Brave New World announced!

So, SP trees are gone and will be replaced by 3 levels of ideaoligies you can mix and match? I wonder if espionage will be expanded on? I feel it should be. Hopefully warmongering isn't hurt by the way culture has been redone.

The new trade system is going to change the game in a huge way. I like the new changes in that direction. Much more realistic.

It really irritated me when there was so much hate for civ V when it was first released. People were trying to compare a brand new game to Civ 4 BTS, a game that was highly polished and refined after many expansions and patches. It was just ridiculous to compare the two.

I knew all along that civ V vanilla was bare bones, and that it would get much better over time. Once this new expansion is released, it will put civ 4 to shame. But I'm sure there are a few civ 4 fanboys who will refuse to even look at civ 5, just because they had a bad experience with civ 5 vanilla before it was even patched.

So, SP trees are gone and will be replaced by 3 levels of ideaoligies you can mix and match?

The way I understand it is that Order/Freedom/Autocracy are still sopols, but there are branches within each one tailored to your preferred victory condition. So you can go Autocracy and still be competetive in a science victory. Or Freedom ... Domination.

One article mentioned tech trading hands in the World Congress. Are we going to hold a vote so that Hiawatha has to share his discovery of gunpowder with the world?

Would be kind of neat. I guess you can refuse to trade the tech but that would give you negative diplomacy.

The way I understand it is that Order/Freedom/Autocracy are still sopols, but there are branches within each one tailored to your preferred victory condition. So you can go Autocracy and still be competetive in a science victory. Or Freedom ... Domination.

Ok that sounds more in depth.

On another note...With the new trade system and sea routes, subs should become much more important in warfare.

One article mentioned tech trading hands in the World Congress. Are we going to hold a vote so that Hiawatha has to share his discovery of gunpowder with the world?

I certainly hope one could get everyone to denounce or sanction Hiawatha and his Keshiks for burning down New York after having them handed to him as part of a "Peace deal"

The new expansion seems to be geared to culture in a huge way. I am not sure about how I feel about it just yet. If I want to play a domination victory, which I usually do. After all my favorite thing is military history. Having other civs try to change my addiction to warmongering through cultural pressure, could get rather annoying, but we'll see.

There needs to be more unveiled for me to hand over 30 bucks, what about new resources? How many resolutions are we talking about.

This is perfect, I for one welcome the changes but am interested to see how polices, economy, diplo, and ideologies work... I hope that it allows for you to chose a government title along with it kinda like name your own religion aspect to the ideologies... Other than that this is indeed a great day!!!!

Only things I am worried about is if there are too many caravans.

Also I was never a fan of tech trading in Civ 4. If its a late game thing that is handled only by the World Congress, then I wouldn't mind as much

I'm not worried about the trade routes too much. It sounds like you start with 1 land and 1 sea to make as you see fit. And you likely get more later on by getting new eras or techs and there's probably a civ that starts with an extra one.

I'm not worried about the trade routes too much. It sounds like you start with 1 land and 1 sea to make as you see fit. And you likely get more later on by getting new eras or techs and there's probably a civ that starts with an extra one.

...like the Mahajapit or Srivijaya!

Or some other Swahili City-State, or a coalition between all of them to pass as a Civ. The whole Scramble for Africa scenario may be able to emphasize on this.

-International trade routes - send physical units back and forth with other civs, but Science/Religion/etc. can "leak out" to other civs along the way.
-Cities in the same civ can share food, production, and more with internal trade routes.

Hahaha.

Hahahahaha.

No, but seriously, these two features alone are the reasons I'm buying the expansion pack. Don't care about new civilizations, UU, UAs, UBs. Hell, even though the world congress and ideologies are great ideas, the above two features alone are still worth buying the xpack alone.

No one has any idea how happy this makes me. I've been yelling for international trade routes since release, and global food is something I've even started a thread about in the suggestions.

When it comes to economics, Brave New World wants to augment base Civilization V with the introduction of International Trade Routes. Now you'll be able to build caravan and cargo ship units, setting them up so they automatically travel back and forth between your city and that of a foreign civilization. As long as you're not at war, you both gain gold and other resources from the deal, which can work against you. Science, Religion and other resources that could be important to your path to victory will leak out to the civilizations you trade with. The units operating the trade routes can also be attacked, allowing you to disrupt other civilization's trade routes if you go to war with them.

Hopefully, luxuries, strategics, and bonus resources contribute to the value of a trade route. I remember playing a Empires of the Smokey Skies game and one of the five was surrounded with spices, and was the only guy with spices. Honestly, if he had had a port and could form trade routes, that city would be extremely lucrative.

It would also be nice if City A and City C had a trade route, and City B rested on that trade route, it would generate a little extra for whoever owns City B.

I'm not how I feel about adding more needed units. The idea is cool, but 1IUPT can quickly turn caravans into a problem. I would've personally favored just creating a trade routes overlay, with trade routes between two cities being marked as the quickest path between two points. It would've opened up to quite a bit of fun in the form of strategically placed cities and clever road-building. At sea, the only change needed would be to make harbors emit a two-hex range that magnets in trade routes.

Bonus points if joining routes worked. If City A traded spices to City B, and City C traded whales to City B, whales would be added to the value of the trade between A and B, and spices to the value between B and C, making B a juicy target.

Oh well. It'll be interesting to read more about the feature as we get closer to release.

Top Bottom