• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Bulgarian mod

svetg

Chieftain
Bulgarian civilization v 1.3

Civilization
Name: Bulgaria
Techs: Hunting, Agriculture
Leaders: Khan Asparuh, Tzar Simeon Veliki, Todor Zhivkov, Stefan Stambolov
Unique Units: Konnik
Color: Green

Leaders
Khan Asparuh (Aggressive, Expansive) favors Vassalage

Tzar Simeon Veliki :king: (Philosophical, Creative) favors Hereditary Rule

Todor Zhivkov (Spiritual, Organized) favors State property

Stefan Stambolov (Financial, Industrious) favors Police State

Unique Unit
Konnik (replaces Horse archer)
(uses Mongol keshik art)
- 50 cost
- Attack and defense same as Mongol keshik
- Movement: 2
- Power: 6

Changes from the previous version:
- Added leaderheads
- Changed Todor Zhivkov
- Added a new leader - Stefan Stambolov
- Removed Boyar and Partizanin UU

General Notes

- To use, unzip to your Mod folder and run Bulgaria.part1.exe.
- all civ, leaders and units have Civilopedia English entries
- there are over 60 bulgarian cities with modern names

Attachments

• Bulgaria.part1.zip
    481.9 KB · Views: 1,579
  • Bulgaria.part2.zip
    191.1 KB · Views: 1,182
While you're at it, why not add a special invisible unit that can travel through time and has infinity ammunition for its high yield nuclear bazooka ?

Supreme Shogun said:
While it could have been said a bit nicer, the last poster is right. The UU you made are overpowered compared to other Civs and their UU.
Calm down now. I'm sure he has his reasons.

And welcome to the forums svetg. First off I would like to say that rather than adding references to CIV4GameText_Civilopedia_CivLeaders.xml, CIV4GameText_Civiliopedia_Units, CIV4GameText_Strategy.xml, CIV4GameTextInfos_Cities, CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml, you should create a custom .xml file using the encoding values from that file so it doesn't overwrite anything.

Here's some code to get you started.
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<Civ4GameText xmlns="http://www.firaxis.com">
	<TEXT>
	</TEXT>			
</Civ4GameText>

Place all of your custom text references in this new file and it will be called up as long as it's in the XML/Text directory of the game. I know this from experience.

Also consider, before throwing a mod into circulation, to make it the best modification possible. There are reasonable resources on these forums that any single modder could use to create flags, unit graphics, and leaderheads. There are a lot (and I do mean A LOT) of additional Civilization mods flying around on the completed modpacks forum. Let's make the best of them shall we?

Unique Unit
Madarski konnik (replaces Horse archer)
(uses Mongol keshik art)
- 50 cost
- Attack and defense same as Mongol keshik

You are not using the hungarian horseman as a UNIQUE BULGARIAN UNIT are you?:rolleyes:

Perhaps Madar has different meaning than Magyar in Bulgarian, who knows... anyway, Magyar should have the Tegethoff class battleship as their unique unit representing the SMS Szent Istvan and Admiral Miklos, the Scourge of Balaton as leader. Perhaps with a parrot on his shoulder. GARR!

During World War I, Horthy distinguished himself as an admiral in the Austro-Hungarian Navy. During the war he defeated the Italian Navy several times, and was wounded at the battle of the Otranto Straits. Because of his success on behalf of the Dual Monarchy, he was promoted to Commander in Chief of the Imperial Fleet in March, 1918, and held that position until he was ordered by Emperor Karl to surrender the fleet to the new State of Slovenes, Croats and Serbs on October 31.

Then Hungary became a kingdom without king, with an admiral as regent who had no sea... :crazyeye:

Anyhow, i think (cant guarantee that) i will make a magyar mod with the hungarian horsearcher and the hussar as 2 unique units.. Perhaps St. István and king Mathias as leaders. But definately no fascists.. :vomit:

Sorry for off-topic..

Thanks for creating this mode.It is realy great that someone actuly made it,i thougt that i will have to whait for the other ecpansions to be released before someone actuly makes smothing like this.And just one thing- for thouse who don`t know this "the madar konik" is a horsman carveded on a rock just below the fortress of Madar.But i do think that the name should be Bagatur-that was the name of the profesional bulgar Cavalry.Anyway THANKS.

I made this mod for myself and I like it the way it is. I posted it because there was not any other bulgarian mod listed and I thought that they are people without programming knowledge that wants to play as bulgarians.
About the units:
I don't see the link between hungarian horseman and madarski konnik. For the lazies there is the Google link: http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=active&q=madarski+konnik&btnG=Search
For the spy's and sabotage abilities for the other special units there is a reason and it's called historical reality. I said I didn't have a time to test my mod. If these units are overpowered I can raise their price or lower their power, or both, but I will keep the other abilities, because I like them to be as close as possible to the historical reality. Bulgaria as a civilization have more than 1300 years history and about half of this time we were occupied by other powers like Roman Empire, Byzantium Empire, Ottoman Empire. That's why the unique unit should be guerilla type and not the regular army.

Jecrel: Thank you for the reference. I wanted to make all mods in a different file, but I didn't figure it out. That's why I inserted my mods in these files. When I have a time I will make it right

arcbulgar(bg): You are right about the bagatur. I knew that this was historically the main unique bulgarian unit for the first 300 years. I just can't remember the name and "Madarski konnik" was the first thing that came to my mind. Since at this time I made this mod strictly for myself I kept it until i have a time to test it. I will change this in the next version.

hello there,

it'd be very nice to have a Bulgarian mod but let's not make a joke of it!
i'd like to share some considerations with you:

1. About the techs - it doesn't make sense to combine Hunting and Agriculture - agriculture is definitely not a
characteristic feature of early Bulgarians.

2. It'd be more correct to say Tzar Simeon The Great or simply Tzar Simeon I - since everything else is written in English

3. There's no such fenomenon as "Madarski konnik" (in English - "Madara Horseman"). Madara Horseman relief
is called so because it is carved on the rocks near Madara village. There was not such unit in Bulgarian army!
It was simply a horseman - and that's it.

4.Well, you are right - there are two characteristic elements in Bulgarian army in the Middle Ages - the Horseman
and the Archer. Yet they are not as civ-specific as the Boyar.
If you still miss a Medieval Unit - it'd better be the Boyar. It is more a military-administrative position rather than
a pure military one - but it is the unique one.

5. I think you have shaped the leaders well enough. They are OK.

6. I doubt that Haidutin should be able to sabotage and destroy. I think it should have great defensive bonus in forests instead.
And I think it should have Movement = 1.

7. Movement = 2 is more suitable for Partizanin, indeed. It definitely shouldn't be able to steal plans or investigate.
If you need a unit to steal plans or investigate - it'd rather be a Communist Secretary :o).
I think a terrain-related bonus would be fine enough.

8. And, of course, we still miss some original artwork!

Anyway - it's great you've started this project!

Best regards,

formFactor

1. If you read the history you should know that Bulgaria as a civilization was formed at 681 A.D. as a mix of proto-Bulgars and Slavs in proportion about 1:10. When proto-Bulgars were warriors and they definitely were hunters, the Slavs were peasants mostly. Does this make sense now?

2. I can change this of course, but since this is part of the name, it shouldn’t be translated. Why translate just the end and not the whole name. The name Simeon means "God has heard.", so the whole name should be King God has heard Great fully translated or Tzar Simeon Veliki non-translated. I preferred the second variant.

3. I know, I know. I will change this to bagatur. Horseman doesn’t looks good as unique unit.

4. I was thinking to name it Boyar, but it’s not historically right and I didn’t remember the real name. To name it Boyar is the same as to name the Infantry Minister.

5. Thanks. I didn’t doubt about Asparuh. He doesn’t need another art. When I first made the mod there was only one leader and one unique unit because they fit perfectly. But he’s more aggressive and doesn’t fit my needs for a leader. I liked to play more with the other leaders and units, but they didn’t have the arts. I’m not an art person and probably will not make any art mods myself, but if somebody send me the art I can implement.

6. it’s a good idea. But historically he should have good attacking bonus also. Why you need to defend the forest?

7. The Partizans were communists with guns. Their main reasons to exist were to sabotage. They fought just sporadically. That’s what the History said. If they are too powerful, I can make them less powerfull or more expensive, but it wouldn’t be right to remove their main abilities. Without them, they are just regular infantry. May be I can remove ‘steal plans’ and ‘investigate’ if nobody likes them, but I’m positive about sabotage.

8. I’m not an art person and probably will not make any art mods myself, but if somebody sends me the art I can implement

I beg your pardon, i should have googled it before even typing one word..
Just asked around on my hub and some ppl said it means what i thought it does, turns out it doesnt... My bad.. ;)

Keep up the good work! :beer:

Anybody to help me with the unique unit's balance? What they are supposed to do to be UNIQUE and balanced?
Also I had problems with implementing the flag. It's simple white-green-red stripes. Another ancient version is yellow lion on white bg. It worked in Civilopedia, but when I tried to replace as Civilization flag it was either completely black or completely white. I know it's something with "alpha channel", but I don't have Photoshop to fix it.

Attachments

• flag.jpg
    flag.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 359
  • bg-naval.gif
    bg-naval.gif
    7 KB · Views: 343
Here is the mod with a good flag
change zip to rar and install it

Attachments

• Bulgariaflag.zip
    56.2 KB · Views: 269
I am sorry ,but i dont like.This is unforgivable,we dont have nothing commonly with Russia.Our lenguage is completely diferent from russian lenguage.Its annoying to hear russian speach on the place of bulgarian.Its the sam like turkish on the place of english.The capital in modern ages is not Pliska, its Sofia.So if you make a bulgarian nation make the important things first PLEASE.But i appreciate that you have choosen to make Bulgarian nation.

If you don't like it why you didn't create a better mod? I wanted to play as Bulgarian, so I created a mod. Because nobody did Bulgarian mod before I posted this to the forum. I don't hold any royalties or licenses, so you're free to create a better mod.

Our lenguage is completely diferent from russian lenguage.

First, on English is called language, not lenguage and second, no it's not COMPLETELY different. The bulgarian belongs to the group of slavic languages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavic_languages. I'm sorry, but the russian is the only slavic language in the game and until Firaxis release SDK I can't change it to Bulgarian. If you don't like Russia or russians it's your personal problem.

The capital in modern ages is not Pliska, its Sofia

Yes it is. But the game starts in ancient era when the FIRST capital was Pliska. If you don't like Pliska you can rename it to Sofia in the game or you can build a palace in Sofia to make it capital. I didn't choose the capital, Khan Asparuh did.

Top Bottom