• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[GS] Canada Discussion Thread

Both modern golf and the game tlatchli started in the 1400s
The Mesoamerican ball game is much older than golf: that's 1400 BC. :p

Are you saying that hockey isn't a religious rite in Canada? Pure blasphemy there. Go confess to our lord and saviour, Maurice Richard.
Kind of like football in the US. :cringe:

National Parks, while primarily geared towards a cultural victory, do have other benefits. Amenities are really good, and their UU does get a strength bonus near them, so it can be used defensively as well (I won't say offensively because I've never seen an AI build a national park).

National Park spots are so scarce, and battles so unlikely to take place in proximity to them unless the player initiates them, that I'm not sure this is really that significant. I may well underrate the value of amenities, but this is a very late and restricted way to obtain them - I find that national parks used for culture victory are outside my territory as often as in it, so this is not a reliable bonus.

You might be right that we're underestimating the value of the strategic resource and diplomatic favour bonuses, but both are very situational - the favour is linked to the currently limited emergency system and in most game stages the only strategic resources likely to spawn in tundra are iron and niter. England gets a comparable bonus for iron in all terrain on top of what, post-GS, look a reasonable but certainly not top-tier set of bonuses and superior UUs. Given that England is allowed those bonuses in addition to a version of Canada's resource bonus that isn't geographically limited and applies to two of the game's more important resources, I can't imagine that the strategic resource bonus by itself is strong enough to compensate for Canada's core ability being "tundra counts as grassland".

Instead of surprise war immunity they could have gotten tundra fighting buffs. Kind of like when Germany tried to attack Russia and got decimated by winter, but the Russians were OK with it.

Otherwise deal with it, can’t make every civ unique and stunning. This fits the country, Canada is just a nice and laid back place and people. What’s wrong with that?

Canada... Welcome to Civ :)

I like that Canada can not declare surprises wars, I think that is unique (like Kongo, Aztecs, Maori...) I really love that mounties create Naturals Parks!! It will be a funny civ to play. It's a fusion of Russia (tundra), America (parks) and Scotland (u know).

However, I would prefer Coureur de bois and I don't understand why Hockey is a improvement instead of a building (?)

AND I would prefer other native civ or a hispanic colonial nation... Maybe in the prox civ...

The Mesoamerican ball game is much older than golf: that's 1400 BC. :p

Kind of like football in the US. :cringe:
Well considering the Aztec Empire was founded in the 1400s A.D it wouldn't be called tlachtli until then. :p
Also when do the Ice Rinks come up. That would be funny if it were Games and Recreation since it's not at Professional Sports.

Football is even more evangelical and zealous in Texas. :rolleyes:

And this is part of the reason why I'm so disappointed with what the dev team came up with. Because none of the above is true, but it's the impression that's been left by this civ design. Contrast with a lot of the ideas on the O Canada thread for what people perhaps weren't "expecting", but were certainly hoping for.

Only the RCMP get a bonus though, so I think you're good. Plus we can only march 2 hexes south, so that means the attack peters out somewhere around Bute.

Also, we need to give you a 5 turns heads up. :)
I would like to hear what you think should be Canada's UI and UU, considering that you are a Canadian, that can better represent Canada from coast to coast, representing Quebecois just as well as other Canadians, because no one ever relies on a video game design to have an impression about a country, more like the nature of the country influences the bland game design.

Without any disrespect, Canada's design is as disappointing to you as its inclusion in the game is to us.

Well considering the Aztec Empire was founded in the 1400s A.D it wouldn't be called tlachtli until then. :p
The Mesoamerican ball game is far, far older than the Aztec. A part of me would have preferred saving it for the Maya, but it has great synergy with the Aztec so I won't complain.

I like the diplomacy traits. That feels spot-on for Canada's participation in world wars as well as peacekeeping missions.

I was apprehensive about the mounties, but having them found parks is a good ability for them.

I'm pretty meh about the tundra farms. It will work, but it's not very good for representing how Canadians use the tundra. Bonus strategic resources is good though.

The hockey rink is very sigh-inducing. I liked the idea of the railroad hotels better. But it does work well for my playstyle.

Overall, Canada looks fun.

I would like to hear what you think should be Canada's UI and UU, considering that you are a Canadian, that can better represent Canada from coast to coast, representing Quebecois just as well as other Canadians, because no one ever relies on a video game design to have an impression about a country, more like the nature of the country influences the bland game design.

As a non-Canadian I would say:

UI: Sugar Bush.
UU: Shock trooper. (WWI style infantry, gets bonus against fortified units.)

I don't expect Canada to be overpowered but I do expect them to have a decent niche playstyle. Namely, they can truly, on any difficulty, be a builder civ, and they can build out in parts of the map that no one else wants (Except for Russia, and we'll see with Sweden.) Say what you will about the Ice Rink and the Mounties (yes they're cheesy but I like civs to have identifiable visual flavor to their empires, and Canada definitely has that) but the UA and ULA are well-founded historically and show decent design for a (mostly) peaceful Civ.

Anyway, to me one of the big deals here is the double-strategic-resource-extraction. As we know, in GS certain units, and electrified cities, will require extracted resources per turn. We also know that Canada doesn't need to worry about surprise wars, a.k.a the AI's #1 favorite type of war, and we know that you'll be able to trade for diplomatic favor.

What this adds up to is a civ that can go crazy on strategic resources throughout the game and hold a reserve of them for trading, getting diplomatic favor or allies in wars they can see coming from a mile away. They can get the strategic resources no one else wants to settle near because they can build farms in tundra, and buy up the key tiles around them for dirt-cheap.

Again, I don't think they'll be OP (at all) but I think they'll be able to hold their own if played to their strengths and not to the strengths of other civs.

Well, YouTube comments seem to enjoy Canada's presence and believe it's fun. Until we get a Christina/Dido/Eleanor...

which made me wonder if rejection for modern nations is a majority feeling among fans of the game or just a limited group here.

Top Bottom