPU temps and a more aggressive AI. Not bad at all. In fact, I'm one happy camper. :woohoo:

Top Bottom