Brave New World announced!

i hope you do get sopols quicker. i've had games where either me or the other civs have not adopted any of the modern sopols so there is no real ideological struggle. if cultural victory is about spreading your culture around now then i don't see why you shouldn't be able to get sopols quicker

tech trading is a really good idea. it means i won't be spending ww1-ww2 researching only one or two of the ww1-ww2 techs and is more similar to real life

not so sure about the caravans being physical units. undoubtedly they've come up with a way to have economic, civilian, and military units on a tile, but does it mean that 8-9 critical extra units per civ will mean longer processing times?

when did the devs announce the release date for GaK's. About a month or two before.

It sounds like Firaxis is striving to keep as many of the new mechanics on the map as possible:

- Trade routes are literal caravans that can be attacked.
- Culture flipping is back and aided by mini-Wonders that you can see in the city screen.
- Archaeologist units have to find actual places on the map.

This is excellent. It really takes advantage of what 1UPT can offer.

It sounds like Firaxis is striving to keep as many of the new mechanics on the map as possible:

- Trade routes are literal caravans that can be attacked.
- Culture flipping is back and aided by mini-Wonders that you can see in the city screen.
- Archaeologist units have to find actual places on the map.

This is excellent. It really takes advantage of what 1UPT can offer.

Good points, I agree with you.

I am a little worried about how fiddly the new features will make the game, but the World Congress is a much-needed addition, and adding specific works of art to the game should give it some extra long-time appeal.

As for the rulers, I'm going to guess Ashurbanipal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashurbanipal is going to be the Assyrian leader. He was known for culture. Assyria will probably get a militaristic bonus and some cultural building or other. Maybe they win in culture wars more easily, or some such.

Portugal, Zulus, Majapahit, Sioux, Kongo, Assyrians, Poland, Israel/Sumeria, Brazil/Gran Colombia would be my guesses for the civs. More than 2 European civs would be terrible for this expansion.

Wow, this looks incredible. International trade routes with real units is a great idea. Also, the archeology is a much needed late-game exploration mechanic. That should really keep things fresh when all of the map has already been explored. I'm also thrilled that Poland is in. Great news all around.

I know one thing. Culture flipping was very annoying in CiIV. When CiV came out, I was glad to see it removed. I can't believe they'd bring it back now in the 2nd expansion. Maybe it can be turned off. I would imagine that would be an option.

However, one thing culture flipping will do is cause more wars. Losing an important resource to culture could cause anger in many various situations. On second thought perhaps it will make the game better in that regard. Say goodbye to peaceful games. :)

I hate culture flipping and always disabled it in CivIV anyway. Hexes flipping would be the return of a mechanic that actually sucked.

Also, if there are only two scenarios, I will actually be kinda disappointed since Gods and Kings came with three good ones.

I know one thing. Culture flipping was very annoying in CiIV. When CiV came out, I was glad to see it removed. I can't believe they'd bring it back now in the 2nd expansion. Maybe it can be turned off. I would imagine that would be an option.

However, one thing culture flipping will do is cause more wars. Losing an important resource to culture could cause anger in many various situations. On second thought perhaps it will make the game better in that regard. Say goodbye to peaceful games. :)

I rarely had a problem with culture flipping in CivIV, it's usually not a problem, even on higher difficulties. I do however think that it's more interesting how a strong opposing culture will challenge the player now with Brave New World, as it actually creates more tension around culture and adds a bit of realism too.

It does remain to be seen if we can see a clear effect on the AI when their culture is far inferior to that of the player, given how so far the AI often swims in happiness.
Regardless though, do you really prefer a more static culture system where you only build culture buildings waiting for 5 social policy trees to fill up so you can built the Utopia Project? I've done it once on Immortal and it's not really an exciting prospect to go for that victory again. I bet you'll be fine with the new culture system if you take a little time to learn how it works :).

On the other hand, the idea that political borders line up neatly with cultural majorities is just as bad, even if it is a more active system.

On the other hand, the idea that political borders line up neatly with cultural majorities is just as bad, even if it is a more active system.

Will Tourism add to cultural borders? I got the impression it didn't add to territory.

Will Tourism add to cultural borders? I got the impression it didn't add to territory.

It doesn't seem to. I meant that about the idea of city-flipping via culture in general.

I rarely had a problem with culture flipping in CivIV, it's usually not a problem, even on higher difficulties. I do however think that it's more interesting how a strong opposing culture will challenge the player now with Brave New World, as it actually creates more tension around culture and adds a bit of realism too.

It does remain to be seen if we can see a clear effect on the AI when their culture is far inferior to that of the player, given how so far the AI often swims in happiness.
Regardless though, do you really prefer a more static culture system where you only build culture buildings waiting for 5 social policy trees to fill up so you can built the Utopia Project? I've done it once on Immortal and it's not really an exciting prospect to go for that victory again. I bet you'll be fine with the new culture system if you take a little time to learn how it works :).

Hah! I did and was never so unlucky! :lol: See it depends on what map you are playing. If you are playing a map where you are squashed in with other civs, culture flipping can really be a pain.

I don't play for cultural victory, currently it is rather boring. Perhaps it will become much more interesting. As far as learning how it works, that will go for all of us. The same goes for the rest of the new features. I will certify this, we will all master them in no time.

Now the question I have with culture flipping is, is it border flipping or city flipping? If it is city flipping they must be out of their minds. Cities should not change hands through culture, but through war, or trade. For the most part war. To change this now is rather odd. If culture affects cities it should be through immagration and population, reduction of happiness perhaps, but not ownership. That is how I see it anyway.

Top Bottom