1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C2C - Galactic Era

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Caveman 2 Cosmos' started by Hydromancerx, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

Thank you very much, I was confused on the relationship between the two. :lol::lol:

2. SouthernKing

SouthernKing crickety cricket

No problem, the two have only been publicly known since the 90s and do tend to be confused a lot :)

3. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Yes, the Oort Cloud is still a hypothesis, but there is evidence to support it's existence, as we can occasionally see debris affecting the light we see from nearby stars. That said, I think for the purposes of C2C cosmology, the Oort cloud should exist, and it should be the outer limit of the Solar System Map.

4. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

bump for Xoatl_169

5. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

Hey, thanks. I'll just copy paste my suggestion.

Hey guys, I was playing through the game and one thing that stuck out is the lack of THINGS in the far galactic era. Heres a very very small suggestion, hope someone sees this. But for biopunk there can be a building that lets you train or just outright lets you train some sort of biological abomination(s). I don't know the stats/hammers for them, but for skins I thought the old super soldier skins for rise of mankind (or the UUs for that cthulhu religion in FFH2) would be perfect. That and I noticed this mod has no problem using skins from FFH2 so i don't think that would be a problem.

6. Hankc

Hankc Warlord

There is actually a unit from one of the FfH modmods called "Abomination", it's a Horror of Tzeentch (sp?) converted from Dawn of War. Check the Scions of Patria civ in RifE.

7. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Don't worry about that, we purposely have not added things to the Galactic Era yet, because we don't have Multi-Map capability (yet). That however is about to change, but we have TONS of ideas for stuff for the galactic Era between us, so you need not worry about a lack of future content.

I have seen those futures soldier skins/models, but I'm saving them until I know how the early TH era will look, that is also under significant renovation.

8. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

Thats great. I went back and read up on the multi-map compatibility. It never occurred to me it would ever be possible to mod something like that into the game. But I suppose if Warlock: Master of the Arcane can do it, so can civ 4. But one question, how do you expect to create competition at that stage of the game. Usually I own most of the world at that era and I expect if any rival nation manages to create colonies on the moon or mars before I do or alongside me they will eventually stand no chance. Thats just the case in civ 4. To remedy that, will there be any alien event to spawn an alien nation on a planet triggered after a certain tech is researched or something? You know, to create a formidable foe.

Thanks for reading the suggestions.

9. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

There are several things we are doing to make more civs competative for a longer period of time

1. We are going to be making every religion-founding tech a dead-end on the tech tree, meaning that they lead to nothing. This means that if you now beeline to a religion then you have a disadvantage at both getting to other religion tech and at getting other techs that enable more stuff. This has been proposed for a while, but only now is getting implemented.

2. Once the Viewports stuff is in, Koshling plans to return to making the AI slightly smarter than a lobotimized pit bull. This is the obvious way to keep things competative.

3. Koshling also implemented an option in the GlobalDefines which is now on by default, which treats negative gold as maintainence. This both increases costs for the player (via +maintainence % buildings), and decreases them for the AI on higher diffuculty levels. I know, it's a bit of a cheat, but what do you expect on Deity?

10. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

That religion stuff sounds interesting. Im looking forward to see how you guys pull it off. By the way, I really enjoy the haven and hearth thumbnails for most of the resources :p

11. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Do you mean the crime and flammability icons?

12. Xoatl_169

Xoatl_169 Warlord

No the stuff like leather,wax,clothing,berries, etc.

13. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

I wondered who would notice where those were from. ;)

14. rightfuture

rightfuture Emperor

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash has started production to be made into a movie. Just Like Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game, and Isaac Asimov's Foundation.
    Not to forget Neuromancer - would make a great addition to the cyber-punk alternate era or the Trans-human ages.
    Looks like we're in for some great Sci-fi movies soon. I look forward to eventually exploring these ideas in C2C!

15. Azurian

Azurian The Azurian

These are all the space games I own, if you know of a good space game not listed let me know so I can play it and see if anything in it can be added to the Galactic Eras.

AI war : Fleet Command (alien Bundle)
    Galactic Civilizations II Ultimate
    Sword of the Stars Ultimate
    Sid Mielders Apha Centauri and Alien Crossfire
    Endless Space (BOUGHT IT TODAY!!)
    Distant World Legends
    Homeworld 1
    Homeworld II
    Master of Orion II
    Armada 2526 Gold
    Nexus: The Jupiter Incident
    Sins of a Solar Empire : Rebellion
    Freelancer
    Space Empires V
    Star Ruler Gold
    Space colony
    Starbase Orion
    10 Min space Strategy
    Haegemonia: Legions of Iron
    Imperium Galactica II: Alliances

16. Hydromancerx

Hydromancerx C2C Modder

In no particular order ...

1. Outpost (1994) and I suppose Outpost 2 (1997), but its not as good as the original.

2. Spore (2008) for the Space Phase.

3. I never played it but hear M.U.L.E (1983) was an awesome game.

4. Anno 2070 (2011) looks cool but I think it has strict DRM.

Note that I personally own Outpost 1, Outpost 2 and Spore (with expansions).

EDIT: And I suppose Starcraft I and II should be on the list too if we are going into sci-fi space games.

EDIT2: Here are some I have seen Quill do "Lets Plays" videos for ...

6. SunDog: Frozen Legacy (1984)

7. Fate of the World (2011) is not really scifi but goes into the near future.

17. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

Ascendancy, very old but is now an iPad game. I really liked its space ship building. You would build the hull and give it a basic engine hen move it towards the front line for upgrades to the engine and the addition of weapons and shields. ;)

18. Hale_9204

Hale_9204 Warlord

you can also look at the Mass Effect serie: it's not a strategic game like the ones linked above, but it has an interesting background to take ideas from

19. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Of course there are a bunch of space games I could name, the majority of which don't even have a line of technology tied to it. But I won't mention them. I will, however, mention the one I'm making which has a HUGE line of technology that deals from now to then which I've actually been making in parallel to giving C2C and the old ATOM the techs that I have been giving. Of course there's been a few techs that I haven't released here as I want to release it first as a part of my game but I could give Hydro my notes and see if he's up to making any additions with what I have - given we handle them with excessive caution.

@MrAzure
    While looking at other games for the Galactic era is fine, please do note that the majority of technologies would not fit in with C2C from a purely theoretically correct point of view. In addition, I'd like to point out that C2C and ATOM were and still are about the HOW of tech A to tech Z instead of just piling up content from techs delta, zeta and pita. Those don't fit in A to Z and I think I'd be right in saying we'd (Hydro, SO, others and I) like to keep it within the confines of A to Z and show the HOW instead of the WHAT like what you are trying to compile.

Don't get me wrong, we love your ambition, but your ambition is pointed in the wrong direction. Also, as others have mentioned, please keep all your thoughts documented and open for display for others to comment on. I know back when I was working on ATOM that I had to wait for Hydro to comment to continue work and Hydro would direct my list back at me with tweaks. Before we knew it we had a working tech list that many others envied. You have to slow down and do the same. If you want to work on C2C and legitimate additions, please be courteous to others and the project as a whole and abstain from radical ideas that would otherwise be tossed in a second or would be redundant or trivial in the scope of C2C's goal.

20. Prophet Iacobus

Prophet Iacobus Chieftain

@Hydromancerx, in your original post you forgot giant and supergiant for star size and you forgot mass effect relays for propulsion.;)

Otherwise very cool looking!!!:cool::thumbsup: