Bug Reports and Technical Issues

Again, good catch. I've made a note.

Oh ... okay.

Taoism URV display glitch :(
I once experienced exactly that in a 3000 BC China game, but I can't remember if that was DoC v1.12 or v1.13 (did 1.12 already include URVs...?).

Edit: Didn't know it's already been fixed, sorry for bringing this up again.

Last edited:
It's already fixed.

As said, I'm rewriting the strategy test for units. Are the following changes intentional or not?
(I based my observations on the old strategy texts. It is possible that those texts were wrong and there is no change in the HR change)

1. Babylon Bowman used to be cheaper than the archer, but is not anymore.
2. The Incan Aucac used to be able to pass through jungle and rainforests, but is not anymore.
3. Arabian Camel Archers do require horse now.
4. Byzantine Cataphracts don't have less strength anymore and are immune to first strikes now.
5. Spanish Conquistador only has an offensive bonus against basic melee units. (Not heavy spearman etc.)
6. The Argentian Grenadier Cavalry can do flank attacks, while the Dragoon can't.
7. The Tibetan Khampa cannot explore rival territory anymore and has no bonus attacking cities anymore. (The only bonus it has now is that it can enter jungle and rainforests)

Some of them are definitely not intended, but I'm not sure for all of them. I'll review them later.

Alright, here's what I kept:
- Asharittu cost
- Aucac cannot enter jungle and rainforest
- Cataphracts are immune to first strikes

Everything else was fixed.

Upon conquering the Spanish capital, I'm experiencing an overflow bug in their new capital.
Here are the saves from before and after the conquest.

Attachments

• before-conquestLouis XIV AD-1715 Turn 326.CivBeyondSwordSave
    695.9 KB · Views: 46
  • after-conquestLouis XIV AD-1715 Turn 326.CivBeyondSwordSave
    696.5 KB · Views: 44
That looks promising, thanks!

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but in the latest commit the Byzantines can found Islam before the Arab spawn in the 600 AD scenario by conquering a city (Ex. Ctesiphon), probably because they start with Theology. Easy to replicate by conquering Ctesiphon with the starting Cataphract on Turn 2.

Noted.

I tried downloaded the mod, but when I start it up from the shortcut it says '''Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization is an invalid mod directory, ignoring'' and starts regular BTS.

In the New Civics thread and the New Tech Tree thread, it's reported that happiness from garrisoned military units is supposed to be capped at half the city's population. Currently, there isn't any cap.

I'm continuing on my efforts to abuse you as beta testers :D

This thread is to report bugs, crashes or simply things that don't seem to work as they're supposed to. I'm incredibly thankful for every bug report I get here, because that's the only way to effectively test everything, since I don't have the time to play out every addition I make :)

As it's in our mutual interest to get every problem located and fixed quickly, please follow the subsequent guidelines:

1) Check if the error was reported already. At least read the previous page to see if someone else already had your problem.
2) Please note which version (release or Git) of the modmod you're using, and the revision in case of the Git version. I'll assume its the current Git revision at time of posting unless noted otherwise
3) Enable Python exceptions and logging. The former shows an error message ingame whenever something's wrong with Python (and that's the reason for 95% of the errors), the latter stores these into a separate file. Both are disabled on default, to activate them, open your Beyond the Sword folder and open the _Civ4Config link. Then search for "HidePythonExceptions" and "LoggingEnabled" and set them to 0 and 1, respectively, i.e.:
Code:
; Set to 1 for no python exception popups
HidePythonExceptions = 0
[...]
; Enable the logging system
LoggingEnabled = 1
4) Make screenshots, often it's much easier to understand what you mean this way.
5) Keep savegames and logs ready. I need to locate the error and have an easy method to verify if the fix works; that's what those are for. You find your logs under "My Games\Beyond the Sword\Logs\", and I'm usually referring to PythonDbg.txt when I'm asking for one. Please keep in mind that logs get overridden once you start a new game, so better make a copy of it. Saves are usually the best way for me to reproduce errors, because engineering a proper situation for myself is hard and time consuming. They may not be necessary, but it's good if you have them. Savegames from before the problem occurs are more useful than those from afterwards (I want to reproduce the error and see if my fixes remove it), so it's for the best if you keep a previous autosave on hand.

Common problems:

I have downloaded the mod, but when I start it, the menu screen is empty.
It's likely that this is because you're playing BtS with a language other than English. This mod is only in English, and for some reason this affects the main menu for all other languages. Switching your language to English should take care of this problem and is highly advisable anyway, because most of it isn't translated.

I have installed the Git version, but the scenarios do not show up / when starting the scenarios it appears as if there are no changes compared to the latest download.
Make sure you have renamed the mod folder "RFC Dawn of Civilization" after downloading. Otherwise the scenarios won't find the mod they belong to.

I have recently reinstalled Civ4 BtS and the mod won't start.
Make sure that the game is updated to the latest version (3.19). The automatic patch process is not sufficient to get up to date, you have to download the patch from the download database here at CFC.

I am using the Steam version of Civ4 BtS, and when starting the mod I receive error messages along the lines of "unable to execute file".
There are some problems with the Steam version and its attempt to work around the shutdown of Gamespy. What you have to do is to switch to the original version of the game which is available on Steam as a "beta". See here for detailed instructions on how to do so.

In the attached save when I click next turn the game crashes.
It's a game where I started in 3000bc as the Egyptians, won, and then switched to the English, epic speed.
I believe I'm on the latest official release as of 23/04/2017 (no experimental SNV version or whatever)
I did the python log thing you recommended but either it didn't make a log when it crashed or I don't know how to access said log.
Shame cause I was into this save :\

Moderator Action: Two posts together merged into one post by Rob8XFT

Attachments

• Alfred AD-1436 Turn 417.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited by a moderator:
I tried downloaded the mod, but when I start it up from the shortcut it says '''Mods\RFC Dawn of Civilization is an invalid mod directory, ignoring'' and starts regular BTS.
Is your BtS patched to 3.19?

In the New Civics thread and the New Tech Tree thread, it's reported that happiness from garrisoned military units is supposed to be capped at half the city's population. Currently, there isn't any cap.
Noted.

In the attached save when I click next turn the game crashes.
It's a game where I started in 3000bc as the Egyptians, won, and then switched to the English, epic speed.
I believe I'm on the latest official release as of 23/04/2017 (no experimental SNV version or whatever)
I did the python log thing you recommended but either it didn't make a log when it crashed or I don't know how to access said log.
Shame cause I was into this save :\
Also noted.

Top Bottom