Bug reports and technical issues

I just got the Indian conquerors as England, and while the event asked for 600 gold in exchange for Vishakhpatnam, Chennai, and Mumbai, I only received Vishakhpatnam and Chennai.

Was the only one credited as owner of these three cities? And you also didn't get any units?

The file is located in Beyond the Sword\Mods\. I'm not that familiar with mods, so I have no idea about that SVN, Linkman226.

EDIT: I can play the game if I start the game from publicmaps. =)

Great! :)

Mughals owned all of them. I got some musketmen and workers in each city but I didn't get an assault force, and, moreover, I lost all 600 gold.

Sorry, maybe I'm a little dense at the moment: you lost 600 gold, got only two cities, but were still at war with Mughals? Or did you get two cities plus a stack in front of a third?

Okay.

India appears to have a -20%:culture: penalty, bug or feature?

PS I think it is awesome that the Pantheon moves it's holy city to where it is built. Also Borobudur doesn't work, nor does the Great Bath (the fresh water part). Also I think it is great that you moved the shrine doubler from the Temple of Solomon to the Ishtar Gate. The foreign part of the Porcelain Tower is defective

Feature. All civs have variable culture, and usually the older civs get penalties so they can't culturespam their area (and win easy cultural victories, I guess).

It's the Apostolic Palace that moves the holy city. Are you sure it was the Pantheon? The other wonders (Great Bath and Porcelain Tower) worked at some point already as well, but it's suspicious that all three have their effects coded in Python. Will take a look at it.

Was Borobudur still broken in the latest revision (I had variable mistakes in the DLL as well which should be fixed by now, though).

What's the rationale in changing the Solomon effect to the Ishtar Gate? The point was that the Temple of Solomon works as a kind of Jewish Shrine by increasing the revenue of other shrines instead, as well as making Jerusalem valuable to both Catholics and Muslims (and Orthodox, as soon as they exist).

Parthenon in fact said that it moved the holy city, which is amusing because there is no pagan holy city. I finish games and then update, generally takes me a day or two.

In my current version the AP displays the "relocate holy city" effect again, so that seems to be fixed already.

I just played China, was quite fun and, IMO, just challenging enough. I was quite close to collapse near the end of the game, likely due to getting conquerors and hence a good chuck of Central America until Monty felt like capitulating. Anyway, I just had just a little bit of feedback.

First, I couldn't build the Terracotta Army. Nobody else built it, either. It's as if it doesn't really exist. It ended up not really being all that important, I mean, great generals are nice and all but they don't make or break a China game, but still, I would have liked it. I've built it in previous versions so I'm really not sure what happened.

Second, did you decrease the chance of successfully spreading a religion at some point? I had been hoping to snag a Buddhist wonder or 2 so I was super excited when Buddhism spread almost immediately after I founded Chengdu. Once I had my Confucian and Taoist temples in place for the UHV, I started popping out Buddhist missionaries in the hope of converting Xi'an. I failed 4 times in a row and gave up after that. Did I just have bad luck?

Thirdly and finally, once I had capitulated Monty, I of course gave him back all of his and Maya's cities. For some reason, though, after I took Tlatelolco (which I assume he had founded), I couldn't liberate it back to him. I mean, I get that not all civs will take all cities, but you'd think he'd be interesting in getting back a city he had founded, was still his culture, bordered his empire, etc. etc.

Still, though, despite all these niggles, it was a great game, lots of fun, well-tuned, and challenging. It's kind of strange to play a civ where the first UHV is easily the most difficult, but the other 2 are engaging enough to keep it interesting (ok, not as much the 3rd, since the main challenge of that is surviving, but then when the Mongols are at your doorstep surviving is its own challenge). I loved the way that the religious goal and the tech goal were kind of at odds. Deciding when to slow down my tech by settling other cities, as well as when exactly I should stop researching toward the 4 necessary techs and get Music, was a wonderful little element.

One last thought. Christianity nearly totally disappeared from this game world. I think Portugal might have had 1 Christian city but that was it. This seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Have you given any though to just telling the Mediterranean AIs (and maybe Babylon and Persia, to be on the safe side) to prioritize Theology? I would imagine that Greece would end up getting it most games instead of Rome or Jerusalem, and while that's not perfect at least Christianity would probably survive more often, which to me is a critical part of keeping this mod historically plausible. I wouldn't mind if Europe went fully Islamic every once in a while (since all the Med civs are decently likely to collapse at about the time period where Christianity will be founded, I could still see it happening), but it's too common now for my taste. I'm not sure if it would be all that effective, but a smaller change that might make the spread of Christianity more likely would be to make Missionaries be captured rather than killed (like workers). That way when Christianity gets founded by an indy there's at least the chance that a real civ captures the Missionaries and gets the ball rolling that way.

Anyway, I'm off on a really big tangent. Back to the point, China was really fun, well-designed, even if Terracotta Army was a no-go. Thanks for making the game so awesome!

I just played China, was quite fun and, IMO, just challenging enough. I was quite close to collapse near the end of the game, likely due to getting conquerors and hence a good chuck of Central America until Monty felt like capitulating. Anyway, I just had just a little bit of feedback.
Thanks for that! :)

First, I couldn't build the Terracotta Army. Nobody else built it, either. It's as if it doesn't really exist. It ended up not really being all that important, I mean, great generals are nice and all but they don't make or break a China game, but still, I would have liked it. I've built it in previous versions so I'm really not sure what happened.
That's really odd, I'll take a look at it.

Second, did you decrease the chance of successfully spreading a religion at some point? I had been hoping to snag a Buddhist wonder or 2 so I was super excited when Buddhism spread almost immediately after I founded Chengdu. Once I had my Confucian and Taoist temples in place for the UHV, I started popping out Buddhist missionaries in the hope of converting Xi'an. I failed 4 times in a row and gave up after that. Did I just have bad luck?
Seems to be so, the chances decrease with the number of religions already present, but four times in a row is still very unlucky. I didn't do anything that might've caused this, though.

Thirdly and finally, once I had capitulated Monty, I of course gave him back all of his and Maya's cities. For some reason, though, after I took Tlatelolco (which I assume he had founded), I couldn't liberate it back to him. I mean, I get that not all civs will take all cities, but you'd think he'd be interesting in getting back a city he had founded, was still his culture, bordered his empire, etc. etc.
No idea what even controls which cities he takes back. Usually it's the things you just mentioned.

Still, though, despite all these niggles, it was a great game, lots of fun, well-tuned, and challenging. It's kind of strange to play a civ where the first UHV is easily the most difficult, but the other 2 are engaging enough to keep it interesting (ok, not as much the 3rd, since the main challenge of that is surviving, but then when the Mongols are at your doorstep surviving is its own challenge). I loved the way that the religious goal and the tech goal were kind of at odds. Deciding when to slow down my tech by settling other cities, as well as when exactly I should stop researching toward the 4 necessary techs and get Music, was a wonderful little element.
Yeah, this is why I loved the cathedral goal so much despite the fact that it's not the most historical one. Great to hear it worked out.

One last thought. Christianity nearly totally disappeared from this game world. I think Portugal might have had 1 Christian city but that was it. This seems to be a pretty common occurrence. Have you given any though to just telling the Mediterranean AIs (and maybe Babylon and Persia, to be on the safe side) to prioritize Theology? I would imagine that Greece would end up getting it most games instead of Rome or Jerusalem, and while that's not perfect at least Christianity would probably survive more often, which to me is a critical part of keeping this mod historically plausible. I wouldn't mind if Europe went fully Islamic every once in a while (since all the Med civs are decently likely to collapse at about the time period where Christianity will be founded, I could still see it happening), but it's too common now for my taste. I'm not sure if it would be all that effective, but a smaller change that might make the spread of Christianity more likely would be to make Missionaries be captured rather than killed (like workers). That way when Christianity gets founded by an indy there's at least the chance that a real civ captures the Missionaries and gets the ball rolling that way.
Ah, thanks for reminding me of that. I'll start treating this problem by protecting holy cities from getting razed, and granting more missionaries to the Europeans on spawn.

Anyway, I'm off on a really big tangent. Back to the point, China was really fun, well-designed, even if Terracotta Army was a no-go. Thanks for making the game so awesome!
That's really great to hear. I was worried about China a little because I've been only modifying it from AI perspective lately, but everything still seems to be alright.

At revision 140 from the SVN, got the following problem:
- from the save, click next turn
- New York, which had 2 riflemen and a cannon to be built, is attacked by a redcoat; the defending cannon is destroyed and the city taken; the two riflemen basically vanished

Which revision is that?

The Greek always start with 1st UHV failed...
It took my extremely long to find the reason for this, but now a fix is in the latest commit.

Top Bottom