1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Build list refresh & slow build up of lagg

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by meddiecap, Jul 4, 2020.

1. meddiecap

meddiecap Chieftain

Hi,

First of all, stating the obvious, awesome mod!
    Proudly playing since version 22 I think.

When selecting buildings for the build queue, the list only refreshes when selecting certain religious buildings.
    After clicking a religious building, everything moves to the front instead of leaving empty slots.

Is that intentional?
    Is it possible to always refresh the build list like that?

As a side note. When playing for longer periods I notice the interface slowly getting slower.
    I need to do a restart to get rid of it. Like I need to empty memory or something.

Many thanks!

2. Thunderbrd

Thunderbrd C2C War Dog

Interesting. Perhaps we can actually see the EXE's memory leak in progress this way. Not much we can do about that. @billw2015 did a tremendous job of improving our display memory issues but I think there are limits to how much CAN be done due to some of the problems existing in the underlying coding we cannot touch as modders.

3. tantoniou

tantoniou Chieftain

Personally I dislike this refresh that religious buildings cause, most of the times I build with queues and this refresh repositions everything in the list, so my eyes have to adjust every time to the position they click.

cobbaut likes this.
  4. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

I'd also prefer to not have this automatic refresh at all.

Harrier and irishhombre like this.
  5. meddiecap

meddiecap Chieftain

At some point in the game, where i'm ahead and have tons of buildings to build in 30+ cities, I just want to spam the build queue as quick as possible.
    But if you need to find specific buildings I agree that refreshing the build list make it harder to find everything.

I was kind of hoping for an easy tweak somewhere in the code.

As far as performance goes, it totally notice a big improvement compared to older versions of C2C.
    The new UI is faster and turn times are much better later on in the game.

Anyways, thanks for the replies.

6. Toffer90

Toffer90 C2C Modder

I made the new UI, so I guess I'm in charge of developing it further as no one else on the team has comparable experience with civIV UI code.

The building list refresh is a technical quirk that I could improve, religious buildings trigger it even though there's no real reason for them to do so.
    It's connected to the wonder tab refresh, where a refresh is needed every time a group wonder is selected, as that may mean more than one building in the list will change, there's also the wonder limit that when reached in the build queue the list also need to darken out any further wonders in the list, be it national or world type. These kind of "selecting one building influence other building choices" events are easiest to handle by a full refresh of the list where the simpler one line code to hide the button that was clicked isn't sufficient. Technically, we are capable of implementing mutually exclusive regular buildings (don't think we have any atm), so there is a technical reason why the refresh code is active for the regular building tab; that religious buildings trigger it is a logic leak in the refresh check code as it checks a building value that is not specific enough.

I'm pretty sure it's easy to stop religious buildings from triggering the refresh, though it's not high priority on my toDo list atm.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2020
    Snofru1 likes this.
  7. Snofru1

Snofru1 Emperor

At least it would be good to be consistent: Either have all buildings refresh or none.

raxo2222 likes this.
  8. makotech222

makotech222 Warlord

I did some quick code changes to add the refresh after every building click. It wasn't hard, as its all in python. I don't have the code changes anymore, but it was pretty simple.