Boycott Bee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ORLY?

No, it is never okay to call a woman the "c-word." Never. I'm no fan of Ivanka Trump; she's a hypocrite and just sooo cutesy in her posing with her father and Justin Trudeau in the Oval Office, but that said, I would not use that word about her.

I've been on the receiving end of that word, and it's not a word that inspires any positive reaction whatsoever. Instead it inspires intense dislike of the person using the word, and in my instance, it inspired additional disgust because of who said it.

Innocent... so she's stopped using outsourced sweatshop labor to manufacture her clothing line? It's all made in the U.S. now?

I have no respect for her hypocrisy, but would not cross the line that "comedian" did.

As I said earlier...it's a 'lose your mind word' and a fairly effective one. Inspiring intense dislike is basically its only function.

Just my opinion, TBS should not cancel/punish Samantha Bee. The insults and mean-spiritedness is intentional and good business, because exploiting political shadenfreude is a serious cash cow. In contrast, Roseanne's mean-spiritedness was unintentional/unstrategic and contrary to the appeal of her show.

People should shout that word at Ivanka Trump, constantly, everywhere she goes.

Not really. The apology was for the word choice, not the character assessment.
Yes, it's very spineless to intentionally cross a line and then immediately apologize when you don't get the desired response.

Unless the argument is that she somehow did not know the connotations of the word beforehand, which is basically impossible for someone doing her job, she wanted to say something provocative, got backlash and immediately apologized for being provocative. How pathetic is that?

The tortured logic by which Americans have convinced themselves that "the c-word" is some sort of slur, and not just a perfectly ordinary swearword, like all the other swearwords you know and love, is more offensive to human dignity than the word itself could ever be.

I mean, grow up, jeez.

Yes, it's very spineless to intentionally cross a line and then immediately apologize when you don't get the desired response.

Unless the argument is that she somehow did not know the connotations of the word beforehand, which is basically impossible for someone doing her job, she wanted to say something provocative, got backlash and immediately apologized for being provocative. How pathetic is that?

I'd call it calculated. There is no doubt that she knew there would be backlash, and knew she would be apologizing. But the end result is that once the word choice has done its job and brought far more attention than she would otherwise command and the apology is done what remains is the character assessment, which can now be assessed. Is that character assessment basically correct, barring the shockingly vulgar word choice? I'd say yes.

Instead it inspires intense dislike of the person using the word, and in my instance, it inspired additional disgust because of who said it.

As a derogatory term, isn't the typical usage of the word implying that the disgust is mutual, or at least that insult is intended?

I'd imagine being called an idiot by someone you know is wrong would elicit similar disgust. Really any childish insult backed by strong negative emotion should do this trick. I'm not particularly inclined to elevate some of these over others.

If you want to conclude "it's not okay to call people names/insults" in a general sense and imply that criticisms should be factual and directly based on actions, I would broadly agree with this (though noting that is *routinely* violated even on this subforum). I'm not sure how much punishment someone should get for inappropriate insults though. Few news tidbits have gotten as tiresome as social outcry.

The tortured logic by which Americans have convinced themselves that "the c-word" is some sort of slur, and not just a perfectly ordinary swearword, like all the other swearwords you know and love, is more offensive to human dignity than the word itself could ever be.

I mean, grow up, jeez.
You are wrong. In the US the C word is and has been derogatory towards women for a long time. Its use has gone beyond a name for a body part and become degrading, often meaning that the target is nothing more than that body part and its usefulness to men. Dick and dickhead went down the same path years earlier. They are more benign now and accepted. In time the same may apply to our word of the day.

Rightwing racism is trying to become acceptable again, so deserves to be squished. Whether or not people can use in-group slurs is a different question

Weird. I'd say that's the same conversation with a different subject. And a conversation that's definitely going to have to be had when Black Panther is awesome and can do what it does with actual broad mainstream appeal, and it's not just Black Panther, it's everywhere*. The out-group in-group not alloweds are going to get more complicated to navigate and in an arena that is more ubiquitously recorded.

*!!!! Yay!

Last edited:
I'd imagine being called an idiot by someone you know is wrong would elicit similar disgust. Really any childish insult backed by strong negative emotion should do this trick. I'm not particularly inclined to elevate some of these over others.

The amount of strong negative emotion that is 'pre-loaded' varies widely. It also varies from person to person, obviously. Some people are highly susceptible to childish insults about their intelligence such as 'idiot,' others will just shrug those off, for example. My experience with using 'lose your mind' words indicates that this particular vulgarity, probably because of outright shock value, is more effective than most for provoking a visible outburst from nearly any woman.

And white house be like: Can we copystrike Samantha Bee?

Rightwing racism is trying to become acceptable again, so deserves to be squished. Whether or not people can use in-group slurs is a different question
I'm not even sure it's an in-group/out-group thing, in this case. I'll grant that a man calling a woman "the c-word" makes me flinch a little, and I generally avoid doing so myself. Too many men think it's slur, and use it as such, for it to be entirely comfortable.

But men using it to refer to other men isn't any more troublesome than women using it to describe women, or women using it to describe men, or in its peculiarly Glaswegian use as a gender-neutral pronoun. The dynamic is purely between women and men, and moreover a between women and a certain kind of man. And in the mouth of guys like that, otherwise innocuous words like "*****" [edit: "the b-word", then, don't waste any monocles on my account] or, hell, "feminist" take on an uncharacteristic sourness.

The problem isn't the word so much as the way it has been taken up by misogynists, and they've staked out this weird, undeserved claim over its meaning precisely because it's regarded with an exaggerated horror by otherwise right-thinking people.

The amount of strong negative emotion that is 'pre-loaded' varies widely. It also varies from person to person, obviously. Some people are highly susceptible to childish insults about their intelligence such as 'idiot,' others will just shrug those off, for example. My experience with using 'lose your mind' words indicates that this particular vulgarity, probably because of outright shock value, is more effective than most for provoking a visible outburst from nearly any woman.

I know you're right in that sense, but when you think about the reason some things set people off and not other things it's kind of fascinating.

And white house be like: Can we copystrike Samantha Bee?

After seeing how YouTube/Facebook/etc operate it's clear enough that you can copystrike anything.

And in the mouth of guys like that, otherwise innocuous words like "*****"

I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the navy seals...

Too many men think it's slur, and use it as such, for it to be entirely comfortable.

Again, this is not my experience, at least in the US. There are plenty of words that are widely recognized for their general slur against women capacity, but this one, perhaps because of its relatively limited usage, is generally interpreted as being a very target specific insult of the highest order and not any sort of general slur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom