1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C - Galactic Era

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Hydromancerx, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Link to video.

The video reminds me of the Eames Powers of 10 video.

Note that the video is old (1977) so they don't quite go as close up as we know now and as far away as we can see now.

2. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Bumping this since it had lots of good ideas.

:bump:

3. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

4. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

@ Hydro, for you:

5. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

6. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Hah, I had a game once where all great people I had were our names while the great people other civs got were random ones. It was a bit weird seeing a Great Engineer Civ Fuehrer though - he must've been named after his lord.

7. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

ahahaa good point though!! :lol:;)

8. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Link to video.

Here is a video Quill18 explaining the game "Distant Worlds". I think we can get a lot of inspiration for the Galactic Era from this game.

And the customizable automation they have would be nice to have in C2C.

9. SargontheGreat2

SargontheGreat2 Modder

10. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

@Sargon

Yeah I have seen some LPs of Endless Space before (think maybe of Quill). I like Shen's C2C LPs so I might take a look at those videos too. Thanke for posting.

11. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

bump :rockon:

12. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Bump.

Have we got multi-maps tackled enough to pursue the Galactic Era yet?
    What roadblocks do we have to pulverize and overcome??

Can't wait to start chewing on that Final Frontier Plus!

13. Epi3B1rD

Epi3B1rD Chieftain

14. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Well now that Transhuman Era Techs are done it's on to Galactic Era soon. I have a question is there a blueprint for what we want? Space polpusion paths?

What's the alien story?

Humans still turn into different species right?

I would give the difficulty of designing Transhuman Era an 8-9 compared to other eras. I would give the difficulty of designing Galactic Era a 3-5 since there are a lot of space 4x games.

I can hypothetical think of Solar, Intestellar, and Galactic as the main three sub eras.(it would still be called Galactic.

What are the basic blueprint for the Era?

We can reach 1000 total techs (we are at 650s) real easily.

Transhuman still takes high priority right now.

15. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

Here is the outline of the propulsion types. However they are in a slightly different order on the tree.

Spoiler :
    Solid Rocket = 7km/s, 1mN (mega newton = 1,000,000 newtons), very limited fuel, used for moon(s)

Liquid Rocket = 14km/s, 1mN, very limited fuel, used for moon(s)

Ion Thruster = 600km/s, 1cN (centi-newton) used for solar system traversal

Solar Sails (only be used to reduce inner solar system maintenance)

VASIMR = 900km/s, 1kN settle Alpha Centauri or equivalent

Magnetic Sails (only be used to reduce overall solar system maintenance)

Nuclear Pulse Propulsion = 15,000km/s, 10tN trade with Alpha Centauri more efficiently but cannot settle with since thrust would crush a person.

ACNPP = 62,000km/s, 60tN trading only

Antimatter Rocket = 100,000km/s, 1pN (petaNewton) strictly terrestrial probes, thrust would crush anything not actually attached to the craft.

Neutrino Oscillation Pulse = 9,000tm/s (terameters) Pulse only lasts one second, but must be within a black hole's gravity range to enter a wormhole or craft would self terminate from thrust.

Wormhole traversal (needs Neutrino Oscillation Pulse to enter successfully or craft will be destroyed by the singularity, otherwise wormholes would only be used for fast communications)

Folding Space = fold limited amounts of space at any one time, roughly 1ly - 100ly (light years)(only enough to explore galaxy, game winner)

Space Creasing = fold larger amounts of space at any one time, roughly 1,000ly - 1,000,000,000ly(only enough for intra-galactic trading)

For C2C I have it as; Life in the galaxy is very rare. We are the only intelligent life in the milkly way. There are a handful planets with alien wildlife but they are just at the wrong stage of development and thus no sentient life. Microbes are much more common but are still considered rare.

DH has 2 random events planned. One is a "War of the Words" where there are actually Martians, tripods and red fungi. This is more under the "punk" stuff and will not be in every game.

he also has an Andromeda strain but this is more or less like a space fu type of deal. Not very Alien-ish compared to other diseases.

lastly there will be the end game UBER barbarian aliens from other galaxy. They are ruthless, powerful and destroy all life, cities, etc. Its basically there to give you a challenge before you reach godly status. If you can survive this last test then you deserve to win the game. I would say they should be triggered around Wormhole Communications where they have picked up your presence from another galaxy.

Yes. By far this will be the most common type of "alien", next are uplifted animals like dolphins and chimps, then of course robots and lastly authentically uplifted animal aliens from the rare alien planets with actual aliens.

Note the alien planets will probably be ...

- Darwin IV
    - Snaiad
    - Epona
    - Sagan 4 (my project)
    - Furaha

Note these will probably be represented by landmarks on the Galaxy map and will get special resources if you colonize that system.

We have to be careful though becuase a lot of those games are just the same as the non-space game but they just add "space" the the names of techs. Like "space fleets" or "space psychology" or "space guns". We want to have it both fun and realistic in the type of techs. Which is why more plausible space protrusions were decided upon early on. As well as conscious effort to have limited alien contact.

Yes those would be the main 3. With the last become trans-dimensional. Remember the spaceship victory is now become the first multiverse ship to leave our universe. Thus its makes sense you as the player cannot follow them.

You can see on the tech tree.

Solar System Colonization (Mars) -> Star Colonization (Alpha Centari) -> Timetravel/Dimentional

Note that with the multi-maps we were limited to a limited number of maps so its basiclly ...

- Earth
    - Moon
    - Mars
    - Solar System
    - Galactic

Thus we don't have a local area or any of that stuff in scale. Basically you jump all the way to the Finial Frontier map.

I have no doubt. But the number is not important its the quality of the techs is what matters. If we reach 1000 its a bonus.

Indeed. However I am extremely happy with your recent brainstorming and Faustmouse's fast implementation. I am sorry I have no approved faster but I want to make sure they are right and am happy with them.

16. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Thank you for this information. Take your time with buildings, quality is important. C2C depends on quality. I agree that most space techs add Space to the word and it becomes meh. For Galactic techs I am going to build in chains, instead of one row after another mostly. It's easier to design. There us a lot of Sci fi information.

Galactic is were at least for me, tech creation becomes lots of fun.

Of course concepts will be posted first

17. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

The other thing that gets me on some of the 4x space tech trees is the "alien technology" they either are trivial in that you wonder why humans could not just invent it themselves or its some sort of crazy "magical tech" BS. Such as psychic powers.

This is one reason why I wanted to have humanity become the "aliens". You either wonder why the aliens in these games look like humans either with some sort of head deformity or blue or green skin. Or its some sort of chimera of Earth animals. Some of them don't even try and have "space bears" or "space ants" or "space lizards". If such things exist in the C2C future there is going to be a reason why and their origins will be from Earth.

And if there is some sort of "magical tech" you have to work up to it and explain how and why it is so powerful. Which is why things like Time Travel are at the end of the tree.

18. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

If you really want to go for 1000 techs, this would mean over 1/3 of all techs are in the Galactic Era. I don't think this is something desirable, UNLESS the multimap-stuff is extremely cool (which I think it will be) and there is actually a NEED for all those techs.

If you'd ask me, I would prefer the following strategy:

- Finish the TH era except the space-stuff (Buldings, Units, Promos, Resources)

- Review all the Buildings, Units and resources and see where upgrade paths, obsolete techs, PrereqBonus etc can be used.

- Balancing everything out (regarding production, gold, science...). There is a Modmod in planning, "C2C Eras" that has the ultimate goal of making a balanced C2C game. This would be the best. Of course, by the time we want to balance everything, the Nomadic Start should be in place since I think this will change a lot.

This should keep us busy for a long time... And THEN, if multimaps or similar is in place, we could fill in the Galactic era. Right now this will only add useless memory usage...

Yeah, it turns out to work very well! It will work even better once Mr Azure figured out how to make buildings (and especially units) and if he would focus on units. And Hydro, maybe you can convince Nimek to work on promotions? ;)

19. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Agree on all points. Right now my focus is 90% Transhuman, 10% Galactic but agree that it will be useless memory usage for a while. Before we continue we would have to add content to Transhuman so we can see what to add to Galactic. There are several "obolete catching" Techs right now that will disable quite a bit of stuff each. I agree that the Transhuman will keep us busy for at least 5 months, then there are the Civics, Wonders, Projects, Corporations, and other stuff to add.

Units will take a while, I wonder what games we can convert from. There will be time for a Galactic Era, i din't care about Tech count but can see myself adding 80 for Solar, 80 for Interstellar, 80 for Galactic, and 50 for Dimension easily. My personal realist prediction is around 900 to 940 max instead of 1,000. It could be as low as 875 to as high as 1000s. Quality is more important the Quantity. It would be really easy to split the Galactic Era into true eras, with the code ready, I can recode the existing Techs. This is all speculation since Multimaps will take time.

20. Faustmouse

Faustmouse Deity

I think games form the Command and Conquer series has some usefull units for early TH era. Then there is Anno (does it has units at all? never played it^^) and Empire Earth.