By a Single Decision (Alternate History)

:bump: update

Tell me about it. We just have to do it until he gets back...

:bump:

TRAITOR! He's a Russian spy!

Wait. Russia isn't even part of America.
Uh oh, head pain- [Head Explodes]

What? :bump:

Y'know, being of some Norse descent, I really like all of the Viking-based stories that das does. Especially Rjolf II!

Wait. Russia isn't even part of America.

Indeed. It would be reasonable if its the other way around. But that leaves Canada.

Confused. Very confused.

I somehow suspect that Canada doesn't exist and the entire North American continent is divided between Finland and China.
Y'know, being of some Norse descent, I really like all of the Viking-based stories that das does. Especially Rjolf II!

Oh, just you wait a few centuries, I have big plans for a colourful megalomaniac in Denmark. Only I need NK's permission, as the megalomaniac would often be reffered to as "The North-King". Or Nord-Konung (ala "L'Empreur").

Chapter Ninty One.

Still, albeit the Skraelings was more of a word for the Inuits, it was often used for all natives of Helegsland, though Helegians was also used, if rarely.

So, whatever happened to the Skraelings (i.e. all people living north from the Far West Muslim/Toltec cultural zone - ofcourse, I only mean those who differ sufficiently from OTL to get a mention)?

Firstly, the Inuits. Weakened by diseases and raids, they are much diminished in number and strenght, and their prospects look bleak, generally-speaking. Ofcourse, the more western communities are much better off... but it were the eastern ones that were the best and the strongest of them all, until now. Not that there ever was a chance of an Inuit Empire, come to think of it...

The Cree. After the Mingan War, these became Vinland's most nearby neighbours, but as they - or rather, those of them who lived in the Cree Plains (OTL northern Great Plains) - grew more militant, bolstered by the new horses as they were, incidents begun to appear... though, ofcourse, the Cree are not yet a significant power.

Other tribes, further south, had no direct contact with the Vikings yet, but the diseases and the horses and the other trade goods and new ideas and technologies did gradually spread. Ofcourse, they did not spread far yet - at least, the technologies, the diseases already crippled many a tribe and yet created fresh opportunities for others. So south we go, to meet the squabbling Vinnish tribes in Rjolfland or Powhatania (OTL central US East Coast), albeit similar battles went on in other nearby lands as well. The tribes have only begun to recover from the European diseases, and are yet to tame horses, but these diseases clearly created a lot of vacuum and also inspired a need for unity. So tribes united into tiny confederations. And they... squabbled. Which is to say they fought very sporadically amongst each other.

Further south we go, in the Mississippi the diseases already came; horses and iron came rather slower, but eventually did - from the south, ofcourse, for the Muzzatid Sultanate, a great trade empire, too was involved in spreading all the things that came with the Old World contacting the New World. The nascent civilization there was dealt quite a setback by those diseases, but ultimately survived and albeit here, too, there was much squabbling, they mostly begun to form around six groups - Spiro, Plaquemine, Towosahgy, Aztalan, Ohio and Etowah. These groups are more like tribal confederations, each united by common culture.

Finally, in the southwest (OTL US Southwest) we have several tribes/cultures, the dominant of which is the Anasazi. Diseases and technologies came here too, from the Toltecs this time.

The arrival of diseases, and later of horses and iron transformed the "Skraeling" society completely. But changes were far from over yet. Far from it...

Nice job, once again.

What!! Now you say Canada's part of Finland!!!

Although the China bit isn't all that unrealistic. With all of the immmigration they'll be the majority soon. Then China can declare us a colony and/or make us culture-flip. :D

The division of North America between Finland and China comes from an old joke about border clashes on the Finnish-Chinese borders.

:lol: Good one Das :p

Lord Iggy

Would it make you feel better to know that there are some of your compatriots who stubbornly refer to the US of A as the "lost Provinces of Southern Canada?"

das, you have 24 hours to update this...

Chapter Ninety Two.

China, as of recently, went through a lot of trouble. The Tang Dynasty tumbled down facing military defeats, corruption and rebellion; the Five Dynasties and the Ten Kingdoms was a period of great anarchy until Taizu begun his great campaigns of unification in 954. The new Song Dynasty brought stability and reforms, albeit the latter often were hindered by the conservative faction of the court.

Chao Heng, the third emperor, who apart from strenghthening Imperial authority via religion also put an end to the war with the Khitans in the north in 1004 (a disputed area was acquired by the Song, who in exchange had to pay a certain tribute to the Khitan Liao Empire), also presided over a sudden rise of Chinese trade; mostly this was due to other circumstances, like the unification of India, the Chola Diaspora and last but not least the extension of the Hadramautian trade network to Indochina. Generally this resulted in the growth of prosperity, and of interest in the sea and maritime commerce. For now, however, that was hardly important; more important was a moderate growth of exports from India, including horses, though in insignificant amounts. Especially insignificant as, technically, the majority of the Song administrators, the emperor included, were not particularily expansionist nor bellicose.

Chao Heng would, however, eventually die in 1029; his successor, Chao Chen, who in his youth was only barely persuaded not to divorce his empress, who was chosen for him by (the late) Dowager-Empress, then rose to the throne. Still, apart from that he closely followed the Confucian ideals, albeit supressing the rising tide of the very much Confucian idealist faction, which seeked reform of the buerocracy. The problem with this was that, indeed, albeit the buerocracy was now much more developed, corruption also flourished, and with it, grew dissent... while the vassal state of Xixia and the northern Liao Empire loomed.

Eventually, something had to happen.

Nice chapter. The east is beginning to be affected.

Let's hear it for the butterfly effect!

das said:
Oh, just you wait a few centuries, I have big plans for a colourful megalomaniac in Denmark. Only I need NK's permission, as the megalomaniac would often be reffered to as "The North-King". Or Nord-Konung (ala "L'Empreur").

Granted.

Yes, I am finally returning to browse this thread, das. :)

Update! :bump:

:bump:

C'mon! Ten days?

Top Bottom