1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C Balance Thread

Discussion in 'Strategy and tips' started by ls612, Mar 26, 2012.

1. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

I am still with JosEPh_II here, screenie - - - - -

2. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

I was thinking about industrious trait earlier and I want to reduce its world wonder modifier to like 15-20% (it gets other stuff don't worry), but it reminded me - it seems somewhat pointless coz most of the wonders get HUGE production buffs from having marble/stone. I would love to see these bonuses reduced greatly, to like 15%-30% instead of 50%-100%. Wonders should be a significant investment and a strategy 'choice' imo. Currently I feel its just a no brainer, if you can build a wonder you pretty much always will build it. Also with these modifiers reduced the AI's inherent production bonus (at higher difficulties) will play more of a factor in them being able to snag some.

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

I play with an expansive leader, I don't believe you can get less that 5:yuck: in a starting city. That is my starting value in all my latest games.

4. strategyonly

Now that i can believe. . . SO

5. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yeah, the new Heroic promo is OP. Giving Golden Ages for combat victories is in my opinion not a good idea, because it does not scale well as the game gets bigger.

What I mean is, the main way that you get GAs is by either building Wonders or using GPs. The Wonders are limited and competitive and the GP GAs scale so you need 1 Great Person for the first one, 2 GPs for the second one, 3 GPs for the third one, and so on. This allows it to scale OK into the late game. But having a unit that has a 5% chance on combat victory to make a GA is bad balance IMO.

If it were up to me it would be a Great General promotion (like the early Mountaineering) and only give a 1% chance for a GA. That would likely be balanced.

What do you think about that SO?

6. strategyonly

OK, thats what i wanted at least a little feedback, thx, MaXimillionZero & ls612, go ahead and make the changes you want, now i will be doing little projects like these, so again i will be needing more feedback.

7. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

OK, done now on the SVN. It now requires Morale IV and gives a 1% chance for a GA on a victory, so that should make it more balanced.

8. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The other time you got a golden age was the first time you attacked and won with your UU.

9. aoklo

aoklo Chieftain

Apparently not as difficult as you would think!
    This is on Immortal/Marathon setting.
    Playing as Suivarya...man or however you spell that guys name.
    Expansive/Seafarer/Cruel

Attached Files:

10. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

The Expansive trait would do it. That is where some of that +5:health: comes from, that case is exceptional.

11. strategyonly

OK whats the difference

Code:
    if CyGame().getSorenRandNum([U]20[/U], "Golden Age") == 0:
    and this one:

Code:
    if CyGame().getSorenRandNum([U]100[/U], "Golden Age") == 0:

12. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

I think that that is a 1 in x chance of happening, because it was 5% before (or 1 in 20). If it isn't I'll fix it.

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

That's also your 10th turn Not your 1st turn (turn 0 is the actual 1st turn). Was it the same then as it is now?

Plus as ls612 said you have a leader with Expansive and Seafaring. Of the 100+ leaders maybe 3-4 have that combo. So yes it's possible, but not probable, unless you play with the same leader every time you play. And then if you do come in and say the games too easy on start up because I don't have too much :yuck: is a poor sampling because you only use 1 leader or leader(s) with a particular trait. Too narrow of a sample for an analysis to be effective for the whole set.

JosEPh

14. MaXimillionZero

MaXimillionZero Warlord

Which is why I originally said starts like that are rare, but still exist.

15. MaXimillionZero

MaXimillionZero Warlord

platyping's promotion pack has a similar promotion, but it also has the golden ages given by it reduced in length. I think that would be a good addition to balancing the promotion, if we want to keep it. If the duration of the golden ages triggered by a single proc were only a few turns, I feel it would be a nice bonus without being completely gamechanging.

16. aoklo

aoklo Chieftain

Same healthiness as turn 0 (Settled in turn 2 or 3, forgot). Turn 10 isnt enough to get or build anything to affect unhealthy.

And I was just showing that its possible... because you guys wanted a screenshot of it being possible :confused:

I dont have any opinions on games being too easy on start or whatever (I dont think I ever claimed such?). Actually the AI regularly beats me to all religions and wonders and to sedentary most of the time until mid ancient era.

17. Sgtslick

Sgtslick Emperor

Yeah thats what I was thinking, why not just make it only a 1 turn golden age (if thats possible), although this would still mean it is inherently more powerful on say normal speed compared to eternity. Hmm idk, 1% seems better overall now that I think about it.

18. platyping

platyping Sleeping Dragon

Writing a code that triggers 1% of the time is a waste of time usually.
    With a 1% chance to trigger, you may stand a better chance to win lottery than to see it actually occur even after 500 battles.
    Yet, every battle, the if statement will be triggered to see if you have won the lottery.
    In short, it is a waste of performance time to check the code every battle for something that is unlikely to trigger 99% of the time.

There are much better ways of limiting its potential such as:
    A) Change the duration
    1) Reduce the length simply by a %
    2) Fix the length to X turns
    3) Leave it as it is, but set a max limit

B) Triggers at certain situations
    1) Only when defeated unit is also a Leader
    2) Only when defeated unit is > Level 10
    3) Only when won in Cities

blah blah blah

19. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

What do you mean? The chance of something with a 1 in 100 chance of happening per try happening at least once after 500 tries is incredibly close to 1. Unless the getSorenRand function is broken somehow.

I do though like your idea to only give 1/3 of a GA on a victory. I'll try that, along with giving it the Morale III prereq.

20. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

My last part wasn't directed to you specifically but to the previous post that claimed it was "easy" to get + Health in a starting city at game start.

I had forgotten that Organized had been reset Back to + 4 Health when not long ago it was reduced to +3. During the Trait Wars. :p

JosEPh ;)