C3C v1.20 patch is out!!!

Things I see wrong with the patch.

First, MPTournament.biq refers to 1.18 patch.
Also it still has a Radio tech implemented.
This is also true for all other BIQ files added with Conquests.
Like Cheaper Upgrades.biq, MPFastCiv3Conquests.biq, No Civ Traits.biq, No Unique Units.biq, Quick Civ.biq, With Plague.biq, etc... They all need to be changed to reflect the newest rules.

Second, even conquests.biq is not done properly.
It still has Radio tech in its list, but as non-era tech which is added to all civs at start.
Should be deleted, since it gives some bugs, like starting game with Radio or Radio in Civilopedia.

Third, Civilopeida.txt isn't changed to reflect that Radio tech is removed. Which means that "Enables Radar Towers" entry needs to be moved from Radio to Electronics.

Fourth, as alexman reported, it looks that Civ3Conquests.exe looks for science_industrial_new.pcx for industrial era, which gives error in all scenarios. It should look to science_industrial.pcx instead, and science_industrial_new.pcx needs to replace science_industrial.pcx

Fifth: How this passed Q&A???

I fully expect 1.21 to be released ASAP to fix these issuses.

Optional: When we are there, maybe some other easy things could be fixed.
-Like adding WWII Paratrooper in list of units with ZOC in Civilopedia
-removing offense AI flag from Musketeer (PtW leftover, when it had attack of 3)
-fixing bug with Inca leader being targetable by Stl. Fighter stealth attack (this maybe is not bug since stealth attack doesn't work for air units anyway)
-and if any conquests.biq changes are done, then adding them to other optional BIQs should be done too

I really can't believe how sloppy this patch is, especially considering how long they've been working on it. I'd have been happier waiting another month or two just to make sure that all the bugs are ironed out.

Some people say that Firaxis are doing these patches as a favour, but I disagree. They sold us what constitutes a faulty product, and it should be fixed. Sometimes Civ3 seems like buying a car with no headlights, but when you go to the manufacturer to get them fitted they just re-uphulster the seats.

>> I agree wholeheartedly with Pirate: Instead of removing radio, Firaxis should have enhanced it in order to make it worth researching (a problem I never had) and enhancing gameplay. <<

I'd add a "World Service" Great Wonder. Kind of fits the bill and would make Radio a little more useful.

Originally posted by Amesjustin

They can't take it away from Firaxis anyway - Sid Meier, the founder of Firaxis, designed Civs 1, 2, and 3 and owns the rights.

Actually, Atari can. They bought the rights to it. Sid gave them up when he left Microprose to found Firaxis which owned the rights.

Not sure how this pass all the tests. 1.20 is totally unplayable. MP games can't be loaded etc. I'm really suprised, and this should be official patch, not beta. I'm just hoping rumors that this is last patch and there is no one anymore working with C3C, won't be true.

1.15 is buggy, but atleast we can play with it.

How incredibly disappointing Firaxis. Please fix these blatent errors promptly. You take months upon months to release a patch, that was supposedly going through testing these past couple of weeks, but when it comes out it plainly is broken in some regards and has glaring flaws in others. It really makes no sense and I find it quite disturbing. I'd like an explanation as to how this occured, but rather than that, just fix it and release another patch by the end of next week.

If I go into the editor, and just delete the radio tech from the game completely, since it isn't even used, will it have any affect on my games? I can't see anyway it will, but it does change it so every Civ does not start with it, which is ******ed.

Did they fixed corruption in this patch, aka made the FP worthwhile again?

Well so far i got a good reason to NOT switch to any new patches

1) the patches keep getting worst and worst, arte they even trying or is this juz what they do in there spare..maybe they are busy with civ4..i duno. But clean up u're mess ffs

2) more problems added then seem fixed

3) only thing i like is the Histograf of the defeated AI

4) if this is what there priority looks like....

5) I honestly think sum ppl on this forum can do a better job ALL ALONE

now that thats of my chest, i got dinner...:goodjob:

I'm now hoping that this is really sick April Fools' joke. Can't think any other way to get this patch trought all the tests.

I've done some work as a software tester in the past. I'm sure this thing *didn't* get past testing, but Firaxis released it anyway. It's amazing some of the politics that goes on in software development. For some reason, management decided not to listen to QA.

There's no way an even half-way competent tester would have missed these bugs. Heck, none of you are professional testers, and you have found all these bugs within days of playing the game.

Management ignored QA and released this crap anyway. Of course, this is assuming they tested it at all.

Yeah, I'm studying this area also in university and I know professional software programmer/tester wouldn't miss this kind of issues.

Oh yeah! The changes to the industrial age tech tree make a huge difference.. in a good way!

I only play SP or PBEM and I really like the patch. I'm sure they will release another patch soon to take care of the civilopedia and MP issues.

BTW, I tried to load a savegame from 1.15b with the new patch installed and guess what? The new tech tree changes are there!
Weird, but it's a darn good thing that the new changes works with old savegames.

I doubt that it is the end of the official support for Conquests. Although it is disappointing at how it is done and the lack of explanation over some issues, this patch did fix some problems and did create more (some major) problems.
To be honest, I have been supporting Firaxis (and I still do) but I think they could have done a better job at fixing other bugs such as the sub bug and testing it further to make sure it is a quality patch when release date comes. I may be wrong about this but lets not freak out now...It's just a game.

Top Bottom