Brave New World's 9 new Civs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argentina has a better case than Brazil in my opinion (being neither Argentine nor Brazilian). Brazil got in on the strength of being an increasingly relevant modern economy, yet its economic power is still below that of Canada (not included as a civ, and I consider deservedly not). Argentina (as the United Provinces) arguably has a longer history of regional dominance in South America. On the downside the major option for a leader - Roca - would not be a good choice due to his ostracisation in modern Argentina, due to the campaign of extermination he led against indigenous peoples.

What are you saying? Argentina lost every war against Imperial Brazil! The only time when they were arguably more powerful than Brazil was early 20th century.

It seems evident from the stereotypical UA (Carnival) given to Brazil that the designers were struggling to justify its inclusion, and they've admitted it was included because of fan pressure, suggesting that the designers didn't necessarily find it inherently worthy or interesting.

They chose that UA because they needed a tourism-related civ. It wasn't very fitting of Brazilian history, but gameplay comes first I guess. I would prefer something that reflect Brazil as an exporter of plantation luxuries....

And I need to see where they mentioned specifically only because of fan pressure.

Also I don't get where you get smaller economic power than Canada from. It has the 6th largest GDP in the world (Behind the US, China, Japan, Germany, and France)

The point is, it is not enough to be, the key-feature is more important. So Argentina, football believers or Germans' shelter? Not too much civ (game) related. UB stadion at best.

Australia fits better. First, it can be tourism related. Sheep population might be used. Finally, it is the whole continent (not occupied territory; easy city list).

Argentina, why not? Answer is simply, there is limited pool of new civs and there is no reply to 'why yes?'. Add Chile and Paraguay.

Argentina is not in the same boat as Paraguay and is definitely more than "football believers" and "Germans' shelters". It has a lot of potential unique elements, such as Gauchos (UU), Caudillos (UGP), Estancias (UI) and Tango Salons (UB). Essentially it could be a nice expansive, cultural and/or agricultural civ. It also has amazing leaders. I don't really know how Australia could fit better.

I'd personally prefer Argentina over 'Gran' Colombia and most modern potential civs - and I'm a Brazilian, so that means something ;)

Argentina is not in the same boat as Paraguay and is definitely more than "football believers" and "Germans' shelters". It has a lot of potential unique elements, such as Gauchos (UU), Caudillos (UGP), Estancias (UI) and Tango Salons (UB). Essentially it could be a nice expansive, cultural and/or agricultural civ. It also has amazing leaders. I don't really know how Australia could fit better.

I'd personally prefer Argentina over 'Gran' Colombia and most modern potential civs - and I'm a Brazilian, so that means something ;)

Colombia gets priority simply because of Bolívar. Much like the Huns are in because of Attila. And I agree that Australia definitely doesn't fit better.

I don't think Polynesia was necessary. Scotland would've been nicer than Polynesia or the Celts. But we are fans; we tell Firaxis what we want & they implement it into their Civilization games/expansion/DLCs

I don't think Polynesia was necessary. Scotland would've been nicer than Polynesia or the Celts. But we are fans; we tell Firaxis what we want & they implement it into their Civilization games/expansion/DLCs

Personally I much prefer Polynesia to Scotland. Their culture and historical is far more impressive to me anyhow.

Personally I much prefer Polynesia to Scotland. Their culture and historical is far more impressive to me anyhow.

Don't know what you were referring to specifically when you say impressive but for me it's as something as sheer geographical prowess (even though the culture is pretty neat):

Spoiler :

Don't know what you were referring to specifically when you say impressive but for me it's as something as sheer geographical prowess (even though the culture is pretty neat):

Spoiler :

The fact that they were capable of spreading so far and wide in such a harsh environment is an achievement in and of itself, but the cultures as a whole is unique and interesting. I would be extremely disappointed to not see them return in Civ VI at some point.

Scotland isn't "necessary" either, though. One thing I would like to hear the folks at Firaxis talk about a bit more in-depth is what exactly it is that goes into the decision-making, that way when we have these conversations we would have a better set of criteria to point to in terms of likelihood.

Scotland isn't "necessary" either, though. One thing I would like to hear the folks at Firaxis talk about a bit more in-depth is what exactly it is that goes into the decision-making, that way when we have these conversations we would have a better set of criteria to point to in terms of likelihood.

This so much. Getting an idea of their entire process behind the scenes is as interesting to me as the game itself

And I need to see where they mentioned specifically only because of fan pressure.

From what I heard, a third of the civs in BNW are for the fans, the other two thirds tying in with new game mechanics. Although there is a lot of fan pressure for Brazil, I think Brazil was mostly considered for the tourism tie in. I think Poland, Assyria and the Zulu already take up the fan third.

Wait, you missed Assyria on your list, who are confirmed to be in. You also included Sumeria, Olmecs and Congo, all confirmed to not be in and ignored Italy/Venice (odds on to be in) and any Asian Civs...

ops yeah, sorry I will correct:

1-Poland
2-Brasil
3-Portugal
4-Zulu
5-Assyria
6-Ghana/Swahili
6-Thai
7-Morroco
8-Champa*
9-Majapahit**

I would prefer to have Khmer than Sioux.
*The Champa Kingdom was an important Asian culture, located along the coastal plains of southern and central Vietnam, between about AD 192 and 1832.

**From Java, they controlled all Indonesia territory including Kamboja ( Campa ), Singapore ( Temasek ),some of Phillipine, biggest part of Malaysia, all Kalimantan/ Borneo, biggest part of Papua even some of our Historian says at its height they succesfull controlled Madagascar in east africa.

just for who wants to know, here are the greates african civilizations before europeans:

And a map of Europe,Asia from 1200 (Spain didnt even exist):

**From Java, they controlled all Indonesia territory including Kamboja ( Campa ), Singapore ( Temasek ),some of Phillipine, biggest part of Malaysia, all Kalimantan/ Borneo, biggest part of Papua even some of our Historian says at its height they succesfull controlled Madagascar in east africa.

Forget all the trade/culture/etc stuff. This alone will make me smh until they finally get into Civ

Forget all the trade/culture/etc stuff. This alone will make me smh until they finally get into Civ

they DEFEATED the Mongols and created the largest empire in SE-Asia

I think i made a very good list because most of those civs are very good for whats this expansion pack is about - Trade and Tourism.

The fact that they were capable of spreading so far and wide in such a harsh environment is an achievement in and of itself, but the cultures as a whole is unique and interesting. I would be extremely disappointed to not see them return in Civ VI at some point.

I would like to see them in Civ VI, but as separate Maori, Hawaiian and (maybe) Rapa Nui civs. I hate to see them gathered all together, as they had no contact with each other, just a similar origin.

Colombia gets priority simply because of Bolívar. Much like the Huns are in because of Attila.

I don't get why Bolivar gets so much precedence over other, more important factors to some people. Bolivar was a great general/liberator, but what else? Why does the fact that he created a bunch of unstable nations give him and Gran Colombia priority status? I'm sorry, I'm not questioning his importance, but I want people to think about what came of his accomplishments in the long run, because I did and I just don't understand why he's given such importance. I don't want anyone to explain it to me, because I've heard the arguments, but to me Bolivar is not worth the inclusion of a nothing civ at the expense of a more deserving one.

Oh Simon Bolivar, will you return to lead your people once more? Will you build a civilization to stand the test of time?

~12 years later~

Wow. Guess not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom