C3C Epsilon Epic Continents 4+4

Hey,

Congratz indeed.

The movement was a bug as I can do it without the unrest. But I'll give it a go if you both want to. It will mean that I'll have to be carful with my moves.

This bug was the reason for the Mayans mass suicide. I knew my troops could venture anywhere in his territory but didn't have the forces to destory him completely. His counterattack would have destoryed me. I also believe the Fall of the Mayans was the 2 weeks I had a sub. Somehow I went from tech trade talks with Japan to no trade at all. Was good to see the "Wall" tho. :D

We only dog piled you cos we knew you were going to win. Didn't expect to stop it as we didn't have strong enough units and no time to develop the tech for them. But thought there was a long shot that we could wear you down by numbers alone.

Wasn't there a time, long ago that the Mayans wrote somewhere about the need to ally against the monster called Japan?

edit: I'll go along with what ever starting stats you want. Russians Aye? Scouts Aye?

The Mayan Priest-King's Ghost

Hey,
Wasn't there a time, long ago that the Mayans wrote somewhere about the need to ally against the monster called Japan?
The Mayan Priest-King's Ghost

Yes that is true, but at the time the Romans had just been threatened by the Mayan Priest-King and were friends with Japan. Plus Emperor Hawklord was busy trading up his technology for rubber and the tension served him well at that time ;)

Hey,

I loved that part of the game. :p

Anyway I would ask for Egypt & my name as Imhotep Gator. :D

The whole random name was Professor Imhotep Gator for a cartoon
network game. You get all 3 by individual random generators.

I really need this game to. 1 PBEM & 2 NES, well 1 NES soon, just isn't doing it.

Blaze Injun

So they Rusians, the Incas, and the Egyptians are taken. :think:

I would be honored to play in an epic game with the big boys. :worship:

It should keep me running. :eekdance:

I shall return with a Tribe choice.

I like the name, you should drop Blaze Injun and use that. :lol:

Although I had enough trouble spelling Blaze Injun wrong what chance have I with Imhotep Gator (cut and paste this ) :crazyeye:

As mentioned above I’d like to post some thoughts about the game. Especially the things about the beginning are only from memory and might not be 100% precise.

I took this game over from classical_hero in 290 BC (turn 113). The mayans already had eliminated the Mongols at hat time (or at least Mongols were down to one town). At that point the game was still in the expansion phase. But already at that point I was concerned about the fact of being sandwiched between America and The Mayans. But I knew Greybeard as a rather peaceful player and quickly made some long term treaties with bath to ensure peace from that side. After researching Gunpowder, I recognized that there were three sources of saltpetre within or at least rather close to my empire. There was a little some tension between America and myself for one of these sources, but I drew back from forcing my way towards that saltpetre, as I already had saved the two others and I did not want to risk war.

In between there were several replacements for Rome and the more important one for The Mayans, when Blaze Injun joined the game, replacing bathsheba666 in December 2007.

At one point, I tried to invade France, for which purpose I had built a bunch of Samurais, which I thought would be enough to conquer that backward any tiny country. I was drastically underestimating the numbers of archers France had at hand and drastically overestimating the high defence of the Samurai. I was simply overrun by French troops and returned with what was left over to Japan. This was the short, but pity story of the Samurai :(. This was my only military action until the great (but short) Japanese-Mayan War much later in the game.

Then in beginning of 2008 Greygamer (Rome) just disappeared and for I started losing interest in the game, as the regular replacements really annoyed me, as it is rather difficult to start over again and again with negotiating treaties and other things. Also Blaze indicated at that time that he would not hesitate to leave the game (as he was in only for a few turns at that time). At this time Hawklord joined the game and after Blaze said he would stay, I also was willing to continue.

After that there was a bunch of races for great wonders between America, Maya and Japan, which was a rather funny. After Japan won the race for the first (I was in my Golden Age), I got congratz from The Mayan Priest-King. After winning the second he already threw up in the forum :).

Then all of a sudden in August 2008 Greybeard was gone. I still hope that nothing serious happened to him!! On top of that Blaze seemed to have lost interest in Civ3 and announced to stop playing. Here it was clear for me that I would leave the game for reasons mentioned before. After quite some time, Blaze returned and wanted to continue as the Mayans and then finally in February 2009 Eclipse joined us. So I came to the conclusion to give it one last try. And as you all know, there would not be further need for replacements :).

Back to the race for the wonders: when the third wonder came close to completion The Mayan Priest-King threatened (promised) with burning his capital. But when the time came, he did not burn his capital. He just burned a letter with talk about eternal friendship and such things). Well, tension between Japan and the Mayans grew step by step at that time.
From a militaristic point of view, at this point I was much weaker than both, America and the Mayans. From a scientific point of view, I started to be ahead of everybody. At the end of the Medieval Age, All three civs on my continent were about the same level tech wise. But from the beginning of the Industrial Age, I was able to research much faster than everybody else. I could do every tech in 4-5 turns throughout the IA. Still, I am not sure why. The fact that I had built both Cope’s Observatory and Newton’s could not have made such a big difference. Maybe the fact that I let all my core cities grow to metros of around size 17-19 was critical. Not 100% sure, though.

One more important thing to mention is that I took advantage of the (at that time) technically way backwards Romans. For luxuries and later rubber, I paid with techs, bringing them into the Industrial Age far more quickly than they could have done on their own.

Nonetheless for most of the Industrial Age, I hoped that neither of my two neighbours decided to attack me, as I was very weak towards both of them, while concentrating on research. Luckily both of them started military campaigns at other points. The Mayans started to settle the Roman-Carthaginian continent, to support Rome in fighting the Arabs and the Carthaginians (or maybe to gain a foothold for possible new resources?). Some time later Rome was not very happy about the Mayan’s presence. At about the same time, America tried to raid the French continent. I was just happy about them looking at other places than mine.

When I recognized that nobody could keep up my research pace, I decided to go for a Space Race victory. At that time, I thought with superior tech, I could hold off every attack by my neighbours. But when I reached the modern times and researced Rocketry, I recognized that I had no aluminium within my territory. This was besides rubber already the second important resource I didn't have within my territory. Rubber was not that much of a problem, as I received it from the Romans all the time. I concentrated on building the SS parts that required rubber first and that worked out. The modern resources were muc more of a problem, because even if my compettitors were willing to give me the resource, they needed to be in the modern times, too. And when I reached modern times everybody also was only about 2/3 through the Industrial Age. The only source of aluminium on our continent was in Mayan territory. Although I really didn't want any military actions, I had no choice at that point. In the meantime I had built up a strong and advanced military and although I promised not to be an aggressor throughout this game I had to attack The Mayans. The war went rather quick, as Blaze decided to burn down almost all of his cities, because he didn't see much sense in a war which he certanly would lose eventually.

The final resource I would need was uranium, which also was not available within my territory (even after taking over Mayan territory). But there was a source in Carthaginian territory. Thus I decided to send four modern armor armies over there to secure the source, before the Romans conquered all of Carthago.

In the final phase of the game my remaining human opponents decided to try a mass attack against me to prevent me from launching my space ship. They just could try to through everything they had against me, as their military was technologically way backwards. And I have to admit that the sheer number of units that the Americans threw at me was fearsome. Some time before, I had decided to go on wealth production in my metros to be able to run 100% scence for 4 turn research in the modern times. So I had not nearly as many modern armors, as I could have had. Furthermore I could not build any new, as I didn't have Roman rubber any longer. It took me several turns to get to American rubber, as I had no units available to attack America, as I needed all units to defend myself from hundreds of infantry units. You can see the slaughter in the battle logs.

Well, most of the following events are rather present to everybody I think, as it's only some days ago.

I want to finish this summary with a than you to those guys, who sticked to this game until the end!!! Especially as there were several times when I already had decided to leave the game.

And special thanks to Blaze Injun, who brought a special flavor to the game by creating a kind of story around the events of the game :thumbsup:

Signing off :salute:

Calis

Hey,
I like the name, you should drop Blaze Injun and use that. :lol:

Although I had enough trouble spelling Blaze Injun wrong what chance have I with Imhotep Gator (cut and paste this ) :crazyeye:
Sorry Blaze Injun was 1st. Besides I have changed my avatar already for
afew of my fellow PBEMers. :p

And special thanks to Blaze Injun, who brought a special flavor to the game by creating a kind of story around the events of the game :thumbsup:
Thanks very much. I hope everyone enjoyed the "story" or atleast
didn't mind it. Looking forward to a new one. :D
Signing off :salute:

Calis
I hope signing off means your of to start a thread for Zeta. Something to
convesre on the setup? And not signing off of PBEM with us.

Blaze Injun

Nice wrap-up, Calis.

I'll take India. Hopefully we're going with the Huge map.

I hope signing off means your of to start a thread for Zeta. Something to
convesre on the setup? And not signing off of PBEM with us.
Blaze Injun

Of course I am only signing off this game.

Regarding the Zeta game, I understood that Eclipse wanted to set it up. Furthermore his choice of tribe is missing, so it's best, he'll set it up after he made his choice.

Personally I'd also prefer a huge map.

Nice wrap up just one point.

It was Japanese and Mayan tech that pulled Rome up. Blaze was correct in that we wanted it to be Roman Rubber or no rubber :lol:

I was getting tech from both of you until I reached parity with the Mayans. With the tensions between Maya and Japan neither of you could afford to be without rubber for infantry, and other stuff later of course.

It was the only way Rome could have possibly caught up.

It's the way human players handle things like trade that make it more interesting than fighting the AI and I look forward to the next one.

Top Bottom