Can you take a serious look at the technology tree please?

Does the technology tree need an update?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Szabolcs Maár

Chieftain
The upper part of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Why are we able to create caravels or frigates without researching cannon first? Why can I make nuclear submarines without even understanding how nuclear fission works?

In multiplayer, if someone is on a separate continent, it also makes the game extremely unbalanced in favor of said person.

Am I the only one who thinks it is designed badly?

The multiplayer issue was also present in Civ 5, and there's nothing much that can be done about it. Usually, for multiplayer you will want to play on Pangea so that doesn't become an issue.

There are a lot of holes in the tech tree, it seems very basic, like pikeman not upgrading until AT team?? Musketman not upgrading until infantry. Also, in my game right now its 1760 ad and two civs are in the modern era..pretty immersion breaking.

I don't see what the reasoning is behind the naval tree being almost completely separate from the main technology branch. There really needs to be more interactions between the branches. At the moment you could potentially research industrialization, or create submarines, without ever touching the mining branch. That means no bronze or iron working...

In IV some techs were linked to other techs that weren't on the same path, you'd need Masonry for some tech an era or two ahead. That would make a lot of sense as well as the added benefit of neutering Eurekas a bit.

There are a lot of holes in the tech tree, it seems very basic, like pikeman not upgrading until AT team?? Musketman not upgrading until infantry.

Yup.. that is pretty weird. Not that I ever used lancers much in the past, but pikemen going straight to AT-teams is pretty silly. Especially since there *is* more modern cavalry present in the game that could use a contemporary "anti-horse"-unit. Same goes for muskets going straight to modern infantry. Both these "jumps" ignore rapidly advancing military tech of the 18th and 19th centuries - like self-contained cartridges, the needle rifle and, indeed, rifling itself.

Coming back to the original point, the construction of frigates without having the tech to build cannon was also present in Civ V (not sure about Civ IV, haven't played that one in ages) - and it bothered me there as well. Why not give frigates two requirements? They could still get unlocked by square rigging, but you won't be able to actually build them until you also researched the cannon-tech.

I have a sneaking suspicion that some of these inconsistencies will get fixed in future expansions ... when you look at the tech-tree, there's quite a lot of blank space left to put in more techs. I just hope they already have the Sean Bean narration for those new techs - I don't think I'll be able to stand another "Beyond the Sword" with Sid himself clumsily reading out new quotes .. ;)

S.

There's lots of useless techs as it is, they need to trim and streamline the tech tree if anything IMO.

the problem with adding more interaction is that it turns it into a giant tech line instead of a tech tree

right now the research tree is basically 3 tech lines
and the civic tree is 1 tech line with 2 dead-ends

for eurekas and inspirations to be interesting, i think they need an actual tech tree instead of tech lines

Nuclear submarines require Uranium, so you do need to know fission to get them.

They could make Frigates require Niter, for that same effect.

There are quite a few issues with "missing" connections between techs.

The biggest problem in my eyes is that the player can easily beeline Chemistry, which picks up a ton of ueseful stuff on the way (Commercial Districs, Industrial Districts, Universities) and rewards him with the Research Lab AND the AT-Gun at the end. So not only do you get the strongest science building, but you also grab a very powerful unit without any resource requirement on top of that.

The tech tree will always need an update, more so with the separation and installation of the civics tree. It would be possibly easier get logical connections made between the techs now that they don't have to make room for social advancement "techs" as well. However, this seems like a culture in civ games. I mean, I remember when I launched the Hubble space telescope without discovering the combustion engine in Civ 5. I know Civ 6 took a lot of inspirations from games like Europa Universalis, so perhaps they add some "key techs" or something that have to researched to progress into later eras, or incur a penalty (not a hard-stop), like animal husbandry, gunpowder, steam engine, etc. (but only very few, not too many, perhaps one tech per two eras).

The upper part of it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

Why are we able to create caravels or frigates without researching cannon first? Why can I make nuclear submarines without even understanding how nuclear fission works?

Am I the only one who thinks it is designed badly?
You're not the only one. I share all of your concerns. Hopefully they'll get around to fixing this in an early update.

I'd be happy if they started by actually putting icons for everything atech actually does on the tech button.

I think that tech needs to be slower to so they can put in a few more bridging units.

Top Bottom