1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

C&C universe civs

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by <Nexus>, Mar 8, 2021.

1. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I'm doing a lot of screwing around today. Here is the Civ5 merchant truck with the teamcolor/lettering no one asked for :D:
    Truck.jpg

I went through the trouble of extracting the american settler wagon from RI in the hope that I could use the wheel animation. But the wheels are nowhere near close enough for that to work. So, they aren't rigged. The wheels are small enough you can't tell they don't move anyway.

Attached Files:

2. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Challenge accepted. :)

MightyToad likes this.
  3. PPQ_Purple

Update. I tried making the text an object and teamcolor and honestly it looks bad. Just plain bad. I need a plan C.

4. MightyToad

MightyToad Sith Lord

I'm curious what "bad, plain bad" looks like. As for plan C.... All I can think is Plan A, but use black text over white. Like the font used in subtitles and memes. That is readable over any background/color. eg:
    PPQtrucking.png

5. PPQ_Purple

It's bad. I'll get back to you all next week. This one is too busy for me with various business related stuff.

6. PPQ_Purple

I don't really have the time nor the wits to finish the truck right now It's just one of those frustrating things that need a breakthrough idea to do right. And I have none at this time. And yet I can't work on anything else because I promised the truck would be next. So probably expect to see me go silent for a while. But at least rejoice that if I do come back I'll be back with a truck.

7. <Nexus>

<Nexus> Traveler of the Multiverse

It doesn't need to be the next, especially if it is so problematic ;)
    Do what you enjoy and keeps you motivated :thumbsup:

8. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

How fun! I once made a very small note on my ideas, apparently:

I also like the discussion on city names - let me contribute a few, if it might help (making these up as I go, but I read through the previous lists, so I am no doubt copying some):

<Nexus> likes this.
  9. PPQ_Purple

I would be lying if I said I had not contemplated creating a Tiberium Sun centered mod. Unfortunately the DLL work required to make things like tiberium spread work would require help from someone with a lot more experience modding than I. So I guess I am trying to say that I am not exactly recruiting but I do have some ideas and could be persuaded to do something about them if I got help.

10. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

That feature already exists in our mod WTP (it might even be standard Civ4Col XML already) and we use it for our feature "Winds and Storms". (It is easily configurable in XML.)
    It could easily be adapted to e.g. generated different types of Tiberium (as TerrainFeatures) instead of "Storms", "Favourable Winds", "Unfavourable Winds", "Sandstorms", "Blizzards" or "Fog".

If such a feature does really not exist in Civ4BTS all it would need is somebody to adapt our code to Civ4BTS which is no big issue if you know DLL programming.
    The logic of that feature is really not that complicated and even a beginner in C++ programming (one or two months of programming experience) should be able to understand it.

Summary:
    If you find a programmer interested in that project of yours and he has questions how to implement something like that simply let us know. :thumbsup:
    We will of course be happy to share our code, answer questions if necessary or support otherwise. But as I said "spreading Tiberium" sounds pretty easy to implement.

11. PPQ_Purple

It also exists in FFH in the form of hell terrain. But it would take some DLL skill to actually turn it into something functional for my purposes. And I am yet to learn DLL modding. Not that I am not trying mind you, but I need to find a mod to start from.

12. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder Supporter

I understood that.
    That is why I wrote:
    ----

Of course. It is much less effort to start with a good mod base, than starting from scratch with Vanilla.
    Hope you find that mod to start with. I guess there are several good candidates out there.
    (I do not really know much about Civ4BTS mods myself though so I can not suggest anything.)

----

Definitely sounds like an interesting project. :thumbsup:

13. PPQ_Purple

At this point my project more of a let's learn civ by breaking it than anything else. Basically I am looking for a base mod that includes BUG and has the proper giant map sizes and super slow game speeds integrated and not much else. And I intend to literally tear out all the units, buildings, civs etc. out of it and make like a 1 civ, 1 unit and minimal test environment for my self.

14. <Nexus>

AND2 and CoM has those things.
    CoM is still also under development: it's getting some new features, fixes, AI improvements and it has the feature spread mechanics you mentioned. I also have plans about Tiberian Earth module for CoM, where in the late game tiberium spreads like covid.

15. PPQ_Purple

Tell you what, why don't you send me a message privately and we'll talk. I have a couple ideas I might want to bounce off you.

EDIT: I just started a new game of your mod to check it out and it crashes to desktop every time I end my 1st turn. So maybe not.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2021
  16. <Nexus>

That's strange. None of my players ever reported such behavior. Could you please post a save file in my thread, so we can investigate the issue? THX.

17. PPQ_Purple

Done. Have fun.

18. Blake00

Blake00 Emperor Supporter

Was just searching for C&C and RA mod talk in the Civ4 forum and found all your stuff @PPQ_Purple and this great thread by @<Nexus> !

I've gotta say very nice work sir! Particularly impressed by your Tesla tank!

I've been hunting for Command & Conquer and Red Alert scenarios/mods for all Civ games and am also making my own scenarios for good old Civ2 based on the dark moody scifi Tiberian Sun universe (fortunately for me expanding Tiberium terrain was easy in classic Civ2 lol) and the Red Alert 2 Siege of New York mission (this one has been a challenge as getting super sized buildings buildings into Civ2 is not easy haha). I'm not talented enough to do the cool 3D stuff you guys are doing so I've been hoping someone would eventually come along and make a good C&C or RA scenario for Civ4 so I wish you guys luck and will be subbing this thread! :)

A Civilization 4 dark and moody C&C2 Tiberian Sun scenario would be so darn cool. Or alternatively should you guys cook up a Red Alert 2 City mission idea similar to mine then I'll mention that @fromAustria 's Civ4 Zombie Invasion scenario appears to use a impressive looking 3D city buildings & streets graphics terrain set (working download on page 2) that could be useful or at the very least inspiring.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/zombie-invasion.507372/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    <Nexus> likes this.
  19. PPQ_Purple

I'd love to do a C&C themed mod and honestly I even have ideas on how I'd do it. But I have neither the modding skills nor the free time to take on such a project. So unless someone can scare up a modding team that ain't happening.