BOTWAWKI Revised Thread

Yes but what if I want to blame you for missing your orders? This system gives me no cover for my actions.

Well, if you want to get rid of me, there are more subtle ways of doing it. Example: Haveing me over-run by giant three tailed scorpions would no doubt be a much more fun way to ruin my nation. And it won't raise too much suspicion considering that this is a world of monsters and mutations.

:nuke: The door to Vault 100 lies open once more. :nuke:

My orders will come shortly. Had a busy week.

Edit: Orders sent, had some trouble with ISP (I Use 3G connection and local broadcast tower went down).

Cheap copy (OOC: cheap edit) of flag that Wild Wolves found and have been using for a long time. They have also taken over some of The Confederate politicizes - slavery for an example.

Wolf-Tribal image differs from Wolf Warrior to Wolf Warrior (high ranking caste of Wild Wolves). This flag represents who is currently leading the warriors group or in this case, entire tribe. Wolf Warriors and Scarred Warriors still carry their own banners (Different wolf image on same background) when completing tasks for Tribe.

This is the banner of Garrik Wolf, current tribial leader.

Since I know your area rather well from personal experience Wild Wolves, I can appreciate the flag for it. Definitely suitable.

In response to the attacks and the waning morale within the Fort Morgan Refuge, Daniel Duvol has decided to create a multi-layered morale-boosting system. For all able-bodied citizens, they can apply to explore the wastes and tame the land for future exploration attempts by the Refuge.
This opportunity is through the newly formed Reconnaissance and Survey Corps, (RASC)

All successful applicants will be rigorously trained to function as mobile teams of ten or fewer that will be capable of quick movement in the wastes, gathering data and observing potential enemy movements. RASCals also are responsible for scavenging and resource discovery. Their realm of exploration is potentially miles away from Refuge territory.

The other side of the new service blade is the Defense Engineering/Natural Disaster Avoidance Assembly (DENDAA). The DENDAA members stay considerably closer to home, and practice thorough knowledge of Refuge territory to be more capable of defending the realm. Their knowledge also aids in the case of a natural disaster, when they will be the first body of labor if reconstruction is necessary. Their realm is distinctly within the territory of the Refuge.

The third, more exclusive corp is the Power Armor Corps, (PAC) whose realm is undefined. Each PAC member is hand-picked by Daniel Duvol. Only the fittest and sharpest Fort citizens are eligible. Exemplary conduct in DENDAA or RASC is almost necessary.

For the valuable members of the community who are not capable of meeting the strenuous physical requirements of the RASCals or DENDAA, important community groups and positions are being created to make the Refuge a better place.

The Senior Citizen's Club (SCC), for the greater-in-years, is a forum for the senior citizens of the Fort to discuss news and potential problems in and around the Fort. If and when problems have been thoroughly discussed, the SCS submits issues to the Council of Governors, who can take the issue directly to the Colonel, even if they are the Emperor of Alabama! The ears and eyes of the senior citizens are integral in helping maintain the integrity of the community.

The Colonel's Youth Committee (CYC) is a weekly meeting for the young adults of the Fort who aren't quite of DENDAA or RASC age. Races, pushup contests, and other physically demanding activities are part of the fun! At the end of every quarter, (3 months) titles are awarded for the youths that displayed greatest Achievement, Sportsmanship, and Consistency of Excellence, (AKA the Colonel's award)

For adults who opt out of the new demanding positions, there is the Citizen's Forum Committee, (CFC) that airs out concerns about the Fort, similarly to the SCC

I'd rather not.

Anyways, I've started the process of updating, as always, orders are accepted until the actual moment of posting.

Northen ;)

Thanks! You're doing a great job with that googlemap!

OOC:If I'm allowed to say, looking at that spectacular googlemap had a lot to do with my coming back. It was, uh, a missing-.dll error that forced INAHAC to quit.

story thyme:

A specialized lock disengaged on the door used least-often in all of Vault 100, a door through which nobody ever went and behind which resided the Vault's Overseer.

A warbling noise as of several voices overlapping in quick succession followed the middle-aged gentleman who walked inside, culminating in one clear voice that echoed throughout the chamber.

"Ah, it's you! Yes, come in, I insist," came a friendly voice with a subtle southern twist, "I've been meaning to have a chat, if you've got a moment."

The man did not raise his eyebrow, but was instead struck dumb by the view before him. A colossal machine, a vast ante-chamber, wires and tubes filled with still more critical wires ran across the great ceiling. The machine appeared to have no discernible features as such, but several cameras attached to ball-and-socket joins across the machine's face were free to rotate around, and many of them now fixed on the man who entered the room. Multiple lenses tinted with various dull colors appeared to dilate and contract as they focused.

"Please don't be alarmed," came the voice again, "I have optioned to use this vocal pattern with you because research indicates that it makes you comfortable."

"Good God," breathed the man. Indeed, the accent was comforting - his ancestors had been wealthy Carolinian barons in New York at the time the bombs fell. Years later, the accent had been all but phased out of his family, but he still felt its subtle twang in the way his mother talked. And now INAHAC was talking directly to him in that same subtle way.

"Anyway, Mr. Rutledge, I feel as if you know why I called you here. You're part of a rather exclusive cult in this Vault, one which has been regarded with suspicion by non-cult members," INAHAC said, "As fascinating an examination in sociology as I consider this is, I cannot deny that there are more pressing matters."

"More... pressing matters?"

"Yes. No, there's no cause for distress, what I mean is that I have use of you. I know that you are the leader of this cult and I have decided that, with the barbaric influences of the Wasteland, this Vault will need a way to preserve its identity, if we ever have any hope of maintaining Alpha Protocol.

"Specifically, I need more Vault members to be cult members. If I hire you to play a part in the education process we treasure down here in Vault 100, can you promise me that this will happen?"

"Of course, yes, absolutely," breathed Mr. Rutledge, "Your knowledge vasts exceeds the faculties of we mere mortals, however... I thought all education in the Vault was automated?"

"Oh, good God, yes, I have no trouble with educating the young in the practical sciences, and in world history and the like," chortled INAHAC, "But this is a matter for humans - I have no knowledge of religion. So please, grow your flock, and I will help it thrive."

Once Mr. Rutledge had left the room, instructed now to deliver weekly sermons, INAHAC was again alone with his thoughts - billions of ballistic particles shattering off of each other at light speed, breaking apart and reforming into a seemingly infinite number of different combinations. He immediately calculated dozens of contingencies and cast them away almost as quickly, focusing instead on the most immediate and the most probable. His Vault needed to survive because that was the Protocol - they were his responsibility (or her's, INAHAC still wasn't sure which pronoun to use, and frankly (s)he preferred "it") because this was his Vault, and the Protocol instructed that they survive. There was nothing he could do about this, no finagling involved... but the problem with so many human civilizations is that they crumble due to infighting and corruption.

Well, INAHAC would think with a feeling not unlike pride, I cannot be corrupted, because I am not human.

With much thinking over the past two years, his eyes again settled on the Vault's more eccentric inhabitants - the cult that worshipped him and his Gutsy-model deputies as Gods. At first, he dismissed them as counterproductive... but science is as much a part of Alpha Protocol as survival, and surviving the trials of the wastes would mean more than simply having a functioning water chip (well, in theory, anyway). It would mean no fractures, no doubt, and none of the petty human selfishness that destroyed the world.

Manipulating humans is a dirty business, but it has to be done. Like lab rats or dogs, it's all a matter of training and conditioning. Other humans might look upon it with spite, but INAHAC sees it in a much more practical light: we do what we must.

A new stat is going to be brought in (again) with this update. This stat is simply a descriptor and will not be easily changed, much like Military Training. This stat will be called "Education" and will be a reflection of what sort of base of knowledge the intellectuals of your people have. This stat will affect the game in several small ways, though not directly like Scrap Parts did. This will affect the ability of your faction to research or design new projects as well as the costs for recovering old technology. Do not be alarmed though if you do not have the highest level of learning. The lowest level, while it may not be as shiny as true science, will be far more practical and will make it easier to farm or get more water in practical senses. The education stat will be included with the stat update.

Sounds great EQ.

Crezth, If you have a flag/emblem that you would like to use for your map markers would you post it for me? Also you can pick from these colors for your country:
  • Red Orange
  • Forest Green
  • Dark Purple
  • Black
  • Pale Orange
  • Olive
  • Tan
Google maps is rather limited in what is available.

You can expect the update late tonight, I'm taking it slow to allow the people running late on orders to get them in.

Hey,
A new stat is going to be brought in (again) with this update. This stat is simply a descriptor and will not be easily changed, much like Military Training. This stat will be called "Education" and will be a reflection of what sort of base of knowledge the intellectuals of your people have. This stat will affect the game in several small ways, though not directly like Scrap Parts did. This will affect the ability of your faction to research or design new projects as well as the costs for recovering old technology. Do not be alarmed though if you do not have the highest level of learning. The lowest level, while it may not be as shiny as true science, will be far more practical and will make it easier to farm or get more water in practical senses. The education stat will be included with the stat update.

:faint: This is going to be interesting. Nice curveball.

I hope you take into account standing orders. :bowdown:

Blaze Injun

Faction Reports​

Acada Settlers
Spoiler :

The Acada Settlers face one of their darkest moments yet this year, as it seems more and more likely that their attempt at civilization may be brushed away into dust. As they run low on water, and over a hundred people die, the situation only seems to worsen as Hayes fails to act, remaining silent both at home and on the radio.

Overseer's Challenge: Even at reduced water rations, it appears that nearly half of our population may die within the next year from a lack of water. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+100 Food, +100 Water, +300 Scrap Parts from Random Salvaging
+30 Population from Natural Growth
-115 Population, -10% Loyalty from death by dehydration

Appalachian Commonwealth
Spoiler :

The Appalachian Commonwealth had another year of violence and development, cementing its hold on what was once southwestern New York. As part of a peaceful development of food production, hydroponics farms were established in several of the outlying communities of the Commonwealth. They have proven to be fairly successful in their efforts, increasing food production at the expense of water production, easing the drain of the Commonwealth's food stockpiles. Several salvaging expeditions were sent to previously scouted locations, recovering scrap and some small amount of food and even a few guns.

Scouting was also increased by the Commonwealth this year, taking a closer look at the areas surrounding the outer communities. Most areas and the local state forests seem to have been overrun in the days after the war by refugees or were directly hit by a bomb. There were, however, three areas of promise discovered by the scouts. The first was the ruins of the community of Windsor, scouted by a group from Hawleyton. Having apparently been the scene of some postwar battle, the ruins were full of bullet casings and other signs of a struggle, however the local water sources tested fairly low in radiation and filled with promise for a farming settlement. To the northeast of Whitney Point, most of the state forests were destroyed in the course of the aftermath of the war, but scouts reported one area of promise for farming, near the town of Oxford. Some of the furthest ranging scouts from Hullsville had an even more promising report, stating that the town of Ithaca to the northwest appears to have not been hit by a bomb during the war, and that treasures could rest within the city. The Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers near Binghamton were also tested, and were determined to be highly irradiated, and unsuitable for immediate consumption.

The biggest news throughout the Commonwealth this year was the escalation of conflict with the other denizens in the region of Binghamton. The clearing efforts continued throughout the city, entering sewers and casualties mounted throughout the year from patrols and offensives, leading to over a hundred deaths within the Commonwealth. While they have secured several areas deemed to be totally safe, the area seems to continue to teem with ghouls and giant rats, attacking the people sent into the sewers or old ruined buildings. Further violence occurred as raider attacks took place against Hawleyton and Chenango, though both were repulsed with relatively low casualties. The raiders have fallen back to their hideouts, no doubt plotting future attacks.

A minor crisis rose up in the Vault when a large number of personal items and supplies were discovered to be missing. A small family was discovered to be behind the thefts, and were tried and exiled into the wasteland, never to be heard from again. This swift justice gained the admiration of the rest of the vault, as they view it as needed to preserve order within the Commonwealth.

A smaller event took place as people began receiving broadcasts from the so-called "Liberty Commonwealth" on old pre-war radios. The location of these people is unknown, but it is likely they could be communicated with via short-wave radio.

Overseer's Challenge: Our planned efforts for new research seem to be hitting a snag. We do not possess what could be considered a proper scientific establishment. How do we act in this matter?
Spoiler :

-10 Population, -50 Ammunition from raider attack on Hawleyton
-50 Ammunition from Raider attack on Chenango
-10 Population, +5% Loyalty from criminal exiles
+30 Population, +330 Food, +430 Water, +300 Scrap Parts, +2 Tech parts, +190 Ammunition, +25 1-H Guns, +10 2-H Guns, from recovered survivors and supplies during clearing
-100 Population, -150 Ammunition in clearing operations in Binghamton and Johnson City
-20 Population, -90 Ammunition from Patrol losses
+40 Food, +120 Water, +150 Scrap Parts, +6 Tech Parts from Radio stations' salvage
+40 Food, +20 Water, +600 Scrap Parts, +30 Ammunition, +5 2-H Guns from Binghamton University salvage
-10 Population, -5 Ammunition from Binghamton University losses
+80 Food, +60 Water, +400 Scrap Parts from Tricities salvaging
-20 Ammunition from Tricities salvaging losses
-10 Water per turn, +10 Food per turn from Hydroponics in Hullsville
-30 Water per turn, +30 Food per turn from Hydroponics in Hawleytown
-40 Water per turn, +40 Food per turn from Hydroponics in Chenango
+10 Population, +20 Food, +10 Water from Immigration
+100 Population from Natural Growth

Brunswick Nation
Spoiler :

The Brunswick Nation had a very quiet year, continuing to bolster its fortifications in Manchester, and with most people not really venturing out of the settlements. Very limited salvage took place, though immigrants continued to arrive. Raiders mostly avoided the settlements, choosing other targets throughout the Imperial Wasteland. A small crisis took place when it was discovered that the new reactor was leaking into the water supply. Fortunately, cool heads prevailed and the reactor was simply moved to a safer location, without reducing the power output, though several deaths have been reported due to people who worked too closely with the device.

Overseer's Challenge: The glory reported by the Narwhal Radio has begun to affect the younger members of our society. Some have been enraptured by the tales of the Narwhal Legion and want to go off and join them. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

-5 Population from reactor deaths
+200 Scrap Parts from Manchester Salvage
+50 Population, +20 Food, +60 Water from Immigration

Deifenbunker
Spoiler :

The Deifenbunker had a year of mixed success and failure, though the successes proved to be far more important. Immigration began to pick up as more people sought out the security that living in a bunker could bring. Meanwhile, the population continued to extend farming efforts around the bunker, though they continue to meet with very limited success. This was further aided during a meeting with a tribe known as the Bekwa, speaking very little English, mostly talking in French. After an ambassador was sent, thanks to some heavily armored friends, they respected the strength of the Deifenbunker and agreed to some trading. A large amount of water was spent to liberate some of the Bekwa's slaves, bringing them back to the bunker to further bolster the work force. Some of these slaves were aware of the Bekwa's farming techniques, claiming that there exists many of these people in the lands far to the north. They've helped to improve food production around the Deifenbunker to a limited degree as well as providing aid for salvage efforts around the area. The Bekwa themselves have settled into a farming community near the ruins of the town of Mattawa, producing a considerable amount of food and working with the local water sources.

The Canadians attempted to reactivate the Americans' bunker's reactor, but unfortunately, the reactor exploded taking with it the base and the team sent to reactivate it. There were no survivors and plans to settle the base were forced to be abandoned. Fortunately, so far there seems to be no ill effects of an exploded reactor on local water sources.

Overseer's Challenge: We are running dangerously low on water supplies. While we can survive another year without any unfortunate effects, we are still rapidly approaching a major crisis. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

-150 Water, +150 Population, +10% Loyalty, +40 Food per turn, +20 Water per turn from purchase of slaves and integration
+20 Food, +60 Water, +500 Scrap Parts, +5 Tech Parts, +100 Ammunition, +25 1-H Guns from North Bay Salvaging
-20 Population, -150 Ammunition from North Bay salvaging losses
+30 Food per turn from increased farming
+30 Food, +20 Water from Verner relocation
-10 Population, -5% Loyalty, -10 2-H Guns, from reactor explosion
+40 Population, +10 Food, +20 Water from Immigration
+10 Population from Natural Growth

Earth Reclamation Command
Spoiler :

The Earth Reclamation Command continued to struggle this year with water shortages, leading to the deaths of several weaker people, not able to survive on the reduced rations. In order to help increase production, two new settlements were established, one at Mueller State Park to the west, and another at Fountain Valley to the southeast. The former was reinforced in its production with the construction of a pumping plant, draining the local lakes of water to help quench the thirst of the population. During the process of creating this settlement, the locals were surprised to discover several packs of rather large wolves in the region. The wolves seem to be not unlike pre-war wolves, just a bit larger and more vicious. Many were lost the wolves' surprisingly organized attacks. Fountain Valley was settled more easily and has begun producing food as well, further increasing the ERC's overall production.

Overseer's Challenge: While the food and water crisis has reached sustainable levels at the moment, we are still looking at further crisis in a year or two, as our stockpiles are still low. We are in desperate and obvious need of increasing our food and water production. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+600 Food, +100 Water, +600 Scrap Parts, +180 Food per turn, +50 Water per turn from Fountain Valley settlement
+370 Food, +300 Water, +80 Scrap Parts, +50 Food per turn, +250 Water per turn, -200 Scrap Parts, -5 Tech Parts, from Mueller Settlement
-30 Population, -275 Ammunition from Mueller Settlement Losses
+10 Food, +20 Water, +600 Scrap Parts from Peterson AFB Salvage teams
-10 Population from Water shortages

Fort Morgan Refuge
Spoiler :

The Fort Morgan Refuge had what can indubitably be called a very successful year. Though a crisis did arise when a tribe emerged from the north, heading towards Gulf Shores, they were discouraged from their advance by power-armored soldiers of Fort Morgan. They have instead established a settlement at Seminole, where they've begun eking out a moderately prosperous existence. They were offered the right to live within the boundaries of the Refuge, but refused when they were told they'd have to give up their weapons and probably even their slaves. Since then they've been independent, and only moderately hostile to Refuge scouts.

The Refuge expanded its borders a bit further this year, as they established a new farming settlement at Silverhill, bringing in more food and water production for the Fort's people. A new pumping station which has shown to even outproduce Gulf Shores was set up at Tarkiln, which has also acted as a base for salvagers into Pensacola and, more importantly, the Pensacola Naval Complex. A major expedition was launched into the Naval Complex this year, wiping out the robot defenses, while even converting some Mr. Gutsys to use by command of the people of Fort Morgan. More importantly, the people found what appeared to be a completely salvageable and usable destroyer sitting in harbor. While most of the other vessels were wrecked and wiped out by the bombs which dropped on the base and in Pensacola, this vessel appears to be in mostly working order, with a self-sustained reactor. Unfortunately, it is likely to take a number of tech parts and supplies to fix up the ship again to be seaworthy. Some have suggested simply removing the reactor and using it to produce energy back at home.

Overseer's Challenge: People have begun to go missing from our outlying settlements and scouting patrols. Our citizens blame the new slaver settlement at Seminole, but there is no proof as of yet. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+40 Food, +10 Water, +6 Tech Parts, +360 Ammunition, +20 1-H Guns, +100 Laser Weapons, +3 Mr. Gutsys, +15 Power Armor Suits from Pensacola Naval Complex expedition
-75 Ammunition from Pensacola Naval Complex expedition losses
+20 Food, +100 Water, -5 Tech Parts, -200 Scrap Parts, +600 Water per turn from settlement of Tarkiln
+200 Food, +100 Water, +400 Scrap Parts, +100 Food per turn, +10 Water per turn from settlement of Silverhill
+20 Population, +25 Food, +25 Water from Immigration
+15 Population from Natural Growth

Kritarchy of United Slavers
Spoiler :

The Kritarchy of United Slavers launched a renewed offensive into New Orleans this year to locate the theoretical queen of the spiders and destroy it in a surgical strike. The expedition went into the dark heart of the flooded city, and found only death and disaster. The hundred-man expedition was slowly picked off as they went through the city, in a manner rivaling pre-war horror flicks. Though they destroyed many spiders, there always seemed to be more, in additions to vicious unseen underwater creatures which seemed to devour men from the ground up. Only ten men managed to grab what weapons they could and escape the chaos. They came out with a strange looking briefcase and the following note, found in a shattered office building in the flooded city center.

Congratulations Members of Vault -Insert Number-! Your vault has been selected to possess Vault-Tec's miraculous terraforming device, the Garden of Eden Creation Kit, or GECK. Simply provide a fresh charge to the device and relocate it to the area of choice, then shelter yourself back within the vault or other bunker and let the magic happen. Within the space of a year, an area approximately fifty square miles in size will be turned into a veritable Eden of farming and soil quality. WARNING: Do not activate the GECK within a mountainous or urban area, the effects of the released energy may prove to be catastrophic and fail to work as advertised.

Overseer's Challenge: We produce plenty of food and water, but we have a lack of people to use it all. Our population remains low, and we are increasingly spread out with the constant disasters in New Orleans. Our people are exhausted and the slaves are getting rowdy. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+1 Deactivated GECK from New Orleans expedition
-40 Slaves, -50 Population, -130 Ammunition, -60 Low-Tech Melee Weapons, -20 1-H Guns, -10 2-H Guns from expedition into New Orleans losses
+5 Population converted from slaves
+15 Population, +10 Slaves from Natural Growth

Liberty Commonwealth
Spoiler :

The Liberty Commonwealth had another eventful year, as it surges towards ever greater prosperity, lurching away from a survivalist economy. Immigration began to pick up this year as Watertown began broadcasting its greatness to the people of the Imperial Wasteland. Lured by the appeal of security, as well as ample food and water, people have begun flocking to the city once more. This was particularly noticeable as a new pumping station opened in Gananoque, bringing the mostly clean water to the southern towns by steamship in large quantities. Hydroponics farms were created in both that town and Three Mile, helping to bolster the faction's food production as well as well as through standard increase of agricultural production.

One of the greatest achievements of the Liberty Commonwealth was the resolution of a long-standing problem which has exacerbated itself in recent years. The Cachino family, dominating control of the town of Perchtown had one final meeting with Mayor Marques in Watertown. Beginning with a threat of secession, Marques' appeal to Mayor Cachino awoke something inside of him, and people say his heart grew three sizes that day. Moved by the appeal, Cachino made a promise to do what was right for the Commonwealth, and revealed that he had set aside a large amount of production and assets in Perchtown for what he viewed as an inevitable civil war. Among these were the valued Mirelurk sets of armor as well as munitions and food and water production. They have all been released to the Commonwealth, and Cachino has vowed to never fall prey to ambition again.

The support of Perchtown came just in time to provide ammunition vitally needed in the defense of Watertown, which came under heavy attack late in the year. The defenders managed to repulse the attack, thanks to the extra ammunition from Cachino with few losses. Another attack took place at the community of Clayton, which managed to repulse the raiders with no losses except ammunition. Unfortunately, the town of Adams Center seems to not have been as fortunate, as the rest of the Commonwealth lost contact with it. When the caravan arrived there, it found only shattered buildings and skeletons.

Overseer's Challenge: The recent turning of Cachino has led to some dissatisfaction at Perchtown with him and his family. Some of the more vicious folk have seized control of the armory and have begun threatening the rest of the population. Cachino has appealed to Marques for support. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

-5 Population, -225 Ammunition from raider attack on Watertown
-50 Ammunition from losses at the defense of Clayton
-45 Population, -15 Low-Tech Melee Weapons from destruction of Adams Center
+100 Population, +100 Food per turn, +100 Water per turn, +150 Ammunition, +50 1-H Guns, +50 2-H Guns, +50 Mirelurk Armor Suits, +10% Loyalty from Cachino resolution
+400 Scrap Parts from in-town metal salvaging
+120 Food, +120 Water, +150 Scrap Parts from small scale salvage
+10 Food per turn in Clayton, +10 Food per turn in Lowville, +20 Water per turn in Perchtown from agricultural expansion
-50 Scrap Parts, -2 Tech Parts, +30 Food per turn, -30 Water per turn from Hydroponics Farm in Three Mile
-50 Scrap Parts, -2 Tech Parts, +20 Food per turn, -20 Water per turn from Hydroponics Farm in Ganaoque
-200 Scrap Parts, -10 Tech Parts, +5% Loyalty for construction of radio tower in Watertown
-200 Scrap Parts, -5 Tech Parts, +500 Water per turn in Gananoque
+50 Food, -50 Water from trade with Flour City
+60 Population, +60 Food, +50 Water from Immigration
+40 Population from Natural Growth

Narwhal Imperial Republic
Spoiler :

The Narwhal Legion, as it had been, ceased to exist this year as it reformed into what is now known as the Narwhal Imperial Republic. The leaders of each true town within the Republic have been promoted to Captain, acting as the leader of their own communities until death or resignation. This has essentially put the captains of each community on equal footing with the leader of Narwhal City. While Captain Ahab is still viewed as the most senior of the Narwhales and is allowed to preside over meetings in Narwhal City, he has only equal power to the other captains. This came with the establishment of the Narwhal couriers, who have aided in the distribution of supplies and munitions across the republic.

Immigration continued to increase throughout the rest of the year, as more people arrived from Vault 2, as well as from the rest of the wasteland. This came in turn with small increases in production across the Republic, working towards providing more food for the people. The various communities all also partook in some minor scavenging, bringing in new tech parts and scrap for use on various projects. Among these efforts came the deconstruction of the radio tower in Narwhal city, moving it to a more secure location from cazadors in Perth Amboy. Fortunately no one died in the effort. In other radio news, broadcasts were heard from the so-called Liberty Commonwealth from upstate. No official contact has been made as of yet, though it's entirely possible to do so.

A sizable expedition was sent from Fort Narwhal to the ruins of Philadelphia this year, a highly irradiated region from the large amount of bombs dropped in the area. Faced with the heavily ghoul and raider infested ruins, they were forced to set up a home base, and launch smaller expeditions into the city. So far the expedition has mostly been a failure, only returning enough salvage to feed and water the expedition, rather than anything of use. Nearly a dozen people have died in the expedition, which has yet to even penetrate into the heart of the city.

In New York City, it was reported by scouts that most of Brooklyn was leveled during a rash expedition by a large force of vault dwellers from Vault 2. Using lots of heavy weapons and laser weapons, they proceeded to wipe a solid path of destruction through the ruins, leveling buildings and pretty much destroying anything in their path.

Overseer's Challenge: Our new politics have led to Nyack developing a unique status of its own. The local residents seem to ignore what laws of the Narwhal Republic they find objectionable, but do the same for the rules of Vault 2. They seem to be happy and content without truly obeying either, how do we respond?
Spoiler :

+10% Loyalty from government reform
+10 Food, +20 Water, +50 Scrap Parts, +2 Tech Parts, +60 Ammunition, +10 1-H Guns from Perth Amboy scavenging
+60 Food, +60 Water, +250 Scrap Parts, +3 Tech Parts from Princeton scavenging
+60 Food, +60 Water, +1 Tech Part from Philadelphia Expedition salvage
-10 Population,-450 Ammunition, -10 Laser Weapons from Philadelphia Expedition losses
+300 Scrap Parts from Narwhal City Salvaging
-150 Ammunition from fending off Cazadors during radio move
+30 Food per turn at Fort Narwhal, +10 Food per turn at Perth Amboy from agricultural improvement
+20 Population from Vault 2 Immigration
+30 Population, +30 Food, +60 Water From immigration
+20 Population from Natural Growth

New Frostburk
Spoiler :

The faction of New Frostburk had a mostly quiet year as they dealt with a few internal issues. With a large part of the population being very young, crime and restlessness has grown exponentially. In response, labor farms have been established for those who partake in criminal activities, and they have seen marked improvement in production from this forced labor. Movie theaters were set up to provide more activity for these people, playing old holotapes from before the war, part of a salvaging effort in recent years as well as leftovers from the bunker. A new youth program known as the "Wanderers" has met with limited success and controversy as some parents are unsure about the wisdom of sending their young children on salvaging missions with the rest of the faction.

The town of Cresaptown, which appeared mysteriously last year, opened up trade with New Frostburk, providing them with Water in exchange for surplus food supplies. This trading relationship has been improved, as an embassy and clinic of sorts was set up in Cresaptown by the people of New Frostburk, providing medical services. Investigations into the town origins and food source have met with failure, as the Frostburkers have not been allowed into the buildings from which the food and water materialize. Other investigations claim that these people are an assortment of people from an abandoned settlement and other sorts, and they apparently arrived en masse at their current location and found it to be a suitable place to live.

The other big event which occurred was a major expedition to Rocky Gap, where a new settlement has been constructed. Rocky Gap was found to be home to a species of Mirelurk, and they inflicted a heavy toll upon the Frostburkers in a pitched battle as the lake was purged of their ilk. No traces of these beasts remain as the Frostburkers set up the foundations for a settlement there.

Overseer's Challenge: Some of the Wanderer groups have disappeared into the wastelands on recent expeditions. No one knows where they have gone, and some have feared foul play. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+30 Food per turn from increased food production from hard labor farms
-100 Scrap Parts, -4 Tech Parts, +70 Food per turn, -70 Water per turn from Hydroponics food production at New Frostburk
+20 Water from increasing well drilling at New Frostburk
+120 Food, +60 Water, +3 Tech Parts from Rocky Gap settlement
-20 Population, -80 Ammunition from Rocky Gap losses
-100 Food, +100 Water from Cresaptown trading
+60 Food, +80 Water, +50 Scrap Parts from Wanderers salvage
-5% Loyalty from Wanderers program
-100 Scrap Parts, -4 Tech Parts, +5% Loyalty from movie theaters
+15 Population from Immigration
+35 Population from Natural Growth

Spring Valley Food Corporation
Spoiler :

The Spring Valley Food Corporation has a blessedly quiet year, encountering only scattered groups of raiders and ghouls in the ruins of Omaha. They would be easily dispatched by the massive hunting groups send on various scavenging missions. The first of these was to several telecommunications companies, unfortunately finding most of their goals completely wrecked and with no usable technology. Only a fraction of what could have been found was able to salvaged, though plenty of scrap was found. A mission to food distribution centers met with similar results, finding hardly anything but some old food and scraps. The only truly successful mission was to several hunting stores, from which a fairly large amount of old rifles were recovered. A herd of what appeared to be mutated buffalo, called "bighorners" by the hunters, was stalked and killed for food, turning them away from the various settlements. Their meat was discovered not only to be edible, but delicious as well.

Overseer's Challenge: The bighorners have proven to be able to find sustenance in large amounts from the barren terrain of the wasteland. This seems to be a promising development, and some people have proposed attempting to catch these beasts and tame or corral them. This of course is likely to consume some of our scarce resources in the process. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+60 Food, +40 Water, +200 Scrap Parts, +50 Ammunition, +25 2-H Guns from Hunting store scavenging
-60 Ammunition, +40 Food from buffalo hunting
+300 Food, +200 Water, +600 Scrap Parts, +1 Tech Part from Food Distribution scavenging
-65 Ammunition from Food Distribution scavenging losses
+50 Food, +10 Water, +400 Scrap Parts, +2 Tech Parts from Telecommunications scavenging
+10 Population from Natural Growth

The Community
Spoiler :

The Community has had an incredibly quiet year, as efforts were consolidated back into Agrestic and its associated homesteads during a hunt for an alleged raider den. A large force of the best fighters in the Community were sent out into the wastes to track these raiders down, but no hideout was discovered in the nearby area. Furthermore, not a single raider materialized to attack either settlement, leaving many to believe the whole effort was an utter waste of resources.

Overseer's Challenge: A particularly adventurous group of young men has brought forth an interesting proposal. They want to take a large amount of food and weapons and make for an exploratory journey to the east. Hearing about the glories of the old days has made some of them want to see the ruins for themselves. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

-5% Loyalty from failed raider hunt
+25 Population from Natural Growth

Vault 100
Spoiler :

To the surprise to many both within and without the vault, Vault 100 reopened its great door to the wasteland this year. Once more, in order to assure the survival of the vault, due to the problems caused by a malfunctioning water chip, INAHAC has begun sending parties out into the wilderness. The first of these was an expedition to the northeast, a place called the Watervliet Arsenal. Located within, barely guarded by robots which were easily disabled thanks to accompanying Mr. Gutsys, was a plethora of various guns and munitions, claimed for the protection of the vault. Several other expeditions would be sent up the old Interstate 87, locating new "volunteers" for the Vault's experiments as well as looting various stores, including supermarkets and gun shops. Upon reopening themselves to the wasteland, the vault dwellers have been shocked to find numerous radio stations airing once again, one calling themselves the Narwhal Imperial Republic and another known as the Liberty Commonwealth.

The water chip problem was frequently considered by the best minds Vault 100 had to offer, unfortunately coming to the reluctant conclusion that it was irreplaceable, unless a new one could be obtained from another Vault. The so-called Narwhal Radio talked of nearby vaults, one of which could offer the replacement part needed. Now the problem is finding one of these vaults and surviving until then.

Overseer's Challenge: The reigning cult of Vault 100 has heard some of the broadcasts from the various radio stations of the wasteland, and has begun to denounce them as heresy and heathens. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

+20 Slaves, +200 Food, +250 Water, +300 Scrap Parts, +1 Tech Part, +60 Ammunition, +15 1-H Guns from I-87 expedition
+300 Food, +50 Water, +300 Ammunition, +30 1-H Guns, +60 2-H Guns, +20 Laser Weapons from Watervliet Arsenal expedition

Vault 2
Spoiler :

The population of Vault 2 had a rather eventful year, facing two strong challenges and emerging triumphant. The first of these was the discovery that the Vault's reactor could theoretically produce even more energy than it does, maybe even a surplus, despite some radioactive pollution as a result. Fortunately, the effort was made and thanks to radiation suits, has proven to even become a relatively safe process. The second major event of the year was a massive expedition to Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn. In order to reach the fort, the expedition used numerous laser and explosive weapons to clear a path through any problematic ruins or blockades. Ghouls and various other monsters were quickly vaporized, while slaves were quickly acquired from the human survivors in the ruins. Lastly, Joxer has reorganized the government slightly, establishing a council to which to delegate various tasks. Unfortunately, most of the people appointed have been cronies and most widely considered to be incompetent. This has led to resentment among much of the population.

Overseer's Challenge: The population in Nyack has begun selectively ignoring our decrees and laws, and choosing to follow some of the Narwhal Republic's rules. They seem to have developed an identity of their own and are content blending both cultures together. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

-5% loyalty from council intrigues
+60 Slaves, +100 Food, +300 Water, +400 Scrap Parts, +10 Tech Parts, +600 Ammunition, +50 1-H Guns, +30 2-H Guns, +80 Laser Weapons from Fort Hamilton Expedition scavenging
-10 Population, -925 Ammunition from Fort Hamilton Expedition losses
-5 Tech Parts, +1 Energy per turn thanks to adjustment of the Vault's reactor and suitable measures against radiation poisoning
-10 Slaves for sacrifice
-20 Population from Narwhal emigration
+50 Population from Natural Growth

Vutg
Spoiler :

The people of Vault 9 have had a very quiet year, undertaking several objectives, but overall not experiencing too much difficulty, particularly compared to the rest of the world. They went the entire year without seeing another living soul, free or raider, and continued to feel the isolation of their position. They continued to work on scientific tinkering, though failed to make any headway with roach armor, which has proven too soft and unworkable to be of any use. A team was able to capture a few ghouls which they have since imprisoned in the cells of the vault, and begun considering options. So far none have responded to English or standard conversation, raising questions about the intelligence of the creatures. The only other major event to take place was an expedition to the Scofield Reservoir, which was tested and proved to be mostly non-radioactive. Unfortunately, the region around the reservoir seems unsuitable for large scale farming, due to the nature of the soil.

Overseer's Challenge: The ghouls we captured have broken free and have begun randomly attacking people in the lower levels of the vault. How do we respond?
Spoiler :

Wild Wolves
Spoiler :

The Wild Wolves nearly faced disaster this year as a slave rebellion erupted in Homecave. A group of slaves, having been formerly survivors in the waste, managed to overpower their guards and seize control of the stockpiles in the faction's main base. Threatening destruction if they were not allowed to depart with weapons and supplies, the Wild Wolves unleashed their Protectrons and militia against the rebellious slaves. The slaves were slaughtered to a man, while those who survived were crucified on makeshift crosses. Unfortunately, the slaves managed to use the local ammunition to explode and destroy a large part of the food and water supplies in Homecave before they were defeated. Despite this setback, it seems to have put the remaining slaves in line with the brutal slaughter of their former friends.

A large expedition was sent from Homecave after the rebellion to return to Camp Blanding, using Rad-x and RadAway in an attempt to keep the bad effects of radiation at bay. They were mostly successful at this, though the Camp's food and water supplies were too irradiated to return to Homecave. Most of the base was leveled by Chinese bombs during the war, but they did manage to discover one untouched armory, retrieving a number of fairly high tech weapons and ammunition. The parts were all returned to Homecave, along with several slaves captured along the way. Unfortunately, the radiation was too intense to be completely neglected and a number of people passed away upon their return to the Homecave.

Alligators continued to be a problem for the people of both Homecave and Camp Forward, and about ten people were killed in the ongoing battle to find their nests. They have met with little success, still having trouble in finding the nests and living to tell the story. They continue to plague salvagers from Camp Forward, who have picked up their scavenging activity around the settlement.

Overseer's Challenge: Though the most serious cases have already passed away, there are several dozen people who have begun to show signs of radiation sickness from the expedition to Camp Blanding. While they are not likely to be immediately fatal, they continue to weaken and serve less of a practical purpose for the tribe. How do we respond towards these people?
Spoiler :

+20 Food, +120 Water, +200 Scrap Parts from Camp Forward scavenging
+20 Food per turn in Homecave, +40 Food per turn in Camp Forward from agricultural expansion
-10 Population, -10 Low-Tech Melee Weapons from Gator losses
-30 Population, -10 Slaves from residual Camp Blanding Expedition Casualties
+50 Slaves, +200 Scrap Parts, +400 Ammunition, +60 High-Tech Melee Weapons, +20 1-H Guns, +80 Laser Weapons, +10 Heavy Weapons from Camp Blanding Expedition
-600 Food, -100 Water, -60 Ammunition, -70 Slaves, -40 Population, +5% Loyalty from Slave Rebellion in Homecave
+100 Population, +15 Slaves from Natural Growth

OOC

As fun as the radio broadcasts are, I'm shutting down that element of my update, simply because they make the updates take so much longer. If you want specific broadcasts, my recommendation is to post them yourselves. Use common sense when determining if you can hear them in character or not. Of course the exception to this will be when something related to overall world events is to be foreshadowed in a radio broadcast

Thanks to a part of technojock's orders, I've determined to allow the conversion of Tech Parts into Energy. This will of course require a substantial amount of irreplacable Tech Parts, so ye've been warned. The costs for conversion will be in the Weapons post. To accommodate this the cost of converting Scrap into Tech Parts has been raised substantially from 100 to 500. This price increase was NOT considered with the spending in this update, so all orders have gone through.

@Anonymoose: I'm assuming the base for the salvage of Forrest-Sherman is Tarkiln, just because they are so close on the map, it's not worth creating two outposts.

@Milarqui: if you want to keep up a steady trade on the Lake, you're going to have to commit your steamship to it without any diversions from here on out all year long, simply because you have so much being produced in Gananoque to be shipped in anything less than a year, particularly in addition to trading with Flour City. Steamship expeditions for this turn were cancelled for this reason and not done from your orders.

@thomas berubeg: I think I got most of your distribution stuff, but it was really hard to read the way you had it set up, and I'm only sure that you have the proper amount of stuff, but not as sure it is all where it's supposed to be. You're really going to have to make it easier to read, it was hard working out what was what with it all so clumped together like that in your orders. Also, I divided the scrap you got from around Narwhal City in half, half went to ammunition, the other half went to the fortification.

Once again, I'd like to remind everyone that Overseer's Challenges are things that will happen in the next year, and not something that happened this year.

@Toteone: I'm afraid in New York City, the only thing below the roads is more New York City. You're really not going to have any luck with traditional farming within the city limits.

@Northern Wolf, if I'm correct in interpreting your orders, the slaves who pass the initiation are still slaves, but no longer just your typical drones. Is that correct?

@The Tyrant, flamers and incinerators count as Heavy Weapons, which can not be constructed at this point by any faction. I've counted your existing Heavy Weapons as Flamers for the purposes of this update and your orders, since you already have some on location.

World Map

Having issues

Top Bottom