C-IV Warlords SGOTM 04 Maintenance Thread

AlanH

Mac addict, php monkey
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the C-IV SGOTM 04 Maintenance thread. The purpose of this thread is to give you somewhere to post about non-spoiler issues relating to the game. It is a way of communicating to the rest of the players outside your team, and with the staff about matters that affect your team or everyone. You can post about bugs, rule clarifications, problems with the roster etc. Please subscribe to it so that you are kept up to date with new information as the game proceeds.

The team lists are in the second post in this thread.

The Game
This Monarch difficulty game is on a Standard size, Gyathaar-special, fractal map, at Epic speed, against 7 rivals including India. All victory conditions are enabled except Diplomatic, but the laurels for this contest will be awarded to the teams who achieve the fastest Space defeat by Gandhi.

Versions
This game will be played in Warlords Version 2.08 only.

It will be played using the current version of the HoF Mod. This is version 2.08.003 for Windows. There are insufficient Mac players to form a Mac team. so it will be played in Windows only.

If later versions of Warlords or the HoF Mod are released they cannot be used for this game.

Start files will be available on the SGOTM Progress and Results Page at midnight, server local time, at the start of February 23.

Starting Position
Here's the starting position - click the image below to see a larger version.

Map Parameters
Playable Leader/Civ - Ragnar of The Vikings
Rivals - 7 civs including Gandhi (who is locked in war with Ragnar)
World size - Standard
Difficulty - Monarch
Landform - Fractal, cylindrical, medium sea level, temperate
Game Speed - Epic
Diplomatic Victory Disabled
All other settings are defaults

Notes
  • Please visit the C-IV Warlords SGOTM reference thread to check out the rules and procedures to ensure that you are adequately prepared for this game.
  • Warlords v.2.08 is supported for this SGOTM. No other versions can be used, and you will have to stick with the same version throughout the game.
  • Teams will compete for up to four awards - the Gold, Silver and Bronze Laurels for the fastest finishes, and the Wooden Spoons for the lowest scoring finisher.
  • Awards will be given to teams who achieve Space defeats to India in the least turns.
  • All saved game files uploaded to the server are parsed through software that extracts and archives data about your save, including reload count for each turn set.
  • Spoiler information will absolutely NOT be tolerated in this thread.

• CDZ: BCLG100, Beorn-eL-Feared, Softnum, killercane, socralynnek, Drool
  • Chokonuts: Ozbenno, cubbiesin08, McArine, Mighty Dwaarf, ngraner42, Terminator3k
  • CRC: Grey Cardinal, Godwar, Gosha190, jeffa, kaizer, kicks, Lexad, Morcar - (reserves: Murick, Budda, mest, zxhex)
  • Fifth Element: BLubmuz, BrianS, Civicide, Doom Train, Merum, Sweetacshon, The Sansman
  • Fistful of Dynamite: Ralph Jackson, blid, Kikinit, Manic_ , pindicator, Rihiter, sooooo,
  • Geezers: Thrallia, Harbourboy, Htadus, Jenarie, markh, Sam_Yeager (The-Hawk)
  • Gypsy Kings: Ronnie1, Conquistador 63, da_Vinci, g_storrow, immaculate, Jon Shaw
  • Murky Waters: Erkon, Big Pig, Gnejs, JERFit, jouhpaulcain, LowtherCastle, Mîtiu Ioan
  • One Short Straw: mushroomshirt, llib_rm, mdy, mboza, RobertTheBruce, TDK
  • Peanut: a space oddity, ainwood, civ_steve, klarius, Mailman, malekithe, Wotan (archphoenix, DaviddesJ)
  • The Real Ms. Beyond: BeefontheBone, darkwatcher, Kodii, LKendter, ruff_hi, Sir Bugsy, TheArchduke
  • Smurkz: Methos, eldar, battchy, DeafDolphin, semolina, unkle, zyxy (CliftonBazaar, CommandoBob, Marc Aurel, Niklas)
  • Trash Team: pigswill, cabert, Cam_H, MrMahk, patagonia, remconius, stuge
  • VQ: bobrath, Cosmichael, GreyFox, healium, Maquis, namliaM, Scowler
  • Xteam: leif erikson, Bede, Cactus Pete, DJMGator13, Frederiksberg, rrau, sanabas

Opps.. seems I made a bad mistake here.. I somehow managed to disable space victory instead of diplomatic... if you havent started playing yet, then please wait untill I can replace the start files

Better now than later :D

Ok.. all starting saves replaced.. if someone already played with the original save, then let me know and I will modify the save you have at one point (no rush thou.. still plenty of time before you get that far into the game that it matters :p )

Just thought I would mention it:
If any team somehow manage to find a way to break the permanent warstate with Ghandi with some obscure method, then they are free to do so.

(Like the teams that managed to switch the permanent peace to permanent war in SGOTM1).

Personally I dont know of any way to do this.. but then I didnt know about the method that was used in SGOTM1 either :)

UPDATE:

See post #33

Since it appears there may be a bug that makes this possible, we have decided that you are no longer permitted to make peace with Gandhi, and if peace does break out then you must immediately declare war on him, either directly or via a vassalage.

"Don't touch that pot its hot!!"

Man I hate it when challenges like this get inadvertently dropped. ;)

If any team somehow manage to find a way to break the permanent warstate with Ghandi with some obscure method, then they are free to do so.
(Like the teams that managed to switch the permanent peace to permanent war in SGOTM1).

Personally I dont know of any way to do this..

Free recipe:

Making Gandhi capitulate should do the trick, either to you (if trhat's possible), or to a civ you're at peace with.

Gyathaar
As I'm not a mapmaker, could you please expand on how do you set a permanent war between us and Gandhi so I can try to test it. If we can vassalize Gandhi and then set him free and remain in peace, the task is much easier than it should be, and vassalizing Gandhi should probably be banned.

I've not looked at the save yet, but I suspect that the use of Vassals was already thought of, and they're switched off....

Gyathaar
As I'm not a mapmaker, could you please expand on how do you set a permanent war between us and Gandhi so I can try to test it. If we can vassalize Gandhi and then set him free and remain in peace, the task is much easier than it should be, and vassalizing Gandhi should probably be banned.
Banned for the other AI vassalizing with Gandhi as well as for us, right? Can that kind of selectivity be done (banning some vassals but not all vassals)?

dV

Gyathaar
Just have a look at the SGOTM1 worldbuildersave.. you were locked into war with a civ there too..
Making Ghandi your vassal will be hard.. since in permanent war he will never ever talk to you..

I've not looked at the save yet, but I suspect that the use of Vassals was already thought of, and they're switched off....
I did various experiments with vassals, and found no way to get around the permanent war when I set up the game.. but I might have missed something.
The only thing I didnt test what would happen was if Ghandi capitulate to another civ.. this is simply because I was unable to make this happen no matter what I tried.

The only thing I didnt test what would happen was if Ghandi capitulate to another civ.. this is simply because I was unable to make this happen no matter what I tried.

I presume you mean within this particular game's set up. I've just been playing a random Warlords game where one of the AI Civs swapped between two different Vassal "masters" several times during the course of the game! I may be wrong, but isn't "No Vassal States" an option when starting a Custom Game?

I presume you mean within this particular game's set up. I've just been playing a random Warlords game where one of the AI Civs swapped between two different Vassal "masters" several times during the course of the game! I may be wrong, but isn't "No Vassal States" an option when starting a Custom Game?
Yes.. on this game...
making other civs capitulate or become peaceful vassal of Ghandi was no problem... same with making Ghandi become a peaceful vassal of another civ..

But making Ghandi capitulate, I was unable to make happen...
I tried giving one civ ALL techs.. and about 100 modern armors when Ghandi was still in ancient ages.. had the civ capture all but one of Ghandi's cities... but Capitulation would still be red.. and Ghandi saying 'Surely, you must be joking...'

Since I found out what would happen in the other cases (also after vassal was released again), I saw no reason to disable vassals :)

Banned for the other AI vassalizing with Gandhi as well as for us, right?
Not really, as I don't think that can be written in software other than changing Gandhi's xmls. If someone manages to get Gandhi vassalized by other team and it works should get the prise.

The only thing I didnt test what would happen was if Ghandi capitulate to another civ..
Exactly the thing I'm talking about.

Bah. After more trial I managed to provoke this to happen...

How about this rule?

If Ghandi capitulates to another civ, and this cause you to end up in peace with Ghandi, then you have to immediately declare war on Ghandi's Master. (this will put you back at war with Ghandi again..)

Bah. After more trial I managed to provoke this to happen...

How about this rule?

If Ghandi capitulates to another civ, and this cause you to end up in peace with Ghandi, then you have to immediately declare war on Ghandi's Master. (this will put you back at war with Ghandi again..)
How about just redoing the saves with no vassal states?

Because I want then enabled for the other options where Ghandi becomes master or vassal... :mischief:
Well, in any case it sounds pretty risky to me, without any guarantees. Furthermore, since you managed to do it and you know the situation pretty well, do you think it provides such a clear advantage in terms of getting the spaceship launched?

If not, I say let the daredevils go for it and the rest go their own way and let's see what happens.

This brings up another question: If Ghandi is vassaled and his master launches, does that count as Gandhi also launching or not?

Top Bottom