Camping

Camping when you can bring a car to the campsite is a whole different thing to hiking in. I have not done the hiking in thing for years, since being an adult really. It is much more hardcore.
I don't think it's THAT hardcore depending on how far you plan to go and the temperature. Otherwise why even bring a tent? I'd rather stay in the car with an air pad.

I don't think it's THAT hardcore depending on how far you plan to go and the temperature. Otherwise why even bring a tent? I'd rather stay in the car with an air pad.
A big reason a tent is better than a car is that they can be dark. In the UK in the summer the sun rises really early, and these new style of blackout tents are so good that you do not have to get up with the sun. A tent is also warmer than a car, and I think you can get more comfortable with a large flat area to set your bed.

I respect you for doing the hiking in. You can get to much more of the world that way.

A big reason a tent is better than a car is that they can be dark. In the UK in the summer the sun rises really early, and these new style of blackout tents are so good that you do not have to get up with the sun. A tent is also warmer than a car, and I think you can get more comfortable with a large flat area to set your bed.

I respect you for doing the hiking in. You can get to much more of the world that way.

Yeah, camping in areas with less people is a lot of fun. I also don't like group shelters. I will always prefer my own tent over laying bag-to-bag in a group.

The most important thing about camping is a fire, and an area where one can collect fallen wood like a caveman.

The second most important thing about camping is a good bed. If one is alone, I rate a camp bed with a self inflating mattress on top.

Spoiler A bed like this :

Spoiler A mattress like this :

Our inflatable mattress is a large double one. Small bed take the legs off it it's that size.

Wife's not super keen on the hike in bring tent variety.
My idea if camping is a bit different than theres. More minimalist they organise as a group of 12 and bring a trailer packed full.
Last year they brought golf clubs to try various small town greens.

The last time I went camping was in the summer of 1986, to the Avacal War Games. It was an SCA crown event - a tournament held over the long weekend to choose our new prince.

Try camping in a tent while wearing a long dress and cape, with some people snarking at you for sensibly bringing a flashlight along to navigate the campsite in the dark. One guy nearly set himself on fire since he brought a candle into the biffy.

Damn may as well be glamping.

This site has fresh water and electricity.

The most important thing about camping is a fire, and an area where one can collect fallen wood like a caveman.

The second most important thing about camping is a good bed. If one is alone, I rate a camp bed with a self inflating mattress on top.

Spoiler A bed like this :

Spoiler A mattress like this :
Yes sleeping on even the thinnest mattress vs sleeping on hard ground can make the difference between miserable experience and a joyful one

Yes sleeping on even the thinnest mattress vs sleeping on hard ground can make the difference between miserable experience and a joyful one
Our inflatable bed is about 40-50cm high. It's quite comfortable.

As a kid we used stretchers. They're terrible.

Camping when you can bring a car to the campsite is a whole different thing to hiking in. I have not done the hiking in thing for years, since being an adult really. It is much more hardcore.
Yes, at a certain age strapping an 80-pound backpack on your shoulders and climbing into the mountains loses a bit of its appeal. The camping I do these days is in an RV when I go to a disc golf tourney or an out-of-state football game.

That river looks so much the Spavinaw River I swam in as a kid. The Spavinaw was spring fed and the water temperature was in the mid 60s year round. Great on a hot day.

Yes, at a certain age strapping an 80-pound backpack on your shoulders and climbing into the mountains loses a bit of its appeal. The camping I do these days is in an RV when I go to a disc golf tourney or an out-of-state football game.

That river looks so much the Spavinaw River I swam in as a kid. The Spavinaw was spring fed and the water temperature was in the mid 60s year round. Great on a hot day.
I couldn't imagine carrying an 80lb backpack far anywhere.

Top Bottom