Bugs1 - The League of Ordinary Gentlemen

Sir Bugsy

Civ.D.
So here’s the idea. We are just ordinary gentlemen who believe that chivalry is not dead. There will be at least three civilizations that are headed by ladies. It will be our goal to defend their honor and their civilizations, and avenge all wrongs that are done to them. If one of the lovely damsels are in distress, it will be our duty to protect them and avenge any losses they may suffer. Further, a gentleman would never try and take advantage of a lady. If they offer us a deal, it would be ungentlemanly to haggle with one of the ladies and we should take their deal as offered. It will be our duty to be more than fair in any dealings with the ladies. If they decide to be unladylike and fight between themselves, we will need to place ourselves between them and prevent them from damaging each other.

If a male aggressor captures one of their cities, it will be imperative that we recapture the city and return it to its proper owner. In fact, we will need to punish the aggressor. If one of our ladies decides she doesn’t like us and decides to attack us, we can defend ourselves and our lands, but we can’t go on the offensive. As soon as we can make peace we should do so immediately within reason. If one of the ladies wants all our cities for peace obviously that isn’t reasonable and would detract from our ability to protect and defend them from aggression. If, God forbid, one of the ladies is destroyed (unless it is by one of the other ladies); we will vow to bring her murderer to justice and see that he is tried and executed for his crimes.

If one of the ladies wins, that will be considered a win for us. I will enable all victory conditions, but obviously conquest will be impossible unless we are completely inept in our duties, and domination will be difficult to achieve with these restrictions. Most likely, a diplomatic or spaceship win will be targets for our gentlemanly civilization.

I was thinking about a large map with three ladies and seven male oppressors. A pangaea would make the most sense. We would also follow RBCiv rules and avoid exploits. We are honorable gentlemen after all.

If there is ever any question that arises during the game, we shall always follow the honorable and chivalrous path because we are the League of Ordinary Gentlemen.

Several questions for the team:

Which civ should we be?

Which ladies should we protect?

What difficulty level?

Since we are gentlemen, we will not strictly enforce the 24-48 rule, but all members of the league are encouraged to be courteous to fellow members and keep everyone appraised of their situation when their turn is coming up.

So who would like to don the Shining Armor?

The Leagues of Ordinary Gentlemen are:

Team A (C3C)

Gengis
Yoshi
Bede
gorm
Bugs

Team B (PTW)

Denyd
Ankka
Grahamiam
Row and Live
gozpel

As the gentlemanly host, I‘ll go last and ensure that everyone is accommodated.

Well, I think that will be a question for the team. I was thinking that it would have a minimum difficulty of Monarch and could go as high as Diety on C3C. Although diety, might be a bit much given the variant.

I'am interested. Monarch or Emporer would be fine, Deity may be a little much for this one.

Some addition for the rules: Don't bring the ladies in risk of a war, so no military alliance, no MMP with could bring them in war.

If they decide to be unladylike and fight between themselves, we will need to place ourselves between them and prevent them from damaging each other.

How exactly shall this be done?

For our civ: I think a modern nation will fit. The best civs for this theme (france, england, spain) are led by ladies, so i think american, german could fit. Should be no barbaric civ at least.

Welcome aboard Yoshi! You are correct that our civ should have a historic gentility.

Very good point that an MPP or MA would be an ungentlemenly thing to do.

As for preventing the ladies from bashing each other's heads in, I was thinking that an ROP with each of them, and then placing our units in a wall between them might work.

Hopefully we won't have to do that.

I'm interested, but would prefer a non-diety level game (I'm in 2 of those now), Emperor or Monarch would be fine.

As for choice of AI, depending on version:

for Vanilla/PTW: German would be good, scientific for Space Race and Militaristic for protecting the ladies (and Panzers are great) or the Japanese with an excellent UU and religious for quick government changes and both have leaders that might be honorable gentlemen

for C3C: I haven't really played enough of these to know who's is who

I'd prefer a non-AA UU is possible, those despotic GA's are a waste.

For the ladies, Joan, Cleo, Isabella are my favorites, Liz can be a PITA and Cathy is just plain ugly. No expierence with Theodora yet.

Welcome aboard denyd! I think I will expand the roster to six or seven.

I was sure that Joan & Cleo would be popular choices. I think it may be between Isabella & Theodora, although having to defend Her Highness Elizabeth would be a challenge to our gentlemanly ways.

Japan & Germany certainly have a long history of honorable conduct, as long as one excludes the brief period of 1930-1945.

Edit - The six civs with ladies as leaders are France, Spain, Byzantine, England, Egypt, and Russia.

Seven possible male led civs that have a history of treating women with respect include: The Dutch, America, Germany, Portuguese, Greece, Vikings (Women had the right to vote in Iceland as early as 1882. Finland, Norway and Sweden also were early grantors of Women Suffrage), and Austria.

Just thought of the netherlands and portugal, nations which where quite great during the real gentleman period.

As for the ladies i think:
the petite Joan from France,
the rose of Spain Isabella,
the sun over the desert Cleopathra vom Egypt
and the untouchable Elizabeth from England :)

My apologies for the interuption, good fellows; I merely wished to point out that if the three ladies chosen do not include England, then there is nothing preventing you chaps from choosing England as your own country. And given the movie source and the general outlook, the English seem a very good source for this, eh wot? Cheerio!

But this would mean to push elizabeth from their throne ;). Not a gentle start of the game... I think we should play with a male leader anyway

BTW when everyone of the ladies are conquered by their brute male neighbors, we definitly have failed in our crusade and lost. Lets hope they survive the first age of their own

It seems in most of my games that both Liz and Cathy and up being troublemakers, and are usually horribly one-sided in their negotiations - even when I'm leading by quite a bit.

I'd love to give it a try, but I'm not on C3C, so I'll just enjoy watching the festivities!

Enjoy!

I'll join if I may. :)

I would prefer PTW or vanilla though, but I think I could go for C3C too... but I haven't got the patch...:undecide:

Corrado, does have a very good point. IIRC, the British and the French were instrumental in the development of chivalry. Perhaps to would be fitting to play as England.

But if you think on nowadays, the Japanese are propably the most polite nation in the world... AFAIK.

Bugsy,

May a monk join your league?

Could change the moniker to Friar Tuck.

With the demand for this game, you might want to run 2 games, 1 PTW & 1 C3C - I'm available for both.

Given that it's the Chivalrous Gentlemen, and not the Chivalrous Lesbian I think we’ll have to pass on England.;) Beside having Seafaring and the Man O’ on a Pan would be suicide. Interruptions are always welcome & appreciated though.

As for the ladies: I haven’t seen Isabelle or Theo in any other age then AA so I’d like for them to be included.

Other Gents: Doesn’t matter to me, just make them aggressive, not passive Civs.

Our Civ: Here’s where I have to respectfully disagree with denyd. I think we’ll NEED an AA UU, if the fighting breaks out early, we’ll need a unit that can go toe to toe when we’re overmatched. GK1 just wrapped up & we were Germany, and DI1 is ongoing with Japan so I’d like to bypass these two Civs if no one minds. I think any combo of Exp, Ag, Ind, Sci, & Mil would be best for us(in that order). I also wouldn’t mind trying Maya(I mean Inca damnit!!) or the Celts UU.

My vote goes to either of the above(in that order as well). However if we’re going with a nation with a “chivalrous” past I’d go with Greece.

Good god! While I was checking out Civs & replying 15 people had something to say.:lol:

Looks like running a shadow game is a good idea. You're a hit Bugs!!

Ankka were you signing up?

Brother Bede - Welcome aboard!

I'm very flattered that my idea is popular. We could very well run a second game if there is interest.

Top Bottom