• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BtS] DIPLOMACY: a mod for Diplogames!

Any ideas about the ancient English?

I hit a small snag with the Chinese set, I can't seem to find a good Chinese Marine or a Chinese Paratrooper. Zerver's set is no longer in the database, so if anybody has it that'd be really helpful.

Finally finished up China! I had to make a Machinegunner and I had to reskin a bunch of modern units and figure out a few animations but here it is. I went with Danrell's Chinese set as well as his History of the Three Kingdom's set (with Bakuel as the original model maker) rather than Bakuel's units because (a) the whole set is unfinished, and (b) they would stand out more, and these are all generally the same style. I really liked this set, and I think I might play a quick game as China because of it, I hope you guys like it....

EDIT: Oh yeah, that Crossbowman there is actually their Cho Ku Nu UU. I used two of the History of the Three Kingdoms models as the soldiers and then one of Danrell's original Chinese Crossbowman as the "Officer." Its the same but opposite for the Maceman and Knight.

Finally finished up China! I had to make a Machinegunner and I had to reskin a bunch of modern units and figure out a few animations but here it is. I went with Danrell's Chinese set as well as his History of the Three Kingdom's set (with Bakuel as the original model maker) rather than Bakuel's units because (a) the whole set is unfinished, and (b) they would stand out more, and these are all generally the same style. I really liked this set, and I think I might play a quick game as China because of it, I hope you guys like it....

Very nice. I love the first two GG's, especially.

I have decided to work on Arabia next, probably because TAdF brought up Ibn Saud. I was going to alter the UU and change it from the Camel Archer to the Ansar Warrior/Knight. Firstly what should I make the stats? And secondly should I include the original Camel Archer as part of the unit mesh (for old-time's sake) or should I just leave it out altogether?

Here is a Wikipedia article about the Ansar Warriors in case you want to read up about them. I also have to find a good image for a button, and for some reason that has proven more difficult than I thought so if anyone can find a bood image I can use for a button that would also be helpful.

These are the units I am going to use for the Ansar Warrior. If I only go with these two models the one on the left will be the "Officer" flanked by two of the units on the right.

If I go with these two and the original Camel Archer, it will be these two units plus the camel archer as the three units in the mesh. What are your thoughts?

I'd make Ansar's a knight replacement, and give them Drill 1 or a movement boost. They were known for their speed, mainly in terms of weaponry.
Also, I like the idea of using those two and the Camel Archer.

I'd make Ansar's a knight replacement, and give them Drill 1 or a movement boost. They were known for their speed, mainly in terms of weaponry.
Also, I like the idea of using those two and the Camel Archer.

I still have a few modern units to throw together for Arabia, and I have to figure something out for their Modern GG, and ancient worker, so I have a bit of work ahead of me on it, but I think its going to look pretty cool. But yeah, I'll go with the Camel Archer, and two knights set-up and rename it Ansar Warrior. I'm still thinking about what to do for their abilities, but an extra movement isn't a terrible idea, except there isn't MUCH of a benefit to that since most people use stacks, although running around and pillaging and getting a quick hit and run attack would be useful.

I still have a few modern units to throw together for Arabia, and I have to figure something out for their Modern GG, and ancient worker, so I have a bit of work ahead of me on it, but I think its going to look pretty cool. But yeah, I'll go with the Camel Archer, and two knights set-up and rename it Ansar Warrior. I'm still thinking about what to do for their abilities, but an extra movement isn't a terrible idea, except there isn't MUCH of a benefit to that since most people use stacks, although running around and pillaging and getting a quick hit and run attack would be useful.

Drill 1/extra first strike would make more sense. The Ansar warriors were -extremely- skilled with weapons, hence their attacking speed. So giving them an extra first strike would be spot on.

The Chinese set is actually awesome! Especially the industrial units.I've never seen a better set before!I'm sure I'll download it as soos as it comes out.
Thanks a lot!
¡gracias!

The Chinese set is actually awesome! Especially the industrial units.I've never seen a better set before!I'm sure I'll download it as soos as it comes out.
Thanks a lot!
¡gracias!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear you're interested. This mod never got that much "publicity" so hopefully the second edition will have more success.

I finished the Arabian set (sorry no previews) with the exception of a couple of modern units I hope to have in there soon. I'm really happy with the way it looks right now, with the unit mesh mixes it looks really cool during battles with different units fighting different ways and with the different textures it gives it a much more "realistic" feel. For example; I was playing as Arabia and fighting a war against Byzantium and the way the units were all mixed up it seemed like the crusades! I used three different unit models for the Byzantine Macemen and Cataphract, as well as the Arab Maceman and Camel Archer (I will rename it to Ansar Warrior) and it looked like I was watching Kingdom of Heaven or something! I was going to do a second set tonight (probably the Aztecs) but I got a bit carried away with my Arab game. The next three I'll do will (probably) be the Aztecs, Mali, and Babylon!

What a surprise, I've already found some excellent diplotext for Ibn Saud.

<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>Hello, [CT_NAME]. I have such a long name that you won't remember anyway, so I'll just introduce myself as [OUR_NAME] instead. I'm the king of the [OUR_EMPIRE]. Treat us with respect and we will treat you favourably as well.</English>
<Spanish>Hola, [CT_NAME]. Tengo un nombre tan largo que no lo recordaréis de todos modos, así que sólo me presentaré como [OUR_NAME]. Soy el rey del [OUR_EMPIRE]. Tratadnos con respecto y os trataremos favorablemente también.</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_REFUSE_TO_TALK_LEADER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>I am bathing in money and oil. Please do not disturb me.</English>
<Spanish>Me estoy bañando en dinero y petróleo. No me molesteis, por favor.</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_NO_PEACE_LEADER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>In your dreams!</English>
<Spanish>¡En vuestros sueños!</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_GREETINGS_ATT_FR_LEADER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>Greetings, [CT_NAME]. Would you like to be adopted as one of my nearly one hundred children?</English>
<Spanish>Saludos, [CT_NAME]. ¿Os gustaría que os adopte como uno de mis casi cien hijos?</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_GREETINGS_ATT_FUR_LEADER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>Time is money, [CT_NAME]. Speak up.</English>
<Spanish>El tiempo es oro, [CT_NAME]. Decid lo que teneís que decir.</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_WEAKER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>I have many mouths to feed! Please understand!</English>
<Spanish>¡Tengo muchas bocas para alimentar! Entendedlo, ¡por favor!</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_EQUAL_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>A fair deal should always be desirable, yes?</English>
<Spanish>Un trato justo es siempre atractivo, ¿no es cierto?</Spanish>
</TEXT>
<TEXT>
<Tag>AI_DIPLO_DEMAND_TRIBUTE_POWER_STRONGER_IBN_SAUD_1</Tag>
<English>Believe me, you do NOT want me and my family as your enemies.</English>
<Spanish>Creedme, vos no querríais a mí ni a mi familia como vuestros enemigos.</Spanish>
</TEXT>

I just added the Aztec set and while it looks awesome there is the unfortunate return of the CTD when you select "Exit to Main Menu." Fortunately I know that his occured AFTER I added the Aztec flavored units, so there must be some mistake there causing this to happen. I'll try to figure out the source of the issue and I'll have an Aztec unit preview after I playtest a bit.

I also have a few things I want to try and iron out too so I can commence. The first is what to do about the English ancient unit set. Should I go early Briton/Celtic, wait for Bakuel to make the Romano-Briton early Engilsh, or should I try to make them look Norman? (keep in mind Bakuel has not issued an official timeframe for the release, nor has he even started on them)

The next two are the official new stats for the Immortal and the Ansar Warrior (replacing Camel Archer for Arabia). The immortal now replaces the Axeman I believe, and the Asnar Warrior is in the same slot as the Camel Archer.

I also have a few things I want to try and iron out too so I can commence. The first is what to do about the English ancient unit set. Should I go early Briton/Celtic, wait for Bakuel to make the Romano-Briton early Engilsh, or should I try to make them look Norman? (keep in mind Bakuel has not issued an official timeframe for the release, nor has he even started on them)

I think the best thing for you is do the English last. Focus on other civs now and do the ones you're not sure about last. Maybe Bakuel will do this set by then.

I think the best thing for you is do the English last. Focus on other civs now and do the ones you're not sure about last. Maybe Bakuel will do this set by then.

Agreed.
Though if you do them now, a mix of Norman and Celtic might work.

Agreed.
Though if you do them now, a mix of Norman and Celtic might work.

I'd rather not do a mix because the eras are so short that it would look strange (having a Celtic Axeman and a Norman Swordsman together wouldn't look too great IMO). I am currently leaning towards the Celtic looking units because I think the Normans will look too similar to the Vikings (especially the medieval era) and the set Bakuel may or may not make is supposed to be Roman/Briton, so they may look too Roman anyway.

EDIT: Also the Celtic-Britons would be truly truly ancient, whereas the others are arguably medieval.

And before I do anything I else I have to fix this CTD problem, I can't have this happening in the second mod too!

I think they should be Norman. We have other Celtic nations around England (Ireland, Scotland, and maybe soon Wales) so it would distinguish the English.

Of course, Normans were originally French...

Also I have basically decided to go with the Celtic looking English units for the ancient age. The main reason is, as mentioned, that the Normans will look too much like the Vikings and that the Romano-Britons will look too Roman (at least maybe, we can always see what Bakuel comes up with). Plus as mentioned before I wanted them to be truly ancient.

You did make a good point though, and that is that the Scots and Irish will look Celtic too. Which is true, however I am not as worried about making every single civ in the Deluxe Edition look different. You have to realize that the game has to actually work, so I can't physically have each civ have their own unique flavor with that amount of new civs added. The game simply won't work, it will be way to big, and the guys over at Firaxis decided not to fix the MAF problem. Also if you want new diplomacy music, and order/select sounds, as well as different flavors for every unit for every civ you are kidding yourself. That game will never run. Having said that, I am going to do an awesome job flavoring these units, and so far I really have. There is nothing I am unhappy with so far, and I can't say that about any other flavored mod I have played. And yes, I meant EVERY other flavored mod I have played. Now that isn't to say I am claiming mine is going to be the best, I am simply saying that I have high standards, and so far this mod is exemplifying that.

Capo. Curious, what do you think of the Richard the Lionheart LH in Civ Gold?

Do you mean the Celtic Civ will be divided into many different tribes?(As well as the native American Civ?)

Top Bottom