[BtS] Rise of Mankind 2

Hi! My first post here, and I wanted to ask some questions. I've been playing RoM for a good while now, but with version 1.41, I've recieved two crashes really fast while starting a new game. The first one, was when I loaded up World Builder to see how Smart Map placed resources around the map. I tried to scroll and it gave me a weird error message about something like an Unhandled exception...something weird, because it was microsoft visual C++ runtime at the top of the message. The next time I loaded my save, it was fine, except that after placing two great engineers in my city, I tried to select the Pyrimids to be built. I then got a MAF. :crazyeye:

with 2 gigs of ram. On a standard map? About 7 turns into the game? I know I turned off opportunity fire, but I didn't think I'd need to start a new game for that, probably do though, right?

It's the weirdest thing, it's like this version has given me more bugs then any other version previously. I even completely won a game earlier on this computer,( which runs Morrowind, another gamebryo engine game at 80 FPS.) That was of course, with Version 2.3.

What do you think is wrong? I'll start a new game, of course...I just don't think that will work...

Also, I turned off Opportunity fire because it was broken. Didn't anyone else think it was weird when plasma armors, Dreadnoughts and the Nanite Swarm had oppertunity fire on them by weapons that had no chance of even dinting their armor. I mean, yes, maybe a tank can be injured by a calvary unit, but, I'm playing of Settler, so I have no idea what's going on with that.

This is with of course Tech Diffusion, but by the time I had plasma tanks, my enemies had nothing resembling a force to injure them. Of course, they loved stacking catapults and tribs, so, maybe that's it?

Anyone have any advice, other than stop beating the A.I up? :)
Be nice, it's my first post.

ok make sure you do this before a new game and whenever you switch/upgrade mods.

Check my .ini attached and crosscheck with your .ini to see if any difference in the settings really stand out between the two.

I never get unexplainable CTDs or errors, just the memory MAFs after 1-2 hours of play for early/mid game and every 1-3 turns on late/future games. I just save often and reboot the game before i get the MAFs.
The mod has nothing to do with the MAFs (memory allocation errors) they are a shortcoming of the game engine (memory leaks over time).
Any other errors are fixable with configuration changes, you will have to compromise by finding your computer's sweet spot (the highest configuration it can handle without going TILT while playing BtS).

Btw I also use Smartmap, I attach my config.
Hope this helps

rwglaub, is it a clean CTD or does Windows prompt you "Civ performed an illegal operation" (or whatever it says in English).

Other than the mod section set to auto load Rise of Mankind in your ini, there's no real difference.

The smartmap settings are slightly different from mine, but I've never had problems like this before. I cleared the cache. Anything else?
A MAF in the city screen seems impossible! :crazyeye:

I only had 1 MAF before, and that was on my older computer, with only 1.5 Gigs. with version 1.5 or something. :)

I've never experienced such an issue. I'll start a new game, and see if it still happens. Maybe this mod doesn't like people to try and start as the Argentians? (My spelling is bad) :)

If I get the same issue again, I'll post more. If I don't, well, I'll just post here and say I didn't get it repeatable.
Edit: Oh, yeah, I know the engine has memory leaks. It's just that I've never had them show up this fast. Also, this is a normal sized map, and the only time I got a MAF was on a huge...

Edit again: I got another MAF? This time on ending the turn? What in the world? I know I updated my video drivers, but this is silly. I've never had this before. It's like the game doesn't register that I have 2 gigs or something.

That makes it more likely that your PC has trouble processing all the ongoing moves, diplomacy etc.

Hy guys!
I would have a little problem. I downloaded this mode and the addons. But this is not going however. I observed the setup instructions though. Filling announces this meanwhile: Initialize Renderer Failde. But the original game works. Would you be able to help me?

//I apologise for the mistakes, but this a machine translation program. I do not speak too well in English.//

Other than the mod section set to auto load Rise of Mankind in your ini, there's no real difference.

The smartmap settings are slightly different from mine, but I've never had problems like this before. I cleared the cache. Anything else?
A MAF in the city screen seems impossible! :crazyeye:

I only had 1 MAF before, and that was on my older computer, with only 1.5 Gigs. with version 1.5 or something. :)

I've never experienced such an issue. I'll start a new game, and see if it still happens. Maybe this mod doesn't like people to try and start as the Argentians? (My spelling is bad) :)

If I get the same issue again, I'll post more. If I don't, well, I'll just post here and say I didn't get it repeatable.
Edit: Oh, yeah, I know the engine has memory leaks. It's just that I've never had them show up this fast. Also, this is a normal sized map, and the only time I got a MAF was on a huge...

Edit again: I got another MAF? This time on ending the turn? What in the world? I know I updated my video drivers, but this is silly. I've never had this before. It's like the game doesn't register that I have 2 gigs or something.

Are we on the same page regarding a MAF? Those are specifically a Civilization crash with a little window saying Memory Allocation Fault/Error? You have to click on this window and the game will then exit completely.
Those only happen after some continuous gameplay time( rarely during the first half of the game).
It sounds to me it's another problem there, maybe the civ/rom installation is borked somewhere or you really have some hardware faults there.
Stick to large or smaller map sizes.

Highly unlikely it's borked. But, yeah, it's really weird. The game displays it's own message that says memory allocation failure, and other words I can't remember now, with the blue background Civ 4 adds.

I don't think it's a corrupted install, it wouldn't really make any sense. Unless I broke something when I turned off Opportunity fire?

I tried running BTS vanilla for awhile, and it ran without crashing. It's really weird though, this mod never used to cause me trouble...But, still, constant MAF at less than 12 turns into the game? That's really bizarre.

I"ll go try a different map script soon enough. And large is larger than Standard. :)
I don't understand...

And large is larger than Standard. :)
I don't understand...

yes dont play on bigger maps size than "large"....not unless your system runs ok with them. If you play standard size then you should be ok, obviously I don't know your sys spec so I take many assumptions here.

Anyway there is nothing wrong with this mod, sorry. Not "game-breaking" ones anyway. On v2.2 and earlier I had unexplainable crashes but since v2.3 when those have been fixed I've had no more problems and I have played/completed many dozens of games since then. There's a few bugs/prog errors but seem harmless so far. Now playing v2.4.1.

I suggest you go get a free memory tester and let it run overnight or something.

Also re-downloading Rom might help. I had this prob with Spore when I downloaded patch 1 and halfway through installation the setup would crash badly. I run it several times and was getting frustrated, couldn't understand the prob since the patch download was successful and the patching started up ok.
I don't know how I guessed it but eventually I re-downloaded the file and then it patched ok.

I love this MOD. It brings so much more realism to the game. I like that unhappy people can revolt and break apart from the original civ. I like the distance bombardment, new buildings, techs, plots, civics, and UI buttons. It seams like it brings the game more to life than before.

Please help me because I would like to play already.
I would have a little problem. I downloaded this mode and the addons. But this is not going however. I observed the setup instructions though. Filling announces this meanwhile: Initialize Renderer Failed. But the original game works.

//I apologise for the mistakes, but this a machine translation program. I do not speak too well in English.//

Zappara has addressed this issue.

JosEPh

Top Bottom