British 18th Century Pack: North America (May 27, 2008)

Another thought viz. Knights vs. Napoleonic Cavalry: although Knights charged en masse, they were essentially independent warriors who happened to fight together. Later cavalry formations were just that - formations - trained in different tactics with different effect.

-Oz

Within the framework of a scenario I can possibly see a weaker unit replacing a stronger one at certain times however I do not think it makes much sense for an epic game.
On Knights, yes they were noblemen, however there true downfall was the ability of armies to field large numbers of untrained common men armed with harquebus. Knights had been increasing their armor over time to combat missile weapons and finally they reached the point of becoming ineffective. And the harquebus formations were still protected by pikemen. The ratio of pike to gunpowder decreased over time as gunpowder weapons became more effective and also the advent of the bayonet.
Sandris makes a very good point concerning mounted or even dismounted bowmen. Even as late as 1880's US Cavalry was experiencing the disparity caused by the higher rate of fire the Native Americans could use against them. The mindset had become that a larger caliber with greater range was better for military use than smaller caliber weapons. This mindset continued until the Viet Nam War and can still be seen even today with the number of people that do not understand the utility of the 5.56mm round. Warfare experienced many changes over time and implementing them into the scope of a game can be at times challanging.
I do not think enough people take into account the scale of C3C and realize that the A/D and HP values assigned to a unit represent a number of different factors.

Amazing pack ! Same critics as for the "Coureur des bois", some anims have been seen many many times... Also I've noticed something: in the first pic (top left) the unit has his hand far from the trigger while shooting! He won't do no harm!!!

Amazing pack ! Same critics as for the "Coureur des bois", some anims have been seen many many times... Also I've noticed something: in the first pic (top left) the unit has his hand far from the trigger while shooting! He won't do no harm!!!
I'd rather see 25 units with 25 times the same animation than 2 units with 2 different animations.

Sandris, if it can help you to fill gaps, reusing stuff so you can concentrate on modelling and texturing, don't change anything!

Sandris, I continue to be impressed with your models. You keep things simple but accurate, and the result is absolutely perfect at Civ-scale. Great work!

Sandris, I continue to be impressed with your models. You keep things simple but accurate, and the result is absolutely perfect at Civ-scale. Great work!

Micaelus, thank you very much ! As for me your units are greater, especially your excellent animations !!! Your serious approach to unitmaking is very appreciated. :):goodjob:

Even as late as 1880's US Cavalry was experiencing the disparity caused by the higher rate of fire the Native Americans could use against them. The mindset had become that a larger caliber with greater range was better for military use than smaller caliber weapons. This mindset continued until the Viet Nam War and can still be seen even today with the number of people that do not understand the utility of the 5.56mm round.

Can we have more details on these two points, please ?

The US Calvary used the Springfield Model 1873 Carbine it was a single-shot breech loading weapon chambered for the .45/55 metallic cartridge. It was capable of killing at 600 yards.
The smaller cartridge lever-action Winchester Model 1873, caliber .44/40, had an effective range of only 200 yards. However it had a much higher rate of fire. The US Military was well aware of the differences in range and rate of fire but decided that long range accuracy was more important than rate of fire. However the Native American Indians were highly adept at using cover and concealment to get in close eliminating the range advantage of the larger round.
This thinking of range and accuracy continued well into the twentieth century. The first break away from large caliber long range weapons was the M-16 which used a 5.56mm round rather than the 7.62mm round that was used in the M-14.
The M-14 had greater range however because of the M14's powerful 7.62x51mm cartridge, the weapon was virtually uncontrollable in fully automatic mode. It should be noted however that the M-14 continues in service as an intermediate sniper rifle under the designation of M-21.
The reason the Army switched to a smaller lighter weapon / round was because after conducting studies it was found that most combat takes place at short range. In a highly mobile war, combat teams ran into each other largely by surprise; and the team with the higher firepower tended to win. They also found that the chance of being hit in combat was essentially random — that is, accurate "aiming" made little difference because the targets no longer sat still.

That probably look like a stupid question for a lot of peoples here, but what of theses units can be used as "normal" (rather than "north american") english units for an english civ ?

P.S. Oh, and i just see you answered my other question, Badkharma. Thank you (yes, i'm slow).

First of all: I love this series of units! Great job!

I hate to resonate the echo chamber, but I would really love some more Continental Army units. In particular: marines, light infantry, dragoons, and Morgan's Rifle Corps.
Sandris hasn't posted any work in a while, but there are other compatible sets. Like Baalam-Agab's (check his recent East India Company era sets) & imperator1961's body of work, for example.

Top Bottom