• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Breaking news: Breathing now to be regulated

You know, this wouldn't have happened if free market forces & private philanthropy had properly allocated & regulated breathing via the invisible hand.

I didn't mean you couldn't use it, I meant that the correlation between climate change denial and support for the war on terror, while not automatically implying causation, is a powerful hint. It points you towards a conclusion.

Ah, my apologies then, I misunderstood your earlier post.

The government AINT telling me when to breath and not to breath!

Wait you mean you guys live in countries where the government DOESN'T regulate your breathing? That's madness. I have a breathometer installed in my house which informs me to breathe at 15 second intervals. It used to be 10 seconds but the government decided increase it because it was becoming too costly. Failure to comply with breathing regulation results in termination of breathing rights for a certain duration.

Look on the bright side. Breathing less will probably lead to more premature deaths, so there will be a reduced strain on public infrastructure into the future. Good government planning, I say.

I saw this movie. Ronnie Cox shuts off the oxygen, but Arnold Schwartzneggar has an awesome fight with Michael Ironside en route to using an alien device to give everyone free air.

This thread is now about Total Recall.

Don't hold your breath on this one.

Funny, but below you Jolly.

-----

I listened to conservative radio this morning and almost vomited from the BS. They were all...

OH!! Now WE are a TOXIN!!!

WE, that's right, PEOPLE!

You know, the plants make oxygen and take our CO2... but NOW LIFE IS TOXIC!

How long before they start killing people?!

And last night, regarding Copenhagen...

President Obama, just so you know any international treaty, ACCORDING TO THE CONSTITUTION, must be approved by congress!! So don't go thinking you can just sign our future off and get away with it!! Congress will stop you!11!!

As if the president, a constitutional scholar, does not know this. Hell, the average idiot american knows this... that's why UN Resolutions get signed but not ratified all the time. To pretend that we need to remind Obama about how we ratify UN resolutions is just ******ed. And it goes further... the radio people are like...

Obama, if you sign away our future, it will be unconstitutional!!11!!

As if no president has signed a UN resolution before (hell, some have even been ratified). As if, when he signs something (as we often do with no intention of ratification, just like the rest of the UN)... he will have violated the constitution and should be impeached for doing so.

/rant

Here in Canada we already pay 2 cents per cubic metre of oxygen inhaled.

The nitrogen you inhale is only taxed in Manitoba, though.

That's a CO2 tax of a cent a day? Sounds like poor people will soon be taxed out of existence through not being able to afford to breathe.

Wait you mean you guys live in countries where the government DOESN'T regulate your breathing? That's madness. I have a breathometer installed in my house which informs me to breathe at 15 second intervals. It used to be 10 seconds but the government decided increase it because it was becoming too costly. Failure to comply with breathing regulation results in termination of breathing rights for a certain duration.
Slow breathing has been linked with reduced blood pressure and stress. Slow-breathing exercises make people feel better. Your country must be a very contented one.

A few calculations show how to include breathing in pollution calculations:
the prices (in trading schemes) of a tonne of CO2 (assuming a tonne to be 1,000 kg; I don't know if it's metric or Imperial, or if there's much of a difference) have been between $2 and $7.
So for five dollars, how long can you breathe?

Well, at average CO2 production, I make it 1178 days, which we can round to 3 years in case you do some exercise.

That certainly sounds swingeing enough to make people stop breathing.

Let's compare that to a car, which produces a tonne of CO2 in 3,000 miles, taking nice round figures from Google. The average UK car does 10,000 to 12,500 miles a year, so each year the car has produced three times as much CO2 as the family has.

In the US the average mileage might be more like 20,000, the CO2 production will be higher and the car ownership levels higher, multiplying those production levels by quite a lot. I have no idea about the actual figures, but I can guess more like 15 tonnes of CO2 a year, 10 times as much as the family.

Of course, CO2 emissions allowances have been grossly underpriced, so let's triple that cost to 20 dollars.
For 20 dollars a year in CO2 tax your family gets to breathe. You also pay an extra 300 dollars for a car. That's less than the additional premium charged to innocent young men who have never had an accident in their lives who want to drive a car.
Yet no-one makes a huge fuss about the toxic nature of car insurance which punishes the innocent.

Slow breathing has been linked with reduced blood pressure and stress. Slow-breathing exercises make people feel better.

IIRC, that study was biased because they included bong hits.

I've just looked up an old US government article which shows roughly 1 kg CO2 produced per 1kWhr of electricity.
The US energy consumption per capita is 10kW. I have no idea how much of that is individual and how much business, so I'll arbitrarily halve it to represent a person's consumption.

There are 8760 hours in a year, and at 5 kW that's 43,800 kWh. That's 44 tonnes of CO2, or another 876 dollars a year in CO2 tax from energy consumption.

Sure, it's noticeable. It might even be noticeable enough for people to stop wasting it.

If we assume that even the business costs will be passed on, and profits or efficiency won't make up for the business half, we can double the extra cost to the American consumer to 1,700 dollars a year.

Compared to the 7 dollars you'll pay for breathing it's quite a lot more.

Would you like examples to the contrary?
What would be the point? I didn't argue a "for all X, effect Y" hypothesis to be disproved by a counterexample, but a "lions are dangerous, here are examples of lions mauling people" warning. Examples of metaphorical lions not mauling people wouldn't really affect my point, which is that it's a bad idea to give government power that they can stretch into incredibly wide-ranging and totalitarian restrictions.

Well farting is still not regulated, so I guess you will have to wait a long time for breathing as well then? There is probably something in there that they could get you for even now under that act.

In fact in my household farting IS regulated and since I'm the major offender I'll add that the wife has had limited success with her regs I'm happy to say.

Animal farts however are considered by Kyoto are they not?

Well farting is still not regulated, so I guess you will have to wait a long time for breathing as well then? There is probably something in there that they could get you for even now under that act.

Gas stations in Sweden have signs at the road reading: "Fart In ->"

Our government already tells some people not to breathe anymore.

Cleo

Top Bottom