1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Born of Fire: Discussion and Development Thread

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by RedAlert, Jul 6, 2007.

1. RedAlert

RedAlert Love one another

It's good to see your back in action, Blue. I love the new tech icons!

You figured right. Hopefully we can have all the benefits of a bigger map without the cons. I really like the Easter Island / Moai idea.

2. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

I really chuckled when I saw the link to my joke wonder in your signature.

I've got several more techs partially finished but I figured I ought to get the map in at least usable shape first.

3. Blue Monkey

4. Blue Monkey

Before I get too deeply into the map I wanted to give you a preliminary screenshot: Mexico roughed out. The land mass is roughly 70x60 tiles. This is posted for map size only. Coastlines are not fine tuned. Terrain is not placed either. Does it look like I'm aiming for the size map you want?

thumbnail

5. Sword_Of_Geddon

Sword_Of_Geddon Mysterious Jungle Warrior

i Hope Redalert gets back here soon and answers your question.

6. Blue Monkey

In the meantime I have plenty of C3C projects (3 series of tech icons, 5-6 maps, 4-5 mods) to keep me busy. I still haven't sorted through hundreds of recovered graphics files. And if I do run out of things to do I can always start learning Poser.

Edit: Oh yeah ... the Bazaar thread needs about a million updates & corrections.

7. Sword_Of_Geddon

I thought it was time this thread got a bump.

My Totonac Leaderhead is finished and rendered...Looks great too. I just have to make the pcxs for it.

Red I also have some information for you: A Totonac citylist:

El Tajín
    Papantla
    Xalapa
    Cempoala
    Zempoala
    Ebano
    La Laja
    Tempoal
    Narahjos
    Alazen
    Tantoyuza
    Chicotepec
    Ixhuatlan
    Nautla
    Misantla
    Acula
    Cosamaluapam
    Sotaaapan
    Coatzasoalcos
    Texistepec
    Macaya
    Ojapa
    Tesechoacan
    Tlacotalpan
    Cuichapa
    Chalchijapan

8. RedAlert

Thank you for your help! I don't have a Totonac civ, but I could add those cities to the Teotihuacan city list. I really like your new leaderhead and I would like to use it for the Totonac's Huastec neighbours.

That looks good! I'm happy with the size.

----------------------
    I'll update the first posts in this thead when I get a chance over the next couple of weeks. I need to review the work I've got done on this so far and refresh my memory about some things and get organized.

9. Blue Monkey

consider it back in my creation queue.
    Once you've got your schema sorted out, let me know how soon you need the map.

10. Sword_Of_Geddon

Hows this for Spear-Thrower-Owl of the Teotihuacan? BTW you can use the other Mesoamerican leaderhead I'm making for the Huastecs...see my Totonac preview thread..

11. RedAlert

It's good (as always) to have you on board, Blue!

:goodjob:
    That sounds like a plan.

12. Blue Monkey

If you can eventually post an updated list of needed tech icons I can also pick up that work.

13. RedAlert

Update :bump:

I have spent the last few months working hard on this mod. Most of that work has been in revising and refining several concepts.

Civilizations

Introducing two more civs: the Pipil of El Salvador and the Chibchan of Colombia. This brings the number of civs up to 20 in total.

I have edited the first page to include the updated civ list.

I had previously decided against this, but I am now leaning towards including the Spanish as a non-playable civilization. Thoughts?

Civilizaton Traits

I added an explanation of the civilization traits on the first page. I'm mostly happy with what civ traits each civ has, but I may consider some changes.

Culture Groups

I have decided to make use of all five culture groups for this mod. This means I will be creating all new, unique city graphics for each culture group (this will wait until later, there are more important things to work on at the moment.)

Possible culture group arrangements:

- Mexican (Aztecs, Huastecs, Mixtecs, Tarascans, Teotihuacan, Toltecs, Zapotecs, maybe Olmecs)
    - Mayan (Maya, maybe Olmecs)
    - Highland Andean (Chavin, Huari, Inca, Tiwanaku, maybe Chachapoyas)
    - Coastal Andean (Chimor, Moche, Nazca)
    - Tribal (Chibchan, Mapuche, Pipil, maybe Chachapoyas)

Or, assuming inclusion of the Spanish

- Mexican (Aztecs, Huastecs, Mixtecs, Tarascans, Teotihuacan, Toltecs, Zapotecs, maybe Olmecs)
    - Andean (Chavin, Chimor, Huari, Inca, Moche, Nazca, Tiwanaku, maybe Chachapoyas)
    - Tribal (Chibchan, Mapuche, Pipil, maybe Chachapoyas)
    - Spanish (Spanish)

Or even

- Highland Andean (Chavin, Huari, Inca, Tiwanaku, maybe Chachapoyas)
    - Coastal Andean (Chimor, Moche, Nazca)
    - Tribal & Spanish (Chibchan, Mapuche, Pipil, Spanish, maybe Chachapoyas)

Improvements and Wonders

One of the biggest needs for this mod is buildings graphics, as there are few mesoamerican ones available at the moment. It is my intention to create many, if not most, of these graphics myself.

I will be updating the first page with an exhaustive list of buildings and wonders in the mod in the near future.

Tech Icons

The list of required Tech Icons has been updated for the first two eras. The other two will be up soon.

Tech Tree

The tech tree has been given a major overhaul. The first two eras are previewed on the first page, and the other two will be soon.

Units

Providing things go well, I intend to introduce two-tiered unit lines: lines each for peasant / lower class units and noble / upper class units. There is difficulty in this, as such a system will need to be tested an honed in game to see if it is at all feasible. Since there is no 'in game' at the moment, this will have to wait. As a result, I have made no unit line updates or previews.

I have been working on a new list of unit requests. Stay tuned.

14. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

The Spanish would be a fun addition. I guess they'd work a lot like the Vikings in "The Rood And The Dragon" :)

15. Blue Monkey

Just saw this. I'm too bleary eyed to check out the list. But I will see what I can do re tech icons.

16. Sword_Of_Geddon

This mod has always been one of those mirages in the desert you always want to get to....but never seem to be able to...please make it a reality Red...I beg you.

17. RedAlert

That's what I'm thinking. I thought it would be kind of stupid to have the timeline go into the 1600s, introduce European techs and units, but not actually have Europeans coming in to clean up the place.

It's incomplete at the moment, but I will be updating it over the next... few days? Thanks again!

It seems that way, doesn't it. :(
    But I will complete this. I've started over a few times, and taken a few breaks. I've done a lot of work already, but there's still so much left to do. Even more than my cities, I believe this mod will be my big contribution to the Civ3 creation community. That's how important this project is to me.

18. againsttheflow

againsttheflow unpolitically uncorrect

I'd be glad to help with some tech icons if I can find the time but don't want to dip into what Blue Monkey has planned...

19. Blue Monkey

I've seen your work and know you can do well. My hands are pretty full with the SP project, & for this project will probably concentrate first on finishing the map. Feel free to go for anything you like. If I can help you with source images or other research I'd be happy to help you, againsttheflow.

20. Sword_Of_Geddon

I wonder if you manage to defeat the invading spanish forces though at the end of your scenerio Red..does a huge natural disaster happen and say, you have done events that were not fated to take place, you will now be erased....

GAME OVER....

:lol: