Calls for a boycott of Thor over the casting of a black actor

And the Battle of Guilford? Sorry Mel, but you guys actually lost that one.
The Patriot was supposed to be depicting the Battle of Cowpens, actually. Which the rebels did, in fact, win.

The Patriot was supposed to be depicting the Battle of Cowpens, actually. Which the rebels did, in fact, win.

Actually your both wrong/right. The name and winning side is from Cowpens but Greene and Cornwallis including his order to attack the rebels and his own troops with his artillery is from Guilford.

Actually your both wrong/right. The name and winning side is from Cowpens but Greene and Cornwallis including his order to attack the rebels and his own troops with his artillery is from Guilford.
Oliver Stone included parts of the Battle of Issos in his depiction of the Battle of Gaugamela in Alexander, but that doesn't mean you can call the Battle of Gaugamela scene in that movie "Issos".

Oliver Stone included parts of the Battle of Issos in his depiction of the Battle of Gaugamela in Alexander, but that doesn't mean you can call the Battle of Gaugamela scene in that movie "Issos".

No you call it composite of two battles that someone thought where similar.

And the Battle of Guilford? Sorry Mel, but you guys actually lost that one.
Actually your both wrong/right.
Ok, if we're going to be like this, I'm going to be pedantic and say we're both right.
I was right in saying the Battle of Guilford was lost. Dachs could be, and I assume is, right the Patriot was supposed to be depicting the Battle of Cowpens.

:p

There's also this. I know it was a terrible movie but even if it had been a good movie...

Hollywood mixing up the races of adaptations is seriously nothing new, but we're supposed to be offended because they made Thor black?

M. Night Shmalaymamanamanananaanman ruins everything. God I hate him.

Um....
<snip>
[/IMG]
RIP.
madviking heartily disapproves of non-Vikings protraying Vikings.
COME AT ME BRO! COME AT ME!
I've always seen Thor as a Norseman, if suddenly he changed skin tone I wouldn't recognize him... Not that I really mind, though. It's just different from the Thor that has been depicted for decades, right?
Heimdall, not Tor.

-

Thrymskvitha said:
Gylfaginning said:

:goodjob:

In any case, can't gods take whatever humanoid forms they want? If Heimdall wants to be black, let him be black. He can do whatever he god-be-damned wants. Just because the average Scandinavian didn't know about the existence of dark-skinned humans doesn't mean that the gods didn't.

As long as it doesn't affect the story/is brought up and as long as his character doesn't turn into the Magic Negro or acts in a stereotypical way, I doubt I'd care.

You've seen it?

Only just the preview. And pretty much every other movie similar to it from Marvel. I dont expect this one to be any different.

Do you think it will be different?

No, it's a composite of facial reconstructions based on the mortal remains of Jewish dudes from around the time period during which Jesus is supposed to have hung around in Galilee. It bears the same resemblance to Jesus' face as this face bears to any given modern white woman.
Also, there's a good chance that Jesus may have spent much of his ministry as a Nazirite, so the head could be as reasonably topped off with a set of gnarly dreads as with the common style of the time.

Actually, Much Ado About Nothing is the only movie I've ever seen Denzel Washington in. I thought he played the part very well. And since the Branagh version was taken out of its proper time period anyway, what difference does it make if a black man portrayed a Spaniard, when there were already lots of black men in Spain?

Given the proximity of Spain to North Africa, and given the mortality of women in childbirth in the era, 2 brothers of different mothers and the same father with one of the mothers African or African decent shouldn't be surprising at all.

Funny how both that movie and Thor are/were made by Kenneth Branagh

I don't think Scandinavians from 1,000 years ago felt a lot of pressure for interracial inclusiveness in their religion.

I don't think Scandinavians from 1,000 years ago felt a need to make a marvel-superhero from their gods. Marvel-Thor & Co. is only marginaly connected to the old norse mythology. A blond, beardless guy with wings on his helmet? I think not. To them Thor had beard, red hair, and nowhere in that area in that age had wings on their helmets.

Is Marvel-Heimdal black? Who cares. Its not supposed to be a accurate representation of viking mythology to begin with.

... oh by the way, sometimes in ancient norse sources, Thor is female. :D

For extra comic effect from the Wikipedia article on Heimdall:

Heimdall (Old Norse Heimdallr, modern Icelandic Heimdallur) is one of the æsir (gods) in Norse mythology, in the Edda called the "white god" (hvíta ás).

Got to wonder if that's deliberate.

Theres a small glitch in the translation. Hvíta ás translates as "Wide bottom".

<badatish.wav>

I don't think Scandinavians from 1,000 years ago felt a need to make a marvel-superhero from their gods. Marvel-Thor & Co. is only marginaly connected to the old norse mythology. A blond, beardless guy with wings on his helmet? I think not. To them Thor had beard, red hair, and nowhere in that area in that age had wings on their helmets.

Just because I've been following this film for a while, I'll nitpick and point out that Thor will in fact have a beard:

Honestly I kind of picture Thor to look Scandinavian since he is a deity of old Norse mythology not African mythology.

This makes about as much sense as making a civil war movie and having the actor who plays Abraham Lincoln be a black man.

Honestly I kind of picture Thor to look Scandinavian since he is a deity of old Norse mythology not African mythology.

This makes about as much sense as making a civil war movie and having the actor who plays Abraham Lincoln be a black man.

Abraham Lincoln existed. Thor did not.

Top Bottom