C2C Balance Thread

The code is in the DLL. It uses quite some global defines though. Search for espionage in GlobalDefines.xml and A_New_Dawn_GlobalDefines.xml.

None of those defines have anything to do wtih Population. What function calculates Espionage Costs?

None of those defines have anything to do wtih Population. What function calculates Espionage Costs?
ESPIONAGE_CITY_POP_EACH_MOD is the one that modifies espionage cost based on population.
The relevant functions are:
CvPlayer::getEspionageMissionCost
CvPlayer::getEspionageMissionBaseCost
CvPlayer::getEspionageMissionCostModifier

It is possible to make Bribe City inherently more expensive too. It should require a BIG espionage investment to steal a city, at the moment its as cheap as chips.

The Mod is seriously unbalanced at the moment. Too many AI are not expanding until well into the Classical Era. No expansion occurs unless the AI has one of these 5 Leader traits: Expansive, Humanitarian, Seafaring, Semi-Civilized, and Barbarian.

If the AI has any of these 3 traits it is even more of a problem for early AI empire expansion: Idealistic, Populist, and Excessive.

It's not Fun to finally meet your neighbors and find out that they only have 1 city and it 2000BC and your well into the Classical era.

JosEPh

The Mod is seriously unbalanced at the moment. Too many AI are not expanding until well into the Classical Era. No expansion occurs unless the AI has one of these 5 Leader traits: Expansive, Humanitarian, Seafaring, Semi-Civilized, and Barbarian.

If the AI has any of these 3 traits it is even more of a problem for early AI empire expansion: Idealistic, Populist, and Excessive.

It's not Fun to finally meet your neighbors and find out that they only have 1 city and it 2000BC and your well into the Classical era.

JosEPh

It's not a balance issue. It's an AI issue, which your save game posted on the bugs thread nicely illustrates. I'm working on a fix now.

Great!

Glad the save is helping to fix this before v27 release.

Thanks,

JosEPh

ESPIONAGE_CITY_POP_EACH_MOD is the one that modifies espionage cost based on population.
The relevant functions are:
CvPlayer::getEspionageMissionCost
CvPlayer::getEspionageMissionBaseCost
CvPlayer::getEspionageMissionCostModifier

Thanks. I can see a possible simple solution, I'll post about it tomorrow.

More of a cosmetic thing here, but I'm playing a GEM map as Inca, and the Great Generals I get are more suited to those puny tribes up north. However the Tupi have a very nice looking GG which I think Aztec, Maya and Inca Should share.

@all:

My solution to the Espionage cost issue is to make the maximum penalty due to population 50%, and to change the penalty per population point to 1, instead of 2. Does this sound reasonable?

@all:

My solution to the Espionage cost issue is to make the maximum penalty due to population 50%, and to change the penalty per population point to 1, instead of 2. Does this sound reasonable?

No idea - can you summarize the calculation and how all the modifiers are applied? The cost goes up with increasing population I assume? Not sure how capping it at 50% plays into the original issue (of costs being way too low) - at what population is the 50% cap reached?

No idea - can you summarize the calculation and how all the modifiers are applied? The cost goes up with increasing population I assume? Not sure how capping it at 50% plays into the original issue (of costs being way too low) - at what population is the 50% cap reached?

No, the cost goes DOWN with increasing population! 2% per point infact! so by fifty pop espionage would theoretically cost nothing! I am amazed that this hasn't been noticed earlier franky.

No, the cost goes DOWN with increasing population! 2% per point infact! so by fifty pop espionage would theoretically cost nothing! I am amazed that this hasn't been noticed earlier franky.

That's dumb. Surely it should go up and the fix is therefore just to change a sign in the calculation?

That's dumb. Surely it should go up and the fix is therefore just to change a sign in the calculation?

Now that I look at this in Vanilla it had no effect, the define was set to 0. :rolleyes: I'll just do that for now (set it to 0), as that will remove a good bit of the discount on costs SgtSlick was reporting, and then think about what to do next to fix this situation. I think that the reasoning behind that define is that it's easier to blend into a large crowd than a small village.

I did report it like 6 months ago and explained how I could simply turn to a pure espionage economy and build espionage in a lot of my cities and then buy the entire map of enemy cities in like 100 turns. I never played with advanced espionage since then and thus didn't mention again. I was surprised to see it was still there too and that no-one had mentioned it :lol: I guess not many people like to use spies??

On the topic of espionage how come you get 100% conversion of hammers to espionage while you can only get like 60% or 70% w/e it is for gold/science, (I always just convert to espionage for this reason).

I've added a new modifier for :gold: based off of gamespeeds, based off of Joseph's observations. I've assigned numbers that I empirically thought reasonable to this modifier, but I could have overdone it somewhat, so feedback is appreciated.

Top Bottom